PDA

View Full Version : Talents? (music, art, etc.)

PloKoon2385
02-25-2002, 05:40 PM
What kind of talents do people at SSG have? I play the trumpet, have a somewhat artistic ability, and can make my lips in the shape of a halibut...:crazed:

buba-fatt
02-25-2002, 08:11 PM
I play a jaw harp. I have a missing tooth to prove it. I also do a pretty good immitation of Carl Childers and the comicbook guy. I am also blessed with the ability to identify Texas freshwater fish species, while blindfolded, solely on smell. And yet, I remain single.

mabudonicus
02-25-2002, 08:21 PM
I guess I'm an artist- I've painted those wee fantasy miniatures at a competetive level for at least 12 years, I build just about every type of model (mobile suit GUNDAM wins hands down), real and fantasy.
I love music, and play guitar whenever the mood strikes.
Heavy Metal is at the heart of all my endeavours.
In short, I am an amateur professional(heh!).
And since I'm vegetarian I'm a great cook too.
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

PloKoon2385
02-25-2002, 08:36 PM
Um Mabudon, I have been meaning to ask what exactly your avatar is and what it means.

ConvergeDW
02-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Mabudon sounds like a man after my own heart.
I spend upwards of 6 hours a day drawing and rendering.
I have played Bass for 13 years, so, I am constantly active in music, bands and what not, metal bands. i used to skateboard, I have started to goof off on it a bit lately, but nothing crazy anymore.

Darth Rage
02-25-2002, 09:13 PM
I like to Draw, here is one of my pictures I drew with a pencil. I also love working out, making up my own music on the piano =)

2-1B
02-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Nice work, Darth Rage :) Is she based on anyone you know ? :crazed:

Mabudon is a real metalhead - Up the irons ! ! ! ! ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

SithDroid
02-25-2002, 11:56 PM
I act, I sing, I dance, I write, I play the saxophone and guitar and a little bit of piano. I can't draw too well though.

JediTricks
02-26-2002, 01:33 AM
I can imitate the English-dubbed voice of the Rosinjin Scholar tasting judge from Iron Chef.

"The soul of this dish has been hidden by the chef's intentions, it could have been better if he had used more leeks."

Emperor Howdy
02-26-2002, 02:24 AM
Well......let's see. I've been a songwriter for 17 years. I play guitar and sing in a rock band. I do residential and commercial landscape installations, and can design one hell of front lawn. With the exception of plumbing, I could build a house from the ground up, and can work on just about any American automobile. I drink Jack Daniel's....never throw up......quit smoking after 14 years....and have a 4 year degree in Psychology (minor in Sociology) from the University of South Carolina. I applied to 3 Law schools...was accepted to 1....but decided to pursue music instead.....hence the landscaping :eek: ........I've had a looooot of girlfriends, never been married, and NO KIDS! (phew!) I've spent the last seven months learning Spanish due to a Mexican employee, and can juggle 3 tennis balls until someone says "Stop...it's getting on my nerves". I despise hunting because I'm a tree-hugging animal lover, but can hit a target with my .44 as well as any camo'd redneck. I love to fish...both fresh and saltwater, and can stick a Q-tip completely in my ear....causing this weird coughing reflex..........but in terms of talent?.....well.....THIS is my one great talent: In the middle of a conversation with someone, I'll start to dart my eyes around the room and act like I'm getting hot...or sick. At that point (while I'm sitting down), I'll lean forward and start to moan in pain. I then dislocate my shoulder blades (you can hear the pop) and make this crunching sound (with my mouth) as I push my shoulder blades outward, giving the impression of wings growing out of my back. At the same time as all of this, I'm forcing blood into my face, rolling my eyes back in my head (I'm talking totally...only white showing), and inducing a vomit reflex that usually produces a mouthful of mucas...or bile...or whatever. At that point I look up at the person....wings, no pupils, red-faced, and bile, and in my best demonic voice while circling my head quote Evil Dead with "Why have you awaken us from our ancient slumber?".......it's a party classic!!!

Darth Rage
02-26-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Nice work, Darth Rage :) Is she based on anyone you know ? :crazed:

Mabudon is a real metalhead - Up the irons ! ! ! ! ! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks Caesar, I have an entire book I drew of beautiful women, usually from magazine photos. I tell the people who flip through my book that they were my past conquests :rolleyes:

They usually never believe me!

but I draw mostly for familly and friends.

Rollo Tomassi
02-26-2002, 09:06 AM
I have a knack for writing, but that's about it. I used to draw comic book style fairly well, but have gotten out of practice.

