PDA

View Full Version : How about a new Outrider?

adultstarwarsfreak
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I think it is time for one of the coolest ships in the Star Wars universe to be updated. I am not talking about any of the leading ships in the original triligy, but a ship that played a vital role behind the scenes. I am talking about Dash Rendars Outrider. Although it is not as iconic as the Millenium Falcon, it is however a well designed ship that blends into the world of Star Wars. The original toy was a little cool mixed with huge disappointment. I believe to this day there is still demand for that little thing, so I believe collectors would welcome an improved version. I think Hasbro could use the BMF design with some alteration to the mold. I think the Outrider should be about two inches wider than the BMF, still incopperating sounds and lights. The main hull would have removable panels to access the interior as well the entry ramp much like the Falcons. The BMFs interior could be reused with modifications. Take out the Radar Dish and add another computer console that would light up when prompted. Keep the medical bay for emergencies but remove the chess table for more cargo hold. Hasbro could even reuse the little fighter that could be docked in the same location. The upper main cannons would be manned similar to the Falcons, but construct it to where you control the direction of fire by turning the lower cannons. Now to the cockpit. The cockpit should seat two figures, much like the forward seats on the Falcon with a little space behind them. On the rear of the cockpit tube should be a spring loaded escape pod that one figure could be seated in. Now throw in some lights and sounds, and a updated Dash with his trusty droid, and I believe this would be a awesome set. What do you think?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I never got into SOTE, but I have to think that the overall support for this would be small. There's no way they're going to retool the BMF to make an Outrider - do you honestly think that enough people would pay $150 for it? I just wouldn't get my hopes up at all if I were you.

adultstarwarsfreak
09-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I believe Hasbro could do this for 100 dollars

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Sure, they could do a lot of things. But nobody is going to plunk down $100 on a ship from a 13-year-old video game. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I do want to be realistic here.

pbarnard
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Also, a YT-2400 is much smaller than a YT-1300 in terms of space. While the first one did suck, it doesn't justify the suped up reissue. There are other EU ships that have been in more sources over a longer time that would be much higher on the lists, never minding the amount of acutal movie ships. Want to know how bad the YT-2400 sucks? It was only included in X-Wing Alliance in the Bothan missions and never available as a playable ship indvidually. So if the ship geeks at Lucas Arts at the time thought it wasn't any fun to fly and play in to put into a second game, guess what, it wasn't that fun to begin with. JJL, it wasn't just a video game (people should read books before condemning them).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
JJL, it wasn't just a video game (people should read books before condemning them).
Where did I condemn anything, other than an unnecessary $100 vehicle? And I know it had other incarnations, but seeing as how novels aren't a visual format, making a toy from one still seems strange (yeah, yeah, it was in the comic and in the background of ANH and all that stuff).

bigbarada
09-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I would say no to yet another toy based on this second-rate Millennium Falcon.

pbarnard
09-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Where did I condemn anything, other than an unnecessary $100 vehicle? And I know it had other incarnations, but seeing as how novels aren't a visual format, making a toy from one still seems strange (yeah, yeah, it was in the comic and in the background of ANH and all that stuff).

Sorry, that wasn't at you, but a general % of people here who say things about things they haven't read, judge by cover etc. :yes:

mtriv73
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
We're finally getting the titanium version and that's enough for me. There's no way I'd buy it again in the 3-3/4 figure scale. In fact, I waited until I got it for about $5 on Ebay when I bought the first version.

adultstarwarsfreak
09-21-2009, 03:46 PM
That's the thing. Some of the older vehicles such as the Skyhopper were good interpitations into the toyline. But the outrider was a joke. It did not even resemble the original design and was turned into a floppy B-wing. If it was updated, I imagine it would be slightly larger than half of the size of the BMF. We have recieved a number of X-wings and even a goofy Tie fighter with a rebel symbol. I believe it's time for a fresh perspective on what ships should be released. I bet if the Y-2400 was thrown into the clone wars somehow, you would jump all over it.

El Chuxter
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
The Outrider was a perfect toy, since the ship itself was a joke, and the toy was a joke. "We need a ship, Randy." "Just take the Falcon and turn the cockpit around. No, that's not what I meant; that looks stupid. Oh well, just hand it in to the boss and see what he says."

Darth Metalmute
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I would love to see a good Outrider. But there is no need for a BMF one.

Make it fifty dollars, allow it to fit 2 figures in the cockpit, and give a small interior.

adultstarwarsfreak
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
after doing some thinking, I believe you are right. But I still think a one man escape pod would be cool though

Obsession is Nute
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, absolutely. SOTE is one of my favorite EU points. I doubt we will see it, though. I think Hasbro is pretty conservative on vehicle choices, sticking close to the movies and TV show.

I would expect to see the Rogue Shadow done first as it is more recent. I think if it sold well enough, maybe we could hope to see the Outrider.

