PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy An Imperial Star Destroyer Vehicle?

Tycho
09-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I have started a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Imperial Star Destroyer from The Empire Strikes Back).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Imperial Star Destroyer from The Empire Strikes Back?

I envision this vehicle would be the most expensive toy Hasbro ever produces (other than maybe a complete (scaled down) Death Star, with the Star Destroyer costing collectors at least $200 or more. Those of you who buy SideShow or Hot Toys figures, don't balk just yet. PRICE might not be your concern if this could actually happen.

Size is another matter. Remember the GI Joe U.S.S. Flag aircraft carrier toy made in the 80's? OK, well the Star Destroyer needs to be at least 9 feet or more long. This vehicle will be very similar in design to what LEGO has recently released, and open up for an entirely off-scale play environment.

Like the vintage Death Star, an elevator should take figures up the neck. At the top of the command tower, will be the bridge, with space for a double-deck so the bounty hunters can assemble and you can put about 3-4 Imperials on either side of the crew pits. Vader can walk the command walk above them up to the front windows.

Just below that, in the neck, should be Vader's meditation chamber (removeable and replaceable with Grand Admiral Thrawn's meditation chair and holo-displays for an EU option).

Beneath that, right above the main hull of the ship, should be a conference room modeled after the one Tagge and Motti sat at with Tarkin on the Death Star. (There will be a repeating pattern here of Imperial stuff looking much alike - similar to the Death Star).

Inside the main hull (forward) should be room for a TIE Bomber to dock. This vehicle is the lowest profile of all the TIEs and would work best, so the Star Destroyer could launch a fighter. Regular TIEs' wings are too tall so forget it.

A walkway for the pilot to the bomber's cockpit should work. Also, a vehicle maintainance energizer (think back to the vintage accessory sets) should be included.

Behind the docking bay on one side should be the prisoner brig. There should be a cell block (like Leia's on the Death Star) with one prisoner cell, an escape hatch for play, a command station (like the one Luke and Han took over where they had "a slight weapons malfunction"), and a place for the torture chair (like the one TAC Han Bespin comes with).

This should lead across the elevator access area and to a trash compactor (like the vintage Death Star set, only not bright orange).

In front of either of these, there should be probot launching pods. These pods (like the ones in ESB) would carry one probot, but Rebel figures who escape can hijack them and make their get-away if a probot isn't currently aboard.

Along the side decks (upper walkways going towards the front of the ship) will be gunner stations where Death Star Gunner figures man 3-4 double-barreled turbolasers on either side of the ship. They'll launch missiles (2 each) for 12-16 firing missiles for the kids (and myself) to play with.

The ship may or may not include electronic sounds and lights. An Emperor's hologram by Vader's meditation chamber / Thrawn's command room might be a great place for this.

The main market for this toy would be for high-end Star Wars collectors (who also happen to want to dedicate a 9 foot space for this in their house) and who buy a lot of Imperials.

Do you want this made?

Would you spend $200-250 for something like this? More?

Are you seriously capable of it, or just talking?

Do you already buy SideShow, Medicom, Attikus, or Hot Toys products that approach or exceede this price range. (It was $400 for SideShow's Jabba, throne, and Bubo and Salacious creature packs - now more if you add the alcove with Han Solo in carbonite). If you own these items, are you OK with the price of the Star Destroyer as I'm suggesting?

How big of problem is having the space to own this ship? Why is it a problem? Is the space-for-it-issue at all because of WHICH SHIP I'm discussing? (In other words, would you buy a different ship from Star Wars that's this size and around this price instead? Which one?)

What other features would you want on an Imperial Star Destroyer that I have not described?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Do you think Hasbro (or even a different company like SideShow) could make this and start out by taking pre-orders with non-refundable deposits on the ship, say for like $50 to $100? Then either go into production, beyond the prototype, or refund the deposits if the ship needs to be cancelled?

This vehicle hasn't been seen in Clone Wars, but I'm sure it could be in development during this time and later make appearances on the show as a prototype. Would an appearance on the show help it sell?

Do you want to see the animated series feature it?

El Chuxter
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
The Star Destroyer would only work as a playset. I might buy it in that form. As a $200+ ship, no way, no matter how much I like it.

pbarnard
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Nope. It just won't be done. Much easier to make a dio that's in the 3-4 foot range for just the bride set up.

Oh, and you never specified, the Imperator (ISD Mark II) class or Executor Class (SSD)?

Ando
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
YES.

I have been wondering lately if someone out there might try to start a company to sublicense the SW brand from Hasbro to build LARGE scale capital ships and vehicles for the 3 3/4" figures.

