PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Clone Wars figures

Old Fossil
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I understand that there's a big following for the Clone Wars animated-style figs, but they're inundating the pegs. I can hardly see any Legacy; they're hopelessly outnumbered by Clone Wars. Even Saga Legends are pushed to the periphery by Clone Wars crap.:mad:

I almost miss seeing full pegs of Yarna. Better than that ridiculous Cad Bane, which is everywhere, making the SW section look more like something out of Bakugan or Ben 10 Alien Force. :rolleyes:

The Star Wars section of a toy aisle should be Vader, Imperial troopers, Rebels, and Cantina and Jabba aliens and their ilk, not these wierd things. I didn't mind them so much when they were still a kind of sideline, but now they are the main focus, it seems. And I don't like it, I don't like it one bit.:Ogre:

I have nothing constructive to offer, just general angst. This is not my Star Wars. "My" Star Wars is mostly become hard-to-find store exclusives, or the occasional Legacy figure crammed behind rows of oddly-formed Anakins and Battle Droids.:(

End rant:upset: and overuse of smileys.

bigbarada
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I feel your pain, we're inundated with Clonetroopers of all kinds over here; but it's still a much better year for OT collectors than 1999 or 2005 were.

However, I have been noticing a disturbing trend in the stores near me where the Star Wars aisle is almost primarily Clone Wars, then there are a few rows of Saga Legends and the Legacy figures are almost non-existent. That doesn't bode well for me and everyday I'm practically expecting to hear the announcement from Hasbro that the Legacy line is going on "hiatus."

Darth Jax
09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
i'd be much more excited about clone wars figs if they were realistically styled.

RoonStones
09-17-2009, 10:23 PM
This is not my Star Wars.

And neither is it mine. It's a horrible franchise that's more a testament to Lucas' worship of money and what he thinks are marketable products than a serious line. It's also a testament to note that the ENTIRE line is basically one large pegwarmer in nearly every store I go into. Lucas has effectively taken the Clone Wars, something we've heard about for 30 years, made an overwhelmingly underwhelming prequel trilogy about it, and compounded it worse with Nikelodeon-style cartoons. It also says something when video games (KOTOR) and comic books (Ostrander/Durema/Parsons) trump the actual source material.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 12:02 AM
The current distribution means I don't pass on anything. If I see anything new that's Legacy, I buy it unless I'm 100% sure I don't want it. It's easier to return things than to pray I ever see them again, which I normally don't. Just Legends Plo Koon and Saessee Tiin. :cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2009, 12:18 AM
The current lack of Legacy figures is due more to the weird release dates than anything else. The fact that they released three CW waves in like a month's span and didn't do any Legacy stuff all summer kind of messed it up. The fact that there are 34 new Legacy figures coming out between now and the end of the year, compared with the 7 new CW figures in the same time, leads me to believe that there's no reason to worry that CW has completely taken over.

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that Old Fossil is complaining about Cad Bane but championing Baniss Keeg? :p

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 01:34 AM
The fact that there are 34 new Legacy figures coming out between now and the end of the year, compared with the 7 new CW figures in the same time, leads me to believe that there's no reason to worry that CW has completely taken over.

Yes and no. Hasbro is making them, but they have different SKUs than the Clone Wars. Clone Wars keep selling through. It's getting reordered, period. Aside from a couple of figures, Legends are selling through, and getting reordered. Legacy had a few pegwarmers, and, when new stuff hits, it vanishes. It's impossible to find now, and we're nowhere near the end of the line. The temporary focus on Clone Wars means that the stores, who don't actually analyze the "whys" behind sales, only see Clone Wars selling like gangbusters, and Legacy selling not nearly as much. So they get ordered less, and the orders get smaller and smaller as fewer are ordered and sell.

I saw the AOTC wave once. Somehow, I saw Beru and Owen twice, though I personally cannot fathom why the rest of the wave would sell and not those two. I've seen the TPM wave, supposedly shipped in much higher numbers, once, with the "redundant part" figures and two duplicates. Not a single figure remains now from what I saw.