Darth Metalmute
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I would love to see the Rogue Shadow. but if they ever did it, it wouldn't live up to expectations. Lego did it and that one didn't either.

Darth Jax
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
dash is a han knock-off and the outrider is, as has been mentioned, a second-rate falcon. there is no need to re-tool this vehicle. there really isn't much reason to re-release it either.

DarkJedi5
09-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Couple have people have hit the nail on the head here. I loved SOTE and the Outrider but I'd be very wary about buying a new one. There is no reason it should be as big as the BMF and frankly, nothing happens in the interior of the ship! The cockpit needs to seat two (even though we only have one figure that's like 12 years old!) and maybe sit a figure at a gunner's turret but those are the only "features" this ship needs. I guess the lowering ramp and landing gears but this ship doesn't offer much and is not well known. As much as I'd love to see one done right, it won't happen because it doesn't need to happen. There's a very long list of vehicles I would rather see updated (AT-AT, Slave I, Cloud-Car, Snowspeeder, etc.) before this one.

bigbarada
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I read the SOTE novel when it first came out and I can't recall anything memorable happening in the Outrider. My favorite scene from that story took place on the Millennium Falcon (when Threepio was piloting the Falcon).

Personally, if I was going to champion an obscure EU vehicle, it would be Bossk's Hound's Tooth; but that's only because I'm such a big Bossk fan. That is one EU ship I would buy, but I know that it will NEVER see the light of day in the 3 3/4" line.

Old Fossil
09-21-2009, 09:27 PM
How about a trip to Europe?

clone157
09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I like the idea of re-doing this vehicle. Perhaps if, instead of the BMF sized Falcon, they were to use the older, smaller sized MF? That way it would be cheaper and you can still change the interior to make it roomier. The notion that appeals to me is the inclusion of vehicles outside of the "main character" ships to flesh out the world that we and our action figs live in.

Slicker
10-01-2009, 04:05 AM
I think they could definitely do this. Seeing as the Outrider was smaller than the Falcon then the BMF would be too big. If they wanted a more proper scale then they could just retool the original Falcon.

pbarnard
10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I think they could definitely do this. Seeing as the Outrider was smaller than the Falcon then the BMF would be too big. If they wanted a more proper scale then they could just retool the original Falcon.

I thought that until I realized that with the mark up on it now, that would put it into the $75 plus range. But that totally ignores tooling up dates.

Are you still willing to pay for that for a ship where nothing really ever happens on it?

Darth Metalmute
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Are you still willing to pay for that for a ship where nothing really ever happens on it?

Well we have gotten two 100 dollar versions of the Imperial Shuttle where nothing happens on besides the Emperor walking down a ramp.

That being said, re-tooling the old falcon mold isn't going to happen. I don't see Hasbro re-releasing the BMF in the future and can see them re-releasing the original sized Falcon in a few years. Also re-tooling the old mold would be more expensive and time consuming than creating a new mold. If they do an Outrider, it needs to be bigger than the original, and smaller than the original Falcon. It doesn't need to have a huge inside area, just secret storage compartments and a cockpit that fits Dash and Leebo. Oh and it needs Leebo.

DarkArtist
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I think it is time for one of the coolest ships in the Star Wars universe to be updated. I am not talking about any of the leading ships in the original triligy, but a ship that played a vital role behind the scenes. I am talking about Dash Rendars Outrider. Although it is not as iconic as the Millenium Falcon, it is however a well designed ship that blends into the world of Star Wars. The original toy was a little cool mixed with huge disappointment. I believe to this day there is still demand for that little thing, so I believe collectors would welcome an improved version. I think Hasbro could use the BMF design with some alteration to the mold. I think the Outrider should be about two inches wider than the BMF, still incopperating sounds and lights. The main hull would have removable panels to access the interior as well the entry ramp much like the Falcons. The BMFs interior could be reused with modifications. Take out the Radar Dish and add another computer console that would light up when prompted. Keep the medical bay for emergencies but remove the chess table for more cargo hold. Hasbro could even reuse the little fighter that could be docked in the same location. The upper main cannons would be manned similar to the Falcons, but construct it to where you control the direction of fire by turning the lower cannons. Now to the cockpit. The cockpit should seat two figures, much like the forward seats on the Falcon with a little space behind them. On the rear of the cockpit tube should be a spring loaded escape pod that one figure could be seated in. Now throw in some lights and sounds, and a updated Dash with his trusty droid, and I believe this would be a awesome set. What do you think?

all i can say is Where Do I sign Up ? would love to see a new re-launch of Shadows merchandise with the Outrider being redone to the BMF scale.

pbarnard
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Well we have gotten two 100 dollar versions of the Imperial Shuttle where nothing happens on besides the Emperor walking down a ramp.

Which sat until clearanced.

