PDA

View Full Version : my fave knock off of all time

mabudonicus
09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
check him out, I don't wanna post the pic here so as to build to the reveal http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r1/mabudon/?action=view&current=specialman.jpg

What do you think??

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Holy carp, Bubbleman! I've seen some insanely bad knockoffs in Chinatown and Little Saigon, but THAT is the undisputed king! That is destined to be a classic in the way Uzay are.

And since you forgot, :beard:&IsoBAWS

TeeEye7
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM
That's hilarious!

...and just what makes him "special"? Depends on what kind of store he was purchased.....

JediTricks
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, now it's my favorite too. Damn that's hilarious. Maybe he's "special" from all the lead in his paint. Some poor fool at the factory had to create that "Specialman" art too.

Darth Duranium
09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
That is king of knockoffs! Astounding!

He must be from the planet Klepton. :)

mabudonicus
09-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Glad you like him, I've had him for over 10 years- he was at this mall on one of them litle fold-out "island" carts, there were hordes of other hilarious knockoffs there but the prices were ridiculous- Ol SpecialMan himself cost me 5 entire dollars, with the flimsy, awfully printed card (and yes JT I have tried to picture the guy using the 50's technology crafting that wonderful graphic many times) with nothing on the back...

I must have looked at him once a week for 2 months before I broke down and bought him- I just couldn't get past how awesomely bad the whole gestalt was- the long hair, awful cape- heck just the name "specialman" makes me laugh. A timely decision too, shortly thereafter the cart was gone, and shortly after that the whole mall was razed and a Wal-mart put in its place.

Of special interest on SpecialMan is the obvious x-men belt he's wearing (dunno if that comes through in the pic)

I've been meaning to take a pic of him for years but never got to it- I have 2 hilarious Darth Vader knockoffs that I will post soon in the appropriate section :D

DH- more like the planet Krapton
:beard: Iso&Baws
Thanks for adding that Chux. Glad to finally share what is possibly the most awful knockoff ever

LTBasker
09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
So, it's a non-ugly version of Bizarro? :p That is awesomely horrible!

I've always wondered if bootleggers that make stuff like that ever actually show some sort of profit from it.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
DH- more like the planet Krapton

Don't you mean "Karpton"?

JetsAndHeels
09-19-2009, 07:22 AM
That is hillarious.

And to think all this time I was a true fan, when I never had a Specialman in my collection. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-19-2009, 08:41 AM
$5 you paid for that? Even in deflated valued Canadian money? Mabs, I know that "Specialman" is beyond priceless, but you got ripped off.

Perhaps he is Superman's unknown disabled brother?

mabudonicus
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
yeah LBC, handing over the cash was something I just had to pinch my nose to do- but the amount of laughs he's generated over the years have sorta repaid his debt I suppose...

J+H yeah, it's okay tho, I am sure you never heard of the second-to-last Son of Carpton
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes

This looks like a job for Specialman-Up, Up and OKAAAAAYYYY!!

El Chuxter
09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
"Up, up, and okay" may be the greatest catchphrase of this (or any) millennium.

LTBasker
01-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Specialman is getting some extra attention lately!

http://failblog.org/2010/01/11/superman-fail-2/

sith_killer_99
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Specialman is special.

Faster than a speeding bb, more powerful than the Loco-Motion, able to leap short buses in a single bound!

Slicker
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
How the hell did I miss this thread? And how the hell haven't you shown us in one of our trips up there?! Hethen!

Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

mabudonicus
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I knew he'd be worth the "investment" someday, maybe I should do a quick video review of him showcasing the super-flimsy carboard back and the featureless reverse side

Sliki- I swear I was looking for him the first time you guys were here but somehow I never actually found him, it truly is one of my favourite pieces
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Nothin beats a vintage Specialman

TeeEye7
01-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

This needs to be your new sig line in addition to a change in avatar to Specialman, mabs!

....and don't forget to copyright all of the above!

Lord Malakite
08-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Looks like Specialman has some new special friends.

JEDIpartner
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
check him out, I don't wanna post the pic here so as to build to the reveal http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r1/mabudon/?action=view&current=specialman.jpg

What do you think??

I was thinking he'd be more like... uhhhh... Timmy from South Park. LOL!!!!
:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey, Specialman likes Nature Valley granola!

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 09:15 PM
That set has 2 Batmen!

Lord Malakite
08-19-2010, 05:07 PM
That set has 2 Batmen!
Because one Batman isn't special enough.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Ah, the dangers of using your Word thesaurus feature...

Star Conflicts: A New Expectation
American Tagging
The Pattern, The Pattrn: Reloaded, The Pattern: Revolutions
Expire Hard
The Binder
Wall Blvd.
Skyward
Atrocious Me
Mute and More Mute
All Your Base Are Collectively Owned

Lord Malakite
08-21-2010, 04:42 AM
The Bootleg News Network

Our top story tonight, Alfred can't seem to get Batman off his high horse.

In global news, British official declare a state of emergency as Shining Time Station has become the most recent victim to suffer an "Evil Space Alien" outbreak which requires five conductors with attitude.

In other news, Megatron now knows the secret to defeating the Autobots.

And finally tonight, Uncle Sam meets with Congress in an attempt to change the national bird to the chicken.

Its been a slow day.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2010, 08:57 AM
TitanicBot... there will be no Wave 2 of figures. But the company claims this unsinkable toy line will go on like one's heart.

And I'm sure ET would never have left for home if Elliott had left a trail of Chicken Littles instead of candy.

JediTricks
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Those are awesome! The idea that someone was paid to do that artwork on Titanicbot, or that someone had to actually design a combination scheme in Thomas and his friends, that's insanely hilarious.

El Chuxter
08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
That makes Thomas so much less lame.

El Chuxter
03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19056_the-15-most-unintentionally-hilarious-bootleg-toys.html
This might be the funniest thing I've seen on Cracked in a week! (No, the thing about bizarre church websites was today, too, so it's the funniest thing I've seen in fifteen minutes.)

El Chuxter
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Because one Batman isn't special enough.

That's what Grant Morrison thought.

(Three in a row! Woohoo!)