PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Trade Federation's MTT Vehicle?

Tycho
09-14-2009, 12:10 AM
I have started a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Trade Federation's MTT vehicle from The Phantom Menace).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Trade Federation's MTT from The Phantom Menace?

I envision this vehicle for the $50 price range possibly. At least it should be.

They could make this as large as the AT-TE but not price it so high.
I don't think this think should come with any electronics and basically be almost a hollow shell with an extending battle droid storage rack on the inside. You could use it to carry other figures, but the droids could fold up on the rack for deployment into action. Maybe let the front cannons fire plastic missiles.

What would it say if electronics were installed? "Rodger-Rodger." Maybe have some blaster firing noises?

Do you want it made? How about for a $70 price range or higher and have it also launched wheel-mode Destroyer Droids?

Should it be electronic and be $100?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

This vehicle hasn't been seen that much in Clone Wars, but I'm sure it is still in use. Would more appearances on the show help it sell? Is it cool enough that you want to see the animated series feature it more?

El Chuxter
09-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Funny thing, even though I've cut out most vehicles, I might actually get this one. I'd be on the fence depending on how well it's done and how much it costs, and scale issues would be a killer, but count me as a yes.

Devo
09-14-2009, 05:20 AM
I'd buy this provided they didn't turn it into a tiny vehicle. It would need to be able to fit 1 AAT tank and an extending rack or 2 of battle droids for me to consider it worthwhile since thats what its purpose was in the film. But yes its one of the very few prequel vehicles I would now consider buying along with Dookus solar sailor.

Darth Metalmute
09-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Correctly done, this vehcle shouldn't cost less than $100 dollars. I can't see it being the size of the AT-TE and being able to house an ATT. MY big factor is it has to come with Battle droid racks and it has to come with the BD's to fill those. The BD's have to be able to fold. If those options are not available, then I'll pass.

Blue2th
09-14-2009, 07:23 AM
I would definitely buy this. As was said it has to be able to store droids hanging on the racks like in Phantom Menace.

Hasbro is already making the new Battle Droid sculpt that folds. We got a preview of the new one in the upcoming Target Geonosis 2-packs, so that's a start.

The MTT has already been seen in Clone Wars, though those are gray and blue. I would rather have the Brown one first.

I don't know what play features you could put on it other than what's mentioned.
Hidden wheels of course.

pbarnard
09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
This has Clone Wars vehicle/line written all over it. I guess it would all depend on how the droid rack mechanism works, if at all. That is the make or break feature.

TheDarthVader
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I am going to go with a close NO on this one. I am just not interested in this one. *shrug*

vger
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd buy it. My Separatist/Trade Federation army looks too small compared to my Clone Army. The baddies need some big vehicles too!

Ando
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
The rack system would need to be modular and removeable so you could put an AAT inside if you wanted to.

I would buy it at 50, 75, or even 100 dollars if done correctly. LEGO's was pretty awesome and I wish I had gotten it when it was available, but at the time I wasn't collecting LEGO's.

I realize LEGO's business model and Hasbro's are VERY different, but LEGO shows Hasbro up ALL THE TIME and they are making a hard run for my toy money every time they put out a new SW set.

DarkArtist
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Most definately.... this is such a cool vehicle and wouold love to see it get the 3.75" treatment.. maybe include 10 new SA battle droids that can fold up into the storage mode and include the small transport sled as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd get it, but it's so big and doesn't do anything but transport droids, so I can't see them getting around to this. I suppose they could give it a bunch of firing missiles and things, and kind of re-brand it as the CIS's equivalent to the Turbo Tank. The part in TPM where these deploy the droids is always amazing, but is that enough to justify a $100 toy? I don't think so. It was in Liberty on Ryloth, but again, it was just for transport. This would need more exposure and action to get made.

bigbarada
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Back around 1999-2002 I would have built an entire droid army in anticipation for this vehicle, but today it's a solid "no" from me.

Devo
09-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Hasbro is already making the new Battle Droid sculpt that folds.

