PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual 2009 SSG October Halloween Horror Movie Challenge!

UKWildcat
09-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the Third Annual (2009) SirStevesGuide October Halloween Horror Movie Challenge!!!

All members are encouraged to participate!

Here is a link to the 2007 challenge (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36191).
and a link to last year's 2008 challenge (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=38955).

The rules are simple:

Watch any feature length horror movie between the month of October (1st-31st) and post your results here; with each entry including the day watched, the movie's title, and listed in numerical order. This is the basic format, please see the example below. Feel free to add your own comments about each movie watched, the year it was released, who starred in the film, and other miscellaneous information, if you so desire.

The qualifications are fairly flexible, with the only requirement being that the film is a horror movie in some aspect, whether it be a straight up Horror Movie (like Halloween), a Horror/Comedy (like Shaun of the Dead) or a Sci/Fi Horror movie (like Alien). There is definitely some flexibility here; common sense should be used.

Example:

October 1st
1. Halloween [- (year) - comments, etc, if you want!]

October 2nd
2. Shaun of the Dead [- (year) - comments, etc]
3. Alien [- (year) - comments, etc]

That pretty much sums it up. Most of you should be familiar with these challenges by now, but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, the challenge will start on October 1st (@ 12:00am), in a little over a week, and will run until the 31st. Any movie started before 12:00 am on the 31st, but ends thereafter, will count!

Have fun!!!

:thumbsup:

UKWildcat
09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I ended up watching 42 movies last year, which is not bad I suppose. This year I am going to set my goal at 31, or one a day - though I don't have half the free time I did last year, so I'll be lucky to watch 15 movies. But I'm gonna try and watch a bunch. I'm definitely getting in the mood to do so.

Like last year, I'm going to try and watch movies that I have never seen before, though that did not turn out well. Out of the 42 I watched last year, only 6 were first time viewings. :neutral:

UKWildcat
09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Only a few days away! I'm gettin' excited! :D

Darth Jax
09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
i watched TCM: Next Gen last nite. even if it were Oct. i wouldn't count it. One of the worst movies i've seen, ever.

UKWildcat
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
i watched TCM: Next Gen last nite. even if it were Oct. i wouldn't count it. One of the worst movies i've seen, ever.

lol Yeah, that movie is something else...

UKWildcat
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
October 1st
1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Started it off with the same movie as last year. Great flick, classic!

Ji'dai
10-02-2009, 09:46 PM
October 2
1. Quarantine (2008) - While doing a piece on a firefighter unit, a television reporter and her cameraman get locked in a large apartment building where the tenants have become infected with a virus that turns them into crazed flesh eaters in this awful documentary-style horror movie. First Viewing!

UKWildcat
10-03-2009, 09:01 AM
October 1st
1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Started it off with the same movie as last year. Great flick, classic!

October 2nd
2. The Strangers (2008) - Only my second viewing. It's decent. Could have been better, could have been worse.

electricidad
10-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Oct. 2: Alone in the Dark-You know you're in trouble if your hero is Christian Slater, and Tara Reid is playing some sort of scientist. I don't even recall seeing trailers for this 2005 mess.

electricidad
10-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Oct. 2
Alone in the Dark: You know you're in trouble if your hero is Christian Slater, and Tara Reid is playing some sort of scientist. I don't even recall seeing trailers for this 2005 mess.

Oct. 3
The Last Man on Earth: (1964) This scared the hell out of me as a kid. Now, not so much. Through the magic of Hulu, I saw this black and white Vincent Price classic tonight. It's a fine palette cleanser after yesterday's awful movie.

OC47150
10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Oct. 1 -- Night of the Living Dead. (1969) Lost track how many times I've watched it.

Oct. 2 -- Dawn of the Dead. (1978??). I prefer this one over the recent remake. With a smaller cast, it's a tighter movie. Multiple viewings, but still fun to notice something new every time.

Oct. 3 -- Day of the Dead. (1985) Romero's zombie trilogy continues with more of an emphasis on the military. Of the original three, it's my least favorite, but the FX's are great.

Oct. 4 -- Wrong Turn 2: Dead End. (2008) I taped this off the Sci-Fi Channel and watched it this morning. It wasn't too bad for a DTV flick. I was a little off on who I suspected of being the hero/heroine. First viewing.

Ji'dai
10-04-2009, 01:15 PM
October 2
1. Quarantine (2008) First Viewing! - While doing a piece on a firefighter unit, a television reporter and her cameraman get locked in a large apartment building where the tenants have become infected with a virus that turns them into crazed flesh eaters in this awful documentary-style horror movie.
October 3
2. Body Snatchers (1993) First Viewing! - While on assignment at a military base, an EPA biologist and his family discover that alien pods are taking over the personnel while they sleep in this okay science fiction film, which is yet another adaptation of the Jack Finney book The Body Snatchers. Gabrielle Anwar stars as the biologist's teen daughter, perennial army character actor R. Lee Ermey plays the base commander, and Forest Whitaker is an army doctor.
October 4
3. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) First Viewing! - A rocket scientist develops a new weapon to combat the arrival of an alien fleet bent on planetary domination in this fun 50's sci-fi movie. Features special effects by Ray Harryhausen.

Ji'dai
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
October 2
1. Quarantine (2008) First Viewing! - While doing a piece on a firefighter unit, a television reporter and her cameraman get locked in a large apartment building where the tenants have become infected with a virus that turns them into crazed flesh eaters in this awful documentary-style horror movie.
October 3
2. Body Snatchers (1993) First Viewing! - While on assignment at a military base, an EPA biologist and his family discover that alien pods are taking over the personnel while they sleep in this okay science fiction film, which is yet another adaptation of the Jack Finney book The Body Snatchers. Gabrielle Anwar stars as the biologist's teen daughter, perennial army character actor R. Lee Ermey plays the base commander, and Forest Whitaker is an army doctor.
October 4
3. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) First Viewing! - A rocket scientist develops a new weapon to combat the arrival of an alien fleet bent on planetary domination in this fun 50's sci-fi movie. Features special effects by Ray Harryhausen.
October 5 -~ Double Feature! ~-
4. White Zombie (1932) First Viewing! - A Haitian plantation owner who covets his friend’s new bride enlists a Voodoo witch doctor (Bela Lugosi) to turn her into his mindless zombie love slave in this thriller. This 1999 restored version features plenty of piercing stares by 1930’s horror icon Bela Lugosi.
5. Madman (1982) First Viewing! - Counselors at a wilderness camp for gifted children are hunted down and brutally murdered one by one by an axe-wielding maniac in this formulaic slasher film.

Ji'dai
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
4. White Zombie (1932) First Viewing! - A Haitian plantation owner who covets his friendís new bride enlists a Voodoo witch doctor (Bela Lugosi) to turn her into his mindless zombie love slave in this thriller. This 1999 restored version features plenty of piercing stares by 1930ís horror icon Bela Lugosi.
5. Madman (1982) First Viewing! - Counselors at a wilderness camp for gifted children are hunted down and brutally murdered one by one by an axe-wielding maniac in this formulaic slasher film.
October 6
6. The Road Builder (1971) First Viewing! - A blind woman and her middle-aged spinster daughter (Patricia Neal - Bobbyís mother in the classic 1951 sci-fi picture The Day the Earth Stood Still) take on a disturbed young handyman with a penchant for murdering beautiful young women and burying their bodies at road construction sites in this modern gothic horror film.

UKWildcat
10-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice work Ji'dai!

I have been slackin'... Actually, last night I was going to watch the new Prom Night movie (2008 I believe), but it was just terrible... and quite boring. I fell asleep during it, and I am not going to finish it. So that was a wasted evening. lol. Gonna watching something tonight though.

OC47150
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Oct. 4: Land of the Dead (2005). First viewing. George Romero's zombies attack a protected city. It's not a bad movie but it had so much potential. And it stars Simon Baker, the Mentalist!

Oct. 5: Undead (2003). First viewing. An UFO stirs trouble for a small Australian town, turning its populace into zombies. This is a little gem of a movie, made in the same vein as Shaun of the Dead. A good mix of humor and horror. I highly recommend it.

Oct. 6: Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988). First viewing. The title says it all. After several zombie movies, I needed something light.

