PDA

View Full Version : The Prisoner

LusiferSam
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, I can't believe there isn't a thread about this. So I was watching The Prisoner last night and saw a commercial for the new Prisoner mini series. I've heard rumors for years about a remake in the works but they always came to not. Now it's really happened. Here's the offical web site (http://www.amctv.com/originals/the-prisoner/). There's also a 9 minute trailer (http://www.amctv.com/videos/the-prisoner/?bcpid=19921019001&bclid=27232151001&bctid=30345659001). Ian McKellen will be playing Number 2 and James Caviezel is Number 6.

I'm really existed. The series looks to be a reimaged series rather than a remake. Many of the original shows motifs are there, like the Village's location (unknown), taxi service (local service only), goodbye ("Be seeing you") and of course who's a guard and who's a prisoner. But a number of the things are changed and/or update. Clothing and the logos are new. The cold war backdrop is gone. Over all it looks very good.

OC47150
10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
The mini-series has been finished for a while. I thought AMC would roll it out sooner than what they have.

I'll tune in.

Maerj2000
10-04-2009, 10:41 PM
If you watch closely, Patrick McGoohan appears in the 9 minute preview. That's a good sign. I think Ian McClellan was an excellent choice, I'll have to watch the show first before making my decision on Caviezel. I like him as an actor, but when McGoohan said 'I am not a number, I am a free man!' you felt it. You believed that *he* believed it. The delivery of the line in the preview didn't feel like that. But, its only 9 minutes and I don't want to cast judgement yet.

Rover is a bit bigger this time around, huh? :D

TeeEye7
10-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Say....is that Rover in the background?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2arbe_yes-love-will-find-a-way_music

Maerj2000
10-07-2009, 05:10 PM
LOL, sure looks like it!

LusiferSam
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
If you watch closely, Patrick McGoohan appears in the 9 minute preview. That's a good sign.

My understanding was Patrick McGoohan had declined participate in any way, shape or form. I've watch the trailer a couple of times now and still haven't seen anybody that looks like Patrick McGoohan. Also I thought he had totally retired years before his death. Let me know about where this 'camo' takes place.

Having watch the trailer a few more times, I really like the line about if they take your mind they always give it back. Something about the really resonates with me. The other thing I've been thinking about is Number 1. Is there a Number 1? And if so who is it?

Maerj2000
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought that he had declined as well, but you can see the new Number 6 talk to him in one quick shot. McGoohan has a beard and its very dark, but I'm pretty sure thats him.

TeeEye7
10-08-2009, 04:27 AM
LOL, sure looks like it!

I thought so. Now we know that Rover moonlights as a rock 'n' roller when not providing security for The Village.

I always admired the creativity for the concept of Rover. Simple, yet creepy. I watched the original Prisoner series as a wee lad and it unnerved me when Rover would enveloped people.

jonthejedi
10-08-2009, 05:04 AM
I was a big fan of the original...always thought in a way it was a logical extension of Secret Agent Man. Ian is a fine choice for #1.

Darth Duranium
10-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I love the original... such a delightfully strange show... glad there's a thread! Not overly impressed with the new Number 6 in the preview... but I will tune in to see if it works or not. McKellar is an excellent choice!

Did you guys know that Rover was supposed to be completely different in the original? It had blinking blue police lights... rare pic below:
McGoohan said "…the first day of shooting, Rover was supposed to go down off the beach into the water, do a couple of signals and a couple of wheelspins and come back up. But it went down into the water and stayed down, permanently."

Looks like the Michelin Man's head... or maybe the head from the giant Stay Puft Ghostbusters dude.

So they wisely went with weather balloons instead!

Be seeing you!

LusiferSam
10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I thought that he had declined as well, but you can see the new Number 6 talk to him in one quick shot. McGoohan has a beard and its very dark, but I'm pretty sure thats him.

That's who I thought you were talking about. That is not him. It's John Whiteley, Number 93. Here's a quick interview (http://www.amctv.com/videos/the-prisoner/?bcpid=19921019001&bclid=27232151001&bctid=30345659001) with him.

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/arts/television/11prisoner.html early review.

jonthejedi
11-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Sadly, McGoohan had already passed away....ruling out any kind of a cameo. Check him out as another secret agent man in John Sturges' Ice Station Zebra. He steals the movie away from the likes of Rock Hudson & Ernest Borgnine. His orig. Prisoner was just that...an original, and I would hazard to say it's one of the 10 best drama series ever attempted for TV. It was only 17 episodes, but had a beginning, middle & an end. Both McGoohan & his character #6(was it John Drake?) never copped out, even to the viewing audience. I have fond memories of the ground-breaking series, hope the new one lives up.

OC47150
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Sadly, McGoohan had already passed away....ruling out any kind of a cameo. Check him out as another secret agent man in John Sturges' Ice Station Zebra. He steals the movie away from the likes of Rock Hudson & Ernest Borgnine.

Ice Station Zebra is a great Cold War movie. I like to watch this one when the temperature hits 100 degrees.

I'm looking forward to the Prisoner.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I watched this tonight. Gandalf vs. Jesus! I see it is just six episodes. That will be nice to have something that will wrap up quickly. I never saw the original. I do recall it being mentioned as an influence for the show Nowhere Man.