Darth Metalmute
10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Which sat until clearanced.

That's my point, if they can release the shuttle, which didn't sell, 2 different times without making any changes to it, why can't they release a new Outrider?

DarkJedi5
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Um, we got the BMF because the old Falcon tool is dead and needed to be redone if they were ever going to release a new Falcon again. I don't think there's anyway they could use it for an Outrider.

pbarnard
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
That's my point, if they can release the shuttle, which didn't sell, 2 different times without making any changes to it, why can't they release a new Outrider?

The shuttle was an exlcusive that used an existing mold. Exclusives were handled entirely seperately from the main line back than. The risk was shared by the stores and Hasbro (FAO/KB/Sears and Target's ). This is something all new.

Add to that this little nugget from the JoeCon this year. Hasbro is done storing the older molds from the 70s/80s/90s. They're breaking down, rusted, pitted. They don't want to have to pay to keep them stored, so they're paying to dispose of them before the costs get too prohibitive.

Remember, the line now gets a single solitary budget. So if they want to invest it in new tooling, that's less figures both new and paint variants as well as maybe new vehicles with paint variants of existing ones that won't be made. Is it a complete wave or more? I don't know the specifics, but it just won't be worth it.

Top it off, the features on these "would you buy" things is ridiculous. If you added them all in at the scales talked about, you'd have room for maybe one figure. Complete ignore the costs that it will add to the item. There's nothing you can do or say, but vehicles and playsets are a dead issue to the retailers. They're willing to take the risk every few years on larger $100 items, as long as there is something pushing it like the cartoon. But the Walmarts and Targets want quick turn around and sell through, not sit and wait for Labor/Memorial Day 2 years later like TRU seems willing to do. And which retailers you think can push the line into what gets made and what doesn't?

Slicker
10-03-2009, 02:48 AM
I thought that until I realized that with the mark up on it now, that would put it into the $75 plus range. But that totally ignores tooling up dates.

Are you still willing to pay for that for a ship where nothing really ever happens on it?I totally realize that which is why it won't get made. I honestly can't see them risking the large vehicle line on an EU ship.

Darth Jax
10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
I totally realize that which is why it won't get made. I honestly can't see them risking the large vehicle line on an EU ship.
i haven't been watching the animated series, so i don't know if the turbo tank shows up there. otherwise thats basically what they did with the turbo tank. a design that wasn't cool enough to make it into the original trilogy and has a blink or miss it appearance in PT.

morpheus282
10-03-2009, 10:54 AM
The turbo tank was shown in the first ten minutes of last night's season premiere. It was then promptly blown up.

I agree that Hasbro probably wouldn't tool up a new Outrider unless for some reason the YT-2400 shows up in the animated series. It's a cool ship, but I don't see parents spending over $50 on a ship that their kids may or may not recognize from a mutimedia EU even that occured over ten years ago. I'm not even sure that I'd buy one unless the price point was right.

The existing toy was pretty lame though. It should have been at least half again the size of what we got. It still wouldn't have been to scale, but it would have been a better toy.

Tycho
10-23-2009, 08:37 AM
We never know who the live-action series will focus on. But I think Dash is a little young for that. Isn't he about Luke's age?

In any case, I might be tempted by this ship. I don't need it and I'm not going to campaign for it. I use the original one for a SOTE space battle scene above Coruscant. But I might get another if it were cool - I'd likely just hang it over Mos Eisley.

Anyway, they can't retool ANY Millennium Falcon for the Outrider. The Outrider is a wider saucer shape from port to starboard, and the Falcon stretches longer from bow to stern - not even counting the Falcon's mandables.

So this would have to be an all-new mold.

I agree that the Rogue Shadow (Vader's apprentice's ship for those who don't know) and the Twilight (Clone Wars) -especially the Twilight - have more modern relevance.

The Outrider is filling in for our ANH poll this week because we are quickly running out of OT vehicles that haven't been made before, so I want to cover some re-release / resculpt options.

bigbarada
10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
The Outrider is filling in for our ANH poll this week because we are quickly running out of OT vehicles that haven't been made before, so I want to cover some re-release / resculpt options.

I've already cast my vote:

I would say no to yet another toy based on this second-rate Millennium Falcon.

pbarnard
10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Also, a YT-2400 is much smaller than a YT-1300 in terms of space. While the first one did suck, it doesn't justify the suped up reissue. There are other EU ships that have been in more sources over a longer time that would be much higher on the lists, never minding the amount of acutal movie ships. Want to know how bad the YT-2400 sucks? It was only included in X-Wing Alliance in the Bothan missions and never available as a playable ship indvidually. So if the ship geeks at Lucas Arts at the time thought it wasn't any fun to fly and play in to put into a second game, guess what, it wasn't that fun to begin with.