Gonna to the time-warp to the '50s and watch some classic movies next.

Ji'dai
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
4. White Zombie (1932) First Viewing! - A Haitian plantation owner who covets his friend’s new bride enlists a Voodoo witch doctor (Bela Lugosi) to turn her into his mindless zombie love slave in this thriller. This 1999 restored version features plenty of piercing stares by 1930’s horror icon Bela Lugosi.
October 6
6. The Road Builder (1971) First Viewing! - A blind woman and her middle-aged spinster daughter (Patricia Neal - Bobby’s mother in the classic 1951 sci-fi picture The Day the Earth Stood Still) take on a disturbed young handyman with a penchant for murdering beautiful young women and burying their bodies at road construction sites in this modern gothic horror film.
October 7 -~ Double Feature! ~-
7. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) First Viewing! - After an ailing wheelchair-bound classical pianist dies in an accidental fall, his nurse, heirs, and eccentric circle of friends gather in his castle and soon hear the grand piano playing by itself and are plagued by the deceased’s severed hand. Peter Lorre gives an effectively creepy performance as one of the pianist’s unhinged friends with an obsession for astrology and the occult.
8. The Alligator People (1959) First Viewing! - A woman’s search for her missing husband leads her to his family in the Louisiana bayou and a doctor who is experimenting with animal limb regeneration on humans with unexpected side effects in this kooky monster movie. Lon Chaney, Jr. plays the family’s hook-handed deliveryman.

2-1B
10-09-2009, 12:13 AM
October 1st
The Devil's Rejects (2005) - I've seen this multiple times but it's been a few years so it was cool to watch again
October 3rd
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - This is one of my favorite film series from my childhood and these flicks are not aging well...but I still love it. I saw the trailer for the remake the other day and it put me in the mood for some classic Elm Street
October 6th
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master (1988) - This is my favorite of the sequels, it's cheesy but I still enjoy it. I haven't watched an Elm Street movie in several years, a shame really since I have that nice box set.
October 8th
Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Sure, I much prefer the original but this was a decent remake and I haven't seen it in a few years, so I was in the mood for it.

UKWildcat
10-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I am slacking something awful! :cry:

Ji'dai
10-10-2009, 07:56 AM
October 2
October 3
October 4
4. White Zombie (1932) First Viewing! - A Haitian plantation owner who covets his friendís new bride enlists a Voodoo witch doctor (Bela Lugosi) to turn her into his mindless zombie love slave in this thriller. This 1999 restored version features plenty of piercing stares by 1930ís horror icon Bela Lugosi.
October 6
6. The Road Builder (1971) First Viewing! - A blind woman and her middle-aged spinster daughter (Patricia Neal - Bobbyís mother in the classic 1951 sci-fi picture The Day the Earth Stood Still) take on a disturbed young handyman with a penchant for murdering beautiful young women and burying their bodies at road construction sites in this modern gothic horror film.
7. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) First Viewing! - After an ailing wheelchair-bound classical pianist dies in an accidental fall, his nurse, heirs, and eccentric circle of friends gather in his castle and soon hear the grand piano playing by itself and are plagued by the deceasedís severed hand. Peter Lorre gives an effectively creepy performance as one of the pianistís unhinged friends with an obsession for astrology and the occult.
8. The Alligator People (1959) First Viewing! - A womanís search for her missing husband leads her to his family in the Louisiana bayou and a doctor who is experimenting with animal limb regeneration on humans with unexpected side effects in this kooky monster movie. Lon Chaney, Jr. plays the familyís hook-handed deliveryman.
October 9
9. Haxan (1922) First Viewing! - This silent Swedish documentary examines the origins of superstition and religion and uses dramatic recreations to show the near-hysterical obsession with witches and black magic during the Middle Ages and the witch-hunts during the Inquisition that resulted in the torture and death of more than 8 million men, women, and children. Costume and creature design for the fillm is impressive, rivaling the modern era.

Darth Jax
10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
The month is 1/3 of the way over, but i've managed to finally get on the board. Double feature tonite:

1. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) decent flick, but the remake is better
2. House of Wax (1953) superior to the original, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the horrible remake featuring Paris. Mr. Price is pretty incredible.

Ji'dai
10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
7. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) First Viewing! - After an ailing wheelchair-bound classical pianist dies in an accidental fall, his nurse, heirs, and eccentric circle of friends gather in his castle and soon hear the grand piano playing by itself and are plagued by the deceasedís severed hand. Peter Lorre gives an effectively creepy performance as one of the pianistís unhinged friends with an obsession for astrology and the occult.
8. The Alligator People (1959) First Viewing! - A womanís search for her missing husband leads her to his family in the Louisiana bayou and a doctor who is experimenting with animal limb regeneration on humans with unexpected side effects in this kooky monster movie. Lon Chaney, Jr. plays the familyís hook-handed deliveryman.
October 9
9. Haxan (1922) First Viewing! - This silent Swedish documentary examines the origins of superstition and religion and uses dramatic recreations to show the near-hysterical obsession with witches and black magic during the Middle Ages and the witch-hunts during the Inquisition that resulted in the torture and death of more than 8 million men, women, and children. Costume and creature design for the fillm is impressive, rivaling the modern era.
October 10
10. The Haunted House of Horror (1969) First Viewing! - A group of mod British hipsters meet violent deaths at the hands of a cleaver-wielding psycho after leaving a dull party to explore a local abandoned mansion in this gore-filled fright fest. Frankie Avalon plays the group's leader.

electricidad
10-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Oct. 2
Alone in the Dark: (2005)--Awful.

Oct. 3
The Last Man on Earth: (1964)--Awfully good for its time.

Oct. 11
Dawn of the Dead: (2004)--Good remake, and a faster, more effective movie than the original. But the original Dawn of the Dead is a better movie.

Ji'dai
10-12-2009, 09:16 AM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
10. The Haunted House of Horror (1969) First Viewing! - A group of mod British hipsters meet violent deaths at the hands of a cleaver-wielding psycho after leaving a dull party to explore a local abandoned mansion in this gore-filled fright fest. Frankie Avalon plays the group's leader.
October 11
11. Isle of the Dead (1945) First Viewing! - In 1912, during the Balkan Wars, a Greek general (Boris Karloff) and a journalist visit an island archaeological site and cemetery and discover his wifeís grave has been robbed and then quarantines himself and a small group of expatriates to the isle after one of their number falls victim to the plague that is sweeping the war-torn country. The group unwittingly entombs one woman alive, mistaking her comatose state for death, but she escapes her coffin and in a fit of madness attacks the others while the general succumbs to the superstitious belief that a young Greek woman in the group is actually a vengeful spirit that is causing the pestilence. Jason Robards, Sr., the father of actor Jason Robards, Jr. (Cheyenne in Once Upon a Time in the West), has a small role in this film.

OC47150
10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Oct. 8 -- Dying Breed (2008) First viewing. An Australian horror flick.

Autopsy (2008) First viewing. Kids returning from a trip to New Orleans are involved in an accident and go to a hospital where everything isn't on the level.

Tarantula. First viewing. A classic from the 50s involving a giant spider and the great John Agar!

Oct. 9 --The Mole People. First viewing. Archeologists find an ancient Sumarian city high in the Himalaya Mountains. One of my favorite 50s movies with John Agar. Alan Napier (Alfred from TV's Batman) plays a Sumarian high priest and Hugh Beaumont (Ward Cleaver!) is one of Agar's fellow archeologists.

Oct. 10 -- The Monolith Monsters. First viewing. Can rocks be alive? They are in the Monolith Monsters.

The Blob (1957) First viewing. An unknown substance starts attacking people in a small town. Starring the King of Cool, Steve McQueen.

Oct. 11 -- House of Wax (1953). First viewing. Vincent Price is the owner/operator of a macabre wax museum. One of his assistants is a young Charles Bronson (using his real name, Charles Buchinsky).

Oct. 12 -- Monster on the Campus. First viewing. A fish exposed to gamma rays has bad effects on a small university.

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933). First viewing. An earlier version of House of Wax. I actually like the pace and storyline better in this one than House of Wax.

