PDA

View Full Version : Yea! Jedi Starfighter - thanks Wal-Mart

2-1B
02-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Wow, I read Jeditricks' "It's here! It's here!" story last night and figured it would take me awhile to find the Starfighter. But today I snagged one of at least two dozen sets. I'm excited to have my first new Star Wars toy :) I haven't started building it yet, but the pics on the box look cool:cool: It doesn't look like you can build the lil' droid though - it only has his dome.

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Congrats, Caesar..
I got mine at LEGOland when I went to San Diego.
Its a good thing I didnt go out there just for that!!:crazed:

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 05:23 PM
I hate my Wal-Marts, they put out nothing! And these are supposed to be SuperCenters too.

Paul-Kenobi
02-25-2002, 08:09 PM
i hope it at my walmart tommorow when i go there...........

JediTricks
02-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Caesar, I misread your post and was gonna ask you why you bought 2 dozen of them. ;)

The droid is supposed to be just a dome, that is movie-accurate.

jedijason1138
02-26-2002, 02:11 AM
I found my Jedi Starfighter at the Wal Mart in Troy, Missouri. I have been steering clear of spoilers, so I haven't really paid attention to the vehicles and such for the new movie. I saw the set and just had to have it. Pretty cool job with the landing gear.

This was a much better find than when Ep I came out. I was always looking for the new releases prior to the May 3rd release date. I was excited when I found party supplies back then. :D

jedi master sal
02-26-2002, 11:49 AM
I found one of eight at my Wal*Mart here in Pittsburgh. I thought it was a mistake and told the manager to check to make sure they were allowed to put this out yet. (i don't want one of my biggest suppliers of SW toys to be shut off from new merchandise.)

So it seems that it is okay for WM to be putting this out.

YIPPEE!-anakin EPI

I still didn't take it out of the box yet in case it's a mistake.

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 11:59 AM
It is a nice looking set, isnt it Jedi Master Sal? I am glad these are becoming available. It is helping me because I needed something to hold me over until the toys hit in April.

jedi master sal
02-26-2002, 02:11 PM
I especially like the "dragster" alternate pictured on the back.

I've been jones'in for new SW stuff for awhile now. It didn't even bother me to pay the $19.99 for the set. (i think 10-12 should have been enough though)

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 02:18 PM
I am going to begin building mine this weekend!!
Who hoo!!

Beast
02-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
I've been jones'in for new SW stuff for awhile now. It didn't even bother me to pay the $19.99 for the set. (i think 10-12 should have been enough though)
Same here, I'm not really a Lego collector. But I may have to buy one of these early anyway. Because I need a E2 toy of some kind, to satisfy my rabid thirst for all the E2 figures we won't be getting until April 23rd. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Its worth it, JarJar. I love mine, and haven't even built it yet!!
I am just savoring it until I can bring myself to open up the box.

2-1B
02-26-2002, 06:26 PM
JediJason, it's cool with the spoilers because the pictures they show don't really give anything away, other than the appearance of the ship. However, the instruction booklet does show other sets to be sold later that include some spoilers. :)

JediTricks - I bought two dozen sets because I wanted to get the droid for "army building" :D . . . . Imagine my deflation when I realized it was just the dome :crazed: :( :crazed:
I'm not surprised they only included the dome, because as you said it is movie accurate. I thought it would be cool to be able to build the droid for imaginative play. The first thing I did upon opening it was to build 2 small vehicles, and it would be cool to put a whole droid at the controls.

Sal - I too didn't mind paying that price, even though it could have been lower. In general, there has been a lot of talk recently about the new toys and it was fun to actually get an official start on the AOTC products.

Rep. Binks - Give it a try! :) I know you are pumped for the figures, but since they won't be out for awhile, now is a good time to enjoy LEGO. Personally, I used to abstain form them until I bought a few clearance sets on a whim a few years back. Now I'm hooked and can't believe it took me that long to buy them.

Jango96 - Enjoy!

JediTricks
02-27-2002, 01:28 AM
Caesar, you have no creativity, there's a secret "super alternate model" where you use the pieces to build a giant robot and the astromech dome is the tiny head! ;) :D :crazed: "Look out, it's an army of Super Droid Fighters!!!" (ok, maybe not ;))

I can't wait to get this set, I really want to know what the underside is like.

Battle Droid
02-27-2002, 02:22 AM
Got mine yesterday, very nice set. My first Lego SW's ship, not counting my 1 Droid Fighter.

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 03:19 AM
I wish my Wal-Mart would get this set in, I so need some E2!!!! *eagerly taps his foot repeatidly* :crazed:

2-1B
02-27-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I can't wait to get this set, I really want to know what the underside is like.

I like the landing gear, it's better than just building a few bricks underneath that have to be removed for flight :)

Good idea with the Super Droid Fighter !

InsaneJediGirl
02-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a cool set.I doubt my WM will have it but I'll
have to check it out.Thanks for the update.

