PDA

View Full Version : Tie Interceptor TRU exclusive version

AmanaMatt
10-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Didnt see a thread on this anywhere here, so figured I would start the thread... this 'movie accurate' Tie Interceptor is light years ahead of every prior version Hasbro has done...

I pulled out the previous POTJ version I owned to compare the two and its pretty amazing how different they look......

Hard to believe that I've been collecting the Modern Line since 1995, but even more shocking, it took until 2009 for Hasbro to produce a truly movie accurate version with accurate cockpit....

The wait was worth it....Considering there is soo little made of the classic stuff that gets me excited, this is my 'BMF' toy for the year.

And while the price point is $10 more than I expected, I cannot say that I am disappointed or regret the decision.....($50 is a lot of money though)

In fact, I own the Tie Bomber, the first 'BIG SCALE' Tie Fighter and the 'white version Big Scale' version, this is probably my fav....

morpheus282
10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I've been considering the new TIE interceptor, haven't made a decision on it yet. The pictures I've been seeing on various sites look great, but as you say $50 is a lot of money. I've got the blue big wing TIE and the grey bomber, and my kid picked up the blue bomber at a con we went to last year. We're definately missing an interceptor for our Imperial fleet. I think I still have the old Kenner one boxed up somewhere, but its current location eludes me.
Can you give me an idea of the size? Did they reuse most of the existing molds?

DarkJedi5
10-04-2009, 12:41 PM
If you think about it I don't think the $50 price tag is too unreasonable. A carded figure costs almost $10 bucks these days anyway and with the new tooling they had to use to make the cockpit from scratch it should be no less that $40. Granted, the cockpit will no doubt be used in countless TIE reissues (actually already is being used for the SOTE TIE) so they will make their money back in spades eventually. And considering that TRU is charging $70 for the new gunship with new doors and guns, this doesn't seem so bad.

Turbowars
10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Picked one of these up yesterday and I'm very happy with it. The interior seems movie accurate and it looks like the whole pod is new with better/stronger spring action on the wings. On the bottom of the wings Hasbro added a little lip so that the ship can sit straight.

Why do the guns slide in and out?

The price is high, but since I don't buy that much hasbro stuff these days it's OK.

morpheus282
10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I would probably agree that it's worth $40, but $30 or so would probably get Hasbro and the retailer the profit they needed to make it a successful venture. TRU has never been known for reasonable prices on toys, and the $70 gunship is a prime example of that. The last two vehicles I bought at the $50 level were last year's WM gunship and the Red 2 X-wing. I thought both were a little over priced, but the gunship was something I'd passed on before and seen the price increase, even on the secondary market. I'm very pleased with it, but I probably won't buy another. The Red 2 X-wing is the same story. It's the same mold that's been released several times in the past, I missed it every time due to the price, but this one included two figures (a new Wedge!) and the ladders. I'm pleased with it, but I probably won't bite on the next X-wing release. All the images of it I've seen so far look fantastic, but I'll probably bide my time and wait for TRU to clearance it down at least $10.

Devo
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
This looks very nice but I'm not entirely sure I need it. I never really had a problem with the POTJ one apart from the 'handle' cockpit ball. Since I'm not fleet-building for the imperials one passable older TIE interceptor may be enough for me as a representation of that vehicle. The reason I don't fleet-build Imperial starfighters is they are not diorama friendly - they are mostly only seen in flight unlike the rebel starfighters which are seen parked in busy hangar bays with loads of characters and troop transport vehicles, vehicle maintenance energisers, tauntauns etc. Thus I multiple purchase X-wings, Y-wings and A-wings but not TIEs. However I still don't have a single big winged TIE. I am pondering the SOTE version as the red glass doesn't look that bad to me.

DarkJedi5
10-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I snagged this one today and I'm really happy with it. The TIE Interceptor is my favorite TIE of all time and this is my first movie accurate one. I got the TRU 181st one from a while back but this one is a really really great version. I've already got a big wing TIE but the next time the release a movie accurate one with the new cockpit I'm all over it.

AmanaMatt
10-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Can you give me an idea of the size? Did they reuse most of the existing molds?

Here is a pic with the old POTJ release, Tie Bomber and new Interceptor

Lord, my green counter is embarassing!!!!

Give how much I am loving the new cockpit/pod section, I may pick up a BIG WING Tie when they re-release it using that middle section.

