PDA

View Full Version : Desert Sport Skiff re-release - yes, seriously

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
According to EE (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS93834), they're repainting Luke's old skiff thing, putting Anakin on there, giving him some weird accessories, and putting it in the deluxe line. That is just surreal.

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Oh. MY. GOD!!

That is so incredibly freakin' AWESOME!! A Cruisemissile re-release cannot be far behind, along with (dare I dream?) Boba Fett's big honkin' backpack and Han Solo's wicked sweet Smuggler Pack!!!

I only hope they put a hole in Anakin's back to connect a backpack that isn't included!

Slicker
09-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Oh. MY. GOD!!

That is so incredibly freakin' AWESOME!! A Cruisemissile re-release cannot be far behind, along with (dare I dream?) Boba Fett's big honkin' backpack and Han Solo's wicked sweet Smuggler Pack!!!

I only hope they put a hole in Anakin's back to connect a backpack that isn't included!I thought the EXACT same thing!!! Crowd Control Stormie as well!!!

Ando
09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I saw this on EE this morning as well.

They may actually be out of ideas. Of they're effing with us to see what we'll actually buy.

If they repack/repaint the Lars Homestead and include AOTC Beru and Owen, then we'll know it too be true.

Snowtrooper
09-17-2009, 11:46 AM
The whole deluxe line wreaks of cheapness.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2009, 12:03 PM
The whole deluxe line wreaks of cheapness.
Some of the new items are quite nice - the redone AT-RT, the Freeco speeder, etc. They're just so few and far between that the line seems overrun with repacked stuff.

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 12:12 PM
They had seriously better re-pack the Crowd Control Backpack with Clonetroopers.

JediTricks
09-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I saw that, and my jaw dropped. At first I thought they were merely paying homage to it, then I looked closer and saw it was the real mccoy. Talk about cheeseball! That toy clearanced out 14 years ago because of its massive suck, and now they want double its price?!?

That crowd control backpack better have a harness this time, that giant peg jammed into the figure's back would be bullcrap, and impossible on a modern mid-torso-jointed clone.

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
They didn't do a single bit of re-tooling for the Skiff, it looks like, so why would you expect them to change the Crowd Control Backpack? It would need the useless claw and the hoses that don't stay connected to be totally AWESOMES!!!!

Okay, totally honest, I really think the concepts behind the Crowd Control Stormtrooper and Han's Smuggler Pack are at least as solid as the Cruisemissile Trooper. The Sport Skiff, not so much; it's not totally out of the realm of possibility for Luke to have what's basically a scooter, but why's a kid need giant cannons on it? And the Boba Fett Super-Omega-Kick-Your-Butt Superlaser Jetpack With Massive Wings & Multiple Cannons P-chew, P-chew! Backpack is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, even counting that guy who was protesting with the "Get a brain, moran!" sign.

It'd be interesting to see how the EU has to twist itself around to explain Luke and Anakin using the same Sport Skiff, though. And, really, how many freaking times can Anakin go back to Tatooine? Did he eventually go all Dark Side because the Council kept sending him to where his mother died in his arms and it just finally made him snap?

DarkArtist
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I think Hasbro is sorta dropping the ball on this as well as the 2010 Battle Packs for the Legacy series.... nothing but straight repaints / repacks.....

the Anakin Figure with the desert skiff does look like a new version of Anakin so it might be something to see but at this rate they are easy passes in my book

Blue2th
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Is this a reworked Skiff or a just a regurge of the old one?

Out of all the EU POTF2 Stuff I bought, this is the one thing I didn't buy. I might be missing Han and his smuggler's pack though, because I gave away some stuff.

The only reason I have Boba Fett and his giant jetpack and didn't give it away or open it to enjoy, is because he's missing the dot completely on his left hand, and I read somewhere he's worth $500 bucks. :eek:

clone157
09-17-2009, 07:25 PM
I kind of like the Anakin in the pack, it's kind of a throw back to the McQ Luke. I agree that the repacks gotta stop. Take the opportunity to improve these things, please. Give us a reason to buy them, because you are killing the ranks of the MOC collector.