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Welp, my Wal-Mart had it last night and my aunt who works in the deli was able to pick me up the last one on the shelf. :)

It is well wortht he $20, let me tell ya! While the basic construction leaves something to be desired (not very sturdy design) like with wings that are only attached to 4x4 black hinged "trap door" and the wings are pretty long for it. Also the landing gear is a bit sensitive but fine and the cockpit isn't perfeclty sealed, on the sides theres a small crack under it because due to the short height of the cockpit piece to put in the pieces that would be needed and still be able to fit Obi-Wan would be impossible.

Overall though, it's a nifty set, kinda wobbly and loose but you'll get used to it, mostly I'm just displaying it until I get other E2 LEGO sets but you can make with it.

It would be an easy set to tweak though, I plan on getting an extra one when they're easier to find and using sturdier pieces and then for sloping wings I'm gonna use the hinged bricks like the Snowspeeder.

2-1B
03-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
and the cockpit isn't perfectly sealed, on the sides there's a small crack under it because due to the short height of the cockpit piece to put in the pieces that would be needed and still be able to fit Obi-Wan would be impossible.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in that as well :( It's a pretty delicate design, I thought that surely I must had built it wrong. But I checked the pics on the box and yep it's supposed to be that clumsy.

Overall, I do like it though :)

OxsLemure
03-03-2002, 09:13 AM
I saw this set at my wal mart too. It looks nice. Now for all those who are jonesing for the ep2 toys and buying this for that rush you know the preview figures are due this month right? Late this month true but this one none the less. These I am looking forward to. A new nice astromech, Clone trooper, The fetts dad and the hot looking jam weazel..which if that isn't a girl they need to resculpt pretty badly.
Luck to all in the hunt..for the new and the new old..those R4-M9s should be popping up soon..and congrats to all who ordered the vader toy fair edition in time..Chad
lemure77@yahoo.com

InsaneJediGirl
03-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Hey,Went to WM this morning.No Jedi Starfighter,but the Lego
section was really empty with stock save some Duplo stuff.It
does come in an EpII package,right?

LTBasker
03-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Nope, but it's basically unmarked, it's the only SW set to not have characters in the logo, it's more or less noticeable, it says Jedi Starfighter in nice bold letters, gotta kinda look though since it fits in a little more with the generic packaging on the other sets.

Paul-Kenobi
03-03-2002, 11:45 PM
WOO HOO! my walmart just got the starfighter in today :D:cool: :) :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

GeneralKenobi
03-04-2002, 12:25 AM
Did any of you guys get 2 lightsaber hilts with this set?

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 04:51 AM
Yeah, they're packing those in now as extras so I think in case you lose one you have the other for back-up... or they saw the Naboo Qui & Obi figures at TRU and decided to pack in 2 hilts and 1 blade to have one ignited and the other unignited. :D

JetsAndHeels
03-04-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Hey,Went to WM this morning.No Jedi Starfighter,but the Lego
section was really empty with stock save some Duplo stuff.It
does come in an EpII package,right?

InsaneJediGirl,
It comes in the basic LEGO box, with the basic Star Wars logo on the top right hand corner.
Make sure you check all around; I was at a WM this weekend and they had them all stacked at the very top of the shelves, like they didnt want anyone to find them.
I recommend this set to everyone, I put mine together and I love it!!

Rollo Tomassi
03-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Here's a good story.

I just got mine and my four year old daughter and I put it together. She looked at the little figure and says "Look, Dad, Obi Wan!" Ahh, my heart leapt that she would recognise a LEGO figure of a character (I personally think it looks like Eric Stoltz from Pulp Fiction...but whatever). I asked her who that was (pointing to the droid) and she goes "R2-D2."

Then she lifted up the Starfighter and looked underneath and asks "where are his legs?"<---(Imagine this in the sweetest most innocent voice you can think of.)

That's right, folks. Even my four year old knows when George made a mistake. You older collectors can rationalize away a droid head with no body attached, but little kids know that astromech droids have stumpy little bodies, and this one realized it wasn't there. I was so proud of her. I love my daughter.:D

2-1B
03-08-2002, 12:25 PM
That's a great story Rollo :) There's no reason they couldn't throw in a bucket to attach the droid's head to.

I also got an extra saber hilt in my set . . . maybe I can trade it for a droid trunk. :D

LTBasker
03-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Here's a good story.

I just got mine and my four year old daughter and I put it together. She looked at the little figure and says "Look, Dad, Obi Wan!" Ahh, my heart leapt that she would recognise a LEGO figure of a character (I personally think it looks like Eric Stoltz from Pulp Fiction...but whatever). I asked her who that was (pointing to the droid) and she goes "R2-D2."

Then she lifted up the Starfighter and looked underneath and asks "where are his legs?"<---(Imagine this in the sweetest most innocent voice you can think of.)

That's right, folks. Even my four year old knows when George made a mistake. You older collectors can rationalize away a droid head with no body attached, but little kids know that astromech droids have stumpy little bodies, and this one realized it wasn't there. I was so proud of her. I love my daughter.:D

Very cool story. :sur: I too would've liked to of had an extra body thrown in but unfortunetly they went with the movie-specifics and the Jedi Starfighter's droid head is just built-in. If you go to SW.com and check out the Jedi Starfighter section, you can read that. However... if you've got a B-wing and haven't anything to with the astromech there, pop off the head, put it in the cargo hold, then have the body for the Jedi Starfighter astromech. :cool: