PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Star Wars video game ever

elvandrik
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I play alot of star wars video games so Im interested in hearing what fellow collectors think.

The best:
X-wing alliance

The worst:
Star Wars: Demolition (This game was a very weak attempt to make Star Wars version of Twisted Metal. It sucked badly,)

Dishonorable mention:
STar Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (A star wars fighting game)
Jedi Power battles (Can you say GLITCHY?)

Mad Slanted Powers
09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I play alot of star wars video games so Im interested in hearing what fellow collectors think.

The best:
X-wing alliance

The worst:
Star Wars: Demolition (This game was a very weak attempt to make Star Wars version of Twisted Metal. It sucked badly,)

Dishonorable mention:
STar Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (A star wars fighting game)
Jedi Power battles (Can you say GLITCHY?)

I can agree with you to at least some degree on the bad ones you mentioned. I have Demolition, but never played much of it. Teras Kasi didn't have the best response, but I didn't hate it that much. I wouldn't know how glitchy Jedi Power Battles was as I didn't get very far. I think it once again suffered from slow response on some things, as I found myself falling to my doom in one of the early levels while trying to jump across a larger gap.

I never played X-Wing Alliance, but I did enjoy the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, so I imagine Alliance would be pretty good as well.

Dark Forces and Knights of the Old Republic (I, not II) were two of my favorites. The Phantom Menace game would have been one of my favorites if not for the camera angle and some poor response.

El Chuxter
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Demolition and Teras Kasi weren't, I thought, that bad. Neither was great, and both were so clumsily thrown into the timeline that it was laughable, but they were entertaining. Maybe I didn't hate Demolition because I've never played Twisted Metal, though.

There've been some really bad games. I really wanted to like Rebellion, but it was confusing and slow. Force Commander, I understand, was an attempt to rectify what was wrong with Rebellion, and failed, but I've never played it. But worst overall, methinks, had to be Jedi Arena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Arena). Bask in its sucktitude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voCy0QtsYPc)! (But be warned: as bad as the commercial is, it actually makes the game look cooler than it is.)

Best? There've been many good ones. The original Star Wars coin-op is classic, and the update Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, is a fine game, too. Battlefront, The (original) Clone Wars, the first two installments of the Rogue Squadron series, Racer, the old Atari 2600 Empire Strikes Back, and all the Lego games are very, very strong contenders.

But I think the unchallenged winner has to be Haunted House Candy Hunt (http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/starween/default.php).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2009, 01:39 AM
I absolutely loved Jedi Power Battles when it first came out. It was just fun as hell to play as the Jedi. Demolition was pretty fun too, for what it was.

My favorite would probably have to be Battlefront 2, with an honorable mention to The Force Unleashed and either of the LEGO games. I've just gotten so much replay out of BF2, it's endlessly fun. So are the others, but BF2 is just great.

I've never hated a SW game, so I don't know what the worst would be. Maybe that goofy Super Bombad Racing, just since it seems so strange, but I haven't played it.

Lord Malakite
09-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Top of the list for me would be TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Battle for Naboo, Rebel Strike, and Shadows of the Empire. And of course the classic of all SW classics... Haunted House Candy Hunt. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Best: TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, SuperNES Super ESB, N64 Pod Racer.
Best Educational Game: Droid Works
Best Knock offs: Dark Forces (Doom with a 3D aspect..you actually had to jump and account for elevation)

Worst: X-Wing (goals were confusing, difficulty absurd), SNES Super Star Wars (the lack of save/password feature hurt)

sonofsokol
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
My top picks would be (in no particular order)...
Knights of the Old Republic - cool story line and characters and great replay-ability.
Lego Star Wars I and II - another with great replay-ability with the challenges and everything
Galactic Battlegrounds - I love Age of Empires and this was a fun twist. The campaigns are fun and there is little more that I enjoy more than making an army of AT-ATs and wiping out the Wookies.
The Force Unleashed - speaking of wiping out Wookies, great story too. I am ticked that the new ones coming out are not on Wii.:mad::cry:
Jedi Training Acadamy - I just love slicing up people with my lightsaber.

It has been so long since I played any of the older games, but I used to playethe Atari 2600 Empire Strikes Back and remember loving it too.

