PDA

View Full Version : I ran a marathon today!

JimJamBonds
09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Yup, I ran 26.2 miles today in 4 hrs 29 min and 49 sec. I didn't have a time goal per say, I just wanted to finish. That being said I figured I'd finish in the 4:15 - 4:30 range so in that regard I just came in under my "high time."

There were about a zillion things I could have done differently in training that I know would have dropped my time. In short I ran 4 times a week, did virtually no cross training and d@mn near no stretching. Not an ideal training formula for a marathon (unless you want to get injured) but it got me to the finish and uninjured.

There may even be a few pictures of me on the events website, if I find any where I don't look like I'm going to fall over from exhaustion I'll post 'em here.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Damn, nice work! I can barely run from the couch to the kitchen. :p

El Chuxter
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
What you want, a medal? :p

2-1B
09-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Congrats, Sir ! :grin:

JimJamBonds
09-21-2009, 06:20 AM
What you want, a medal? :p

Nope I got one of those at the finish line.

mtriv73
09-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Congratulations! My wife ran a marathon 3 years ago so I know (or at least have seen) all the training and discipline that goes into getting ready for it. It's really a huge accomplishment. If there isn't a ball involved I have a hard time running 10 steps. The only way I'll ever do a marathon is if I get to dribble a basketball and shoot lay-ups every 100 feet or so.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Congrats JimJam. That was an impressive time too and something you can cross off your bucket list.

My goal is to race one too, but I got to start somewhere, say a 5K. I jog almost nightly during the summer but sadly during the school week, I am too burned out to do so, so I usually end up jump roping in the basement.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Well done. I ended up being the more accomplished runner in my family, but I never did do a marathon. My brother did Victoria 3 or 4 times, with his best time being his first one in 3:21 or 3:23 I think. If I trained consistently and managed to do one, I think I could probably beat that time. I just don't think my body is up to running that far. I did a couple half marathons in college, but my longest run was probably about 15 miles. I don't think I'd be able to master the fluid intake while running. I still might consider trying one some day if I ever can train consistently. I'll be content with doing mostly 5K's and the occasional 10K. There is a local 7 mile race that is mostly on a trail that I like to do in July, and there is a 15K along the waterfront that they started up a couple years ago that I'd like to try sometime.

JimJamBonds
09-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Congrats JimJam. That was an impressive time too and something you can cross off your bucket list.

Actually that was my second career marathon. My first was 9 years ago. I'd like to do another "local" one but that is in May and it'll be tough getting in that early training due to winter etc.

My goal is to race one too, but I got to start somewhere, say a 5K. I jog almost nightly during the summer but sadly during the school week, I am too burned out to do so, so I usually end up jump roping in the basement.

I've found the key is to get into a pattern of running. When I take extra days off from running its easier and easier to skip the next workout. But after I get past the initial point of getting used to running I find that I don't like missing workouts. If I miss a run I'm not as happy etc. as I would be if I had run.

As I said in an earlier post I didn't do much really other then run, while not ideal it worked for me. I used a plan from Runners World as a basis but I used it as a guide, if I was tired or whatever I skipped runs or went less then the distance I was "supposed to."

I'd suggest as you said start with a shorter race like a 5k, by the end of the summer you'd most likely be able to handle a 10k or even a half marathon. Then the next year after that 'base' or running you could bump up your mileage to the full distance. Also don't be afraid that you have to run the entire 26.2 miles. I didn't. I walked through 20 aid stations where I drank Gatorade and or water. Those 50-60 yards of walking every mile and a half or so made a huge difference. And if you'd need to walk more then that... so what! Who cares. Anywho, thats what I think. :D

TeeEye7
09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Nicely done, JJB!

One of my brothers has been an avid long distance runner since high school when he was on the cross country team. He's participated in many events throughout the years, even getting his wife and two sons involved. He's run in things such as the LA Marathon, and the wacky Bay to Breakers 12K in San Francisco (see the attached photo for a group that participated this year....say, is that Frett?).

I've never been able to handle the long distances. I ran sprints and hurdles in school (for a very short time). I guess my talent for that came from escaping the wrath of two older brothers while growing up!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2009, 09:43 AM
How the heck do you run in trooper armor? :confused: I have one very sensitive word for you: chafing. :eek:

The longest race I've ever participated in was a 10K (6.2 mi), but I did quite a few 5K or 3 mi cross country runs, plus all the practice for them. But at various points in HS I did:
- 200m/220y
- 400m/440y
- 800m/880y
- mile/1600
- mile relay (4X400/440)
- high jump
- triple jump
- long jump

JJB, in your honor, I might drive 26.2 miles today. :pleased:

JimJamBonds
09-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks BCJ, remember to stretch before hand. I don't want you pulling anything and then blaming me.