I think it'd be awesome to get a Star Destroyer and if someone could build it in such a way that the base infrastructure is easily modified so that they could re-skin in to become a Venator or Acclamator class cruiser/SD would make it even better because I would definitely want to own all 3.

I would preorder with a deposit of $50-$100.

I know there is NO way something like this could ever happen in the immediate future, but it would be a pretty cool toy/playset to own someday.

Tycho
09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
The Star Destroyer would only work as a playset. I might buy it in that form. As a $200+ ship, no way, no matter how much I like it.

Why?

Price?

Space for it?

Please discuss...

Oh, and you never specified, the Imperator (ISD Mark II) class or Executor Class (SSD)?

The thread says Imperial SD. Is it Imperator Class? I mean ships like The Devastator (ANH) and The Avenger (ESB), or The Chimera (HTTE). Depending upon how this goes, I'll ask about The Executor later.

I'll eventually discuss prequel trilogy destroyers at some point as well, but the PT still offers many more easily produced and mass-marketed ships that still haven't been done that will keep this thread series much more real.

bigbarada
09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
No, same problem as with the Blockade Runner. Too many shortcuts required to make it affordable. If it's done right, then it would require way more money and living space than I would be willing to sacrifice.

pbarnard
09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
The thread says Imperial SD. Is it Imperator Class? I mean ships like The Devastator (ANH) and The Avenger (ESB), or The Chimera (HTTE). Depending upon how this goes, I'll ask about The Executor later.

I'll eventually discuss prequel trilogy destroyers at some point as well, but the PT still offers many more easily produced and mass-marketed ships that still haven't been done that will keep this thread series much more real.

They're all considered "Imperial" Star Destroyers. Imperator is the Kuat Drive Yard's classification for the model and ship refferred to as ImpStar I's and II's. :thumbsup: Imperial is too generic a term for anything of the Empire.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Based on the vintage design, I wouldn't want them to do something like that. There isn't a whole lot of action that takes place on the actual ships, aside from dialogue and such. All of the features you described, while interesting and potentially fun, weren't actually seen in the films, and I can't see Hasbro doing an entirely "off-screen" Star Destroyer. I can't really see how the design would translate to a good ship with play/diorama areas.

Darth Metalmute
09-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, definitely yes.

Honestly, making this to any sort of scale is impossible. Any play areas inside it would be ridiculous, as well as TIE fighter storage. Make it about twice as big as the BMF Falcon and have the top open up to include the bridge deck that vader walks down in ESB. Yeah, the play area would not be where it should be, but in my opinion it doesn't matter. Make it like those old transforming Micro Machine playsets.

Come to think of it, have it so that the entire top flips up when you pull down on the bridge. Collapsable levels pop up and the top level would be the bridge deck, the second level could have the conference room with room for a meditation chamber, and the bottom level could have a hanger with a catwalk that would fit a TIE Fighter.The platfrom Vader walks on in the bridge would house the conference table in vehicle mode. The catwalk level would provide the strength to hold the top decks. The hanger level is all air so it should all be able to fit in ship mode. Something like this: (Be kind, I used mspaint)

RoonStones
09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
In theory, I would be all for a suped up Star Destroyer playest, be it either Imperial I/II or Executor.

But there's a number of things we have to take into consideration between what we'd like in theory and what Hasbro can make in reality.

1. Obviously the pie-sliced playset from the Vintage line won't work. It didn't really make any sense back then, but back then (1980/1981) we wouldn't see anything bigger until the USS Flagg.

2. We would need a number of locations: Bridge, Meditation Chamber, Crewpit, docking bay, etc. Production is either going to cut corners or mesh them altogether (as the Kenner ISD did), or make it so large to the point where it comes impractical to make.

3. Knowing that it's going to be a huge playset, Hasbro will have it in mind to produce only a small amount, and charge an arm and a leg for it. We'd want a number of bonuses: Piett, Daala, Pellaeon figures, MSE droid, exploding shield generator (?) smaller Imperial landing craft, etc.

I would think that if something like this WERE to be made, it would be sold in modules that the buyer could use as individual playsets, OR put together (a la 1980s MICRO collection) into a larger playset.

But if it were possible to make something with all the bells and whistles, Hell's yeah I'd get one!

pbarnard
09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
2. We would need a number of locations: Bridge, Meditation Chamber, Crewpit, docking bay, etc. Production is either going to cut corners or mesh them altogether (as the Kenner ISD did), or make it so large to the point where it comes impractical to make.

Just so people understand this: the Crew Pit is PART OF THE BRIDGE. Saying you want a Bridge and a Crew Pit is redundant.