Worst - The Clone Wars Lght Saber Duels for Wii. It got really old really quick :tired: and did not live up to my desires at all... maybe with Wii motion plus they could make it better, who knows.

Rocketboy
09-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Shadows of the Empire, Battlefront 2, Star Wars Lego 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron, Battle For Naboo & the Super Star Wars trilogy (Super NES) were all really good.
Bounty Hunter was pretty good. Jedi power battles was a fun throwback, and Teras Kasi was wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Episode I Racer was good, but tough.

Star Wars for NES and Empire Strikes back for Atari was pretty terrible - both were really hard and frustrating!

I've heard Obi-Wan was especially bad.

pbarnard
09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I forgot to add Complete Saga for Wii. While not true 1 to 1, you can use the lightsaber as Jedi characters.

mabudonicus
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
One that hasn't been mentioned that I thought was pretty fun if a bit goofy was Jedi Starfighter on PS2. Fairly straightforward and almost could have been pulled off on the PS1, but it's an easy game to get into and the force powers (while being pretty ridiculous) are real fun to use (plus they aren't just fire-and-forget, you have to time the length of the charge-up just so in order to get the max effect, and when you do really pull it off it's effective)

The "story" is fairly poor but the flight mechanics are pretty good- I like to think of it as the way the flying sequences in BF2 could have been- splicing this game into BF2 for the ship-based bits would make a really solid game
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Kinda got a hankerin for a few missions now dammit \m/

Ando
09-21-2009, 11:56 AM
My favorites:

- Shadows of the Empire. I just got my N64 back from a friend who's had it for YEARS just so I could replay the Bob Fett level. AGAIN.

- LEGO Star Wars. This is REALLY fun after a 6 pack of Corona.

- Republic Commando. Intense, gritty, and fun FPS.

- Rogue Squadron (N64). Lots of ships to fly, challenging missions without being unbeatable.

- Galactic Battlegrounds. I too loved the RTS Age of Empires/Age of Kings games so building bases and armies was lots of fun in the SW universe.

El Chuxter
09-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm going to guess no one else played Jedi Arena on the Atari, or there'd be more "worst" votes for it. Really, you don't even control anything. You both swing your lightsabers and try to block lasers, as if the computer is playing Super Breakout against you.

autumnsdescent
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Favorites: KOTOR I, Battlefront 2, Force Unleashed, Republic Commando, and the Original Star Wars Arcade Game

I bought 'em, I played 'em, but not that memorable: KOTOR II, X-Wing, Rebel Assault, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces series, all NES and SNES SW games.

Worst: For me, it was the lego games. Bored me to tears. But that's just me. I also never played Galaxies because of the monthly fee. I play video games about 8 hours total in a month's time. Couldn't justify the expense.

I missed out on the N64. Wanted to play Bounty Hunter and Shadows of the Empire really bad. Perhaps someday, when I have time and cash to waste, I'll find those cheap.

I'm a little nervous about the new Knights of the Old Republic game. I haven't done my homework on it yet but I've heard it will require a monthly subscription as well. If that's the case, I'll pass on it.

RoonStones
09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Classic Best/Worst:

Best - The Star Wars Arcade Game. I probably spent about $75,000 in quarters playing that

Worst - Have to agree with El Chuxter. Jedi Arena was almost like glorified Pong.

Now:

Best - TIE Fighter, and I seriously doubt LucasArts will ever release a game better than that. Probably one of the best video games ever (too bad Windows XP can't play the version with the awesome music.)

Worst - Probably Force Commander for a number of reasons.

1. They tried to make it an Age of Empires without the civ building, but they seemed more interested in cool looking camera angles than anything else.

2. The whole "good Imperial defecting to the Rebellion" seemed contrived. One of the things that made TIE Fighter so cool was that the further the game progressed, the deeper you got in the Empire.

3. The very reason for the release of Star Wars: Empire at War was to redo Force Commander.

pbarnard
09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
3. The very reason for the release of Star Wars: Empire at War was to redo Force Commander.

I thought Star Wars Empire at War was the supposed fix of both FoCom and Rebellion. It was better, but sometimes it felt too focused on resource building.

sonofsokol
09-21-2009, 02:34 PM
- Republic Commando. Intense, gritty, and fun FPS.

I forgot about Republic Commando, I love when you get geonosian guts all over your visor. It seemed to take the blood and guts to a level that not a lot of other star wars games do.