Gotta say, I've got a very bad feeling about any upcoming Legacy waves. :(

IG 8D8
09-18-2009, 01:42 AM
I for one am thrilled with the new Clone Wars series - seeing Cad Bane and his band of bounty hunters (including Bossk and IG 86) crash the party in one of the last episodes was really exciting. The series is creative, energetic, and fun to me although I am not crazy about the CW figures either. I have to remember this is for a younger audience. At my target there are just as many legacy figures out as CW and anyways the CW ships and vehicles are pretty nice.

DarkArtist
09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm a fan of the series and do collect the figures. while i agree with alot of what is said on this thread (I too would love to see a more uniform offering of figures as well as more realistic styled Clone Wars figures), i can agree with the notion that the current direction is not Star Wars.....

by me there is more of an abundance of the old Blue Legends carded figures then anything else with very few of the new Red and White and even fewer of the Clone Wars figures. Yarna is finally sorta drying up, haven't seen alot of her in about 2 months so either Hasbro came through and cleaned the pegs of the pegwarmers or someone bouoght the lot hoping she is going to be the biggest collectible in 30 years from now (or someone is a huge fan of Yarna :p)

I myself am getting frustrated that I can't find Cad Bane or the other 3 figures from his wave that i'm looking for, and as far as the new Legacy figures I was able to pick up 3 of the TPM wave but have yet to see them on the pegs since....and no sign yet of the ROTJ wave. or for that matter any of the new comic packs.

Darth Metalmute
09-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I myself am getting frustrated that I can't find Cad Bane or the other 3 figures from his wave that i'm looking for, and as far as the new Legacy figures I was able to pick up 3 of the TPM wave but have yet to see them on the pegs since....and no sign yet of the ROTJ wave. or for that matter any of the new comic packs.

It took me forever to find Cad Bane, and after I did, I find out he's coming in a battle pack. Personally, I've only bought four Clone Wars figures; Bane, Rex, Cody, and Ashoka (of which she was a pain to find and is going to be in the same battle pack). I have enough E2 and E3 clones to fill my AT-TE and other vehicles and outside of Bane and Ashoka (who will never see the light of realistic figures), prefer the realistic figures to the animated.

Dark Marble
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Fossil said it best, it is not my Star Wars. But, in a way I don't know what more I can expect. There are only a few figures I want such as some updated vintage figures, a really good looking emperor and maybe the rest of his cronies. I really can't say I would be sorry to see the movie figures go away for a while. What do we have to really look forward to? More back ground characters, some random aliens, and the occasional update to core characters no one ever seems to like. Back in the day getting the first Darth Vader with a removable helmet was and event, today getting the first Wilrow Hood is a joke.

I don't collect the animated figures and thankfully because of that I really tightened my figure collection up. I view the figures of today the way I did when I was a kid. When things like Droids and Ewoks came out I thought, what is this crap? This isn't Star Wars. But simply put, it wasn't my Star Wars. I say let the kids have their Star Wars and maybe we will see our figures back on the pegs again when the cartoon is over and kids start asking "what happens next?"

JEDIpartner
09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I understand that there's a big following for the Clone Wars animated-style figs, but they're inundating the pegs. I can hardly see any Legacy; they're hopelessly outnumbered by Clone Wars. Even Saga Legends are pushed to the periphery by Clone Wars crap.:mad:

I know. I have had such a hard time finding anything other than CW at the retailers in my area. This is why I've taken to just ordering the figures online, which kinda sucks 'cos the prices are higher by at least $1 to $2 per figure... and then there's the shipping cost. Still, it saves me the aggravation of having to drive 50-100 miles to cobble together pieces parts of a wave to get the whole wave... and that's if I can even find any at all!!!

Devo
09-18-2009, 04:18 PM
The film line now consists of Saga legends and the last of the Yarna, organa waves in Ireland. Haven't seen any new figures since the last few cantina figures which totally sold through.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes and no. Hasbro is making them, but they have different SKUs than the Clone Wars. Clone Wars keep selling through. It's getting reordered, period. Aside from a couple of figures, Legends are selling through, and getting reordered. Legacy had a few pegwarmers, and, when new stuff hits, it vanishes. It's impossible to find now, and we're nowhere near the end of the line. The temporary focus on Clone Wars means that the stores, who don't actually analyze the "whys" behind sales, only see Clone Wars selling like gangbusters, and Legacy selling not nearly as much. So they get ordered less, and the orders get smaller and smaller as fewer are ordered and sell.

