PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys Iron Man mk 3 battle damaged

JediTricks
09-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Having missed out on the first Mark III sold by Sideshow, and then seeing the cool stuff they added to the Mark II with the pop-open helmet, I was really torn because I could have gotten that one, but I didn't really like the silver look.

Thankfully, Sideshow is making Hot Toys' latest update of the Mark III figure available, and it's so super sweet. It has the opening helmet, the lights in the head and chest and hands, the pop-up forearm rockets (which appears to be reworked from the original to be more accurate), and then they added a ton of features like the pop-up shoulder pods, the expandable forearm gauntlet, a removable chest plate, the hip rotary countermeasure launcher, they reworked the leg airbrakes, they did the back propulsion flaps in metal, and it comes with a stand designed to look like the floor of the Stark Industries arc reactor from the film's finale.

So, with all my Sideshow Rewards points finally locked down, I was able to use their $43 balance to cut down on the $189 pricetag, and now I cannot wait for it to show up (its ship date is sometime in 1st quarter 2010). This may be the most extravagant action figure I'll ever buy, even beating Sideshow Vader, but dang if it doesn't look worth it.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=900551

Jayspawn
09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
The Hot Toys Iron Man figures are f'n sweet. Don't own any myself but I never get tired of looking at pics. Incredible!

Hot Toys 1/6th figures are something I've unfortunatly gotten into. Unfortunatly because of their price. But I own Two-Face and Jor-El so far with the Dlx Joker on order. I'm hoping to get Dlx Batman and Lt. Aldo Raine from Inglorious Basterds when thats available.

jonthejedi
09-30-2009, 05:23 AM
I really wanted 1 of these from Iron Man, plus Batman from & Joker from Dark Knight but OMG...the prices! They are freekin' sweet...the best 1/6 scale figs. Period. I have John Conner on the way & a 4th Q p/b for T-600 w/weathered skin. The actor likenesses like on Tony Stark & Joker are dead-on accurate & scary.

JediTricks
09-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Hot Toys pricing is really high, no doubt. I've seen their Batman figures and they did a Tumbler Batmobile for it that is to die for, they go all out with this stuff, so most of the time I'm just glad that they exist but I know I'll never own one. However, with this Iron Man getting re-released after I spent $150 on Sideshow Vader, it somehow breaks that barrier which makes NO sense, and yet it does. :p

sergiurusu
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Hot Toys figures are never cheap alas. But their quality exceeds anything Sideshow or Medicom puts put, there is no comparison, some are fragile but even so they are pieces of art. I'm looking at the HT Terminator T-800 Endoskeleton and I'm still amazed by all those tiny details, each finger and toe can move separately. Other companies will take years to get to this level, or maybe never. I'm just thinking of how HT Vader or Stormtroopers would have looked...

JediTricks
10-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Hot Toys was a design partner on both the Sideshow Stormtrooper and Vader, they even collaborated on the design of the new armored body under the costume, a lot of the stormy especially is their work. So now you know. ;)

sergiurusu
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Hot Toys was a design partner on both the Sideshow Stormtrooper and Vader, they even collaborated on the design of the new armored body under the costume, a lot of the stormy especially is their work. So now you know. ;)

I knew that long ago... ;) But that doesn't mean HT don't have their own agenda, maybe a time when they could have their own SW license and thus make a much better Stormtrooper. I'd do this if I was HT, I wouldn't show all my secrets to my collaborators, because tomorrow they could be my direct rivals. You know my point now?

JediTricks
10-09-2009, 02:03 AM
I do, but I am not sure it'd be specifically different, there's little chance Hot Toys is going to get the license away from Medicom for that region, and they already have a strong relationship with the US license-holder which doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

sergiurusu
10-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Never say never. :D

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Never!!! ;)

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Check out the review and pics of this figure!
http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=12922

(there's a video review, but also 40+ pics at the bottom)

I am so glad I preordered this now. Then again, it's already missed its 1st quarter ship date, and isn't slated for the next month.

jonthejedi
04-09-2010, 05:52 AM
This is one I sorely wanted...but just didn't have the funds.

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
This is one I sorely wanted...but just didn't have the funds.
Yeah, I can see that, it's really frustrating when these things are so expensive and so tempting. Normally, I wouldn't have thought a second about an item that cost this much, but I had to make an exception for this Iron Man after I missed the first release.