IG 8D8
10-02-2009, 06:33 PM
i think it's hilarious, they keep selling things that are repainted or slightly different than the original

morpheus282
10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I think I still have the late 90's version in a box somewhere. I've heard you're old when your clothes come back into style, are you really really old when your toys come back into style - twice?

I like the look of the new AT-RT and I'll probably get one, chuck the animated clone into my kid's stash and replace it with a Legacy Kashyyyk trooper. Other than that, I'm out on the rest of this assortment. That goes double for the desert sport skiff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I actually got this set today. The skiff has been repainted, but I don't think you'll tell a huge difference unless you compare the two. The new one has fewer garish orange parts, isn't molded in that odd spotted plastic that was in vogue in the '90s, and has a little logo on the front of what looks like maybe a Krayt dragon.

Anakin is the same version from the STAP battle pack, repainted to be a little more show-accurate. The poncho is molded plastic and sits a little too high on his shoulders. The facemask is very reminiscent of Darth Vader, with the eyes, nose, and mouth piece being in the same shape but larger (maybe too much so).

It's an alright set, but a definite flashback to the '90s aesthetic that feels somewhat out of place with the rest of the modern stuff.

morpheus282
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think the original mold had any orange parts...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/06/Desertsportskiff.JPG/800px-Desertsportskiff.JPG

Daryl VayDar
02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
What an awesome picture! Look at his eyes- goes to show that wonky paint apps are nothing new with this line...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I don't think the original mold had any orange parts...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/06/Desertsportskiff.JPG/800px-Desertsportskiff.JPG
Aside from all those orange accents, you mean? :p Maybe to you they look red.

morpheus282
02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Honestly, yes - they do look red. I just pulled mine out of storage and the paint looks very red. When I think of "garish orange parts", I think of things like this (http://toysheik.com/images3/05302008027.JPG).

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 06:04 PM
In some cosmic scheme of things, the re-release of the Desert Sport Skiff was required to balance the concentrated AWESOME of getting Teek, Kaink, Jabba's dais, a new AT-AT, and the Cloud Car in a single year. The Mayans predicted too much awesomeness in the Star Wars line would end the world in 2012, so Hasbro has decided to prevent that by releasing some of the awesomeness early, and including a few crap pieces to balance it to a more cosmically balanced level of coolness overall.

morpheus282
02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
In some cosmic scheme of things, the re-release of the Desert Sport Skiff was required to balance the concentrated AWESOME of getting Teek, Kaink, Jabba's dais, a new AT-AT, and the Cloud Car in a single year. The Mayans predicted too much awesomeness in the Star Wars line would end the world in 2012, so Hasbro has decided to prevent that by releasing some of the awesomeness early, and including a few crap pieces to balance it to a more cosmically balanced level of coolness overall.

I can get behind that theory.

morpheus282
02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I ran across this thing last night at Walmart. I can see it being fun for kids, but it looks like the exact same hunk of crap that I picked up on clearance over a decade ago.

Has anyone seen the AT-RT yet?

JediTricks
02-16-2010, 07:10 PM
The funny thing is, this turkey actually makes more sense in this context. It's still not very fun and not very good-looking or Star Warsy, but it fits better.

clone157
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Has anyone seen the AT-RT yet?

Yep, saw them 2 days ago at Wally World. Not that impressed by them, I was hoping they could be folded up and put in the back of my AT-TE. They need more articulation.

DarkArtist
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
spotted the Anakin set the other day at Walmart and was somewhat interested but not interested enough to drop the $16.99 for the set... unfortunately someone beat me to all the AT-RT's..... those i would have dropped the $$$ on.

morpheus282
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I still haven't seen any AT-RTs. Probably just as well, after seeing a size comparison between them, the AT-AP, and the new AT-ST I'm probably going to pass.

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
What's making me sad is that these are selling in my area. It also means I keep missing the AT-RTs.

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 06:49 PM
If they're selling, Hasbro will definitely make the Smuggler's Flight Pack and Crowd Control Clonetrooper next!

Darth Jax
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
and then hopefully a cruisemissile trooper then and now pack (ala the joe snowmobile pack)

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I would give my left boy part for a "then and now" Cruisemissile set.