I will be honest, when I first bought this new one, I was kinda mad I jusitifed the newness elements of it regardless of its price....but that feeling lasted for two days....its probably my favorite Hasbro ship to date, aside from the BMF of course

Dark Marble
10-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I just picked this one up on Saturday for my birthday and I have to say i am impressed. This one will go with my 181st interceptor and I don't think I will ever be on the prowl for another interceptor ever again. This new one is that good. The price absolutely stinks but it is a treat to get it out of the box and see how far the vehicles have come since my day when Star Wars was brand new.

Final verdict here for me is the $50 price tag is high but the ship is worth your dollars if you have the means. This one is what being an OT collector is all about.

morpheus282
10-05-2009, 11:04 AM
So it's mostly the same outer hull and wings, ergo the size hasn't changed much over the years. I've always thought this was one of the few vehicles that's almost correctly in scale with the figures, so I'm glad it hasn't gotten smaller or larger.

I'm still a little hung up on the $50 price tag, but I may end up changing my mind. My primary 'wants' right now are the AT-ST and dewback, once they're out of the way I may go for the interceptor.

Dark Marble
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I saw that question up there and meant to jump in on it. Yes it is the same size with the wings being what has come out on all the other ships since the POTJ release. They do seem a little more sturdy to me though...

The body is what is really significant. They did everything right here as the cockpit is completely redone! The pilot is the evolutions figure which, to me, is more accurate than the evolutions figure as it does not have the painted lines on the face mask. But like you said, the price is high and there is no getting around that.

Old Fossil
10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd buy it at $30, but at $50 they're just insulting me.

DarkJedi5
10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd buy it at $30, but at $50 they're just insulting me.

$30! The basic vehicle line is practically at $30 and while this is about 40% rerelease it's still a bigger toy and it comes with a figure. I think $45 would be ideal but I'm not too upset about throwing down fifty for it.

Old Fossil
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
$30! The basic vehicle line is practically at $30 and while this is about 40% rerelease it's still a bigger toy and it comes with a figure. I think $45 would be ideal but I'm not too upset about throwing down fifty for it.

And $30 for the basic vehicle line is only slightly less insulting, IMO. At that price the basic vehicles should include a figure.

AmanaMatt
10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
$30 isnt realistic in this day and age. I honestly figured $40 and would have considered that 'fair.' $50 is high without question, but glad I got this...proably the last Tie Interceptor I will ever get unless they do something to the vehicle line that blows my socks off....

Turbowars
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
So it's mostly the same outer hull and wings, ergo the size hasn't changed much over the years. I've always thought this was one of the few vehicles that's almost correctly in scale with the figures, so I'm glad it hasn't gotten smaller or larger.

I'm still a little hung up on the $50 price tag, but I may end up changing my mind. My primary 'wants' right now are the AT-ST and dewback, once they're out of the way I may go for the interceptor.
The hull is 100% all new in and out. Like I said above the wings connect better and the spring seems stronger. Still would like to know whats up with the guns that slide out on the lower front.

morpheus282
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
The guns are an action feature designed to appeal to the younger crowd, kinda like the ones that slide out on Vader's TIE.

Old Fossil
10-05-2009, 07:12 PM
$30 isnt realistic in this day and age.

Why not? Last year's Wal-Mart exclusive A-Wing was $30. It had a retooled cockpit and a pilot.

Perhaps one could argue that all-new tooling on the Interceptor somewhat justifies the $50 price. To that I point out that this year's Wal-Mart exclusive Octuparra droid, an all-new piece of similar size, is $35.

I have no problem with anyone who's willing to pay $50 for the Interceptor, but I'll never be convinced it should've been priced above $30-$35.

morpheus282
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Good points, but you have to remember the biggest of all. TRU always jacks their prices up. I guess Wal-Mart can afford to have a lower profit margin on toys, but it doesn't change that the new gunship is now $70 and in no way has $20 worth of new tooling.

Old Fossil
10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Good points, but you have to remember the biggest of all. TRU always jacks their prices up. I guess Wal-Mart can afford to have a lower profit margin on toys

Absolutely agreed, and that's probably why TRU is still sitting on a year and a half's worth of SW inventory, and are daily getting their clock cleaned by Wal-Mart.

TheDarthVader
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Can someone post some pictures of this thing?

morpheus282
10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
There's a bunch of pics over at rebelscum and galactichunter that do a great job of showing it off. I don' recall seeing similar pics over here though. There's a great pic earlier in this tread of the old and new interceptors along with a TIE bomber.