Tycho
09-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Based on the vintage design, I wouldn't want them to do something like that. There isn't a whole lot of action that takes place on the actual ships, aside from dialogue and such. All of the features you described, while interesting and potentially fun, weren't actually seen in the films, and I can't see Hasbro doing an entirely "off-screen" Star Destroyer. I can't really see how the design would translate to a good ship with play/diorama areas.

Below is what Lego did for the Venator-class Republic Star Destroyer (perhaps a later poll topic, but I'd suspect the OT version is what people here would go for first and foremost, if any destroyer ship was built to this size).

But something like this could be done for the Hasbro toys, at this scale (but preferably larger) to the 3 3/4" figures. I'd still like to at least get the flat-winged TIE Bomber in the hold there myself. A V-wing or Jedi Starfighter would fit easily in a Republic version. Perhaps some part-retoolings and a repaint could adapt the mold for re-use in this fashion even?

Here's the Lego pic:

JediTricks
09-30-2009, 05:25 PM
That Venator set is extremely chibi on the outside and cramped on the inside. Even the LEGO Star Destroyer is pretty bad, it's a little less cramped but just one big room with a teeny bridge:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isofarro/536942646/sizes/l/in/set-72157600329206871/

Then there's the calculations we did in another thread showing that a playset that could house even a portion of the suggested ideas would have to be 4' tall and 7' long or something like that. I wouldn't buy a Star Destroyer vehicle for 3.75" figures, it's just never going to deliver what I'm looking for. Heck, the GI Joe Defiant Space Launch Complex would be the only thing close, and it was HUGE and a cube.

DarkJedi5
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Nope wouldn't buy it. I'd love to own it but it's just too big I'd never have room to put it anywhere.

Darth Jax
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
don't think i'd buy what you described (which sounds more like a triangular shaped Death Star playset).

Give me a moderately sized wedge sliced ship that houses titanium sized TIE's and a shuttle and i'd consider buying that.

Snowtrooper
09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
If it was made like Tycho described, I'd buy it. It'd be such a massive piece, there's now way I could resist. But realistically, there is no way Hasbro would ever make such a large vehicle nowdays.

A playset would be a more realistic option for this. Basically the bridge, Vader's meditation chamber, and adjoining halls and rooms. It should be lit up with LED lights, have buttons that would cycle through lines and sound effects, and a hologram projector that lights up. A detention area or brig and a room for storing weapons and equipment would be nice additions too. Hasbro could sell this if they put an effort into the details much like they did with the BMF. But given their reluctance to make playsets, its unlikely we'll ever see this.

Devo
09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
This is fantasy land stuff if you don't mind me saying. Absolutely no way Hasbro would make something of this magnitude, I expect it'd cost a heck of a lot more than 200 dollars at retail if any store picked it up. 9ft long, let alone width, height, size of the box AND big enough to house not only all those different rooms but also another 3 3/4 scaled vehicle, in the words of Leonard McCoy "my god man!" Still I guess its nice to talk about such a thing.

All I want is the bridge. Somehow. It could be a vastly underscaled ship with an interior bridge diorama innaccurately contained inside the main body or at least some kind of playset...or worst case scenario one of their usual cardboard dioramas with maybe the odd bit of set dressing. Something, somewhere to put figures like the bounty hunters, Piett, Needa, spare Vaders.

Would I buy it as described in the unlikely (to say the least) event that they made such a thing?.....Quite possibly no. How would I even get it out of the shop let alone find space for it..I mean, I always say to myself "I WILL find a way" but I would have serious doubts on this one.

I would buy a dramatically undersized ship which is only as big as it needs to be to contain a pretty good representation of the bridge and perhaps somewhere to house the 500th figure meditation chamber. I didn't forgive them for downsizing the Sith Infiltrator but I would understand it in this case.

IG 8D8
10-01-2009, 04:30 AM
I agree, it's way too big. You have to consider that customers need to be able to fit this in their car. Also, the fact that it would be so scaled down is a negative. In scale for the 3-3/4" line it's 100 meters/300+ feet long. I don't like the lego style SD either. This is a ship that would be great to have though. A playset of the bridge and med. chamber, done well, is a great idea. I would surely buy that.

mabudonicus
10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know if Devo meant it to be hilarious, but the mental image
storage room for extra Vaders
put a super funny picture in my head, I mean if you bought every one, that area alone would need space for what, 50 figures.

I can't imagine how heavy a 9 foot long toy would end up being, but if it was built to the proper dimensions (scaled to the 9-foot length I mean) it would easily weigh 20-30 pounds with all the reinforcement needed- at 9 feet that would be unwieldy even for 2 full-sized adults.