I was out of the video game scene for a while... I got a Playstation, but that was the last console until the Wii. I have a lot to catch up on. I'm excited to hear about some of these games and get recommendations...great thread.

IG 8D8
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Empire Strikes Back - snes (fighting Vader, bounty hunters, etc.)
Super return of the jedi - snes
Rogue Squadron - snes
Revenge of the Sith - ps2 (slicing through battle droids is fun, plus taking on dooku w/ a friend)
Ep. 1 Racer - n64
Clone Wars - PS2 (great large scale ground battles plus the training mode where you must survive wave after wave of droid attacks)

I like Battlefront 2 but it sucks having to run long distances to get back to the battle then die within 10 seconds... anyone know what I mean? how do you stay in the action longer?

I want to get Force Unleashed and SW Bounty Hunter.

Rocketboy
09-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I like Battlefront 2 but it sucks having to run long distances to get back to the battle then die within 10 seconds... anyone know what I mean? how do you stay in the action longer?I try not to die as much.

*rimshot*

Ando
09-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Empire Strikes Back - snes (fighting Vader, bounty hunters, etc.)
Super return of the jedi - snes
Rogue Squadron - snes
Revenge of the Sith - ps2 (slicing through battle droids is fun, plus taking on dooku w/ a friend)
Ep. 1 Racer - n64
Clone Wars - PS2 (great large scale ground battles plus the training mode where you must survive wave after wave of droid attacks)

I like Battlefront 2 but it sucks having to run long distances to get back to the battle then die within 10 seconds... anyone know what I mean? how do you stay in the action longer?

I want to get Force Unleashed and SW Bounty Hunter.

I forgot about Battlefront I and Battlefront II! Those were lots of fun on X Box when you linked up with a friend and a second TV!

I also enjoyed the ROTS game and Clone Wars was pretty fun, too.

Darth Metalmute
09-22-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm going to guess no one else played Jedi Arena on the Atari, or there'd be more "worst" votes for it. Really, you don't even control anything. You both swing your lightsabers and try to block lasers, as if the computer is playing Super Breakout against you.

Never played Arena, but ESB for the Atari was awesome. I still play that today.

Best game: Rogue Squdren series, Battleground series

Worst game: Lightsaber duels, Force Commander

JediTricks
09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Jedi Arena is easily the worst SW game out there. It's like Pong but with less action. El mucho sucko.

I can't think of a lot of "worst" Star Wars games only because I'm discerning enough not to buy bad SW games. I also missed out on some PC games like X-wing and KOTOR because my computer wasn't up to the task, so I can't judge them at all.

My list of best SW games is as follows:

Battlefront
Battlefront II (they're different enough to matter)
Lego SW (all 3 I guess, since I own the PS2 first and second, and complete saga on the PS3)
Dark Forces (Doom meets SW!)
DF2 Jedi Knight (the first real game to make you a Jedi, and it had awesome cut-scene acting!)
Shadows of the Empire (I bought an N64 for this game, and wasn't disappointed)
Rogue Squadron (I didn't play the sequels, and this game is flawed, but it is a blast too)
SW Arcade (especially the actual arcade version, but the Sega 32x version had charm too)
SW TFU (it really feels like what it sets out to be, even if it is too short)

Honorary mentions:

SW Ep 1 Racer (for actually delivering a fairly competent podracing game, but podracing itself isn't SW enough to merit inclusion in the big list.)
Bounty Hunter (being Jango was pretty cool and there was a good deal of action, but gameplay got a little too repetitive to fully deliver a "great" SW game.)

In SW Battlefront, for online play there is virtually no way not to get killed very often unless you're mega-good. At one point I was in the top 10 on the server I was on and still generally died every 2 minutes. Practice on single-player, but don't get cocky, the AI is pretty stupid in single player and it's really only good for sharpening aiming and movement skills, not for dealing with multiplayer behavior.

