PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Senator Amidala's Star Cruiser Vehicle?

Tycho
09-17-2009, 05:35 AM
I have started a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Senator Amidala's Star Cruiser Vehicle from Attack of the Clones).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Senator Amidala's Star Cruiser Vehicle from Attack of the Clones?

I envision this vehicle for the $70 price range possibly.

They could make this about the size of the ARC 170 but because it is a new and never-released-before-mold, it might justify the cost.

This vehicle would have to come with electronics to make it more exciting but it should also seat Anakin, Padme (at pilot stations), and C-3PO on a fold-down chair. There should also be a station for R2-D2. Fold-out landing gear would also be very cool, and a boarding ramp, too.

What would it say if electronics were installed? I think it should have Samuel L. Jackson's voice (as Master Mace Windu): "Anakin - protect the Senator at all costs."

Do you want it made? How about for a lower price range?

What features would you have to have on it?

What could you leave out and still have yourself wanting to purchase this ship were Hasbro to make it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

This vehicle was seen in the first Cartoon Network Clone Wars, but I'm sure it is still in use. Would more appearances on the show help it sell? Is it cool enough that you want to see the animated series feature it more?

pbarnard
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Nope. Not gonna want it; and won't regret it at all if $70. They'll never get the chrome/shine right on it ever, and trying to do it myself is just too frustrating.

Darth Jax
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
nope. don't want or need it.

if produced it needs to have a button that does everything though. hasbro could cheat and put it in the cockpit.

Droid
09-17-2009, 09:12 AM
No, I bought the Queen Starship and got rid of it later. Not making that mistake twice!

mtriv73
09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Not a chance.

bigbarada
09-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Nope. Uninspired, unoriginal, boring design. Zero aggression-factor make it about as exciting as a station-wagon. Also, as pbarnard mentioned, Hasbro will never get the chrome finish right and would just cast it in silver plastic, so it would look like cheap garbage.

Snowtrooper
09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I would say no also. Now, if they actually vac-metallicized the body exterior, they might lure me in that way. But we know they don't like to use that process, so chances are its not gonna happen.

vger
09-17-2009, 03:42 PM
No, no interest. If I wanted a Naboo ship I would have picked up the Royal Starship.

El Chuxter
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Nope. This one was kinda boring even when AOTC was new.

autumnsdescent
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
ooooo. I want this one bad! Just because no one else does.

J/K.

I have no opinion on this one.

Often times I find that an announced product gets my attention and then when I see it face-to-face I sometimes lose interest. I feel this would be one of those items...

-A-

Darth Metalmute
09-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I think this one would be cool to see, but their is no way I would buy it. I would think you could get away with it sized with the x-wing ($50). It's a neat ship, but there is no play value at all. The only thing it would be used for is kids would fly it from their bed to their dresser.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I would buy it but I wouldn't campaign for it. I could almost guarantee it would be in the $25 line and scaled down like the Sith Infiltrator.

TheDarthVader
09-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Guess what? I would not by this. Easy pass.

Blue2th
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I would buy one simply because it's a beautiful design, as are all the Naboo ships.
Would be nice to get it in chrome though. Oh I'm thinking Action Fleet again.

Old Fossil
09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Only if it came with a "Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes" action figure.

DarkArtist
09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I think i'd have to pass on this one....not very exciting. I think for $70 Hasbro can give us something better

Devo
09-18-2009, 07:19 PM
The way Hasbro would probably make it - tiny - No, I wouldn't buy.

I would want it at a size that could portray a nice replica of just one room in its interior - the cockpit as we saw it, capable of housing 4 or more figures with standing room - and then just have the exit ramp. But Hasbro would never make a ship thats essentially just a cockpit diorama.

DarkJedi5
09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I think this ship would have a hard time no matter what. The Queen's first ship never sold well and I don't think they really ever will. The coolest one is the one from the beginning of the movie that blows up almost right away. Too bad. I don't think I would ever buy one of these, not before I bought 1999's royal starship anyway.

SplFrcsCWO
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I think this ship would have a hard time no matter what. The Queen's first ship never sold well and I don't think they really ever will. The coolest one is the one from the beginning of the movie that blows up almost right away. Too bad. I don't think I would ever buy one of these, not before I bought 1999's royal starship anyway.

I'd be interested in that ship but not the one posed here.

Tycho
10-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Senator Amidala's Star Yacht from AOTC is taking a hit here. It is losing with 4-12 votes, the greater number favoring "No. Do not make this ship."

Too bad. I'd like to be a completist (almost).

Bar
10-15-2009, 03:42 PM
It's a pity for all the no-votes. I think it's because of the apathy that Hasbro seems to always skew the scale, and there would undoubtably be "pop-out missile rack action!" baloney on it.
I KNOW kids want play value, but sometimes, crazy non-canon additions to a design can ruin the toy...
I'd like one. But only if it was proportionally accurate. It doesn't need to be in scale with the figures as long as it proportionally represents what was seen on screen...

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I think it's just a boring vehicle, It's got very little going on, visually and scene-wise (unless you count the Master Button of Doom on board). I'd have to vote no.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 06:21 AM
I hope everyone was clear on this one. The ship is not the flying wing you see at the beginning of the movie. This is the ship that Anakin and Padme take to Tatooine and to Geonosis.