Sure the battle droids from 1999 could do that. Thats not a new innovation.

Darth Jax
09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
No thanks. This thing needs to be massive and accomodate lots of folding droids. The price of $100 would keep me from getting it. Going at a cheaper pricepoint would make it so small that i wouldn't be interested

Snowtrooper
09-14-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd say yes, but only if its around $60 and only if they can get the droid deployment mechanism to work in a neat way. It would have a much better chance as a midsized vehicle rather than a $100+ full sized vehicle. Its one that I wouldn't mind at all if it was undersized.

Devo
09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
No thanks. This thing needs to be massive and accomodate lots of folding droids. The price of $100 would keep me from getting it. Going at a cheaper pricepoint would make it so small that i wouldn't be interested

I guess that illustrates the delicate balance Hasbro have to take into consideration. Clearly you want it to be big but you wouldn't be willing to pay the current 'big' prices. Therefore Hasbro won't make a given item if they suspect people will feel this way. And they did recently say the MTT was unlikely didn't they.

DarkJedi5
09-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Where do people get the idea that the MTT should be able to house an ATT? I couldn't find anything anywhere about them being able to deploy the tanks and I don't recall seeing it in any of the films or the tv show. I think this thing would have to be pretty big though, about on par with the Turbo Tank sounds about right. For it to accommodate a droid rack that has (what I would consider a minimum) two tiers tall the front nose would have to be pretty big. I don't see it being able to fit more than a dozen droids on the racks but that's fine because buying that many droids would be a chore. Anyway, Tycho's questions:

What would it say if electronics were installed? "Rodger-Rodger." Maybe have some blaster firing noises?
I think the "Roger, Roger" is a given, I'd also include an order to deploy droid racks, the beeping noise that it made when it deploys the droid rack, some laser sounds and other OOM-9 dialogue from TPM or Clone Wars.

Do you want it made? How about for a $70 price range or higher and have it also launched wheel-mode Destroyer Droids?
Yes I would love to see this made (but only in TPM paint scheme!) I think $70 is about right but $100 would be okay if done well. I don't really like the launching destroyer droids, they're fun to launch but that is the extent of their "playability" and they are really hard to display.

Should it be electronic and be $100?
I think the sound effects are important, I'm not sure how much dialogue you would need though. I also think it would be important to have the nose flip up and the racks deploy like the doors on the AT-TE. I guess it's not really an electronic feature but it is really cool.

What other features would you want on it?
I'd say put pop-out guns everywhere. The more missiles this thing fires the more kids will like it. You can have a few on the side, model them after the Turbo Tank side launchers. There's also a big empty space on the back that's like a platform. Why not have to panels that fold down to reveal a defense turret? And the cockpit should easily be able to fit two droids a pilot and a gunner in a front and back seating arrangement (like the gunship).

Why would you NOT want it?
If the scale was off. OR, even if it was perfect and everything I wanted, I would not budge, even at clearance, if it was in CW paint.

How do you think it would sell if produced?
A little more air time in the tv show, and enough missiles and cool extras and I think it could sell alright. I know Hasbro thinks that Sep stuff doesn't sell as well as Clone stuff but I think they try harder on the Clone stuff and kids can tell. On a side note, some droid focused battle packs timed to coincide with its release wouldn't hurt either.

vger
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
If Anakin and Ahsoka got to commandeer an MTT in season 2 of the Clone Wars to sneak themselves and some Clone Troopers behind the Separatist lines, I bet an MTT would sell very well!

I'd be happy with the droid holder rack either being two droids high and two droids deep on each side (holding 8 total) or one droid high and three droids deep (holding 6 total). With that, and possibly a rolled-up Destroyer Droid launcher, and a spot for a commander and a pilot/driver, maybe it could fit in the ARC-170/Y-Wing price point at around $70.

Tycho
09-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I definitely want this made. I'd buy at least 2 - to chase Qui-Gon in the swamps and to expand my Battle of Naboo lines.

I would pay about $100 for it (less is better of course - and thus I'd buy more of them for other scenes at the lower price).