Ji'dai
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
11. Isle of the Dead (1945) First Viewing! - In 1912, during the Balkan Wars, a Greek general (Boris Karloff) and a journalist visit an island archaeological site and cemetery and discover his wifeís grave has been robbed and then quarantines himself and a small group of expatriates to the isle after one of their number falls victim to the plague that is sweeping the war-torn country. The group unwittingly entombs one woman alive, mistaking her comatose state for death, but she escapes her coffin and in a fit of madness attacks the others while the general succumbs to the superstitious belief that a young Greek woman in the group is actually a vengeful spirit that is causing the pestilence. Jason Robards, Sr., the father of actor Jason Robards, Jr. (Cheyenne in Once Upon a Time in the West), has a small role in this film.
October 12
12. The Man from Planet X (1951) First Viewing! - As another world nears Earth orbit, a journalist visiting a scientist and his daughter at a castle in the Scottish moors discovers an alien spacecraft and its occupant, who may or may not be the initial landing in a potential invasion. Though not as bad as an Ed Wood movie, this film, which co-stars Margaret Field (mother of actress Sally Field), was shot in only a week by Austrian director Edward G. Ulmer.
October 13 -~ Double Feature! ~-
13. Mad Love (1935) First Viewing! - A brilliant surgeon (Peter Lorre) with an obsession for the macabre grafts the hands of a deceased murderer onto the arms of the maimed pianist husband of the actress he secretly loves and soon takes advantage of the unexpected psychological side effects of the operation in this engaging nail-biter.
14. Sugar Hill (1974) First Viewing! - After gangsters kill her boyfriend, a woman calls upon the Voodoo god Baron Samedi to bring forth the undead to punish and kill those responsible in this fun blaxploitation horror film. Features the song Supernatural Voodoo Woman by Motownís The Originals.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-14-2009, 02:23 AM
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - Pretty good, but I feel like it would have been better had I watched it on something other than YouTube. The overall expressionist look was awesome. It reminded me of Tim Burton - er, the other way around, I guess.

Darth Jax
10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
2. House of Wax (1953) superior to the original, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the horrible remake featuring Paris. Mr. Price is pretty incredible.

October 14
3. Angel Heart (1987) mystery/noir horror flick. only seen it once before, my memory was of a much more graphic film. similar yet different to jacob's ladder.

morpheus282
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I watched an incredibly scary movie last night - The Proposal.

Ji'dai
10-15-2009, 07:45 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
12. The Man from Planet X (1951) First Viewing! - As another world nears Earth orbit, a journalist visiting a scientist and his daughter at a castle in the Scottish moors discovers an alien spacecraft and its occupant, who may or may not be the initial landing in a potential invasion. Though not as bad as an Ed Wood movie, this film, which co-stars Margaret Field (mother of actress Sally Field), was shot in only a week by Austrian director Edward G. Ulmer.
13. Mad Love (1935) First Viewing! - A brilliant surgeon (Peter Lorre) with an obsession for the macabre grafts the hands of a deceased murderer onto the arms of the maimed pianist husband of the actress he secretly loves and soon takes advantage of the unexpected psychological side effects of the operation in this engaging nail-biter.
14. Sugar Hill (1974) First Viewing! - After gangsters kill her boyfriend, a woman calls upon the Voodoo god Baron Samedi to bring forth the undead to punish and kill those responsible in this fun blaxploitation horror film. Features the song Supernatural Voodoo Woman by Motownís The Originals.
October 14
15. Pit and the Pendulum (1961) First Viewing! - An Englishman travels to the seaside castle of his brother-in-law, a Spanish Don (Vincent Price), to investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his sisterís unexpected demise; and he soon finds himself tied to a slab in one of the castleís many torture chambers as a gargantuan blade raised overhead slowly descends to slice him in two. Richard Matheson scripted the screenplay for this watchable Roger Corman film, which is based on the Edgar Allen Poe short story.
October 15
16. A Trip to the Moon (1902) First Viewing! - A group of astronomers pile into a large shell, are shot out of an immense cannon and land on the moon, where they take shelter in an underground cavern filled with giant mushrooms and meet the Selenites, fierce lunar warriors who explode into puffs of smoke when struck by the Earthlingís canes and umbrellas. Brought before the alien king and his court, the expedition leader breaks free of his bonds and kills the Selenite chief. The astronomers then flee to their ship and push it off the edge of the moon where it falls into the ocean and the safety of the Earth below. This film, which was made by Georges Melies, is not only one of the earliest motion pictures ever made, but one of the first in the science fiction genre.

UKWildcat
10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
October 1st

October 2nd
2. The Strangers (2008) - Only my second viewing. It's decent. Could have been better, could have been worse.

October 15th
3. 28 Days Later (2002) - One of my favorites.
4. 28 Weeks Later (2007) - A very worthy sequel in my opinion.

Ji'dai
10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th
4. 28 Weeks Later (2007) - A very worthy sequel in my opinion. Man, you're not even trying! :dis:

---

October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
15. Pit and the Pendulum (1961) First Viewing! - An Englishman travels to the seaside castle of his brother-in-law, a Spanish Don (Vincent Price), to investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his sisterís unexpected demise; and he soon finds himself tied to a slab in one of the castleís many torture chambers as a gargantuan blade raised overhead slowly descends to slice him in two. Richard Matheson scripted the screenplay for this watchable Roger Corman film, which is based on the Edgar Allen Poe short story.
October 15
16. A Trip to the Moon (1902) First Viewing! - A group of astronomers pile into a large shell, are shot out of an immense cannon and land on the moon, where they take shelter in an underground cavern filled with giant mushrooms and meet the Selenites, fierce lunar warriors who explode into puffs of smoke when struck by the Earthlingís canes and umbrellas. Brought before the alien king and his court, the expedition leader breaks free of his bonds and kills the Selenite chief. The astronomers then flee to their ship and push it off the edge of the moon where it falls into the ocean and the safety of the Earth below. This film, which was made by Georges Melies, is not only one of the earliest motion pictures ever made, but one of the first in the science fiction genre.
October 16
17. The Devil Commands (1941) First Viewing! - A scientist (Boris Karloff) discovers a method of reading brainwaves and attempts to contact his beloved wife from beyond the grave using a psychic and stolen corpses in this rather fascinating thriller. The climatic scenes near the end with an assortment of corpses in space suits wired together and seated around a table with a psychic attempting to contact the ethereal plane was really creepy.

2-1B
10-18-2009, 02:04 AM
October 1st
The Devil's Rejects (2005) - I've seen this multiple times but it's been a few years so it was cool to watch again
October 3rd
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - This is one of my favorite film series from my childhood and these flicks are not aging well...but I still love it. I saw the trailer for the remake the other day and it put me in the mood for some classic Elm Street
October 6th
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master (1988) - This is my favorite of the sequels, it's cheesy but I still enjoy it. I haven't watched an Elm Street movie in several years, a shame really since I have that nice box set.
October 8th
Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Sure, I much prefer the original but this was a decent remake and I haven't seen it in a few years, so I was in the mood for it.
October 15th
Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - I really like this movie, haven't seen it in several years so I felt like watching it again. I love the fact that they didn't ignore the other movies in the 2 different series (well, they ignored stuff -- thankfully -- but didn't break continuity in any significant ways, which I appreciated).
October 17th
Zombie Strippers (2008) - FIRST VIEWING Uh, clearly my list this year is heavy on Robert Englund, which is what led me to watch this movie...that, and the fact that Jenna Jameson leads a group of title characters.