I saw the AOTC wave once. Somehow, I saw Beru and Owen twice, though I personally cannot fathom why the rest of the wave would sell and not those two. I've seen the TPM wave, supposedly shipped in much higher numbers, once, with the "redundant part" figures and two duplicates. Not a single figure remains now from what I saw.

Gotta say, I've got a very bad feeling about any upcoming Legacy waves. :(
But Hasbro told us directly that the AOTC wave was going to be released in lower numbers. Before a packaging change, the final wave always has been and likely always will be. Why was that a surprise?

Hasbro's current goal is to have the blue-and-white stuff all gone (which it almost is, aside from a few stragglers here and there) and to start with the red-and-white stuff. The TPM wave is only the first batch of new LC figures, and I saw it at two different Targets today, which is pretty normal for new stuff out here (it hits a few weeks after most other places). Their goals were to have the Clone Wars waves out during the summer and start with the new Legacy Collection figures beginning in September. Well, it's mid-September and here they are. The ESB figures took a while to hit here because stores kept getting in wave 5 and all of its revisions and taking a while to sell through (though they eventually did). I got the AOTC wave online and it was pretty scarce here but I did see all the figures a few times, but again, the packaging change thing.

It's just the beginning of the new line look, though, so give it some time to trickle in. I remember people freaking out about Saga Legends taking over the line back in 2006 and 2007, and all the new figures still made it out in good numbers. Dunno. I think the realistic line still has legs.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Okay, if the TPM wave is showing up in larger numbers, maybe I'm being a worrywort. With three distinct lines that retailers can't differentiate, I'll still worry about end-of-year and end-of-line waves.

Turbowars
09-18-2009, 08:52 PM

I almost miss seeing full pegs of Yarna. Better than that ridiculous Cad Bane, which is everywhere, making the SW section look more like something out of Bakugan or Ben 10 Alien Force. :rolleyes:

The Star Wars section of a toy aisle should be Vader, Imperial troopers, Rebels, and Cantina and Jabba aliens and their ilk, not these wierd things. I didn't mind them so much when they were still a kind of sideline, but now they are the main focus, it seems. And I don't like it, I don't like it one bit.:Ogre:

I have nothing constructive to offer, just general angst. This is not my Star Wars. "My" Star Wars is mostly become hard-to-find store exclusives, or the occasional Legacy figure crammed behind rows of oddly-formed Anakins and Battle Droids.:(

End rant:upset: and overuse of smileys.I'm right up there with you. CW figures are nothing but a bunch of lame Japanese anime
look a likes. The OT has taken a huge back seat. Which I find very stange because the OT Is SW, CW has no feeling of SW. I'm not all that surprised though. The age group they are aiming at are kids that like the power Rangers and all those horrid anime junk in the action figure isle. Even the Joe's look ridicules. My 10 year old cousin has seen all the films and he has lots of OT stuff, but when I take him to Target he goes to something like Dragon Balls. I mean what the hell? Anyways.......:cry:

elvandrik
09-19-2009, 05:47 AM
[quote=Dark Marble;697566]Fossil said it best, it is not my Star Wars. But, in a way I don't know what more I can expect. There are only a few figures I want such as some updated vintage figures, a really good looking emperor and maybe the rest of his cronies. I really can't say I would be sorry to see the movie figures go away for a while. What do we have to really look forward to? More back ground characters, some random aliens, and the occasional update to core characters no one ever seems to like. Back in the day getting the first Darth Vader with a removable helmet was and event, today getting the first Wilrow Hood is a joke.
quote]

I have no problem buying any figure from the films as long as its higher quality than the last version of the figure. I'm not crazy about Clone Wars either, but if it keeps people interested in Star Wars that's good for all collectors.

Bosskman
09-19-2009, 06:30 AM
You guys otta try living in Canada. We just got the ROTS wave with Bail, Breah, and FX-6. No new figures before that for almost a year. Everything is clone wars. Thank God for the internet and EBay.