That would be a "NO" :thumbsup:

Devo
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I guess I'd consider it if it were reasonably big and had some nice interiors but it probably would neither be big nor have any interior other than the cockpit..in other words it'll be a rerelease of the old one if anything. I wouldn't touch that.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Outrider could work in the new $60 pricepoint, it's not as long front to back as the Falcon, and the CW Y-wing is about that size. I don't think Hasbro would make one, but I would buy it.

Ando
10-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet! I am a HUGE fan of the Outrider, Dash Rendar, and SOTE overall.

I think a YT-2400 roughly the same size as the old Falcon would be appropriate. It could even be a little smaller as long as we get a bigger disc/saucer with some playset like interior and a 2 man cockpit. Just as long as they do away with that silly B-Wing like play feature.

I also think that the top, bottom, and port side cannons should be missile launchers (two each for the top and bottom, and one big one on the port side.

I would buy this in a heart beat, possibly even two, but it's almost a forgone conclusion that they'll never revisit this ship anytime soon (or ever).

I know JT and I discussed Hasbro's lack of vision on another thread when it comes to vehicles (the GI Joe Defiant discussion a month or 2 back) for the SW line and how they were a lot more imaginative back in the 80's and even into the early 90's with the GI Joe line, but it sure would be swell if they let themselves off the chain a bit and started making more and more vehicles for the 3 3/4" line that may or may not have the usual media support.

I know they're running a business, but when I look at the new stuff for the GH line I have to wonder how they're able to keep BRAND NEW molds for things like a GH Slave I, GH CW Y Wing, and the JSF's PLUS a figure or 4 down to $24.99 or so and yet the 3 3/4" CW Y-Wing (which I do love) was $64.99 - $69.99. Is it the size of the tool, the amount of raw material, or is it more along the lines of "what the market will bear"? And if this would garner support from any one, should we ask them about this in one of our next Q+A sessions?

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
The GH vehicles are smaller, simpler, and require less parts and paint apps. There's also less competition against them in the market.

BTW, the Outrider only had port side guns on the Hasbro vehicle, the regular model doesn't have them.

Tycho
11-12-2009, 06:05 PM
So the Outrider is winning the vote for a resculpt here at SSG, but not many have voted: 9 are in favor, 6 are opposed.

I don't think I counted myself (these are informal polls anyway, but a good indicator of interest nonetheless).

I do not need a new Outrider, but I would buy one. The old one I have is to be hung flying in my "escaping Coruscant" SOTE diorama (well it's more of a grouping of hanging starships dogfighting that really needs Xizor's Virago added to the mix) but the ship didn't see more action in the Expanded Universe or the movies.

I'd buy another for OT EU Coruscant air traffic and to hang over a Mos Eisley diorama (I currently use - and would continue to use - the T-16 Skyhopper and an EU Airspeeder), but you know, this one might be useful.

bigbarada
11-12-2009, 09:11 PM

The Shuttle was one of the rarer vehicles from the original Kenner line. It was originally released in 1984/85, but wasn't made in large numbers because of the cancellation of the line. So, it being an existing mold that Hasbro acquired when they bought Kenner, there was very little investment on their part. A new Outrider would require completely new tooling.

Besides, the Shuttle is very prominent in three different scenes in ROTJ and was one of the most recognizable Star Wars vehicles for over a decade before SOTE was even announced. The Outrider was thrown into the background of the Special Edition of ANH and, unless you know to look for it, you will never know it is there.

So the status of the Imperial Shuttle and the Outrider are hardly comparable.

Tycho
01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
The Outrider had 9-6 voting in favor of it being re-made.

Darth Metalmute
03-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Off topic of the Outrider but on Topic with SOTE, are you going to do the Virago, Tycho?

TheDarthVader
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
make the vote 9-7. i have no interest in an outrider.

Neuroleptic
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I would love to see another Outrider done, as the original one was terrible even during its time. However, I only buy vehicles in the 20-25 or so dollar range and even then, maybe one every few years. If this was re-done properly, I doubt it would be in this range, and thus I would not vote for it to be made.

I'm not sure if I just said yes or no . . .

Tycho
03-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Off topic of the Outrider but on Topic with SOTE, are you going to do the Virago, Tycho?

Yes. That's probably the next poll for Monday. I've been doing the EU backwards through the chronology with one entry per EU story and then planning to repeat that.

For SOTE I have been torn between my much-wanted IG-2000 and Xizor's Virago. I'll take that as a request for the Virago (and it will help sell Xizor figures I'd hope - not to mention remind folks that Guri needs to be produced).

I eventually want to cover all the bounty hunter vehicles, but Slave-One will be an AOTC poll probably, the repaint required.

The IG-2000 is the next most prominent ship in SOTE (after the Virago) since the Outrider is polled for.

I want both ships (Virago and IG-2000) plus the vehicles for all my bounty hunters.