PDA

View Full Version : Pegwarming figures "destroyed"?

Cane_Adiss
10-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I've come accross Hasbro's Q&A answers to the Sandtroopers.com questions and the last question addresses the fate of the pegwarmers recently pulled by Hasbro's retail reps. Hasbro's answer was somewhat disturbing to say the least:

3) Now that Hasbro has "supposedly" went around to some stores in some areas and removed the "peg warmers" of Yarna, Trinto Duaba, etc. - how long will it be before we can expect those figures to ship in the Legends line?

It is not "supposed" - we *did* have our legions of retail folk pull back a number of slower moving figures including Yarna, Ak-Rev, the Organas, and Cantina aliens in order to remove them from retailer inventory and stimulate shipment of new waves. They are being destroyed and will never ship, in any form, again. Was the comment about Legends just poking fun, or did you think we actually repacked poor-selling figures onto new cards?

I wonder just how they go about destroying them, and if they are recycled in any way? In the past I assumed figures that were collected in this manner were distributed to bargain/ discount chains such as Big Lots or Ollie's. I guess not this time. It seems like a tremendous waste in any case. Perhaps this is something we can bring up in a future Q&A. What do you guys think about this?

bobafrett
10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I guess I blew my chance of getting my hands on a second Yarna figure to open then. Hasbro, send all the ones you pull to me, I will give them a good home, or sell them at a silent auction to rsise money for the American Cancer Society!

DarkJedi5
10-03-2009, 04:45 PM
In theory, I suppose this didn't really surprise me. I had a few high school buddies who worked at Blockbuster. Basically they had that guarantee that they would have certain movies in stock and so would have a bajillion copies of it but when the next flavor of the month came along they would take 90% if them out back and smash them with a hammer. Otherwise the market would have been flooded with copies of American Pie 3 which would have meant the end of civilization as we know it.

Obsession is Nute
10-03-2009, 05:09 PM
This worries me. If the sales for Legacy continue to sag, will that mean fewer collector oriented figures in the future?

Blue2th
10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
When they say "destroyed", I picture Yarna falling into a grinder. :ninja:

She is reborn into a new figure. Yesterday's Yarna, Ak-Rev is today's Ice Cream Maker Guy and so on and so forth. They can really get a sustainable raw material supply going and keep pegwarmer rounder uppers busy. That way the pegwarmers are a renewable resource, less expensive to make, more of them with less risk. It's a win win situation. :Ponder:

Pegwarmers are going Green :thumbsup:

Devo
10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow I don't think they liked that question. The answer seemed to have an angry edge.

They have said there would be fewer collector-only orientated figures but I think this will mean that figures as ''uninteresting'' and as majorly obscure as ICMG are not going to happen anymore; or if they do it will be if they win a fans choice poll. Definitely figures that Hasbro have said they don't want to do or that they have joked sarcastically about at some point will probably not have much of a chance outside of winning a fan poll. They're not going to listen to loud minorities about certain characters in the general selections throughout the year.

I think they'll continue to make characters that are visually interesting and/or have action-orientated angles including cantina aliens, jabbas palace aliens, skiffguards, ewoks, jedi, podrace/ Mos Espa aliens.

Imperials, rebels, clones, battle droids etc are probably a given.

However there are some characters who are neither visually interesting nor action-orientated such as Commander Willard and certain human cantina and jabbas palace denizens (Laudica, Rayc Ryjerd) who I sincerely hope do not come under Hasbro's blacklist of 'Will not Makes' because I've got dioramas to fill and these characters are as important as anyone in those contexts.

DarkJedi5
10-03-2009, 07:46 PM
That way the pegwarmers are a renewable resource, less expensive to make, more of them with less risk. It's a win win situation. Emphasis added.

There's no way it's cheaper to pay some one to go around collect all of these figures (probably buying them or giving the stores a credit for them), ship them all back to China, have a factory melt them down and refine the raw materials just to use them over again. I don't claim to be an expert on figure production but when you're dealing with production in the number Hasbro deals with there's no way a figure made with recycled parts (they're paying twice to make one figure!) is less expensive than one made with new parts.

Blue2th
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
The emptied cargo ships returning to China do carry tons of recyclables. Paper and plastic. Somewhere in that chain there's a shredded Yarna.
At least she's not a total waste. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I guess I blew my chance of getting my hands on a second Yarna figure to open then. Hasbro, send all the ones you pull to me, I will give them a good home, or sell them at a silent auction to rsise money for the American Cancer Society!
You had an entire year in which to get as many Yarnas as you wanted, so I don't want to hear any crying. :p

Really, though, there are one or two still around here. Do you want me to pick one up for you?

bobafrett
10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
You had an entire year in which to get as many Yarnas as you wanted, so I don't want to hear any crying. :p

Really, though, there are one or two still around here. Do you want me to pick one up for you?

If I was still single, I'd say yes, but I have a wife now who I have acked up some, if not most of my loose figures. Thank you anyways.