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 02:37 PM
The only musical instrument I play is the saxophone. I used to play drums for my friends who thought they were a band.
I have not played it in a good while though.
I love drawing comic book style pics, usually from the SW comics (big surprise).
I used to sit at my desk and draw countless designs, looking for my next tattoo possibility. Never came up with anything worth putting on my skin (so I stuck with SW).
Can do some pretty good imitations, but mostly of my friends and people I work with, so its only funny to my coworkers and my roomate.

good shot jansen
02-26-2002, 03:42 PM
gettin' in tune to the straight and narrow:o

i also play the drums (tho it's been awhile)

got a lot of electric keyboards laying around that i never seem to play anymore.(fender rhodes, yamaha psr 530)

nope just the piano these days

Fulit
02-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
In the middle of a conversation with someone, I'll start to dart my eyes around the room and act like I'm getting hot...or sick. At that point (while I'm sitting down), I'll lean forward and start to moan in pain. I then dislocate my shoulder blades (you can hear the pop) and make this crunching sound (with my mouth) as I push my shoulder blades outward, giving the impression of wings growing out of my back. At the same time as all of this, I'm forcing blood into my face, rolling my eyes back in my head (I'm talking totally...only white showing), and inducing a vomit reflex that usually produces a mouthful of mucas...or bile...or whatever. At that point I look up at the person....wings, no pupils, red-faced, and bile, and in my best demonic voice while circling my head quote Evil Dead with "Why have you awaken us from our ancient slumber?".......it's a party classic!!!

We have GOT to go barhopping together. That sounds like a lot of laughs.

mabudonicus
02-26-2002, 05:24 PM
Yeah, that's a GOOD one, Emperor Howdy!
And Darth Rage, that's some sweet(SWEET!!!) work. I draw comic style stuff(my most recent, ongoing work being a fishing show in comic book form- I think you'd like it, Howdy, it's pretty wry), but that sketch of yers (Rage) is actual art. Right on!!
I forgot impressions, mostly because they're automatic most of the time (Iron chef being one of the more inspirational, my fave being Kenji Fukui- "go, big fella!!")
I can make some pretty good "metal" faces, if we ever meet in person, EH, we'll have to see who wins "ssg metal face". It is fun to cultivate a facial expression that cracks the wearer up whilst making everyone else with line-of-sight supernaturally uncomfortable.(oh yeah, and we've also got to find out who has the quickest "devil horns", with points for form, natch)
Oh, and I like making jokes, but you'd never know from my posts here..........

Jargo
02-27-2002, 09:08 PM
"I have a talent for pressing wild flowers and for the capture and display of rare and interesting insects.
I like to knit novely sweaters on winter evenings and make macramé hanging baskets for my prize aspidistra collection.
Sometimes I practice the ancient art of table napkin folding - but only when I'm feeling frisky and frivolous. :crazed: But mostly I have a talent for painting nudes. Paying someone to sit absolutely still whilst you paint their youthful naked body is a refreshing experience. Almost - envigorating!:stupid: It's just a pain in the backside to have to clean them off afterwards, particularly hard is the removal of red carmine paint from body crevices........."

Actually I have an extraordinary talent for acting. Guess that's why it's my chosen profession. I like to draw silly cartoons, I sing occasionally with a fairly decent folky nasal twang that would make the real ale pubs happy should I ever take up nasal folk song singing as an alternate profession...
I have a flair for interior design and take a great pride in redesigning friends homes for them. I've got an eye for colours and can tell what colour a room needs as soon as I see the room (It's an sensory thing, certain types of building only suit certain colours and people always get it wrong).

I can design furniture and designed most of the furniture in my house. Can't make the danged stuff but I can tell someone how to put it together properly and what materials to use and the rest.

I have a talent for intimate and carnal relationships. had plenty of practice at that to definately be able to say no partners ever dissatisfied :D but we won't dwell on that eh? :happy:

I have a talent for getting arrested or getting stopped frequently by officers of the law. Don't think I set out to be an expert at that but it just somehow turned into a talent for some reason.....

Got a talent for projectile vomiting. Eight feet is my record. hit the bathroom back wall from the top of the stairs at about chest height. Came out like a big solid tube that just did a lovely graceful arc through the air and hit the wall like a slo-mo droplet of water hitting a surface. SPLASH! Fantastic!

Does being able to grow inch long nasal hairs count?

Oh it's good to be back! :D

PloKoon2385
02-27-2002, 10:22 PM
Emperor Jargo, you're BACK! Yaaaay! Hooray! Umm...... why did you decide to come back all of a sudden? If you didn't notice, all of us missed you. Welcome back.:D

Lobito
02-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Soccer!! Thats one talent i think i have...The other one would have to be Video Games...No artistic talents here...just imitating voices. BTW...Wel.com back Jargo.

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Wow, Emperor Jargo. I am most impressed.
The whole vomiting to the back wall thing is very nice.
You should be proud.

I listed some of my talents earlier but I dont think I can top that.
However, I did fail to mention that I used to be gifted in the art of licking my back.
Its easy really....
Just lay flat on your stomach, arch your back up and whip your head around and stretch that tongue out!!
Of course like any talent if you dont use it you lose it.
I have yet to touch my back with my tongue yet.
I guess I just need more practice.