The key to surviving as long as possible in online play is to master your character, become adept at running away and healing, being unpredictable, and don't bother playing as a grunt-class as the regular blaster rifle isn't powerful enough to keep your enemy at bay while you mow them AND their buddies down, it's ok for low-player-count combat but a fuller room means more people shooting at you, most with single-shot-kill weapons that you'll never, ever have.
- If you're a heavy trooper class, learn to lay well-hidden mines and to shoot rockets either very accurately or at the enemy's feet.
- If you're a sniper, just be damned good at shooting from a distance and getting headshots by having a fast internet connection or you'll eat it hard, and your turret is barely useful beyond a proximity detector so don't depend on it.
- The best regular class to be is the Engineer, the shotgun is powerful, you're carrying healthpacks to give yourself, and the detpack can be thrown in a parabolic arc and detonated in mid-air which makes it far more formidable than it deserves. They can walk over mines without triggering them, and their fusion cutter can clear mines for friendly forces which can be vital.

Some tactics that help all classes include finding good spots to hide from enemy fire, running against certain types of walls and then jumping to get you to high points that the enemy might not check immediately, and to try to isolate players before attempting kills. Spectating better players can give you a lot of tips, especially with dealing with spawncampers and cheap specials. Try adjusting the controller sensitivities, but don't go crazy with it, especially Y-axis (up & down).

Dealing with those cheap Special classes:
- dealing with a Droideka is easy if you're a heavy trooper, just run up and mine it, its damage won't likely kill you with that much armor and you'll have him dead to rights as he cannot run away fast enough. Alternately, a missile can be powerful tool here as well, even against their shields. Snipers are less effective but can be useful against their shields. Engineers can detpack a droideka pretty well, it may take 2 detpacks and a shotgun blast in close timing to kill them with their shields up though. Running away in odd angles is a good way to deal with the droideka if you can't get a quick kill, they can't move and fire except very slowly. Watch for wheel mode, it can run you over knocking you to the ground temporarily.
- dealing with a Magnaguard is very tough if they've mastered the mortar launcher, that parabolic-arc weapon can be a single-shot-kill in the right hands. Also, they carry neuropoison so you have to stay out of close range or you're toast. And they carry the recon droid which has self-destruct to wipe you out without you seeing the little probe, but this means they have to hang out near ammo droids so try to take down or at least hunt near those droids if you have a lot of remote attacks.
- dealing with a Clone Commander is fairly easy, their weapons all suck for the most part, except the recon droid, so they're stuck near ammo droids.
- dealing with a Jet Trooper is a real pain in the butt, anything up in the sky is because it's very difficult to aim or even bother to look upwards. Jetties can be taken down best by good snipers and engineers who can get close enough to have the shotgun hit. Jetties don't carry much ammo so they'll try to find far away ammo droids, take down their source of ammo or hunt near them. Look for jetties to find the cheapest places above you, but don't let them know you are looking at them until you're ready to pull the trigger.
- dealing with the Imp Officer is like the Clone Commander, they're fairly useless, unless your opponent using the Imp is adept at the mortar launcher, then it's key to move around in and out of the mortar's long range, keep them on their toes.
- dealing with the Wookiee is a toughy, they have tons of armor and tons of decent weapons. If your Wookiee enemy is a reconner, stay near the ammo droids, or better yet, use stealth so that when they're reconning and don't know you're near, they can't move so you can blast them in the head or lay a mine. Alternately, go for a lot of headshots, they don't move very fast, but expect strong resistance. Even the heavy trooper class requires multiple rockets to kill.

Finally, dealing with the 2 cheapest, most difficult to deal with classes:
- dealing with Bothan Spys is really rough for most classes, your best bet is the heavy trooper which can take a face full of their weapon and then return fire. Mines are your best friend while they are around, especially if you turn off the music so you can hear their footsteps, being unpredictable and expecting them to be behind you and off to the sides can kill their annoying behinds. Once they fire, they can stay invisible for another second but then have to go visible and switch off their weapon to go invisible again (while their weapon is recharging, they cannot remain invisible). They also can't move fast without taxing energy to stay invisible, so getting away from the scene can be vital. It can also help to look for them while you are spectating waiting to come back in, you can see their names through your comrades' eyes. If you're taking a base and it won't turn, try blasting hiding spots, Bothans are cowards who can't move very fast, so they stick to limited types of behavior.