I was just looking up Jim Caviezel's bio. I knew he was from Mt. Vernon, WA, which isn't far from here. However, I noticed that his wife's name is Kerri Browitt. She played basketball at Western Washington University while I was there, and I remember her name from when she played in high school for Cle Elum, as some of the county schools here played against them at state. I think she was even an assistant coach at my former high school while she was doing her student teaching, and the head coach was also the track and cross country coach when I was there.

sith_killer_99
11-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, I watched a bit last night, it was REALLY hard to get into, IMO.

LusiferSam
11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I had very high exceptions this and very few of them were meant. Over all I was very disappointed. The writing was disjointed and sloppy. There were a lot of good ideas, most were just executed badly. Giving 6's real named was simply a horrible idea. Sadly I had much of the mystery figured out Sunday night and nearly all of it Monday night.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I've only seen the first two episodes and haven't really figured anything out yet. I never saw the original series, so I don't have that to give me any clues. I do see that Comcast has the original series on demand until the end of the month, but I don't know if I'll have time to watch it. I'm going to try to get through the new series episodes 3 or 4 tonight.

Maerj2000
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I had very high exceptions this and very few of them were meant. Over all I was very disappointed. The writing was disjointed and sloppy. There were a lot of good ideas, most were just executed badly. Giving 6's real named was simply a horrible idea. Sadly I had much of the mystery figured out Sunday night and nearly all of it Monday night.

I found it to be entertaining for the first two nights but as you said, I had it figured out by then too. The ending was the biggest disappointment for me. The symbolism and meaning of the original was almost entirely dropped and it was made into a science fiction story that could have been told in two hours instead of six.

Darth Duranium
11-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I watched the first night and could barely stay awake... they really sucked the life out of a great thing. I was hugely disappointed in the casting of Number 6 but nothing else had any dramatic umph to it... it just didn't work at all and the pacing was dreadfully slow. Nicely shot but totally leaden... agreed, 2 hours would have been enough.

As for the ending of the new version (which I haven't yet seen), the original's ending was so bizarre and upsetting that McGoohan went into hiding for weeks after its release, apparently.
I'd imagine that the new show's ending was equally unsatisfying.... probably even worse, actually.

LusiferSam
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM
As for the ending of the new version (which I haven't yet seen), the original's ending was so bizarre and upsetting that McGoohan went into hiding for weeks after its release, apparently.
I'd imagine that the new show's ending was equally unsatisfying.... probably even worse, actually.

Fallout is a great episode simply because it is so bizarre. McGoohan didn't over think it and went with what he wanted. People finding unsatisfying because they want closer and answers. Fallout raises more questions than answers and doesn't really give any closer.

Checkmate is unsatisfying because it gives closer and answers. Fans of the original show either want or need answers. This is where the writes have failed to understand the Prisoner a it's deepest level. They also have failed to understand what elements are MacGuffins.

jonthejedi
11-19-2009, 05:08 AM
If you really, really watch Fallout until the end...you'll notice the door to 6's flat when he returns(home?). He went from 1 village to an even larger one. That was the point of the show...The Prisoner doesn't really escape, no man is really, completely & unequivocably free.

Darth Duranium
11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I have no issues with any of the ambiguities left behind from the original series... closure can come in many forms. My beef is that Fallout turns into something like the campy old Batman show... a MacGuffin without a satisfying plot twist. To me, it really undermined the serious messages behind Number 6's story. It's like McGoohan freaked out from the pressure and blew the whole thing up, instead of giving us a rational ending in the same style as the rest of the show.

I like that the show was so delightfully weird but the ending still leaves me cold. One thing's for sure: McGoohan had steel cajones to put Fallout out there as the finale.

Do you guys feel that Fallout lived up to the same standard of storytelling as (most of) the rest of the episodes? You honestly weren't disappointed?

jonthejedi
11-20-2009, 08:58 AM
It's not meant to have resolution...I think that was McGoohan's point. I remember years later seeing him on PBS with a group of fans for a question & answer session for one of The Prisoner's many public TV reissues. McGoohan's chain smoking his way through the myriad questions, and one fan asked: "Mr. McGoohan...what will the Prisoner do with his newfound freedom?" Well, McGoohan(turning an evil eye towards the chap because he realized the fellow missed the whole point of the show's message) answered: "He hasn't got it...freedom is a myth." BTW, sadly, sadly disappointed(after sticking out 6 hours) with the remake/reinterpretation on AMC. #6 totally miscast, hated the whole thing, because it just didn't pull me in & grab me; keep me involved or emotionally invested at all. Seemed like they were attacking pharmaceutical companies more than anything else. Ian McKellan was the one saving grace.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Finally finished watching this tonight. I was rather confused through the whole thing, so I certainly didn't have it figured out after the first two episodes. Overall it was okay, but nothing that special. I think that being confused kind of made it less enjoyable, but that is also what held my interest, as I wanted to get to the resolution. There were also a lot of times where I couldn't understand the dialog that well.

I watched the first episode of the original series on Comcast on Demand. I was almost as confused as to what was going in that one as well. I don't know if I'll have time to watch the whole thing as it says it will only be available until the end of the month. That's not a lot of time to watch 16 more episodes.