It is still losing its fight to get made, but not by very much.

Bar
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I hope everyone was clear on this one. The ship is not the flying wing you see at the beginning of the movie. This is the ship that Anakin and Padme take to Tatooine and to Geonosis.

It is still losing its fight to get made, but not by very much.

I got the one you meant dude.
My problem would be how "playable" they made it.
I'd be happy with a 1/32 replica with lip service to 1/18 seats, fold out legs and a boarding ramp.
But you just KNOW it would split into three pieces and have ten missile racks...
If it was correctly in proportion and had the right lines (http://www.sluisvan.net/resources/ships_pic/naboo_yacht_h.gif), i would buy at least one.

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I think the problem with these chromed Naboo ships is that there were just too many of them in the films. If they had just given Padme one shiny ship and let her fly it around in all three movies, then there may actually be a demand for a decent toy.

Can you imagine if Han Solo was flying a different ship in each of the OT movies? Would anybody then care about the Millenium Falcon?

mtriv73
02-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I think the problem with these chromed Naboo ships is that there were just too many of them in the films. If they had just given Padme one shiny ship and let her fly it around in all three movies, then there may actually be a demand for a decent toy.

Can you imagine if Han Solo was flying a different ship in each of the OT movies? Would anybody then care about the Millenium Falcon?

I'd care.

I don't, however, care about any of the Naboo ships that haven't already been made.

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd care.

I don't, however, care about any of the Naboo ships that haven't already been made.

Well, so would I, but I guess my point is would the Falcon be the iconic Star Wars vessel that it is today if it only showed up in ANH and Han had replaced it with another ship by ESB, then replaced that one after getting rescued from Jabba's Palace in ROTJ?

Bar
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, so would I, but I guess my point is would the Falcon be the iconic Star Wars vessel that it is today if it only showed up in ANH and Han had replaced it with another ship by ESB, then replaced that one after getting rescued from Jabba's Palace in ROTJ?

That's actually what happened between ANH and TESB.
The Falcon was WAAAY different!
:yes:

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
That's actually what happened between ANH and TESB.
The Falcon was WAAAY different!
:yes:

Yep, so different that Kenner and Hasbro were able to continually rerelease the 1979 version of the toy, with only minor interior upgrades, all the way up to 2005. :p

While the Millenium Falcon model was completely rebuilt between ANH and ESB, aside from the extra storage compartments on the bottom, there wasn't that much changed. Definitely not enough to make people believe that it was an all new ship.

Kind of like the redesign of the Stormtrooper helmets between ESB and ROTJ, it's only noticeable to a trained eye who already knows what to look for.

TheDarthVader
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Ooooooo...what is the difference in the stormtrooper helmets? :confused: Sorry that this is off topic...but I want to know!

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Ooooooo...what is the difference in the stormtrooper helmets? :confused: Sorry that this is off topic...but I want to know!

The differences are mostly in the proportions. The ROTJ and Special Edition helmets are narrower to fit the heads of the actors better. Plus the eyes seem to be larger and more "bulgy."

There were two versions of helmet from ANH, the hero and stunt versions (the eye lenses being the most notable difference between the two). They consolidated them into one all-purpose design for ROTJ.

This site does a better job of breaking down all the differences:
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

The Space Outlaw
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd pass in a heartbeat. I think one of the biggest disappointments I found in the prequels was a lack of any kind of "iconic hero starship" that lasted throughout the trilogy. In the OT we get the Falcon, X-wings, blockade runners, etc. that show up constantly and almost serve as a kind of "extra costume" for the characters who fly them; they help to tie the whole thing together. In the prequels there's none of that. Everything's disposable. The only stuff we see multiple times in different movies is the Confederate equipment; Vulture Droids and the like.

I think half the reason they're using the Twilight for Clone Wars is because someone at Lucasfilm suddenly realized there was no "Falcon-esque" vehicle in the prequels and it dawned on them how much that detracted from the story.

Now if they made the Twilight in BMF scale, well, that's a different story (I LOVE that thing!).

Tycho
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
"No he told me my father was a navigator on a spice freighter."

The Twilight is a spice freighter, but Anakin's more the pilot and Ahsoka or R2D2 do the navigating. But the ANH statement is true after all, from a certain point of view.

Next, the Millennium Falcon is not "a ship in Star Wars," it is actually a character. She's tempermental and breaks down. She keeps her secrets and her crew safe in smuggling compartments. She has hidden weapons and souped-up engines, etc. Do you ever think you could just walk up to any spaceship and hit it to make it jump-start? No. The Falcon's awesomeness goes beyond her being a ship.

Yes, they are trying to give the prequels one with the Twilight.

You don't get the sense Anakin loves her or anything. She's just useful because all their other craft are easily recognizeable as military ships. They can hide their identity by flying the Twilight.

I also think Padme's various ships and clothes were used to demonstrate her importance and the wealth accorded to Naboo office-holders. I mean their former senator thinks he's entitled to be Emperor of the entire galaxy. Of course his successor can have silver starships.

Phantom-like Menace
02-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I could see myself getting it. The Star Wars universe is full of both characters and ships, and right now my figure universe is mostly full of characters.