PDA

View Full Version : Battle at the Sarlacc Pit (ultimate battle pack)

IG 8D8
09-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Had my eyes on this one for a while because 1. I never owned a skiff, 2. having a sarlacc pit diorama would be cool and 3. the presentation of items in the box looks very cool.

I must say, look for this item online as the price of it in stores was insane, it might no longer be available in stores actually. You can get it for a fraction of the retail price like most star wars items if you buy from ebay. First - the figures. Obviously the figures are re packed from various lines. People say that figures in battle packs are of a lot lower quality. You can definitely see that here, while they look great set up in the box, once you look at them up close you realize they weren't striving for quality in this area.

Lando and the weequay guard look pretty good. Han is ok but his face is goofy because I think he is looking up (for the scene when he rescues Lando). But the Luke is historically bad. They gave him a Fisher Price "little People" face. Not only that but he is the size of a 12 year old when compared to a normal figure. As bad as Luke is though, the Boba Fett they threw in is pretty good. One thing I can't get though is the soft weapons. Weequay's staff literally came bent in two places, soft as a twisty tie.

The skiff is a little under sized and can't stand on it's own well. But it works, and looks great with several figures on board. The only problem is the foot pegs aren't the best, you have to work to make figures stay standing. the look of the skiff is really impressive though, 2 next to each other hovering above the pit would look just like the movie.

Unfortunately the sarlacc is also small, but wonderfully detailed. The tentacles are posable and can wrap around bad guys. The beak is removable, which makes it look bigger. Many don't like the layers of cheap plastic desert which fit over the pit, as it doesn't look like the real thing. Instead I'm going to make more of a steeply slanted funnel so it is actually a "pit" similar to what is seen in the film. Real sand could be used here, it would just be a mess though. Overall, the Sarlacc Pit Pack is a good starter set for a diorama. You need one more skiff, more figures (Chewbacca, R2, etc.) Jabba's sail barge and some sort of sand dune back drop. It would be nice if the background painting in the box was bigger.

DarkArtist
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
passed on this set time and time again as it never seemed to go on sale... couldn't justify the large pricetag for figures I already had. would have loved to get the Sarlacc and another skiff but the price just kept me saying no... now I sorta kicking myself that i didn't cave in and get one for the Sarlacc and the Skiff. especially with the awesome ROTJ Legacy figures that are coming out. Oh Well.... perhaps I can find one cheap on ebay or something

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
It eventually got to around $14 here. I got it for a Christmas present, so I can't complain too much. It looks fine on the shelf and I haven't given it too much thought since I got it, so eh, whatever.

DarkArtist
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
It eventually got to around $14 here. I got it for a Christmas present, so I can't complain too much. It looks fine on the shelf and I haven't given it too much thought since I got it, so eh, whatever.

i wish i saw it for $14 would have invested in a couple for the skiffs and the Sarlaccs... oh well.

IG 8D8
10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
$14 is a great deal. Ebay has them in the 30 $ range. There was another one that came out before that had just the skiff and figures I believe.

Old Fossil
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Man, that closeup shot of the Sarlacc... eww.