While it might be the kind of thing I would get were I to win multiple millions of dollars, I would expect I'd have to get it custom made- can you imagine how much steel it would take to build the molds for the thing, let alone how much work the tooling would be?? Even unpainted and unassembled you'd be looking safely far north of 700$ (based on some of the super-large Gundam kits etc)
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Oyes can't wait for the death star thread, I remember JT (I think) figuring it out in 3 3/4" scale once and it was ridiculous- the toy would have to incorporate a transit system to play with it properly, otherwise it'd take you an hour to get from the bridge/command centre to say one of the docking bays

Darth Metalmute
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
All I want is the bridge. Somehow. It could be a vastly underscaled ship with an interior bridge diorama innaccurately contained inside the main body or at least some kind of playset...or worst case scenario one of their usual cardboard dioramas with maybe the odd bit of set dressing.

I think thats the next question. Would you pay 100 dollars for a playset of the Bridge? I imagine it would have to be the Executor Bridge from ESB, as that is the bridge Vader is on.

In my opinion, it would have to have the windows, Vader's walking platform, and the system monitoring sections. The majority of the cost would come from all the figures I would add. Enough engineers to fill all those sections as those figures would not sell on cards.

Oyes can't wait for the death star thread, I remember JT (I think) figuring it out in 3 3/4" scale once and it was ridiculous- the toy would have to incorporate a transit system to play with it properly, otherwise it'd take you an hour to get from the bridge/command centre to say one of the docking bays

I always thought the original Kenner Death Star would be acceptable. I would add more gizmos and gadets to it to update it, but they could re-tool that.

RoonStones
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Saying you want a Bridge and a Crew Pit is redundant.

Well sort of. Yes, crew pit is part of bridge. Then there's that side bridge area - the part where Piett told Ozzel of the probe droid sighting and the place where Vader killed Needa. I was always under the assumption that was another part of the Executor.

I think thats the next question. Would you pay 100 dollars for a playset of the Bridge? I imagine it would have to be the Executor Bridge from ESB, as that is the bridge Vader is on.

Well it would certainly be one suped up bridge, bigger and more elaborate than the Kenner line. I could be easily goaded into buying that alone.

JediTricks
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I honestly doubt there's a single thing they could do to get me to buy an ISD vehicle for the 3.75", and I'm not disappointed by that.

Blue2th
10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
It's just not possible to make the whole thing in 3.75 without it being ridiculously toy like and wonky looking undersized.

I will take an Action Fleet one though that they never made. No figures necessary, just make it detailed like the AF Republic Assault Ship from AOTC.
While your at it Hasbro re-issue that one, and then start making all the capital ships in Action Fleet.

Most impressive, I would be very pleased. :pleased:

Devo
10-01-2009, 07:14 PM
The way I see it theres little point talking about how undersized it would be because of course it would be undersized and massively so. If they made one at all I'd be well pleased because it would no doubt contain a mini replica of the Executor bridge which if I'm right looks much the same on the inside as an ISD bridge. Maybe it would also find room for Vaders chamber and thats really all you need for recreating film scenes - we don't see any other parts of these ships except the Executors hangar bay in ESB:SE but to expect that this toy could be anywhere near the size it would need to be to even house 1 TIE fighter let alone Vaders Shuttle (or the Tantive IV!) is madness.

So forget about this thing being a giant super toy. Forget about its external scale being compatible with existing 3 3/4 vehicles. It seems pointless to even say that this will never happen. Instead imagine a toy that is hardly any bigger than the biggest Star Wars toy we have, a playset/diorama for action figures contained inside a 'ship'...better than nothing. A bonus would be that you can use micro-machine, action fleet or Titanium ships in conjunction with the external vehicle if you happen to have any such things...if not, you still get the display environment for a bunch of figures who are otherwise homeless.

I think thats the next question. Would you pay 100 dollars for a playset of the Bridge? I imagine it would have to be the Executor Bridge from ESB, as that is the bridge Vader is on..

I would. And if putting this inside a hugely underscale ship makes it more marketable I am for that.

IG 8D8
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
For the entire ship I'd settle for a nice sized model. The bridge seems very doable however, and would be great for putting figures in. It's a fairly simple design, and even if they shrunk the size it's something I would buy.

Old Fossil
10-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't buy it, probably. Too expensive, and too big. The biggest ship purchase for me this year is probably going to be the Saga1 TRU exclusive Landspeeder, because it fits on the long, narrow glass shelving I use. I just don't have the room for anything bigger than that anymore.