IG 8D8
10-09-2009, 03:52 AM
interesting, I bet there's a few employees out there who have boxes of unwanted figures in their garage. I wonder why they just don't mark those figures down to 1.00 $ though. It would be better than nothing.

El Chuxter
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
They melted them down. As melted plastic can only be used to make lower-quality figures, they churned out Malakili. When they melt him in a year, they'll resculpt the Neimoidian Warrior, and the cycle of pegwarming shall be complete.

nohagent
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
How about we ask why hasbro is killing us with costs of 69.99 for items that were half that not so long ago? I used to collect for me, now I buy for the kids and I have so much more enjoyment out of that, however how do I explain 69.99 to my wife in this economy?

DarkArtist
10-09-2009, 12:34 PM
This worries me. If the sales for Legacy continue to sag, will that mean fewer collector oriented figures in the future?

that's actually one of my concerns as well. Since Hasbro has been giving us some choice figures that fans have been asking for, some have resulted in pegwarming for months on end (ie Yarna, Galactic Marine, Organas etc.)

that's why I still believe that Hasbro would still benefit from having a collector's club like various companys (ie Mattycollector.com) where certain "Fan-Favorites" would be sold online only and limited in number so as to not clog the pegs thus leaving a spot open for another general release figure. I mean I still can go to stores in the area and see first day Yarna's on the pegs and very few of the new figures.

my other fear is that if Hasbro continues to see the fan favorite figures clogging and sales dropping they might say hey we are only going to make the figures we want and not entertain the fans by giving them their choices of Yarna, Wildrow Hood, Organas, Cantina Aliens etc. we'll just keep pumping out various Lukes, Hans, and vader and continue to release the Legends as well.

I mentioned to Daryl Depriest at Toy Fair this year my idea for a club and he said they were toying with the idea of starting one but did not have the means to undertake the project at this time. hopefully this will soon change and we will be able to see some sort of club start up where these request figures as well as store exclusives can be sold.

El Chuxter
10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
that's actually one of my concerns as well. Since Hasbro has been giving us some choice figures that fans have been asking for, some have resulted in pegwarming for months on end (ie Yarna, Galactic Marine, Organas etc.)

I never saw the Galactic Marine pegwarm (he was released before I completely tired of Clonetroopers), and I can't think of anyone (aside maybe from Tycho asking for fifty for dioramas :D) requesting the fourth version of Bail Organa.

'Course, as I've said before, I never really noticed Breha pegwarming. Yarna is another story altogether.

pbarnard
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM
that's why I still believe that Hasbro would still benefit from having a collector's club like various companys (ie Mattycollector.com) where certain "Fan-Favorites" would be sold online only and limited in number so as to not clog the pegs thus leaving a spot open for another general release figure. I mean I still can go to stores in the area and see first day Yarna's on the pegs and very few of the new figures.

I mentioned to Daryl Depriest at Toy Fair this year my idea for a club and he said they were toying with the idea of starting one but did not have the means to undertake the project at this time. hopefully this will soon change and we will be able to see some sort of club start up where these request figures as well as store exclusives can be sold.

And I know there are some people out there right now they have Hasbro Toy Shop. That really isn't Hasbro. That is really another company, in this case FedEx iirc, who Hasbro has subcontracted to run the logistics. It is not Hasbro. They would still need a new set up, and again, it probably would be subcontracted out to some one like FedEx. Pray to whatever it is you believe/don't believe in that it isn't MasterCollector (who runs the GI Joe and Transformers fanclub).

Going back to the initial point, Hasbro warned us flat out saying they don't see the wide interest of some of the last few figures "we" have said "we" wanted. They seem to give us the occassional obscure and random character and they do alright for the most part.

'Course, as I've said before, I never really noticed Breha pegwarming. Yarna is another story altogether.

I think because those of us in the Midwest more than made up for it. :hurt:

El Chuxter
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Why should I pray the guys who run the TF and Joe clubs don't get the rights? I want all sorts of really crappy repaints of figures sold as overpriced club exclusives! Teek could be a repainted Jan Dodonna and go for $50!

pbarnard
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Why should I pray the guys who run the TF and Joe clubs don't get the rights? I want all sorts of really crappy repaints of figures sold as overpriced club exclusives! Teek could be a repainted Jan Dodonna and go for $50!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. He's here all week folks!!!:yes:

Dom
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Its a shame the cantina aliens never made it over here and they are really expensive on ebay:sad:

Old Fossil
10-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Its a shame the cantina aliens never made it over here and they are really expensive on ebay:sad:

Where are you located?

Maerj2000
10-13-2009, 09:09 PM

Its a shame that they didn't just try marking them down. If they were cheap enough, I would have bought more of them just for the cantina table things that came with them.

Slicker
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
They probably did to them what they did to the ET cartridges for the Atari back in the early 80's and buried them in a landfill in New Mexico.

