PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Lars Family Landspeeder?

Tycho
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I have started a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Lars Family Landspeeder from A New Hope).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Lars Family Landspeeder vehicle from A New Hope?

I envision this vehicle for the $20 price range probably, unless they pack-in action figures.

This vehicle is very simple and plain. It was seen in A New Hope twice - in the Lars' garage and a repaint driving through Mos Eisley Spaceport. It could have also been re-used for TPM and AOTC's Tatooine scenes, driving through the town.

Kids could imagine it's a bounty hunter's car or whatever. You also might be able to use a nicely painted one for Coco Street (running by Dexter's Diner) on Coruscant.

The main use for this toy would be diorama building. It's really collector-targeted, so it might be best offered as an exclusive.

The most likely action figures it would include with it are Luke, C-3PO, and R2-D2 with Holographic Princess Leia from the Lars' garage scene in ANH. In a year when a Tatooine Luke is not amongst the offerings, nor perhaps a gold C-3PO (they have TPM and AOTC versions to also choose from), it might be a way to keep these depictions of the characters in circulation.

Some who have high hopes for ANH versions of Owen and Beru being resculpted and better articulated, might push for these, but I don't see it being likely since Hasbro would primarily expense for the new speeder tooling.

The speeder would go good with the dioramas people might already be creating with the Homestead and the Jawa Sandcrawler.

The car might seat 4 figures, or 3 with a weak backseat like the Naboo Flash Speeder had. It's opening canopy could be small like the Republic Fighter Tank's.

I'm sure the speeder could float on hidden wheels and retract them like the original vintage Landspeeder.

The mold could be repainted to fit in other scenes and perhaps be re-released with Anakin and Padme, the rickshaw, and the rickshaw droid, from AOTC, once the droid figure might have already been expended for and sold as a carded offering. Throw in Watto, R2-D2, maybe some other figures, and you have a Mos Espa ultimate "battle pack."

I'm just saying Hasbro could milk the landspeeder mold if they go forward and produce this.

Do you want it made? Sold individually for $20? How about for a $50 price range in an Ultimate Battle Pack with figures included?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

This vehicle hasn't been seen in Clone Wars, but I'm sure speeders like it were around and used. Would an appearance on the show help it sell?

Is it cool enough that you want to see the animated series feature it?

obi-dad
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Personally, I'm usually all for OT vehicles & figures. I don't see this selling well. I don't think it's exciting enough to put in the Clone Wars series, though they could. I might buy one as someone who has yet to build a diorama, but buys a lot with plans to make one. Some randome kids might get one as a vehicle to interact with their figures, but not enough. Hasbro already has enough excuses for not making figures and much more needed vehicles (and playsets/diorama pieces). I also think a $20 pricetag is dreaming with the way they have hiked up prices in the past years.

So, I would probably buy one, but would not lend my support to lobby for one, as I think there are plenty of items Hasbro should put their money and efforts into first.

Turbowars
09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I would. If it's OT I'd buy it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Yup yup. Cool design, if not too aggressive.

Darth Metalmute
09-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I would probably get it. I would like to see it packaged like the landspeeder was with Luke after Attack of the Clones wave. 35 dollars price tag.

DarkJedi5
09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Do you want it made? Sold individually for $20? How about for a $50 price range in an Ultimate Battle Pack with figures included?
Yes, I'd love to see this made but really only in the starfighter assortment. I've already got the Skyhopper so why not round out the Lars' fleet? I guess I'd bite at a higher price point with bonus figures but it's totally not necessary.

What other features would you want on it?
This doesn't need any features. it's gotta have an opening cockpit that can fit 2 figures and wheels on the bottom with the hover feature is all I need.

Why would you NOT want it?
If it was just super crappy or way over-priced.

How do you think it would sell if produced?
Well, it's got a pretty cool design and as a speeder (something we've only seen twice in the line like ever) it's very usable in almost any display or play pattern.