Ji'dai
10-18-2009, 10:57 AM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
6. The Road Builder (1971) First Viewing! - A blind woman and her middle-aged spinster daughter (Patricia Neal - Bobby’s mother in the classic 1951 sci-fi picture The Day the Earth Stood Still) take on a disturbed young handyman with a penchant for murdering beautiful young women and burying their bodies at road construction sites in this modern gothic horror film.
7. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) First Viewing! - After an ailing wheelchair-bound classical pianist dies in an accidental fall, his nurse, heirs, and eccentric circle of friends gather in his castle and soon hear the grand piano playing by itself and are plagued by the deceased’s severed hand. Peter Lorre gives an effectively creepy performance as one of the pianist’s unhinged friends with an obsession for astrology and the occult.
8. The Alligator People (1959) First Viewing! - A woman’s search for her missing husband leads her to his family in the Louisiana bayou and a doctor who is experimenting with animal limb regeneration on humans with unexpected side effects in this kooky monster movie. Lon Chaney, Jr. plays the family’s hook-handed deliveryman.
October 9
October 10
October 11
11. Isle of the Dead (1945) First Viewing! - In 1912, during the Balkan Wars, a Greek general (Boris Karloff) and a journalist visit an island archaeological site and cemetery and discover his wife’s grave has been robbed and then quarantines himself and a small group of expatriates to the isle after one of their number falls victim to the plague that is sweeping the war-torn country. The group unwittingly entombs one woman alive, mistaking her comatose state for death, but she escapes her coffin and in a fit of madness attacks the others while the general succumbs to the superstitious belief that a young Greek woman in the group is actually a vengeful spirit that is causing the pestilence. Jason Robards, Sr., the father of actor Jason Robards, Jr. (Cheyenne in Once Upon a Time in the West), has a small role in this film.
October 12
14. Sugar Hill (1974) First Viewing! - After gangsters kill her boyfriend, a woman calls upon the Voodoo god Baron Samedi to bring forth the undead to punish and kill those responsible in this fun blaxploitation horror film. Features the song Supernatural Voodoo Woman by Motown’s The Originals.
October 14
15. Pit and the Pendulum (1961) First Viewing! - An Englishman travels to the seaside castle of his brother-in-law, a Spanish Don (Vincent Price), to investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his sister’s unexpected demise; and he soon finds himself tied to a slab in one of the castle’s many torture chambers as a gargantuan blade raised overhead slowly descends to slice him in two. Richard Matheson scripted the screenplay for this watchable Roger Corman film, which is based on the Edgar Allen Poe short story.
October 15
16. A Trip to the Moon (1902) First Viewing! - A group of astronomers pile into a large shell, are shot out of an immense cannon and land on the moon, where they take shelter in an underground cavern filled with giant mushrooms and meet the Selenites, fierce lunar warriors who explode into puffs of smoke when struck by the Earthling’s canes and umbrellas. Brought before the alien king and his court, the expedition leader breaks free of his bonds and kills the Selenite chief. The astronomers then flee to their ship and push it off the edge of the moon where it falls into the ocean and the safety of the Earth below. This film, which was made by Georges Melies, is not only one of the earliest motion pictures ever made, but one of the first in the science fiction genre.
October 16
17. The Devil Commands (1941) First Viewing! - A scientist (Boris Karloff) discovers a method of reading brainwaves and attempts to contact his beloved wife from beyond the grave using a psychic and stolen corpses in this rather fascinating thriller. The climatic scenes near the end with an assortment of corpses in space suits wired together and seated around a table with a psychic attempting to contact the ethereal plane was really creepy.
October 17 -~ Double Feature! ~-
18. Videodrome (1983) First Viewing! - The president of a small television cable channel (James Woods) that airs risque programming in order to boost ratings discovers a pirate broadcast that features realistic torture and murder with subliminal messages that cause hallucinations and psychotic behavior in this terrible horror film. Deborah Harry (Blondie) co-stars as Woods' sadomasochistic romantic interest. This movie, which was directed by David Cronenberg, also features a soundtrack by Howard Shore, who also scored Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.
19. 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) First Viewing! - After his rocket ship crash lands in the sea off the coast of Italy, the sole survivor of the first manned mission to Venus leads a furious monster-hunt for the live specimen the expedition brought back from the planet in this fun creature feature. Once loose on earth, the bipedal lizard monster, desgined and animated by Ray Harryhausen, soon grows at an exponential rate and terrorizes Rome until it finally meets its fate after scaling the Colosseum.

OC47150
10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Oct. 14 -- The Human Monster (1939). First viewing. Bela Lugosi in a non-monster role . He's a crooked insurance man who's killing people and collecting their policies.

Oct. 15 -- The Land that Time Forgot (1975). First viewing. A World War 1 U-boat crew and survivors from a ship it sinks travel to a mysterious island in the South Atlantic that's inhabited by dinosaurs.

Oct. 16 -- War of the Worlds (1953). First viewing. The original and far superior version to the Tom Cruise one. Martians attack the world!!

Oct. 17 -- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1955). First viewing. A mysterious alien race is trying to take over the population of Santa Mira, CA., but Kevin McCarthy is on to them. Another great classic. I've always thought of McCarthy's character as the horniest sci-fi hero/antagonist in movie history. Always trying to make a move on Dana Wynter.

Oct. 18 -- District 9 (2009). First viewing. Saw this one at the theatre. I have to say, it's one of the more original sci-fi movies I'd seen in a while, and it quite wasn't what I expected. It's worth a view.

UKWildcat
10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Man, you're not even trying! :dis:

I really am, it's just that don't have the free time I used to. :cry:

UKWildcat
10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th
5. Drag Me To Hell (2009) - First Time Viewing - This was an interesting one. But overall, I enjoyed it.

Ji'dai
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
October 15
October 16
18. Videodrome (1983) First Viewing! - The president of a small television cable channel (James Woods) that airs risque programming in order to boost ratings discovers a pirate broadcast that features realistic torture and murder with subliminal messages that cause hallucinations and psychotic behavior in this terrible horror film. Deborah Harry (Blondie) co-stars as Woods' sadomasochistic romantic interest. This movie, which was directed by David Cronenberg, also features a soundtrack by Howard Shore, who also scored Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.
19. 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) First Viewing! - After his rocket ship crash lands in the sea off the coast of Italy, the sole survivor of the first manned mission to Venus leads a furious monster-hunt for the live specimen the expedition brought back from the planet in this fun creature feature. Once loose on earth, the bipedal lizard monster, desgined and animated by Ray Harryhausen, soon grows at an exponential rate and terrorizes Rome until it finally meets its fate after scaling the Colosseum.
October 18
20. The Devil Doll (1936) First Viewing! - A banker (Lionel Barrymore) framed for murder and theft by his three partners escapes from Devilís Island and returns to Paris to take revenge against the men by employing his scientist friendís method of shrinking living things to one-sixth actual size and using the tiny people to carry out his plans in this watchable thriller.

UKWildcat
10-20-2009, 09:11 AM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th
5. Drag Me To Hell (2009) - First Time Viewing - This was an interesting one. But overall, I enjoyed it.

October 19th
6. The Thing (1982) - Easily one of my favorite John Carpenter movies. Going to try to watch The Fog and, of course, Halloween, before the challenge is up as well.