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 05:53 AM
I wonder just how they go about destroying them, and if they are recycled in any way? In the past I assumed figures that were collected in this manner were distributed to bargain/ discount chains such as Big Lots or Ollie's. I guess not this time. It seems like a tremendous waste in any case. Perhaps this is something we can bring up in a future Q&A. What do you guys think about this?In the past, they were resold on the card with a sticker slapped over the UPC as a 2-card package at KB and other chains, but they weren't liquidated when Hasbro pulled them back. As for being a tremendous waste, yeah, but that's the WHOLE line to a certain extent, they're toys, for our amusement.

This worries me. If the sales for Legacy continue to sag, will that mean fewer collector oriented figures in the future?Yes, and they've already said as much several times in Q&A, they are scaling back the TLC line by about 1 wave and scaling back how collector-oriented it is.

When they say "destroyed", I picture Yarna falling into a grinder. :ninja:

She is reborn into a new figure. Yesterday's Yarna, Ak-Rev is today's Ice Cream Maker Guy and so on and so forth. They can really get a sustainable raw material supply going and keep pegwarmer rounder uppers busy. That way the pegwarmers are a renewable resource, less expensive to make, more of them with less risk. It's a win win situation. :Ponder:

Pegwarmers are going Green :thumbsup:Like many recyclable products such as paper and other plastics, action figures cannot be melted down and reused for something of that quality, they might be able to recycle them into lesser-quality goods, but because of the type of material they use it'll most likely not be recycled at all. Between the hardened plasticizers and the dyes and glue and paints, figures can't even be chopped up into spare toy-grade plastic without expensive heavy refinement, and even then it'll be a "lesser than" material at that point. So no, pegwarmers of today won't be fueling pegwarmers of tomorrow.

Wow I don't think they liked that question. The answer seemed to have an angry edge.IMO, they have every right, the question was disrespectful and presumptive.

Emphasis added.

There's no way it's cheaper to pay some one to go around collect all of these figures (probably buying them or giving the stores a credit for them), ship them all back to China, have a factory melt them down and refine the raw materials just to use them over again. I don't claim to be an expert on figure production but when you're dealing with production in the number Hasbro deals with there's no way a figure made with recycled parts (they're paying twice to make one figure!) is less expensive than one made with new parts.
My favorite part is the question's assumption that Hasbro is somehow buying back the product, sending it back to china, and having factory crews remove the figures from their old packaging to put them in NEW packaging!

interesting, I bet there's a few employees out there who have boxes of unwanted figures in their garage. I wonder why they just don't mark those figures down to 1.00 $ though. It would be better than nothing.High volume. In lower numbers, it'd be beneficial to clearance them out, retailers don't make profit but they don't lose money and they clear shelves. However, these figures in some markets already went through clearance cycles and still pegwarmed hard, it'd take up too much pegspace and employee time just to make zero profit.

that's why I still believe that Hasbro would still benefit from having a collector's club like various companys (ie Mattycollector.com) where certain "Fan-Favorites" would be sold online only and limited in number so as to not clog the pegs thus leaving a spot open for another general release figure. I mean I still can go to stores in the area and see first day Yarna's on the pegs and very few of the new figures. That could end up doubling or tripling the pricing of those figures before you even get to shipping though. There are already a mountain of exclusives as it is, it's gotten to the point where there's actually consideration for competition in THAT market, and at these prices that's extremely risky because there are a lot of folks who would balk at a $20 Yarna figure, and then Hasbro is left with mold costs that are never going to see returns AND backstock they have to move or destroy within a year to avoid getting hit with backstock taxes. It's a rough business model, and every time Hasbro's tried it with SW it's fallen apart for one reason or another.

'Course, as I've said before, I never really noticed Breha pegwarming. Yarna is another story altogether.'Round here, Breha pegwarmed pretty hard, mostly at Target and TRU.

El Chuxter
10-15-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't disbelieve everyone who says that. I've just not seen that being the case around here, and it seems odd that local collecting habits would differ so much just on one seemingly random figure.

Heck, as rarely as I saw Breha, I think I saw Bail maybe once.

Cane_Adiss
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't disbelieve everyone who says that. I've just not seen that being the case around here, and it seems odd that local collecting habits would differ so much just on one seemingly random figure.

Heck, as rarely as I saw Breha, I think I saw Bail maybe once.

The ROTS wave didn't pegwarm too bad around here. Mostly Stass Allie and Breha. Stass sold through eventually and Breha had a couple sitting at the various stores in my area until Hasbros reps came around. Bail was never a problem.

The problem around here unfortunately was Pons Limbic and Yarna. Trinto/ Dice sold through no problem and Wioslea suprisingly did ok too but for some reason Pons sat. I thought he'd be the most "kid" friendly of the 3. Ak-Rev also wasn't a problem.

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Bail was a slow mover here, but not like Breha.

We had trouble with Yarna and Ak-Rev as well as Breha. Ak-Rev at Target was sometimes worse than Yarna.

bigbarada
10-15-2009, 11:47 PM

If you still want these then I found a Wal-Mart today that still has several Yarna's and Ak-Rev's on the pegs. I had actually never bought a Yarna for myself (I picked up two for my brother when they first came out), so I bought one today.

But if you are really interested in the rest, then I'll let you know exactly how many are there and you can PayPal me the money to buy them and mail them to you.