BTW, Sideshow's latest newsletter announces that the shipping date for it has changed to April 2010, but it's not showing up in the "coming in the next 30 days" section, so unless it's being released on April 39th...

JediTricks
05-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I can't believe I finally have this piece... and have to send it back for a replacement. :p The left shoulder pod came jammed.

The detail on this sucker is stunning, and the use of rubber parts in place of hard plastic worked brilliantly. The paint is immaculate, and added weathering details really bring it to life. There are lots of details under the chest armor, there are a few separate pieces to make it stand out, but it's the details inside the right gauntlet and the calves that are outstanding work, they're finer details in the movie and Hot Toys brought them to life perfectly. The insides of the calves are so impressive, for a moment I thought they made them movable. And the battle damaged helmet's removable mask even has the movie detailing inside, it's amazing.

Articulation is very good, lots of range of motion for something so complex in design. That said, the head doesn't tilt up for flight, the upper torso doesn't move the way the lower torso does, and the forearm doesn't rotate (which is only an issue for the "shield" gauntlet to cover the face). Also, the shoulder articulation uses spring-hinged pads to cover its thin shoulder articulation so sometimes it's visible and not ideal. But the range they got into the lower waist, into the elbows, into the hips and knees and ankles, that is all better than expected. The range in the hands varies from hand to hand design, but the open-finger repulsor-blast hands pose as well as I could have hoped (the closed-finger repulsor-blast hands have almost as much range, but that little extra range makes a difference).

The interchangeable parts are all quite cool, and they include a small clear plastic screwdriver to pry stuff open and off. There are the tiniest flaps on the backs of the calves which open, that requires the clear tool. Getting the weapons pods to stow under the shoulders is easier with the tool. Prying the chest armor plate off (it's interchangeable) is much easier with the tool.

Stuff that opens or reveals:
- "battle damaged" helmet mask (comes off, held by magnets) and jaw, revealing a fantastic RDJ likeness
- each shoulder opens to pop up the aim-able micro-weapons pods
- 6 back aero flaps (2 on each shoulder, the larger has a second movable flap and 2 separate thin metal plates)
- shoulderpads have secondary moving detail plate each
- right gauntlet, "shield" (there's 2 tiny missiles as well) opens via 4 separate pieces moving in different directions
- left gauntlet, "mini-missile" (totally different from the right) opens via 3 separate pieces
- hip chaff launchers, so clever, you twist a panel each hip and they pop open and extend their lock pins
- calf upper panel
- calf lower panel
- calf lower panel's 3 moving parts (lower flap halves plus rear flap) each calf
- 2 hinged ankle plates per ankle

On top of all that, the non-damaged helmet lights up beautifully, the chest arc reactor lights up brilliantly and has a detailed arc reactor design (this thing is blinding actually, and could use some diffusion to match the eyes, but looks great on its own and doesn't suffer bleed), and each forearm has a light-up ball joint for 1 of 2 interchangeable "repulsor blast" posed hands which light up (the closed fist hand doesn't light up, and the left "nude" hand obviously shouldn't), there is some bleed in the light-piping of the hands but they look pretty decent anyway (although I think the design could have used some diffusion just for looks).

The included stand is a very cool design with lots of little levels, broken glass flooring, and a nice Iron Man logo at the front. The stand has a pop-in riser that goes to the figure's crotch to stand it from, but the riser seems to be a permanent choice, can't pop it back out to re-box it, so I haven't assembled it yet.

Speaking of assembly and re-boxing, Hot Toys did something odd, the larger rear flaps with the metal inner flaps are separate pieces with slots in the secondary tray (there are 2 full-sized trays, the outer box is really 2 boxes attached at the middle like a book), but once you attach those flaps to the IM figure, they don't come back off, so you have to put him back in his tray which isn't designed to accommodate the back with the flaps attached.

Is it worth the money? Well, it really is hard to say for myself. Well, it's not removable armor, so it's really just a big action figure with the tricks of action figures. But that works so much better than an armored body could, so that's a double-edged sword. Then again, the detailing is outstanding in every way, there are a ton of little parts that move and are complex. The sculpting and paint is perfection, it looks like the move, even the rubber waist parts. So it's like owning a 1:6 movie prop, but also one that wants to be played with, yet there are some parts so fine I can barely bring myself to move them for worry of breakage. Ultimately, I am happy with it (or will be when I get my replacement) as something between a figure and a prop replica.