Blue2th
09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I like the Clone Wars but I'm not liking the figures that much. I open mine so right away except for the clones the limited articulation and most of them not even being able to stand on their own kinda bugs me.

They are clogging the pegs along with the older cards around here.

As long as I can find Clegg and Rum and the rest of L8-L9 in the next few days I'll be happy for now.

Old Fossil
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Does anyone else find it a little ironic that Old Fossil is complaining about Cad Bane but championing Baniss Keeg? :p

You're so cute. C'm'ere, give us a hug.:kiss:

AT TRU last night, there were NO Clone Wars figures on the new cards, just peg after peg of older stuff, and a few old Saga Legends. Pitiful. Target and Walmart are swimming in CW.

I may put SW collecting on hiatus for awhile. Like, until 2010.

El Chuxter
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
But if you stop looking, you might miss whatever does finally come out. (That's what I tell myself every time I see a few dozen Anakins, Clones, Worm Loathsome, and that officer who looks like John Cleese.)

Obsession is Nute
09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Looks like this thread struck a cord with the community. I am in 100% aggreement. The CW figures congest the vast majority of my stores. Out of spite, whenever I see Saga or CW figures on Legacy pegs, I take two or three minutes to move them in their PROPER pegs. I know that retailers are just trying to fill up space with what they have, but I like to send them a subtle reminder that there are THREE seperate lines, not one or two.

I try to stay positive, however. If the CW exists for no other reason, I like to think it is drawing in new blood to the fandom, giving younglings a reason to rent the films and fall in love with them. Further, if the CW figures boost overall sales and profitability of the franchise, then one would think this would in some manner help the Legacy line, too?
I hope TPM does ship in larger numbers, I really do. I would love to buy Mecho-Sidious in the store, not online.

I agree with the concerns about this fall, as well. Between today and the new year we are supposed to have the following waves: TPM, ROTJ, ANH, ROTS and ESB. So we have 5 waves to go through in roughly 3 1/4 months. Even if you factor out the inevitable pegwarmers (Malikili, anyone?) I can easily see areas that go through figures more slowly, missing an entire wave. I hope I am wrong, but with the way this year has treated us so far, I highly doubt a smooth and even pace of wave distribution.

Devo
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I've got the TPM and ROTJ waves coming to me from BBTS this coming week but I long ago gave up actually going to the shop expecting to see anything new. I was amazed shops here in Ireland got the BMF and any Legacy waves at all. I was briefly optimistic again but, as I said, theres been nothing but Clone Wars since the ANH wave. As I'm paying no attention whatsoever to the CW line I have no idea if what I'm seeing is newer stuff or older stuff.

Darth Metalmute
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
My TRU is still flooded with Blue and white cards. It's so bad, that they actually have two Star Wars displays. One for Clone Wars Red-White cards and the other one for Blue-White cards. I have seen the non-Clone Wars Red-White cards, just not at TRU. Meijers and Targets only.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2010, 11:02 PM
So how do you worry warts feel now? How do you like that The Vintage Collection and Saga Legends each get two columns of pegs at Target while The Clone Wars only gets one?

I swear to Christ, each and every single one of you better buy every damn Vintage figures and realistic-styled products that Hasbro puts out. You complained and asked for it, so you better pony up and put your money where your mouth is.

Turbowars
08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Funny, I have not seen one vintage figure on the pegs. They have all sold out around here.

Blue2th
08-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I finally saw the Vintage figures at Kmart today along side the Clone Wars figures. At 8.99 I only bought an AT-AT Commander for now.

Is it just me or are some of the newer Clone Wars figures looking more realistic? Are the lines slowly being blurred?

Though there's no way I'm buying any more CW Battle Droids or many of the older figures that still have very limited articulation and can't even at least stand on their own for the same price as a Vintage figure.

Forget about Legends, not buying any of that.

El Chuxter
08-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I haven't noticed that, JJL, but it does seem odd. Whether I like it or not, Clone Wars is the current "thing." Maybe Hasbro oversold the concept of the neo-vintage cards to retailers. I think aside from a small number of collectors, no one gives a crap what the card looks like.