I don't need electronics, but some of the suggestions made here sound way cool.

It is some sort of gear-spring mechanism that operates the AT-TE's deployment hatches on the back, as well as the Millennium Falcon's boarding ramp. But the electronics come into play with the sound effects (and lights in the BMF's case) that go with it. All that would be great.

I'd say bring on the Destroyer Droid launcher. Just make the non-transforming wheel droids wide enough so they can display "standing up" (as a wheel) and then they can be displayable in that mode.

Still, this toy - and a huge one for the Separatists - could be a lot of fun.

Darth Jax
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I guess that illustrates the delicate balance Hasbro have to take into consideration. Clearly you want it to be big but you wouldn't be willing to pay the current 'big' prices. Therefore Hasbro won't make a given item if they suspect people will feel this way. And they did recently say the MTT was unlikely didn't they.

i'm happy to pay the 'big' ticket prices for things i want. just cuz they put it in a box that says star wars doesn't make it interesting to me any longer, i broke the completist habit several years ago. i have no interest in an MTT since it looks simply like an oversized locomotive engine.

i have a BMF and AT-TE and continue to purchase the shuttle and AT-AT when they get re-released. i don't have a turbo tank (which doesn't seem star wars to me, & from it's lack of inclusion in the initial movies it doesn't seem very star wars to the people that made ESB & ROTJ better than ANH and vastly superior to the prequels).

i would love to purchase an upgraded AT-AT (even at a higher pricepoint).

Obsession is Nute
09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes. I would buy this one, regardless of size. However, I don't see Hasbro risking making this one of the BIG vehicles. I think they would forget scale and do a $20-30 dollar vehicle.

Tycho
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
The MTT has been doing extremely well, now winning by "Yes votes" 15-4.

I think it's easily the most-wanted PT vehicle.

Dom
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
100% It has a bunch of potential. If the droid racks had extra, they could release extra BP with droids.

Its a really iconic vehicle (for me at least, one of the best TPM bits), however the total lack of this in the CW, AOTC and ROTS puts the odds against it.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
The first LEGO version is very nifty, the second looked good too. But it's just too big and doesn't do enough, I couldn't justify $65 or $100 on it, and that's too bad, but that's what it'd take minimum to get made. So "no".

Tycho
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
This vehicle saw very strong support from our members on the site.

It would be great if the Separatists saw a large ground vehicle like the Republic has in the AT-TE and the Turbotank.

Also, it could be a fun design to deliver your battle droid army into combat with.

Tycho
02-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Big vehicles: original releases from back to vintage days:

ANH - Millennium Falcon
ESB - AT-AT
ROTJ - Imperial Shuttle
TPM - Queen's Royal Starship
AOTC - Republic Gunship
ROTS - ARC-170 Fighter

Note the vehicles getting smaller (in actual film scale) compared to the toy still making the big vehicle pricepoint. What I mean is the ARC-170 is a 3-person / 1 droid fighter not really comparable to the Millennium Falcon, but economics dictated we got that.

Super Big vehicles to date

ANH - Big Millennium Falcon (MF2)
ESB - Big AT-AT (just shown at TF)
ROTJ - ????

We do not need a super-big Imperial Shuttle.

Jabba the Hutt's sailbarge is the natural choice here for 2011 or 2012!!!

With the PT, we got the AT-TE and the TurboTank. If TPM gets representation, the MTT is a must here.

Warped
02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
If it was built sturdy I would buy it. $100 for ships is getting old.

Tycho
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
In the latest Q&A, one of the other sites asked about Hasbro making this vehicle and they said it was on their radar now.

Unfortunately, they also said it would not be as large as the TurboTank and in the $100 price point.

It would be deliberately underscaled moreso.

I want this vehicle myself and will take a wait-and-see outlook on whether I'd buy what they produce.

Let my vote be very clear: it was for a full-size (TurboTank proportionate) MTT.

DarkJedi5
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree with Tycho, I'm really not interested in a starfighter sized MTT, I want a Separatist Turbo Tank.