- dealing with Darktroopers is a nightmare. They move incredibly fast, their weapon is horribly overpowered and requires little aiming and can fire and fire again very quickly up to 5 times, their airborne behavior is difficult to predict and virtually impossible to hit. Their weak armor isn't helpful since you just cannot hit them most of the time. If you're a sniper, get far away and be excellent, then move because they will hunt you down once you get a kill on them. If you're an engineer, be vigilant and ever-ready to toss a detpack AND fire your shotgun at the same time. If you're a heavy class, wait for them to come to you and if they suck they'll land on some well-placed mines, if not you'll need to be exceptionally accurate with your rockets, to hit them AS they land. If you're foolish enough to be a grunt, just pepper them in short bursts over and over. Bottom line, make them pay for being such a cheap bastage to put on that darktrooper costume and ruin your game, make it a goal to hurt them, to make them regret flying into your base, even if you die a lot - because no matter what, you WILL die a lot from them.

DarthQuack
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Shadows was a great favorite of mine from the 64, although I really enjoyed the Rogue Squadrons from the GC as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I enjoyed Rogue Squadron, but I was a bit disappointed with it after having played X-Wing. In X-Wing, your wingmen were actually useful. There were few instances of them actually doing much in Rogue Squadron. I also liked how you had to manage your energy between engines, lasers and shields, and could put all your shield energy to the front or rear or balance them out. I suppose it was a pretty difficult game though. I never actually got around to playing the actual campaign. I spent all my time trying to defeat all the historical missions, but never finished them all.

El Chuxter
09-23-2009, 10:50 PM
IIRC, Rebel Strike makes the wingmen more useful. Rogue Leader was better in the flight levels, but it added the mediocre FPS boards.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
IIRC, Rebel Strike makes the wingmen more useful. Rogue Leader was better in the flight levels, but it added the mediocre FPS boards.

I would like to have played those, but I did not get a Gamecube. I have a Ninentdo 64, Playstation, X-Box and a Mac.

Lord Malakite
09-24-2009, 05:43 AM
I think you may have flipped what you meant to say. Rebel Strike had the "on foot" missions.

preacher
09-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I can't believe you haters! Jedi Arena for the Atari 2600 got tons of play especially in 2 player mode.

Best: Dark Forces
Worst: Bombad racing.

What I would really like to see is a game like Punchout except with Lightsabers. With all the new camera based peripherals for the PS3 and XBOX coming out, and the Wii Motion Plus adapter, a first person lightsaber fighter game seems like a very obvious choice.

JediTricks
09-24-2009, 05:24 PM
IMO, the biggest flaw with the concept of lightsaber-based play, and this applies even to TFU which I think is a fantastic game, is that the lightsaber in the movie is generally a one-hit-kill weapon, so hitting the same guy with a saber over and over makes it seem more like a NERF bat.

I stand by my claim that Jedi Arena sucked.

El Chuxter
09-24-2009, 05:50 PM
You didn't even fight with the lightsaber in Jedi Arena, though. IIRC, all you did was block random laser blasts (and I think you could even tell the seeker when to fire some of them).

WiiSports Resort has a great set of swordfighting games. Not exactly lightsaber combat, but it whets the appetite; I can't wait until LucasArts takes advantage of the WiiMotion Plus add-on.

IG 8D8
09-26-2009, 03:28 PM
thanks for the tips on battlefront J. Tricks. I will have to try it again. I must say I enjoy the one on one lightsaber duel mode in the ROTS game (PS2), you can select your character and who to fight against, then the location. Similar to most fighting games except you are using lightsabers and fighting in star wars locations. I just wish they put yoda in it.

A game focused on duels would work I think, you just need to put in a lightsaber power meter that is customizable, so on medium 3 or 4 hits from a saber will kill, on low power maybe you can take 10-15 hits. If you want it to be "normal" then the meter is at max and one hit would kill, unless you are a jedi then it might take more. So on low the game is arcade like. On normal (high) it is realistic and the challenge for a non jedi/sith would be to keep away from the saber. If you're Boba Fett you can use your jet pack, if you're an average warrior you must jump or duck to avoid getting hit. It's a shorter game on high. But the default could be on medium.

Imagine Maul vs. Yoda, Luke vs. Dooku, Vader vs. Grievous, Han vs. Boba, etc. I would hope for a creature mode too, wampa vs. rancor!

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
They have the duel mode in the Wii version of The Force Unleashed, and the stand-alone ripoff of that same engine in Wii Clone Wars, but it has nothing clever like that going on.