Legends being double the number of Clone Wars is stupid, stupid, stupid. No question about that. I still think Legends shouldn't be its own line, just toss a few older figures in whatever the main line is at any given time. (Which is sorta what they're doing with a few figures. Why is 4-LOM on Vintage packaging but not Zuckuss? Why will there be two different figures in different lines available at the same time for both Darth Vader and General Grievous?)

And, just so you know, I've gotten every Vintage figure so far except 4-LOM and Boba Fett, who are old figures, and Vader, who's such a minor change on such an overdone figure he may as well be an old figure. But I've got to warn you: I'll get the MagnaGuard and the new Grievous, but will pass on most figures from AOTC and ROTS. (As long as they don't go apepoop with Obi-Wan rehashes, I like most of the TPM designs.) And I'll buy a beige Battle Droid with the new sculpt, if they ever see fit to make one.

DarkJedi5
08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
So how do you worry warts feel now? How do you like that The Vintage Collection and Saga Legends each get two columns of pegs at Target while The Clone Wars only gets one?

I swear to Christ, each and every single one of you better buy every damn Vintage figures and realistic-styled products that Hasbro puts out. You complained and asked for it, so you better pony up and put your money where your mouth is.

First of all, the only Vintage figures I've seen on the pegs are 4-Lom and Vader, these are both pretty much rehashed figs and might as well be Saga Legends. I have bought one of each of the rest and a few multiples to army build. However as the line goes forward, Hasbro is planning more and more of these "re-issue" figures and frankly I don't know why they bother.

This brings me to point two, the Saga Legends like is a waste of time except that kids buy it and it helps supplement the animated crap. I don't know why they want so much of it on the pegs other than it didn't cost them much to get it out there.

Finally, the Clone Wars line is still crap. I can't tell you how much I would love to see a Cad Bane or a Pre Viszla in the realistic line but it will never happen, instead we get these abominations. I looked at the Mandalorian guard the other day and seriously considered buying one but I couldn't do it because I looked at his legs and arms and they're just so thin that they would look ridiculous standing next to every other single Star Wars figure I own. I know it wasn't Hasbro's decision to make these awful toys and that if they'd had their druthers it would have been done in the realistic style. I enjoy the show but I cannot wait for it to go off the air so that Hasbro can go back and make these in a realistic style without Lucasfilm demanding they look like stick figures.

sonofsokol
08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Let me start off by saying that I really like the Clone Wars Line. I have purchased nearly all of the basic carded figures and many battlepacks, deluxe figures, vehicles, and all that. But, I am getting a bit frustrated with the Clone Wars line... It seems like they rushed a lot of figures out which many of us pruchased(and in some cases, multiples in Battlepacks and Deluxe figures) and now they are releasing many of the same characters only with more accurate details and/or better articulation. I know this happens all the time in the realistic/movie lines, but it usually takes longer than 1 year for the "better" figures to get released. There are exceptions like the upcoming Vintage Collection DSII Luke and the Legacy Collection DSII Luke, but that seems to be the exception.

I don't mind it when they put them in a new costume or something like the Orto Plutonia Anakin, Rex, and Obi-wan, or "space suit" Obi-wan, Anakin, and Ahsoka (though Anakins "space suit" wasn't that much different than his regular attire). I don't even mind Padme in different outfits, in fact, I'd welcome a new Padme or 2 in different Senate gowns. It's when they release the same character, in the same outfit, but better everything else.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
-Yoda: the first one with the bulging eyes was really weird looking
-Anakin, Obi-wan, Dooku, Plo Koon, and Cad Bane have all received increased articulation in battle packs and/or deluxe figures.
-Greivous, the Magnaguard, Mace Windu and Kit Fisto are getting more articulation and are being released (or have been released) as basic figures.

Like many of you, I bought carded versions of Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, and Mace and now I feel like that was money wasted since the new versions are better AND you get a stand :thumbsup: (the dice and cards are not an added value to me, but my son likes them).

It wish they would do some kind of trade-in program. They could tell fans to send in their older, inferior, unarticulated clone wars figures and receive a coupon for 50% off the new one. It would be like a "Thanks for supporting the line as it was getting started, we're sorry some of the early figures were not up to par, but we've fixed that now, so here you go...thanks for the loyalty." That would be awesome and really make me feel like a valued customer/consumer.