This vehicle hasn't been seen in Clone Wars, but I'm sure speeders like it were around and used. Would an appearance on the show help it sell?
Doubt it. It wouldn't have any missiles or guns or anything that the kids are into these days. This would be for collectors or kids who are completists and buy anything that says Star Wars.

Is it cool enough that you want to see the animated series feature it?
Um, maybe if they hang out with Owen and Beru on Tatooine and it's when they buy the speeder that would be cool but otherwise, no.

Darth Jax
09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
i doubt i'd buy it. if released during a drought in vessels, or with a bunch of repainted starfighters, i might be tempted.

Snowtrooper
09-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I'd probably get it. Its not the most exciting vehicle in the world, but it would be a nice addition to some of the other OT vehicles. I couldn't see it doing well in anything over the $25 vehicle range. They could possibly go with it in the deluxe line, but it would probably be undersized to fit in the package.

Having the hover mechanism that Luke's speeder did would be nice. Lots of doors and compartments would be good too. I can't see them attaching missles to this since they would be very out of place.

It would only appeal to hardcore collectors, unless it makes an appearance later on. It would have to be a significant one at that in order to generate interest.

bigbarada
09-23-2009, 10:38 PM
This is a tough call. It's an OT vehicle, but I'm not really a fan of the design.

I'll have to go with no. Kind of ugly, completely enclosed so you wouldn't be able to see the figures inside, very tough to spot in the non-Special Edition version of the film, and just not a very fun or aggressive vehicle.

pbarnard
09-24-2009, 09:00 AM
This is the most basic vehicles. Just an opening cocpit and wheels on the bottom is all it needs. Doesn't even have to fit more than 2 figures. That's all. If this is 1 cent higher than the low end vehicle scale (which is like ~25 now?), it should not be made.

The battle pack idea has some merit to it.

El Chuxter
09-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I'd get it by itself, most likely, unless they really botch it. In a BattlePack, probably not, because it would include another Tatooine Luke, C-3PO, Artoo, and maybe Holo Leia. Don't need any more of those unless they finally make them perfect.

If they do a "sorta EU" pack with the Lars Speeder, ROTS Owen (really, Owen's head on the best Luke body), ROTS Beru, and whatever other plastic garbage they want to throw in (read: ROTS Obi-Wan #475), though, then I would.

vger
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd get it by itself as well. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

Devo
09-25-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd probably buy it but I wouldn't campaign for it. And if anything I'd prefer the Mos Eisley version which was more visible in the film.

DarkArtist
09-25-2009, 08:16 AM
I wouold have to wait and see what the vehicle looks like and what accessories are packed with the ship.... if they gave us a few new sculpted figures to sweeten the deal they I'd be in

Old Fossil
09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
This is a tough call. It's an OT vehicle, but I'm not really a fan of the design.

I'll have to go with no. Kind of ugly, completely enclosed so you wouldn't be able to see the figures inside, very tough to spot in the non-Special Edition version of the film, and just not a very fun or aggressive vehicle.

I agree on all counts. I'm usually all for seeing any ANH-related vehicle made (save the Tantive IV), but I don't think I'd buy this one.

Droid
09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
No, I wouldn't buy it, which is really surprising because I usually buy anything Tatooine related.

Tycho
10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
OK, I'll add my vote in favor of the Lars Family Landspeeder. It doesn't make a difference - the ship wins by a slim, but unenthusiastic margin:

10-6 "yes, in favor."

Hasbro: let's roll!

Tycho
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
The Lars' speeder made it.

I'd buy at least 3 I think:

1) for Mos Eisley's streets
2) for Coruscant's streets (outside of Dexter's Diner)
3) for Mos Espa's streets

I wouldn't actually put it on the Lars' homestead, as I'd want Luke's speeder to stand out there.

sith_killer_99
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Would You Buy The Lars Family Landspeeder?

Not for the price Luke was asking!!!:laugh:

I would consider buying one, if it is priced right.

JediTricks
01-20-2010, 03:36 AM
I would probably buy one, but it's hard to be sure. I was only marginally thrilled with the Action Fleet battle pack version, and it was accurate and held figures. It's an ok design, but not stellar.