Ji'dai
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
11. Isle of the Dead (1945) First Viewing! - In 1912, during the Balkan Wars, a Greek general (Boris Karloff) and a journalist visit an island archaeological site and cemetery and discover his wife’s grave has been robbed and then quarantines himself and a small group of expatriates to the isle after one of their number falls victim to the plague that is sweeping the war-torn country. The group unwittingly entombs one woman alive, mistaking her comatose state for death, but she escapes her coffin and in a fit of madness attacks the others while the general succumbs to the superstitious belief that a young Greek woman in the group is actually a vengeful spirit that is causing the pestilence. Jason Robards, Sr., the father of actor Jason Robards, Jr. (Cheyenne in Once Upon a Time in the West), has a small role in this film.
October 12
14. Sugar Hill (1974) First Viewing! - After gangsters kill her boyfriend, a woman calls upon the Voodoo god Baron Samedi to bring forth the undead to punish and kill those responsible in this fun blaxploitation horror film. Features the song Supernatural Voodoo Woman by Motown’s The Originals.
October 14
15. Pit and the Pendulum (1961) First Viewing! - An Englishman travels to the seaside castle of his brother-in-law, a Spanish Don (Vincent Price), to investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding his sister’s unexpected demise; and he soon finds himself tied to a slab in one of the castle’s many torture chambers as a gargantuan blade raised overhead slowly descends to slice him in two. Richard Matheson scripted the screenplay for this watchable Roger Corman film, which is based on the Edgar Allen Poe short story.
October 15
16. A Trip to the Moon (1902) First Viewing! - A group of astronomers pile into a large shell, are shot out of an immense cannon and land on the moon, where they take shelter in an underground cavern filled with giant mushrooms and meet the Selenites, fierce lunar warriors who explode into puffs of smoke when struck by the Earthling’s canes and umbrellas. Brought before the alien king and his court, the expedition leader breaks free of his bonds and kills the Selenite chief. The astronomers then flee to their ship and push it off the edge of the moon where it falls into the ocean and the safety of the Earth below. This film, which was made by Georges Melies, is not only one of the earliest motion pictures ever made, but one of the first in the science fiction genre.
October 16
October 18
20. The Devil Doll (1936) First Viewing! - A banker (Lionel Barrymore) framed for murder and theft by his three partners escapes from Devil’s Island and returns to Paris to take revenge against the men by employing his scientist friend’s method of shrinking living things to one-sixth actual size and using the tiny people to carry out his plans in this watchable thriller.
October 19 -~ Double Feature! ~-
21. TerrorVision (1986) First Viewing! - A hideous space mutant is inadvertently beamed to Earth, where it rematerializes in the suburban home of a stereotypical 80’s family and soon wreaks havoc with its insatiable appetite for human flesh in this awful satire.
22. Tales of Terror (1962) First Viewing! - This trilogy of terror was directed by Roger Corman and scripted by Richard Matheson, who adapted the screenplay from the Edgar Allen Poe short stories: a woman returns to the decaying family mansion of her youth to find that her morose father (Vincent Price) has never buried the corpse of her mother after the woman’s unexpected death at a party many years before in Morella; and In The Black Cat, a rotund drunkard (Peter Lorre) entombs his beautiful wife and her lover (Vincent Price) behind a wall in the cellar but is ultimately betrayed to the police by the wailing of woman’s hated feline pet; and finally, while on his death bed, a wealthy man (Vincent Price) asks a hypnotist to put him into a deep sleep in order to cheat death, but the experiment inadvertently traps the man’s soul inside his decaying corpse, preventing it from finding peace in The Case of M. Valdemar.

2-1B
10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Ji'dai, I loved TerrorVision when I was a kid !
I can't imagine I would like it much if I watched it now, though. lol

UKWildcat
10-21-2009, 08:50 AM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th
6. The Thing (1982) - Easily one of my favorite John Carpenter movies. Going to try to watch The Fog and, of course, Halloween, before the challenge is up as well.

October 20th
7. Hatchet (2006) - First Time Viewing - This actually wasn't a bad little movie. I was rather surprised with this one.

Ji'dai
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Ji'dai, I loved TerrorVision when I was a kid !
I can't imagine I would like it much if I watched it now, though. lol Yeah, it seemed pretty juvenile. I wasn't really expecting much, but I knew after the first ten campy minutes that this movie was going to be a chore to sit through.

---

October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
October 15
October 16
October 18
20. The Devil Doll (1936) First Viewing! - A banker (Lionel Barrymore) framed for murder and theft by his three partners escapes from Devilís Island and returns to Paris to take revenge against the men by employing his scientist friendís method of shrinking living things to one-sixth actual size and using the tiny people to carry out his plans in this watchable thriller.
21. TerrorVision (1986) First Viewing! - A hideous space mutant is inadvertently beamed to Earth, where it rematerializes in the suburban home of a stereotypical 80ís family and soon wreaks havoc with its insatiable appetite for human flesh in this awful satire.
22. Tales of Terror (1962) First Viewing! - This trilogy of terror was directed by Roger Corman and scripted by Richard Matheson, who adapted the screenplay from the Edgar Allen Poe short stories: a woman returns to the decaying family mansion of her youth to find that her morose father (Vincent Price) has never buried the corpse of her mother after the womanís unexpected death at a party many years before in Morella; and In The Black Cat, a rotund drunkard (Peter Lorre) entombs his beautiful wife and her lover (Vincent Price) behind a wall in the cellar but is ultimately betrayed to the police by the wailing of womanís hated feline pet; and finally, while on his death bed, a wealthy man (Vincent Price) asks a hypnotist to put him into a deep sleep in order to cheat death, but the experiment inadvertently traps the manís soul inside his decaying corpse, preventing it from finding peace in The Case of M. Valdemar.
October 20
23. Turistas (2006) First Viewing! - A group of young European and American travelers get stranded in the rural Brazilian countryside, are drugged and robbed by the locals, and soon find themselves the captive patients of a doctor running an illegal organ transplant operation in this effective hair-raiser.

UKWildcat
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th
7. Hatchet (2006) - First Time Viewing - This actually wasn't a bad little movie. I was rather surprised with this one.

October 21st
8. Night of the Living Dead (1990) - I really enjoy this remake.

2-1B
10-23-2009, 07:39 PM
October 1st
October 3rd
October 6th
October 8th
October 15th
Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - I really like this movie, haven't seen it in several years so I felt like watching it again. I love the fact that they didn't ignore the other movies in the 2 different series (well, they ignored stuff -- thankfully -- but didn't break continuity in any significant ways, which I appreciated).
October 17th
Zombie Strippers (2008) - FIRST VIEWING Uh, clearly my list this year is heavy on Robert Englund, which is what led me to watch this movie...that, and the fact that Jenna Jameson leads a group of title characters.

October 21st
2001 Maniacs! (2006) - FIRST VIEWING Well I guess I'm still on a bit of a Robert Englund kick, but really the reason I (finally) watched this is because I saw some of the cast promoting it at a horror con in Chicago back in 2006. This movie is bad but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Eli Roth makes a cameo, which is not something I approve of, but there are some other entertaining things about this flick. I can't recommend it to the casual fan, though. Now I just heard that Bill Moseley took over for Robert Englund in the sequel.

UKWildcat
10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th

October 21st

October 23rd
9. I am Legend (2007) - Good film, gets better with each additional viewing I believe.
10. The Last House on the Left (2009) - First Time Viewing - Having never seen the original (which is definitely on my list now) I didn't know too much about the movie going in. But I must say, I really liked it! Great movie!

2-1B
10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
UKW, the original Last House is very crusty, it hasn't aged very well. Lemme know what you think. I haven't seen the remake, although I noticed it has Mr. W from Deadwood. :thumbsup:

October 1st
October 3rd
October 6th
October 8th
October 15th
October 17th
October 21st
2001 Maniacs! (2006) - FIRST VIEWING Well I guess I'm still on a bit of a Robert Englund kick, but really the reason I (finally) watched this is because I saw some of the cast promoting it at a horror con in Chicago back in 2006. This movie is bad but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Eli Roth makes a cameo, which is not something I approve of, but there are some other entertaining things about this flick. I can't recommend it to the casual fan, though. Now I just heard that Bill Moseley took over for Robert Englund in the sequel.

October 23rd
Saw V (2008) - I know this one got some bad reviews but I loved it, thought it was one of the tighter films in the series. I love the cat and mouse detective story angle.
Shaun of the Dead (2004) - This is one of my alltime favorites, so it's required viewing every year for me. Hard to believe it's been 5 years since I saw it in the theater! Somehow, this movie gets better every time I watch it.

Tonight I'm going to see Saw VI, can't wait !!!

2-1B
10-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The Devil's Rejects (2005)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master (1988)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Freddy Vs. Jason (2003)
Zombie Strippers (2008) - FIRST VIEWING
2001 Maniacs! (2006) - FIRST VIEWING
Saw V (2008)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)

October 24th
Queen of the Damned (2002) - FIRST VIEWING - And definitely my last viewing.
The Exorcist III (1990) - Nice little picture, I have ben a fan for years although I never read the novel Legion (on which it was based). It wasn't until more recently that I realized how much Blatty was compromised by the studio on the ending...I still like it, though. Definitely a replacement for Exorcist II, which should not be considered.
Saw VI (2009) - FIRST VIEWING - Well I really liked it, I know the series is starting to run out of steam but they wrapped up a lot of loose ends which was satisfying, but also left it open for more sequels (beginning with Saw VII next year). I'll be there to see it !