One more thing, with the last couple red and white carded waves that so many people seem to have missed. It bugs me that they keep giving the same answer, that they were released numbers similar to the other waves. It seems like what they should say is something like, "We are glad that everybody liked those figures so much. We're sorry that the didn't seem to make it out to many of you, the great fans. We will try to get those figures into future waves for you to enjoy." And then actually do it. I think the line is strong enough to not include either Anakin, Obi-wan, Rex, or Cody in every wave. The fact that each wave has 3 to 5 new figures with 7 to 9 repacks (often of older, non-articulated, inferior releases of the characters). I bet that if they did a "repack wave" with Darth Sideous, Thi-Sen, the new magnaguard, Commander Bly, Aayla Secura, TX-20, C-3PO, Hondo Ohnaka, Commander Stone, the Firefighter Battledriod, Clone Tank Gunner, and Matchstick the that they would sell like crazy. If they really wanted to please the fans they'd throw in Gha Nachkt and Commander Fox in place of the firefighter droid and Matchstick. All of the figures would be repacks and non of them are "major" characters in the series (e.g., Anakin, Obi-wan, Greivous, Rex, Cody, or Ahsoka).

I don't mean to complain, I just had to get that out, I feel much better now.

nohagent
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
SONOF, you are absolutely right. For a long time I have felt that the decision makers entrenched within hasbro are an inundated obsolete machine. I feel it is time for rebellion against these people who make such poor decisions and that they be overthrown and replaced with people who really know what fans want, what will really sell, and thus be fans themselves

bigbarada
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
SONOF, you are absolutely right. For a long time I have felt that the decision makers entrenched within hasbro are an inundated obsolete machine. I feel it is time for rebellion against these people who make such poor decisions and that they be overthrown and replaced with people who really know what fans want, what will really sell, and thus be fans themselves

lollollol Hasbro is not a government, it's a privately owned company, exactly how were you planning to "overthrow" them? :rolleyes: The only thing we can really do is stop buying their products which will simply bring about the end of the Star Wars toy line.

We should count ourselves lucky that the Hasbro Star Wars team are all such big fans of the franchise and that they take the time to interact with fans through the Q&A and at shows like SDCC. Things could be much, much worse.... Mattel could have the Star Wars license for one.

nohagent
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't agree on your viewpoint of the Q and A. I do see them as nice for extra info the provide but I also see much "lipservice" as what I see is hasbro most often saying "thanks for the idea fans, but we are gonna do what we want anyway as it doesn't really benefit the corporation to really do what the fans like".

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
They have to serve the fans, but they have to serve the company as well. You might like to see nothing but Jabba's palace denizens released, but they have to keep fans coming in and buying Darth Vader and Clone Troopers. In the last few years, thanks largely to the Q&A, it's become obvious how much the Hasbro team loves and cares about Star Wars. So when people say otherwise, it's wrong and ignorant and annoying.

As bigbarada said, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But if you complain about them not making it, then you sure as **** better buy it when they do make it.

And sonofsokol, just take a look back at the 2005 ROTS line to see how what you're annoyed by is nothing new and nothing about which you should be surprised. On April 2, we got new ROTS versions of Anakin and Obi-Wan with their leg-squeezing, lightsaber-swinging action. Before the end of the summer, we got super-articulated updates to both of them - Anakin in his Evolutions set and Obi-Wan in his pilot version. I almost forgot, but there was also the kicking Obi-Wan and eyeshadow Anakin released in there too, as well as different molds included in vehicles and multi-packs and so on. There was also an action-feature clone trooper, which was quickly replaced by the super-articulated version. And I don't think I need to review the onslaught of Darth Vader figures that followed.

It's just what happens in the modern line. Hasbro releases the figures they can, which often appeal to kids, right off the bat. Then they redo them to be more collector-friendly, and you complain that you didn't have the foresight to wait? That's not Hasbro's problem at all. Mace Windu and Kit Fisto were popular sellers last year, so they had the choice of either just re-releasing them and making money that way or pleasing fans and giving them what they want. To condemn them for giving another go-around on a figure to make it better is just ungrateful.

