PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Like / Rate The Action Figure Waves?

Tycho
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Since 2006, we've kind of gotten themed waves of figures (2005 was all ROTS).

I rather like this pattern. Which were your favorites?

2006:

ROTJ - Battling Jabba at the Pit of Carkoon
AOTC - Geonosis
ROTS - Coruscant / EU
ESB - Hoth
ANH - Tatooine
ROTJ - Endor
TPM - Naboo
Repaints

2007: TAC

ROTS - Mustafar / Order 66
ANH - Yavin
ANH - Mos Eisley
ROTJ - Jabbas
Exp Univ
ESB - Bespin
Repaint
ROTJ - Endor
AOTC - Kamino

2008 / 2009 : BAD

ROTJ - Jabbas
Clone Wars - Mon Calamari
ANH - Death Star / Mos Eisley
ESB - Bespin
AOTC - Tatooine / Coruscant / Geonosis
TPM - Naboo / Tatooine

Or something like that. I've forgotten some waves I'm sure. But I rather like the theme releases

bigbarada
09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
The themes are alright, but I think I prefer the waves to be based on the films, not just on scenes from the films. The upcoming ROTJ wave is a great example of a movie-themed wave with a lot of variety to it. Because we are getting a nice mix of resculpts and all-new characters from all aspects of ROTJ: core characters, Jabba's thugs, Ewoks, Rebels. It's just a great wave overall.

Also, as a strictly OT collector, I would prefer it if we were guaranteed that every other wave would be an OT wave. So no releasing a TPM wave immediately after an AOTC wave.

DarkJedi5
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
The ordering of the waves doesn't bother me, if they released waves in film order (TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ then EU) I wouldn't mind at all. I prefer film based waves to scene based waves simply because sometimes it's just really difficult to round out an entire wave with just one scene. Hoth being a good example, a wave of just Hoth figures would not do as well as a wave that could include a Boba Fett figure. Though an all Jabba's Palace wave or Cantina wave would be great with collectors it would again struggle with kids.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I've quite liked the themed waves. Didn't they say they'd be moving away from them in the future, though? I mean, I like to get a bunch of figures from the same movie at once, but it would be nice to get a TPM figure more than once every two years, and I'm sure the OT-only people wouldn't mind having at least something to pick up more frequently. But I do think it's good for them to release a few figures at a time that compliment each other, like at least two figures from any given scene, as opposed to just a bunch of random stuff. I suppose they can't always do that, but it would be nice, and it would likely even drive up sales a bit.

And the planet-specific themes haven't really been around for quite some time, as seen by Tycho's attempt to classify some more recent ones in that fashion.

Blue2th
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
My favorite waves so far were:

2008 Clone Wars Micro Series wave
2009 TPM Naboo-Tatooine

Obsession is Nute
09-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree with Barada. I would like to see more movie-themed waves as opposed to scene waves. I think we you pick a whole movie you can give something for everyone. Not everyone is interested in scene X, necessarily.

bigbarada
09-24-2009, 11:28 PM
2008 / 2009 : BAD

ROTJ - Jabbas
Clone Wars - Mon Calamari
ANH - Death Star / Mos Eisley
ESB - Bespin
AOTC - Tatooine / Coruscant / Geonosis
TPM - Naboo / Tatooine

I don't think the Legacy waves have been really scene specific at all. The initial ROTJ wave from 2008 had only two characters from Jabba's Palace, 3 characters from a cut scene, an Ewok, and Vader from the Endor battle. So it was hardly a true "Jabba's Palace" wave.

The ESB wave only featured one character from Bespin, one Hoth soldier, Luke and Leia from the end of the film and an Imperial Officer that was dead before the heroes even made it to Bespin.

Tycho
09-25-2009, 01:21 AM
That reminds me: how about a "Dead Characters Wave?"

Crispy Owen - ANH
Crispy Beru - ANH
AT-ST Flattened Ewok - ROTJ
Burnt Jawa - ANH
Shmi Skywalker corpse - AOTC
Dead Yoda - ROTJ
Dead Qui-Gon - TPM
Dead Padme - ROTS

There are main characters for everyone, and almost all the movies are represented.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM

Crispy Owen - ANH
Crispy Beru - ANH
Burnt Jawa - ANH
Dead Yoda - ROTJ
Dead Qui-Gon - TPM
Dead Padme - ROTS

There are main characters for everyone, and almost all the movies are represented.
You can already do a custom Dead Yoda. Just use an empty cloak.

Old Fossil
09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Ah likes me a wave with at least one OT trooper type in it. That way, if it's a prequel-focused wave, it'll have at least 1 figure in it I'd buy, which lessens my chances of leaving a store empty-handed and bummed. Kind of like what they did recently -- putting a Biker Scout in with the TPM wave.