Ji'dai
10-25-2009, 07:49 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
October 15
October 16
October 18
20. The Devil Doll (1936) First Viewing! - A banker (Lionel Barrymore) framed for murder and theft by his three partners escapes from Devil’s Island and returns to Paris to take revenge against the men by employing his scientist friend’s method of shrinking living things to one-sixth actual size and using the tiny people to carry out his plans in this watchable thriller.
21. TerrorVision (1986) First Viewing! - A hideous space mutant is inadvertently beamed to Earth, where it rematerializes in the suburban home of a stereotypical 80’s family and soon wreaks havoc with its insatiable appetite for human flesh in this awful satire.
22. Tales of Terror (1962) First Viewing! - This trilogy of terror was directed by Roger Corman and scripted by Richard Matheson, who adapted the screenplay from the Edgar Allen Poe short stories: a woman returns to the decaying family mansion of her youth to find that her morose father (Vincent Price) has never buried the corpse of her mother after the woman’s unexpected death at a party many years before in Morella; and In The Black Cat, a rotund drunkard (Peter Lorre) entombs his beautiful wife and her lover (Vincent Price) behind a wall in the cellar but is ultimately betrayed to the police by the wailing of woman’s hated feline pet; and finally, while on his death bed, a wealthy man (Vincent Price) asks a hypnotist to put him into a deep sleep in order to cheat death, but the experiment inadvertently traps the man’s soul inside his decaying corpse, preventing it from finding peace in The Case of M. Valdemar.
October 20
23. Turistas (2006) First Viewing! - A group of young European and American travelers get stranded in the rural Brazilian countryside, are drugged and robbed by the locals, and soon find themselves the captive patients of a doctor running an illegal organ transplant operation in this effective hair-raiser.
October 21
24. The Walking Dead (1936) First Viewing! - A scientist resurrects a falsely-convicted man (Boris Karloff) after corrupt state officials frame him for murder and give him the chair in this modern-day retelling of Frankenstein. After being revived, Karloff does his best Frankenstein monster imitation, sans the make-up of course, and the men who framed him soon begin to die in freak accidents. This film was directed by Michael Curtiz, who later helmed Casablanca.
October 22
25. Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1965) First Viewing! - A wealthy spinster (Bette Davis) haunted by the brutal slaying of her lover thirty years before begins having nightmarish visions shortly after her cousin (Olivia De Havilland) moves in to care for her in this intriguing mystery. Joseph Cotton plays the woman’s duplicitous doctor.
October 23
26. Strait-Jacket (1964) First Viewing! - People begin dying violent deaths at the hands of an axe murderer shortly after a woman (Joan Crawford) convicted of similar crimes twenty years before is released from an asylum in this okay horror film. This movie costars Lee Majors and George Kennedy, and features a script by Robert Bloch and was directed by William Castle, who is famous for promoting his films using gimmicks such as vibrating theater seats and hiring actors to scare the audience at showings. The Columbia Pictures logo is also decapitated; and her head lies at her feet. It also has one of the earliest examples of product placement in a film that I can think of - a Pepsi bottle and case of Pepsi are clearly seen on a kitchen counter in one shot. The movie’s star, Joan Crawford, had been married to the chairman of Pepsi Co. and had taken his place on the company's board of directors after his death.
October 24 -~ Double Feature! ~-
27. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) First Viewing! - A handsome young aristocrat (George Sanders) offers his soul in exchange for a wish - that his portrait should age while he remains young in this fine adaptation of the Oscar Wilde novel. The film is shot in black and white but close-ups of Dorian Gray’s grotesque portrait are shown in full color. Angela Lansbury costars.
28. Mr. Sardonicus (1961) First Viewing! - A wealthy baron summons a brilliant surgeon to cure his hideous facial expression, a leering grin caused by the violent shock of seeing his father’s corpse after he exhumed the man to find a valuable bauble that was mistakenly buried with him. This William Castle film was shot with two endings, and theater audiences could vote to see which one they preferred - the happy one or the one where the villain gets his just desserts. According to Castle, audiences overwhelmingly chose to see the baron punished for his vile deeds, so that is the ending included with the film.

OC47150
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Oct. 14 -- The Human Monster (1939). First viewing. Bela Lugosi in a non-monster role . He's a crooked insurance man who's killing people and collecting their policies.

Oct. 15 -- The Land that Time Forgot (1975). First viewing. A World War 1 U-boat crew and survivors from a ship it sinks travel to a mysterious island in the South Atlantic that's inhabited by dinosaurs.

Oct. 16 -- War of the Worlds (1953). First viewing. The original and far superior version to the Tom Cruise one. Martians attack the world!!

Oct. 17 -- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1955). First viewing. A mysterious alien race is trying to take over the population of Santa Mira, CA., but Kevin McCarthy is on to them. Another great classic. I've always thought of McCarthy's character as the horniest sci-fi hero/antagonist in movie history. Always trying to make a move on Dana Wynter.

Oct. 18 -- District 9 (2009). First viewing. Saw this one at the theatre. I have to say, it's one of the more original sci-fi movies I'd seen in a while, and it quite wasn't what I expected. It's worth a view.

Oct. 21-- Durwich Horror (2009). First viewing.

Phantom From Space. (1953). First viewing. A crashed alien causes havoc during one night in LA. This movie is ripe to be remade.

Oct. 22 -- Fraility (2000). First viewing. A man confesses to an FBI agent that his family is involved in the God's Hands murder. Nice twist at the end. Matthew MaCounghey makes a great creepy character.

Wasp Woman. First viewing. An advertising executive learns of a secret formula that can turn back the age clock. But it comes with a cost.

Land of the Lost. (2009) First viewing. I saw this movie at the theatre and again on home video. It grew on me and I actually found it funnier.

Oct. 23. The Day the Earth Stood Still. (1951). First viewing. A visitor from space brings a message. So much better than the Keanu Reeves version.

Oct. 24. Forbidden Planet. (1956) First viewing. A space exploration crew lands on a planet to learn the fate of a previous expedition. Another great sci-fi classic from the 50s. And Leslie Nielson in a serious roll!!

Oct. 25. Ghost Town. (2009) First viewing. College students are trapped in a western ghost town that's inhabited by satanic-following cowboys. Hey, it was on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Oct. 26. Slither (2005) First viewing. Space slugs take over a small Midwestern town. It pays homage to the 50s sci-fi movies.

Halloween (1978). First viewing. A young boy guilty of murdering his sister comes back 15 years later. The granddaddy of horror movies. Love this movie. I noticed some bloopers I hadn't noticed before. The movie Tommy and Lindsay are watching switches from the Thing to Forbidden Planet. And Bob's van has the classic blue with orange letter Cali license when the movie is supposedly set in Illinois.

Halloween 2 (1981). First viewing. The Night He Came Home continues.

UKWildcat
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th

October 21st

October 23rd
9. I am Legend (2007) - Good film, gets better with each additional viewing I believe.
10. The Last House on the Left (2009) - First Time Viewing - Having never seen the original (which is definitely on my list now) I didn't know too much about the movie going in. But I must say, I really liked it! Great movie!

October 26th
11. The Fog (1980) - Love this one!

Darth Jax
10-28-2009, 12:17 AM
3. Angel Heart (1987) mystery/noir horror flick. only seen it once before, my memory was of a much more graphic film. similar yet different to jacob's ladder.

October 27
4. Zombieland (2009) good horror comedy about, you guessed it, zombies. gotta stay through the credits or you miss additional murray.

UKWildcat
10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th

October 21st

October 23rd

October 26th

October 28th
12. Child's Play (1988) - First viewing in what seems like forever.

Darth Jax
10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
4. Zombieland (2009) good horror comedy about, you guessed it, zombies. gotta stay through the credits or you miss additional murray.

October 29
5. Scream (1996) revitalized the horror genre and introduced the concept that teen tv stars could/should be the lead

2-1B
10-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Take this quiz:

http://www.tvguide.com/PhotoGallery/Know-Classic-Horror-34663/1.aspx

I got 9 Right and 2 Wrong.

UKWildcat
10-31-2009, 12:44 AM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th

October 21st

October 23rd

October 26th

October 28th

October 30th
13. Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) - First Time Viewing - What one would expect.... pretty bad...

2-1B
10-31-2009, 03:24 AM
01) The Devil's Rejects (2005)
02) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
03) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master (1988)
04) Dawn of the Dead (2004)
05) Freddy Vs. Jason (2003)
06) Zombie Strippers (2008) - FIRST VIEWING
07) 2001 Maniacs! (2006) - FIRST VIEWING
08) Saw V (2008)
09) Shaun of the Dead (2004)
10) Queen of the Damned (2002)
11) The Exorcist III (1990)
12) Saw VI (2009) - FIRST VIEWING

October 31st
13) The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (1973/2000)
One of the all time greats, this movie bored me as a kid but it's one of my favorites as an adult. I was in college when the special edition made it's theatrical run and I got hooked. Karras and Kinderman make this a great movie, along with Merrin of course. All the Pazuzu stuff aside, the performances from those 3 are especially good. :yes:

Ji'dai
10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
October 15
October 16
October 18
21. TerrorVision (1986) First Viewing! - A hideous space mutant is inadvertently beamed to Earth, where it rematerializes in the suburban home of a stereotypical 80ís family and soon wreaks havoc with its insatiable appetite for human flesh in this awful satire.
22. Tales of Terror (1962) First Viewing! - This trilogy of terror was directed by Roger Corman and scripted by Richard Matheson, who adapted the screenplay from the Edgar Allen Poe short stories: a woman returns to the decaying family mansion of her youth to find that her morose father (Vincent Price) has never buried the corpse of her mother after the womanís unexpected death at a party many years before in Morella; and In The Black Cat, a rotund drunkard (Peter Lorre) entombs his beautiful wife and her lover (Vincent Price) behind a wall in the cellar but is ultimately betrayed to the police by the wailing of womanís hated feline pet; and finally, while on his death bed, a wealthy man (Vincent Price) asks a hypnotist to put him into a deep sleep in order to cheat death, but the experiment inadvertently traps the manís soul inside his decaying corpse, preventing it from finding peace in The Case of M. Valdemar.
October 20
October 21
24. The Walking Dead (1936) First Viewing! - A scientist resurrects a falsely-convicted man (Boris Karloff) after corrupt state officials frame him for murder and give him the chair in this modern-day retelling of Frankenstein. After being revived, Karloff does his best Frankenstein monster imitation, sans the make-up of course, and the men who framed him soon begin to die in freak accidents. This film was directed by Michael Curtiz, who later helmed Casablanca.
October 22
25. Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1965) First Viewing! - A wealthy spinster (Bette Davis) haunted by the brutal slaying of her lover thirty years before begins having nightmarish visions shortly after her cousin (Olivia De Havilland) moves in to care for her in this intriguing mystery. Joseph Cotton plays the womanís duplicitous doctor.
October 23
26. Strait-Jacket (1964) First Viewing! - People begin dying violent deaths at the hands of an axe murderer shortly after a woman (Joan Crawford) convicted of similar crimes twenty years before is released from an asylum in this okay horror film. This movie costars Lee Majors and George Kennedy, and features a script by Robert Bloch and was directed by William Castle, who is famous for promoting his films using gimmicks such as vibrating theater seats and hiring actors to scare the audience at showings. The Columbia Pictures logo is also decapitated; and her head lies at her feet. It also has one of the earliest examples of product placement in a film that I can think of - a Pepsi bottle and case of Pepsi are clearly seen on a kitchen counter in one shot. The movieís star, Joan Crawford, had been married to the chairman of Pepsi Co. and had taken his place on the company's board of directors after his death.
27. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) First Viewing! - A handsome young aristocrat (George Sanders) offers his soul in exchange for a wish - that his portrait should age while he remains young in this fine adaptation of the Oscar Wilde novel. The film is shot in black and white but close-ups of Dorian Grayís grotesque portrait are shown in full color. Angela Lansbury costars.
28. Mr. Sardonicus (1961) First Viewing! - A wealthy baron summons a brilliant surgeon to cure his hideous facial expression, a leering grin caused by the violent shock of seeing his fatherís corpse after he exhumed the man to find a valuable bauble that was mistakenly buried with him. This William Castle film was shot with two endings, and theater audiences could vote to see which one they preferred - the happy one or the one where the villain gets his just desserts. According to Castle, audiences overwhelmingly chose to see the baron punished for his vile deeds, so that is the ending included with the film.
October 26
29. The Corpse Vanishes (1942) First Viewing! - A feisty newswoman discovers that a scientist (Bela Lugosi) is responsible for abducting the bodies of new brides and using their blood to keep his septuagenarian wife looking young.
October 27
30. Vampyr: Der Traum des Allan Gray (1932) First Viewing! - A young adventurer finds himself among strange folk and a nosferatu in this visually-impressive but convoluted narrative.
October 28
31. Bedlam (1946) First Viewing! - A young actress engaged in muckraking and encouraging reform for the institutionalized is falsely tried and committed to an insane asylum run by a corrupt and brutal administrator (Boris Karloff).
October 29
32. The Tingler (1959) First Viewing! - A scientist (Vincent Price) discovers that a slimy creeping organism found along peopleís spinal columns feeds off fear in this William Castle movie. For showings of this film, Castle rigged theater seats with electric buzzers; and audience members would feel ďthe tinglerĒ during the scenes in the film when the creature is loose in a movie theater.
October 30
33. The Power (1968) First Viewing! - A scientist (George Hamilton) and his colleague (Suzanne Pleshette) find themselves the target of a fellow scientist (Michael Rennie - Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still) when their research group discovers that the man has super-human telepathic abilities in this banal chiller.

Darth Jax
10-31-2009, 05:31 PM
5. Scream (1996) revitalized the horror genre and introduced the concept that teen tv stars could/should be the lead

October 31
6. Hellraiser (1987) the cenobite costuming still looks good, but the effects/wardrobe/make-up are getting really dated.

2-1B
11-01-2009, 02:23 AM
01) The Devil's Rejects (2005)
02) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
03) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master (1988)
04) Dawn of the Dead (2004)
05) Freddy Vs. Jason (2003)
06) Zombie Strippers (2008) - FIRST VIEWING
07) 2001 Maniacs! (2006) - FIRST VIEWING
08) Saw V (2008)
09) Shaun of the Dead (2004)
10) Queen of the Damned (2002)
11) The Exorcist III (1990)
12) Saw VI (2009) - FIRST VIEWING
13) The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (1973/2000)
October 31st
14) Zombieland (2009) - FIRST VIEWING
Well this was entirely awesome. With the exception of Shaun of the Dead, this has to be my favorite non-Romero zombie movie. I thought it was fantastic!
15) Night of the Living Dead (1968)
This is a rare viewing for me because while I recognize the significance of this movie, I don't find it rewatchable in the ways I do with Dawn, Day, and Land. Still a classic but tough to sit through.