JEDIpartner
02-28-2002, 03:21 PM
I've been writing songs for about 19 years. I'd been some bands since 1986 and got to tour the European continent several times as well as North and Central America. I am primarily a vocalist with keyboarding abilities. I also draw a bit. Currently, I am just taking it easy... playing piano and singing at a local restaurant and various coffeehouses.

Don't call me "Phoebe"... okay? I don't perform "Smelly Cat". :mad:

SithDroid
02-28-2002, 10:52 PM
No, you're like Ross and his keyboard.:D :crazed:

Jargo
03-01-2002, 07:27 AM
OUCH! Sweety, you put those kitty cat claws away now, y'hear me? MIIAAOOWW!!!!! :kiss: :crazed:

Actually that's an intriguing image........ ;)

I forgot to mention that I also design sets for stage shows. Big ones. Musicals and stuff. Sets big enough to hold a cast of sixty. Tricky work considering the safety element, having to add rails and the like to everything because of stupid showgirls who manage to fall off platforms and steps at every given opportunity. Dancers aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the lamp store if you take my meaning. :crazed:
I like to put in revolving stuff and trapdoors whenever because it confuses actors if a door doesn't open the way it ought to :evil:

But I'm an actor too you say? Yeah, but I know how designers think. Plus I'm usually far too busy entertaining to be busy looking at myself and telling other actors how wonderful they are while walking into side lighting stands or set braces or tripping over cables or myself. Actors aren't the most focused people y'know. Away with the pixies most of them. Put an actor in the real world and they flounder around like a fish out of water. :D

Brave Sir Robin
03-01-2002, 12:16 PM
I am a pretty good cartoonist and caricaturist, and I also play the piano and trombone. I enjoy writing "goth" poetry too. Also, though it's not really a talent, I can do really good impersonations of almost anybody.

Jargo
03-01-2002, 02:29 PM
What in tarnatation is 'Goth' poetry? Gothic? or just depressing teen angst dressed up in flowery prose? Poetry taint no good thing for a healthy young man to be partakin' of y'hear? Git out in the sunshine and stop the moping around like the whole world's yer enemy. Why, if ya carry on like that you'll end up one them homerseptuals! :crazed:

Seriously though, what do you mean by 'goth' poetry?

SithDroid
03-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Yeah Emperor Jargo, I'm an actor myself and sometimes I'm affraid to put myself in the same category as them. Most actors I know here in Omaha are pretty cool and down to earth and don't show off for each other. However, I went to a national theatre acting audition a little while ago and it made me ashamed to even be there. Everyone was showing off for each other and trying to "prove themselves" to everyone. It was rather sickening. It was especially noticeable at the dance callbacks. I am one of those lucky actors who can actually dance. Mind you I'm not the greatest dancer in the world, but I can pick stuff up pretty fast and I even took classes for a while. Anyway it was time for the tap audition so everyone puts on their shoes and starts showing off for everyone. Except me. I don't feel like I have to "prove" anything to anyone. It also amazed me at how easy the tap combination was and how fast I picked it up and how a lot of people were having difficulty. Oh well, I guess they "didn't" have anything to prove. Oh well, theatre is not for me anymore. I want to focus on film whether it is directing, cinematography, acting, camerawork, lighting, etc... I wonder Emperor Jargo, are actors over there as "egoscentric" as they are here in the US? These actors with egos IMO have self esteem issues.

master jedi
03-01-2002, 02:41 PM
I have a talent of being annoying.

Jargo
03-01-2002, 04:01 PM
YES YOU DO, SHUT UP ALREADY!!!!!! :mad:

Only joking...:D :p ;)

bigbarada
03-01-2002, 06:13 PM
I draw a little, but am more interested in writing.

Dar' Argol
03-01-2002, 06:42 PM
I've been workign on a comic book for the past 3 years on and off. Its terrible! I get Drawers Block and I have to walk away from it for a couple months. It's like I have the frames already done in my head but I cannot get it to translate to paper the same way. The problem is I am very detailed and anal and if one little thing is not right, it ruins the whole look. I also dabble a little in writing. I have a great idea for a Star Wars novel, I just need to get the correct contacts to see if Lucas will let me write it. :(

Starfig873
03-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Well the Starfig, he's an artist. I draw, alot. I have lots of "real" stuff with prismas and paints and whatnot but my drawings are the only thing that can fit on the scanner :p

So if your really that curious about my stuff, I suggest clicking the link to my site in my sig :)

But here's a pic I did I'm proud of for teaser:
terraceroom.topcities.com/Pics/Noah.jpg
Just copy and paste....bloody topcities won't let me remote link :rolleyes:

I can also belch quite loudly (I'm very proud O that skill. :))
AND I'm fairly good at doing some impersonations. Well..I think so anyways :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Talents:
- Can identify coin types when they're dropped (anyone see that Familt Ties episode?
- Decent drawer (pencil, chalk, pastels, ink)
- Excellent long term memory
- Very patient (guess this is a virtue, actually)
- Scottish accent
- List making
- List making (I'm a really good list maker!)
- Fast walker
- Analytical thinker
- Quick-witted