My race stats look like this:

200 m
400 m
4 X 400 relay
800 m
4 X 800 relay
2 mile (road)
5 k (cross country)
8 k (road)
5 mile
10 k
Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
Marathon (26.2)
Plus I've done dualathon's 2 mile run, 20 mile bike, 2 mile run

That should be all of them but I may have forgotten a distance or two... There are a couple of more events I plan on doing over the next month that would be new ones to add to the list...

4 mile
15 k hill climb
Off road biathalon: 5k run 20 mile bike

bobafrett
09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I need to get out more often. I'm disgusted with my weight, I didn't wear my trooper armor at the last Relay for Life event because it just looks like "Chunky" trooper. Plus I only have one kidney now, and I really need to take care of it. Josh is treating his new kidney better than I am with mine.

I used to be in pretty good shape, but I still hated running, I prefered eliptical machines for my cardio. Keep going JJB!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
The longest race I've done was a half-marathon. I did a couple in college, but they were in early January when I wasn't in top shape, and just getting over a cold. The first one went all right as I did 1:15:58 I think. The next year I died around 10K and only managed a bit over 1:22. Now, I'd be happy to run 1:30.

Some of my personal bests:

10000 - 31:35
5000 - 15:22
3000 - 8:52
1500 - 4:12
800 - 2:05

I think those were all from 1992, except the 3000 was in 1991.

My high school 1600 and 3200 times were 4:36 and 9:41.8. I figure my 1500 and 3000 times were worth a 4:30 and 9:30. In that 3000, I went out hard and did the first 1600 in 4:32. That was a meet at Husky stadium, so there was a lot of competition to pull me along. I think I was sick the next year so I didn't run it in 1992. I did my 1500 and 800 bests on the same day. The end of that 800, I had trouble running in a straight line.

Good news today was that I ran about 5 1/2 miles and my right calf that had been hurting didn't bother me at all.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Okay, if we're showing off our good-old-days abilities...

PR in:
800/880... 2:09
400/440... 57.0
200/220... 27.1
Mile/1600... 4:49
Long Jump... 17'11" (I quit this event pretty early)
High Jump... 5'8" (couldn't quite jump my height :( )
Triple Jump... 39'9 1/2"
3 mile... 17:11

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, you certainly jump better than I ever did. I think I did 4-10 in the high jump, but I think I did that at an all comers meet after I had already been eliminated, so it wasn't part of the actual competition. I don't know about the long jump. I think I did 13 feet in junior high during practice.

Were those times over the metric distance or the yard distance? At 5:20 pace, it's about a 2 second difference per mile.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't remember, as the distances varied by each school's track; in HS, ours was in yards, and in college, all were meters, but some visiting HS tracks were one or the other. I know my "mile/1600" is a converted amount, as my 1500 time was 4:32, IIRC. In fact, that day, Olympic athlete Dave Johnson was training there, and my time was faster than his. Bel-Cam beat a world-class competitor! :eek: Sort of... he was in a different heat than I. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Our high school track was yards, but we had the markings on it to run everything in meters, though one time in 8th grade they accidentally had us do an 880. My senior year we ran a meet at a school that had a dirt track and I think it was yards. Everything else we ran in high school was meters. One time in college, we had a varsity alumni meet on the campus track and we ran an actual mile, but the track was metric.

JimJamBonds
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Some of my personal bests:

10000 - 31:35
5000 - 15:22
3000 - 8:52
1500 - 4:12
800 - 2:05

Nothing wrong with those times MSP.

JimJamBonds
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Well yesterday I did another marathon, this one was the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon. I did it in 3:26:12 which for me is a new pr. At first I wasn't sure how to feel because I ran a stupid race 'tactically' and had a few 'problems' while running and I KNOW that I had a faster run in me, something along the lines of sub 3:20. But on the other hand it is a pr.

Now that its almost 24 hours later I feel better about my performance and I definitely learned some "what not to do/what to avoid" tips.... albeit I learned them the hard way. I know when I do my next marathon later in the year I'll do much better.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I need to get back to running more regularly before I could ever consider a marathon. I wonder what I could have done if I had run one in college. I would have been shooting for at least 3:00, but given that I ran under 32:00 for 10,000, I might have been capable of doing 2:40. If I tried to do one now, I would probably hope to do under 3:20. My brother did one several years ago in the low 3:20's, around 3:23 I think. I just don't know if I have the patience to put in the long runs to prepare for it.

2-1B
05-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Congratulations and good job to JimJam for doing it well this weekend, I'm proud of you!!!

JimJamBonds
05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Congratulations and good job to JimJam for doing it well this weekend, I'm proud of you!!!
Thanks Sir!

I need to get back to running more regularly before I could ever consider a marathon. I wonder what I could have done if I had run one in college. I would have been shooting for at least 3:00, but given that I ran under 32:00 for 10,000, I might have been capable of doing 2:40. If I tried to do one now, I would probably hope to do under 3:20. My brother did one several years ago in the low 3:20's, around 3:23 I think. I just don't know if I have the patience to put in the long runs to prepare for it.

Using the calculator found at the link below a 32:00 10,000 translates to a 2:30:10 marathon. Although those timers are simply an estimation, the longer the race the more accurate the conversion will be.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calc.pl

JimJamBonds
09-19-2010, 05:45 PM
The title of this thread should have a sub title that reads (JJB's bi-yearly digging up of this thread). Well I took another one down today. 3:27:01 was my time which I'm not all that pleased with, I was hopping for 3:15ish. I had to stop twice to go to the bathroom so each of those cost me about a minute each and then I HAD TO STOP FOR A TRAIN!!!!!!!!!! It was between miles 21-22. That cost me about 40ish seconds. I was NOT happy, many f bombs (and assorted other things that my mom wouldn't be happy to have heard me say) were dropped. A race official was near me when it happened and I hope they heard my displeasure.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
When I did the 15K last week, they warned about the possibility of a train coming through, but it wasn't an issue. I think the time it normally comes through would have been before the leaders would have crossed.

In the past, the start of the Chuckanut Foot Race has been delayed a few minutes as we waited for the train to pull out of the station near the start.

2-1B
10-03-2010, 02:32 PM
The title of this thread should have a sub title that reads (JJB's bi-yearly digging up of this thread). Well I took another one down today. 3:27:01 was my time which I'm not all that pleased with, I was hopping for 3:15ish. I had to stop twice to go to the bathroom so each of those cost me about a minute each and then I HAD TO STOP FOR A TRAIN!!!!!!!!!! It was between miles 21-22. That cost me about 40ish seconds. I was NOT happy, many f bombs (and assorted other things that my mom wouldn't be happy to have heard me say) were dropped. A race official was near me when it happened and I hope they heard my displeasure.

You should have done the Maui Marathon on 9/19!
We were there during it. :)

JimJamBonds
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
You should have done the Maui Marathon on 9/19!
We were there during it. :)

NOW you tell me! :rolleyes:

I'll be doing another one in Middleton (near Madison) on Sat. October 30th.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Ok, a bit of bragging on my part. Yesterday I ran the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon and finsihed in a time of 3:15:33.82 which crushed my old pr of 3:26:12. While I didn't hit my goal time I am pleased to have a good run and bouncing back from a few rough miles. :GB_bonesrock:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Ok, a bit of bragging on my part. Yesterday I ran the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon and finsihed in a time of 3:15:33.82 which crushed my old pr of 3:26:12. While I didn't hit my goal time I am pleased to have a good run and bouncing back from a few rough miles. :GB_bonesrock:Excellent! I wonder what I would be able to do if I did one. I think I could probably do under 3:30 right now if I got some long runs in. I think your time would certainly be doable with some training and a good day. 3:00 is probably a bit out of reach at this point.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks MSP, I know I can do better. Twice I had to stop to use the little runners room which when I look at my splits (via my Garmin) those two miles were WAYYYY slower. Also it was in the lowish 40's yesterday and the only time I took a gel because of the temp it wasn't "flowing" so to speak so I stopped to make sure I 'ate' the gel before the water station which was right away. My splits were pretty good, miles 16-17 were about 40ish seconds slow but other then that I was consistantly running miles a bit faster then goal pace. In fact the split for miles 25 and 26 were dead on, so I KNOW I have a faster marathon in me. I've got some ideas on how to get better and nock that time down even further. :oneofthesetimesIWILLgetaBostonMarathonqualifingti me:

JimJamBonds
05-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Yup another 'ran a marathon post.' It was hotter 'n hell today, I bonked, recovered then bonked again. At 21 miles I was told the race was cancelled and there were bus's coming to pick us up if we wanted to stop. Since ol' JJB is a stubburn SOB I kept going and slogged my way to a 3:30:31 which ended up being a very bad day at the office for me.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120520/gb-marathon/?sct=mr_t2_a7

JimJamBonds
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Put another marathon notch on my belt yesterday. Not only did I help set up and organize it but I ran as well. Pr'd by 2 minutes and 31 seconds with a 3:13:02, it wasn't as fast as I wanted (sub 3:10) but it was still a good day at the office, I ended up 3rd in the 30-39 age group and 11th overall.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Put another marathon notch on my belt yesterday. Not only did I help set up and organize it but I ran as well. Pr'd by 2 minutes and 31 seconds with a 3:13:02, it wasn't as fast as I wanted (sub 3:10) but it was still a good day at the office, I ended up 3rd in the 30-39 age group and 11th overall.
Well done. I still have yet to do a marathon. I did do a difficult trail half marathon last fall, though. I think that if I can be consistently putting in 20 miles a week by October, I will make plans to run the Portland (Oregon) Marathon in 2013. That seems like it would be a good one, and would also make for a nice weekend getaway. This year I have had some of my best races in many years. Next big race will be the 7 mile Chuckanut Foot Race. I ran 47:39 last year. I hope to run at least that fast this year, but under 47 would be even better. Sub 46 would be awesome.