JediTricks
10-02-2009, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't even buy just a playset. The bridge of the Star Destroyer is a boring place, nothing happens there, there's no action scenes to re-enact aside from flying an A-wing into it. It can't interact with other vehicles, it's just a diorama piece, that doesn't warrant my money.

Devo
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't require it to be an action scene to want to recreate it with a diorama. If I have a collection of figures (as opposed to just, say, 2) I want to give them an accurate film context, somewhere to display them.

Obsession is Nute
10-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes. But I have the Collectors Fleet Star Destroyer...I just don't picture Hasbro making much improvement from that mold.

Tycho
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
The Star Destroyer is losing 10-8 for a "No, don't make this" vote.

Devo
10-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I would only vote no based on how you described it, 9ft long is too unrealistic. They can't possibly make this vehicle with any attention to its scale relationship to other vehicles. It could only be made to be just big enough to have certain interiors which are of reasonable scale to the figures...and they probably won't even do that. But if they did decide to treat us I would accept and buy such a massively scaled down Star Destroyer.

Tycho
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
The Star Destroyer still remains a losing proposition and the vote hasn't changed to reflect otherwise.

It's sad as I really want this and could see myself spending like $700 to customize a really good one for myself. It will then be that long.

sith_killer_99
01-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, it would either be too small to be useful or just too honkin' big. As mentioned earlier, a "Star Destroyer Bridge" play set would be fine, but a full on vehicle...:tired:

I would like to see then do a couple of play sets though...

Star Destroyer Bridge for my bounty hunters.
Death Star Briefing Room for my Imperial Officers and Darth Vader.
Detention Block for my Han/Luke Stormies and Leia.

I'm sure there are more, but it's late and I am tired. lol

aussiedarth
01-18-2010, 05:28 AM
I agree with some of the other posts - it would be friggin' huge and heavy. If I had the aircraft hangar I've always dreamed of owning to display all my collectables, I'd definately buy one. But that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

The only way I could foresee Hasbro making something like this is if they did a Build-A-Vehicle Playset line - have different sections connect to make up one big vehicle/playset. Price wise it would be more affordable. Then people can buy whichever sections they really want to display. For example, the bridge and windows to display Vader, Imperial Officer's etc; the pits for the crew and engineers, Vader's meditation chamber (as seen in ESB); Gunner stations with gunners. The list can go on, but probably draw the line at having 6-8 sets combine to make one giant playset. Also have them with appropriate figures. Probably looking at between $30-$40 per set, but it's a possibility. I'd buy something like that.

It's also something they can re-paint and re-issue for the Clone Wars.

TheDarthVader
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Can not remember if I "voted", but I say YES. I would buy one in most any scale as long as it had a good sculpt and was not too small. :D

Sinscia Fat'o
01-19-2010, 07:10 AM
a few years ago i would have really gotten behind this but with my current station in life theres no way i could even fathom buying something like as cool as it may be...im still up on the air bought the at at so this would be way out of my league.

DarkArtist
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
I would drop the money on a Star Destroyer if it was sold in sections that connected to create a massive playset but now $200 for just a ship. It's tough since the Star Destroyers are some of my favorite ships in the SW universe and it is still to this date one of the most iconic ships. Plus we were all blown away the very first time we saw one of these warships fly over our heads in the opening of ANH.

I really wish Hasbro woould read some of these posts and come to the realization that the fans truly want awesome playsets.

Tycho
01-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I still want the star destroyer pulled off like the 80's GI Joe USS Flag.

That's the goal of how I'd build my custom one anyway.

I still would like to see another company sub-license from Hasbro to try and pull this off. I'd open such a company myself, but I think it's very niche and subject to failure.

Maybe if it diversified and used the Hasbro sub-license to patronize all their properties:

GI Joe - USS Flag re-sculpt or even re-release to cut costs on tooling. Paris playset? Cobra Arctic base?

Transformers - G1 - The Ark and The Nemesis playsets? Mission City diorama / playset? The Valley of the Kings playset from TF2: ROTF?

Marvel Heroes - Hall of Justice playset (or is that DC Comics?) Whatever the Marvel heroes have in that vein.

And maybe branch out to Playmates Star Trek:

USS Enterprise vehicle / massive playset for the 3 3/4" figures. Perhaps other stuff that recurr, like Klingon ships will eventually? The Romulan Narada was a one-shot deal for sure.

Anyway, if the company could just survive long enough to make the ships I want (and I wasn't the one losing money on making that start-up)...

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I really wish Hasbro woould read some of these posts and come to the realization that the fans truly want awesome playsets.

Want and willing to put up the $$$ are two entirely different teams.