Tycho
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, in my dead figure wave, how about a stormtrooper with an Ewok arrow stuck in his neck? (ROTJ)

Old Fossil
09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, in my dead figure wave, how about a stormtrooper with an Ewok arrow stuck in his neck? (ROTJ)

Sure. Or, an A-Wing Pilot with a chunk of Star Destroyer wedged in his forehead.(ROTJ)

Something like that.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-25-2009, 07:21 PM
I shall rate them on a scale of 1 through 5

2006:

ROTJ - Battle of Carkoon - 2/5 - Other than Leia as Boushh, this wave wasn't all that great. However, she is one of my favorite figures.

ESB - Battle of Hoth - 3/5 - This was a decent wave. Nice improvements for Veers and the AT-AT Driver. Derlin could have used more articulation, but was a neat figure to get. I passed on Rieekan since I had the Saga Ultra version. Nice repaint of the Power Droid, as well as including another droid with him. I think this was the Vader whose helmet wouldn't stay on.

AOTC - Battle of Geonosis - 1/5 - Not that great of a wave. I passed on Yoda, C-3PO and Jango since I already had these versions. Nice to get a new Jedi in Sora Bulq. Scorch didn't have the best articulation. Poggle was a repaint. Sun Fac was a nice improvement over the Saga Geonosis Warriors, but still not a big fan of Geonosian figures.

ROTS/Clone Wars - 3/5 - Battle of Coruscant - A bit of a mixed bag. The Firespeeder Pilot and the Utapau Clone were great figures. Obi-Wan & Anakin were just repaints with soft goods, while Grievous was also a repaint with a different colored cloak. Cody was okay. Lushros pegwarmed quite a bit. Ki-Adi-Mundi is just another holo figure.

ANH - Escape From Mos Eisley - 4/5 - Great wave, with a long awaited update to R5-D4. Also, a new Cantina figure in Hem Dazon, though he could have been better. Nice updates to Garindan and Momaw Nadon. Luke was okay, but his accessories were even better. A chance to army build with a Sandtrooper. Yet another Commtech Han, though I like the look of this one better than some of the previous versions.

ESB - Bespin Confession - This was just the Darth Vader figure, pretty much the same one as in the Battle of Hoth wave. I liked it better for the accessories and the helmet that doesn't fall off.

ROTJ - Battle of Endor - 3/5 - Maybe not quite as good as the Mos Eisley wave, but still all right. Chirpa, DSG and C-3PO were all pretty good, and two versions of the Endor Rebel gives us a chance to army build some rebel troops. Palpatine brings the wave down though. Vader is an old figure, but has the new hand. Moff Jerjerrod went undercover as Major Pegwarmer, but I didn't hate the figure that much. Luke could be better, but was an improvement over previous Endor Lukes.

TPM - Naboo - 3/5 - Nice to get some new aliens with the podracers, Gragra and Rep Been, but none of them excited me that much. Not a good choice of Maul for a hologram. Obi-Wan is a kitbash of several old figures. I think I like the Naboo soldier the best.

Repaints - Wave 7 - 2/5 - I passed on the Kit Fisto, Chewbacca and Sith Training Maul repacks. I like the three clones and the R5 unit, but not the battle droids, particular the regular ones. Holo Cody was nothing special.

Repaints - Wave 8 - 2/5 - Again, like the clones and the droid, but not excited by the repacks and the holo, other than that Poof comes with a lightsaber.

Repaints - Wal-Mart Exlcusives - 1/5 - Like the purple droid and the Nabrun Leids repaint. I like the new Aurra Sing look, but still the sculpt is poor. I bought the other two as well, but probably could have done without them.

I'll get to the 2007-2009 ones later.

djsosharp
09-26-2009, 11:17 PM

Crispy Owen - ANH
Crispy Beru - ANH
Burnt Jawa - ANH
Dead Yoda - ROTJ
Dead Qui-Gon - TPM
Dead Padme - ROTS

Also, dead 501st trooper, with Yoda's saber through his chest. I'm so happy Sideshow is making a big version of that for me to throw money at.

"Demise of Grievous" is the only figure off the top of my head that comes close to your idea. Have there been any other figs like that one?

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Also, dead 501st trooper, with Yoda's saber through his chest. I'm so happy Sideshow is making a big version of that for me to throw money at.

"Demise of Grievous" is the only figure off the top of my head that comes close to your idea. Have there been any other figs like that one?

Tusken and Jango with removeable head.

Blue2th
09-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Wasn't there also a Geonosian you could get in the AOTC deluxe pack that was chopped in half?
That's like a dead bug, but still a dead figure.

Koffi Arana in the comic pack has a lightsaber hole in his torso. I haven't opened mine yet, but did he die in the comic?

Tycho
09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes. Vader killed him.

djsosharp
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
After he (Koffi) had killed poor Bultar for her lightsaber

Tycho
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes. That was messed up.