Ji'dai
11-01-2009, 06:35 PM
October 2
October 3
October 4
October 6
October 9
October 10
October 11
October 12
October 14
October 15
October 16
October 18
October 20
October 21
October 22
25. Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1965) First Viewing! - A wealthy spinster (Bette Davis) haunted by the brutal slaying of her lover thirty years before begins having nightmarish visions shortly after her cousin (Olivia De Havilland) moves in to care for her in this intriguing mystery. Joseph Cotton plays the woman’s duplicitous doctor.
October 23
26. Strait-Jacket (1964) First Viewing! - People begin dying violent deaths at the hands of an axe murderer shortly after a woman (Joan Crawford) convicted of similar crimes twenty years before is released from an asylum in this okay horror film. This movie costars Lee Majors and George Kennedy, and features a script by Robert Bloch and was directed by William Castle, who is famous for promoting his films using gimmicks such as vibrating theater seats and hiring actors to scare the audience at showings. The Columbia Pictures logo is also decapitated; and her head lies at her feet. It also has one of the earliest examples of product placement in a film that I can think of - a Pepsi bottle and case of Pepsi are clearly seen on a kitchen counter in one shot. The movie’s star, Joan Crawford, had been married to the chairman of Pepsi Co. and had taken his place on the company's board of directors after his death.
27. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) First Viewing! - A handsome young aristocrat (George Sanders) offers his soul in exchange for a wish - that his portrait should age while he remains young in this fine adaptation of the Oscar Wilde novel. The film is shot in black and white but close-ups of Dorian Gray’s grotesque portrait are shown in full color. Angela Lansbury costars.
28. Mr. Sardonicus (1961) First Viewing! - A wealthy baron summons a brilliant surgeon to cure his hideous facial expression, a leering grin caused by the violent shock of seeing his father’s corpse after he exhumed the man to find a valuable bauble that was mistakenly buried with him. This William Castle film was shot with two endings, and theater audiences could vote to see which one they preferred - the happy one or the one where the villain gets his just desserts. According to Castle, audiences overwhelmingly chose to see the baron punished for his vile deeds, so that is the ending included with the film.
October 26
29. The Corpse Vanishes (1942) First Viewing! - A feisty newswoman discovers that a scientist (Bela Lugosi) is responsible for abducting the bodies of new brides and using their blood to keep his septuagenarian wife looking young.
October 27
30. Vampyr: Der Traum des Allan Gray (1932) First Viewing! - A young adventurer finds himself among strange folk and a nosferatu in this visually-impressive but convoluted narrative.
October 28
31. Bedlam (1946) First Viewing! - A young actress engaged in muckraking and encouraging reform for the institutionalized is falsely tried and committed to an insane asylum run by a corrupt and brutal administrator (Boris Karloff).
October 29
32. The Tingler (1959) First Viewing! - A scientist (Vincent Price) discovers that a slimy creeping organism found along people’s spinal columns feeds off fear in this William Castle movie. For showings of this film, Castle rigged theater seats with electric buzzers; and audience members would feel “the tingler” during the scenes in the film when the creature is loose in a movie theater.
October 30
33. The Power (1968) First Viewing! - A scientist (George Hamilton) and his colleague (Suzanne Pleshette) find themselves the target of a fellow scientist (Michael Rennie - Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still) when their research group discovers that the man has super-human telepathic abilities in this banal chiller.
October 31
34. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) First Viewing! - A horribly disfigured scientist (Vincent Price) employs the ten Biblical plagues to murder the physicians he holds responsible for the death of his beloved wife on the operating table in this campy thriller.

DarkArtist
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I failed miserably this year, been so busy had very little time to watch any Halloween or scary movies..... didn't even get a chance to watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

was able to catch a marathon of scary movies on Halloween in between answering the door for the 100+ kids that came around..

caught:

Halloween
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5 : The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween 6 : The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H2O
Halloween : Resurrection
Scream 3
Night of the Living Dead (only got to see bits and pieces but taped it)
The Evil of Frankenstein : hosted by Elvira
Garfield's Haunted Halloween

OC47150
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Oct. 27. Godzilla (1953). First viewing The original!

Plan 9 from Outer Space. First viewing. I missed the opportunity to see this on the big screen twice in the last couple of months. I popped the old VHS copy in and watched it.

Oct. 28 Dog Soldiers (2002). First viewing. A group of British soldiers on manuevers in the Scottish highlands encounter something that wasn't in the operations orders. One of the smartest werewolf movies I've seen in a very long time. It's directed by Neil Marshall, who's also done the Descent.

Oct. 29. Double feature!
The Mummy (1932 and 1959). First viewing. An ancient Egyptian burial tomb is unearthed and the occupant seeks revenge on those who awoke him. Karloff is great at Imhotep. And two SW alums are in the '59 version: Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Oct. 30. Bride of Frankenstein (1935) First viewing. Henry Frankenstein helps Dr. Pretorius create a bride for Frankenstein's monster. The cast of the original Frankenstein are brought back for this sequel.

Son of Frankenstein (1939). First viewing. Frankenstein's son returns to the family homestead and learns the dark secrets of his family...and the Monster. Basil Rathbone is Frankenstein, Jr.

Stir of Echoes (1999). First viewing. An ordinary guy is placed under hypnosis and has strange visions afterword. A good psychological thriller starring Kevin Bacon.

Tremors (1989). First viewing. Earthbound creatures terrorize the residents of a small Nevada town. One of my favorite sci-fi movies. Pays homage to the great 50s monster movies.

Oct. 31. Ghost of Frankenstein. (1942) First viewing. The Frankenstein saga continues with another son getting involved in the family business.

Maximum Overdrive. (1986) First viewing. The earth passes through the tail of a comet and machines -- big and small -- go into maximum overdrive and start killing people. A guilty pleasure movie.

I had fun participating in this project. Looking at my shelves, there were still several movies I hadn't even got to. I might have to watch one or two more in the coming days, but boy, I need a good action, shoot 'em up movie! lol

Darth Jax
11-01-2009, 08:39 PM
6. Hellraiser (1987) the cenobite costuming still looks good, but the effects/wardrobe/make-up are getting really dated.

Nov. 1
7. Saw VI (2009) seems like they're really reaching now to torture people and relate it to jigsaw. they could've wrapped the series up with this one, but aren't quite done making money from it yet.

OC47150
11-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Saw VI (2009) seems like they're really reaching now to torture people and relate it to jigsaw. they could've wrapped the series up with this one, but aren't quite done making money from it yet.

Just one more in the works, from what I've read, Jax.

2-1B
11-02-2009, 06:33 PM
I heard 7 or 8.

I'm hoping for 8. :)

But after the horrible opening weekend, I think 7's more likely. :(

DarkArtist
11-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I failed miserably this year, been so busy had very little time to watch any Halloween or scary movies..... didn't even get a chance to watch It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

was able to catch a marathon of scary movies on Halloween in between answering the door for the 100+ kids that came around..

caught:

Halloween
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5 : The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween 6 : The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H2O
Halloween : Resurrection
Scream 3
Night of the Living Dead (only got to see bits and pieces but taped it)
The Evil of Frankenstein : hosted by Elvira
Garfield's Haunted Halloween

forgot to mention that I caught the first 3 Saw movies on the 21st.

UKWildcat
11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
October 1st

October 2nd

October 15th

October 16th

October 19th

October 20th

October 21st

October 23rd

October 26th

October 28th

October 30th
13. Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) - First Time Viewing - What one would expect.... pretty bad...

October 31st
14. Carrie (1976) - First Time Viewing - Sure as hell seemed like a first time viewing, not sure if I have seen this one all the way through before. Either way, good stuff!
15. Halloween (1978) - No comment needed. ;)

UKWildcat
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I was really wanting to average one a day, but I just did not have the time. And with all the new TV shows/episodes on, that made it even more difficult. I still think I did alright with 15, since I started out so rough, but I would have really liked to have watched more. Oh well, maybe next year. :p

I am getting ready for the Holiday movie/tv show challenge though. I can usually do much better in that one, since most of the shows on TV are re-runs and etc. See ya guys there!

DarthQuack
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm also looking forward to the holiday challenge. Really looking forward to this one since I missed out on the horror challenge.

Ji'dai
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I was able to view 34 movies this year and challenged myself to watch ones I'd never seen before. Fortunately with great cable channels like Turner Classic Movies I was able to do that. I watched films from every decade this year 1900-2009 except for 1910-1919. I don't watch television shows aside from Simpsons, Family Guy, and Deadwood so I have time to watch movies.

I don't care for christmas movies so I'll probably pass on the holiday challenge again this year.

UKWildcat
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I watched films from every decade this year 1900-2009 except for 1910-1919.

That is just awesome Ji'dai! Well done!

I don't care for christmas movies so I'll probably pass on the holiday challenge again this year.

Remember, with the holiday challenge, TV shows count too. I usually find myself watching more episodes, than movies. Don't have to devote as much time to it, and you can rack up the #s quicker, LOL. But I know Simpsons and Family guy have some Christmas/Thanksgiving eps. You should really try and participate Ji'dai, we'd love to have you (and your wonderful write-ups!). Please think about it. :yes:

Darth Jax
11-07-2009, 06:59 PM
didn't watch it in time to qualify for this years contest, but just got done watching Tokyo Gore Police. it makes Zombie Strippers look Oscar-worthy.

it's an import from japan which could explain the fetishism, but even that goes over-the-top at times. any film that has acidic lactation though has to be watched to be believed.

2-1B
11-08-2009, 12:32 AM
no bukake ?

Darth Jax
11-08-2009, 10:19 AM
nope, but a leaf urinates on a crowd of people

2-1B
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
a Toronto Maple Leaf ? lol