PDA

View Full Version : Edwards AFB Open House

TeeEye7
10-03-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.edwards.af.mil/

October 17, Edwards AFB is hosting its annual Flight Test Nation Air Show and Open House. Open to the public and admission is free. Times are 7AM to 4PM. If you need a phone number it's: 661-275-2852.

Edwards is tucked in the southeast corner of my county, and for all the zillion of years I've lived here I've never been able to go (mainly because I worked week ends until now). As luck would have it, I'm on call that weekend, but I'm going to see if one of my colleagues will cover for me so that I can finally attend.

I just thought I'd bring this to your attention (especially SoCal-ers and Central Valley-ites) in case you might be interested. It's about a 90 minute drive from LA (and about the same for me). Check out the website for the low-down!

Darth Cruel
10-10-2009, 12:31 AM
My father-in-law works at Edwards and we usually take in the show. He hasn't mentioned it this year so I assume he is not going (he may have watch that day). Thanks for the heads-up and let me know if you are going to make it and we can meet if you want to.

TeeEye7
10-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm still working on getting one of my colleagues to cover my on-call shift for Saturday. It may take a day or two to get someone to commit. I'll PM with details as I learn them. Making a meet sounds cool!

TeeEye7
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
My father-in-law works at Edwards and we usually take in the show. He hasn't mentioned it this year so I assume he is not going (he may have watch that day). Thanks for the heads-up and let me know if you are going to make it and we can meet if you want to.

My uncle was stationed at Edwards "way back when". He was an air controller.

We went to visit one Sunday and my uncle was allowed to take my dad, brothers and me on a tour of the tower. I'll never forget the high-speed elevator that took you almost to the top (you then had to hustle up two flights of stairs). When the elevator car stopped, you literally jumped up from the momentum!

It was a tremendous view of the desert from up there!

Darth Cruel
10-13-2009, 04:18 PM
My uncle was stationed at Edwards "way back when". He was an air controller.

We went to visit one Sunday and my uncle was allowed to take my dad, brothers and me on a tour of the tower. I'll never forget the high-speed elevator that took you almost to the top (you then had to hustle up two flights of stairs). When the elevator car stopped, you literally jumped up from the momentum!

It was a tremendous view of the desert from up there!

Very cool. I am not quite sure what my father-in-law does. Something with radar software.

TeeEye7
10-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I had to work an officer involved shooting last night around 2AM (after getting off work at midnight). Got back home about 11:30 this morning. Waaaay to tired to stroll around the tarmac after all of that. My luck is holding. I'll try again next year.