For example, El Chuxter correctly guessed that the 2008 Grievous would one day include a cape, so he waited on that version; that day is a few months from now, and Chux won't have several inferior versions of Grievous. If you don't think a figure is perfect, then don't get it. This line has shown again and again and again that they redo figures - sometimes it takes years, and, yes, sometimes it takes months. But to act like it's never happened before is insane.

bigbarada
08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't agree on your viewpoint of the Q and A. I do see them as nice for extra info the provide but I also see much "lipservice" as what I see is hasbro most often saying "thanks for the idea fans, but we are gonna do what we want anyway as it doesn't really benefit the corporation to really do what the fans like".

I think you are being extremely unfair to the guys at Hasbro. Read JT's SDCC interview with Derryl DePriest and it will help you gain a lot more appreciation for the balancing act that Hasbro much perform when it comes to their obligation to Star Wars fans, their obligations to Lucasfilm, their obligations to the higher ups at Hasbro, and just the day to day business of successfully running a brand as large as Star Wars.

Obviously they know what they are doing because they've kept the entire line alive for 15 years now, which is nearly twice as long as Kenner was able to keep the vintage line alive. Just because you are not getting the instant gratification that you somehow feel entitled to, doesn't mean that Hasbro is doing anything wrong.

El Chuxter
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
...and Chux won't have several inferior versions of Grievous.

Actually, I still have all the ROTS Grievous figures I bought in 2005. :D

Wouldn't mind getting an update on Yam-Face Grievous in the proper scale, and not for $14 this time around. (He would've been exactly $14 with tax, given the rate at the time, which has since increased.)

Pre-Cyborg Grievous needs absolutely no update. He is awesome. It's almost like Michael McDonald's beard in plastic form.

sonofsokol
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
If you don't think a figure is perfect, then don't get it.

Try telling that to a 5 year old... I can see the conversation going a bit like this:
My son: Dad look they have Kit Fisto, I love Kit Fisto, can we get him please, please please???
Me: You know son, I to really like Kit Fisto, he is is one of my favorite prequel trilogy Jedi as well. Unfortunately, this figure does not meet my criteria to warrant a purchase. He has no knee or ankle articulation and his stance is too narrow. Maybe if we wait a year or two, they will release a super-articulated version and then we can buy one."
My son: What does "super armpitulated" mean?

I'm not trying to start a discussion about proper parenting, or the spoiling of children. I am attempting to make the point that he doesn't care about the articulation and all that. All he knows is that he wants the figures of the characters that he sees on TV (and he wants them now!!!).

But to act like it's never happened before is insane.

As I said...

I know this happens all the time in the realistic/movie lines, but it usually takes longer than 1 year for the "better" figures to get released. There are exceptions like the upcoming Vintage Collection DSII Luke and the Legacy Collection DSII Luke, but that seems to be the exception.

I was not saying that DSII Luke is the only exception, but that releasing different versions of the same figure in the same "outfit" in successive years seems to be the exception. I'm sure there are several instances beyond what you cited that this has happened as well. I think we can agree that it is not the standard procedure.

I do appreciate Hasbro and the extent that they do seem to care about the fans and how much they listen to fan input. I was not calling for a revolution to overthrow "the man" in my previous post. I love the Clone Wars animated-style figures and will continue to support the line. I just wanted to voice a bit of frustration that I've been feeling with the line lately. I'm sure we've all felt some frustration with some aspect of Star Wars collecting from time to time.

Darth Metalmute
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
My son: What does "super armpitulated" mean?

lol

Is that where a Rebel Soldier can shoot a stromtrooper behind him just by rotating his arm at the armpit 180 degrees and twisting his wrist?

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
If the kid's five, chances are the figure will be in no shape to be displayed when the upgrade rolls around (assuming they're not going at DS2 Luke speed).

And it's not as hard as you make it out to tell a kid "no" if you don't go into such detail. Simple is better: they may not 100% get why the figure's no good, but they at least understand that you're telling them it's no good. I tell my daughter all the time that certain toys aren't made well if I can tell they're not worth the money. (I wish the box on that stupid transforming Batman cycle indicated it wasn't even worth $4 on clearance, though.)

sonofsokol
08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
He is actually really good at taking "no" for an answer, probably better than me when it comes right down to it.