JimJamBonds
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I just took a quick look and Portland seems to have a pretty good looking marathon, although they could give out less stuff which would keep the price lower. You don't need to give out 2 shirts, a pendant and a event coin and a medal.

JimJamBonds
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
After nearly two years since my last 'thon on Saturday I ran the Wisconsin Marathon. To keep it short it didn't go my way, I didn't PR and more importantly I didn't get a Boston Marathon qualifying time. But I did keep fighting instead of just packing it in and there is always another race. I'm thinking about doing one in Houston, New Orleans or Phoenix this coming January/February to make my next attempt at a time for Boston, although I am going to do a couple of marathons this summer as training runs for the 50 mile race I am signed up to do in August.

DarthQuack
05-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Awesome! I ran a mile last night after work. :)

JimJamBonds
05-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Awesome! I ran a mile last night after work. :)
Nice, 25.2 more of them and you're there! :pig: All kidding aside nice work DQ.

JimJamBonds
06-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Knocked out #9 today at the marathon that I helped co found and am on the race committee. I didn't race it I merely ran it and it felt good to go out for a long run. Meet some really cool people from all over the US (we had 28 states and DC represented).

Slicker
06-25-2014, 06:20 PM
The last year or so I was in Florida I was running about a 5k per weekend. I'd run it so I could get drunk afterwards but it was still running! I've also done a 10k which is a big deal because I utterly despise running.

JimJamBonds
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
The last year or so I was in Florida I was running about a 5k per weekend. I'd run it so I could get drunk afterwards but it was still running! I've also done a 10k which is a big deal because I utterly despise running.
It was probably even cheaper for you to get drunk after that 10k.

Slicker
06-26-2014, 04:15 PM
It was probably even cheaper for you to get drunk after that 10k.Well, that was the crappy part about the 10k. It was only like the 2nd year they had done it and it was HORRIBLY ran. No beer and hardly any food afterwards. It was a decent concept wherein we "finished on the 50" at Auburn stadium and got to run into the stadium and see yourself finish on the jumbotron (no towels needed for this finish).

JimJamBonds
06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Maybe they can't have beer at a college venue?

JimJamBonds
06-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Did another one, actually it was a 6 hour ultra marathon and I won! I completed 35.85 miles or roughly 7.5 laps.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-01-2014, 01:07 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, great job, JJB. I'm still hoping to build up to a marathon someday, if I can stay healthy long enough. I'm in about the best shape I've been in for quite some time, though I still have some little aches and pains that could set me back a bit if they get worse. Things went well tonight, though. I did a 5000 meter race on the track in about 18:37 (maybe 18:36, couldn't hit the dang button on my watch at the finish). So, that was right at about the goal I was shooting for. Got a 7 mile race coming on in a couple weeks, and a 15K in September. I might do a half marathon at the end of September if I am up to it. There is also a pretty low-key half marathon a week after that 7 mile race I am considering as well. However, I might want to save my energy for the next 5000 on the track at the end of July.

JimJamBonds
07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack there MSP, keep up the good work!

JimJamBonds
07-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Took down #10 last Sunday, I ran the Missoula Marathon in of all places Missoula, Montana. I was out there on vacation and I needed to get a long run in in training for a 50 mile race I'm doing next month. I wasn't sure if the elevation would be an issue (along with sitting in a car for nearly 24 hours and eating junk) so I took it easy the first 16 miles only slightly pushing it the last 10 miles. Time? 3:41, so now I've got 2 states crossed off the list and "only" have 48 more to go to be a 50 stater.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Took down #10 last Sunday, I ran the Missoula Marathon in of all places Missoula, Montana. I was out there on vacation and I needed to get a long run in in training for a 50 mile race I'm doing next month. I wasn't sure if the elevation would be an issue (along with sitting in a car for nearly 24 hours and eating junk) so I took it easy the first 16 miles only slightly pushing it the last 10 miles. Time? 3:41, so now I've got 2 states crossed off the list and "only" have 48 more to go to be a 50 stater.I am confused; have you only been to two states in your life, or run marathons in two of the 50 states? Can you put a 50.26.2 sticker on the back window of your car, then? :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
I've been to 28 states but I've run marathons in two states Wisconsin (9) and Montana (1).

As far as those stickers go I'm not much of a fan so I won't putting put anything like that on my car.