If the ROTJ wave or AT-ST doesn't show up before I find this sucker, I'm probably going to end up buying it.

JediTricks
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Why do the guns slide in and out? Some versions of the TIE props have the guns in while others have them out. Hasbro's TIE mold here was designed for multiple uses, so they left it optional for the user. Here's a good example of the cannons sticking out:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Tiefighterfull.jpg
And here's where they're definitely not:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Tieinter2.jpg
The EU of the '80s and early '90s used to make a distinction on the TIE Interceptor's guns being not cannons, but dummies (or even micro-rocket ports) while the wingtips had the true cannons. I don't believe it does anymore though, and those are now considered blaster cannons again. (DORK ALERT!)

The only thing that's roughly the same is the wings, the pod is 100% new, different and better to scale, a more accurate interior cockpit.

The wings on the original toy were too small to scale with the pod, but this looks closer to scale. I always thought it seemed close to scale with the figs too, but it's not as close as I used to think. Technically, this is still about 25% too small, but I don't draw the comparison.

morpheus282
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
We've seen a lot of vehicles whose scale was just wrong. Small wing TIE, original X-wing, original Falcon mold, etc., but it just seems that some are closer than most. Vader's TIE from the Kenner mold always seemed about right, as did the B-wing. Even though we know they're supposed to be a little bigger, they're still more in proportion than some of the others. The TIE interceptor along with the big wing TIE and the new X-wing mold just feels better. Here's hoping we get a new OT Y-wing soon.

sonofsokol
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I saw this at Toys R Us in Utah, but passed on it. I had just found and purchased the Octuptarra Droid at Wally World for only $25 ($10 off) on the clearance rack:thumbsup: which made $50 for this seem a bit too rich for me. I was temted and it does look pretty cool. I was suprised how small the box is.

Also of note, my Toys R Us moved the "Disturbance at the Homestead" to the clearance area, but it is still $29.99... maybe if it drops to $19.99. Just maybe... They have about a dozen of them and it seems like they have had about a dozen of them for a loooong time.

morpheus282
10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
You found the Octuptarra already clearanced? Wow, it's just hitting the shelves in my Wal-Marts. Still haven't seen the interceptor on the shelf yet. I'm with you on the Lars homestead. I can't see paying even $30 for two figures I've owned for over a decade, an army builder, another vaporator, and the hovel. If it does hit $20 I'll probably snag one.

As far as the interceptor's box, size matters not.

sonofsokol
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I was shocked to see it on the clearance rack and at a clearance price too since I had not yet seen tham at that store before last night. Its almost as if they just went straight from the backroom to clearance.

Old Fossil
10-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I saw where Target has an exclusive big-wing TIE with the new cockpit (pilot included) for $39.99. A much better value IMO.

JediTricks
10-10-2009, 04:15 PM
You found the Octuptarra already clearanced? Wow, it's just hitting the shelves in my Wal-Marts. WM is weird, clearance is at the discretion of the toy dept manager and once in a while you'll find new items put on clearance. I got a Superman electronic figure for $5 instead of $20 a few years back that had just hit shelves, and all the other stores including other WMs had just started selling it normal price.

As far as the interceptor's box, size matters not.Having seen this in person now, I would disagree, for $50 it's too small a package and very lightweight, it feels like you're not getting your money's worth, and that's a perception problem for casual consumers, it doesn't feel or look like something someone would plunk down that much cash for. It's even worse if they comparison-shop it because the Target-exclusive TIE Fighter that just came out is significantly bigger and yet $10 cheaper.

I put the TIE Int on my xmas gift list, but immediately took it back off when I considered how annoyed a family member would be to buy that small thing for that much money, it'd be embarrassing for me to ask for such an inconsequential thing, they want to get a thing that has "wow" factor and the Interceptor's box doesn't have it.

morpheus282
10-10-2009, 06:33 PM
As I've said before, I'm thinking of waiting for it to be clearanced out after Christmas before seriously considering it. By that time the Lars homestead pack should be down to $20 as well.

JediTricks
10-10-2009, 06:58 PM
The funny thing is, if it was $40, I probably would have bought it, but $50 is just too far. This thing shouldn't be more than $35 though, it's an existing set of wing molds, an existing figure, and a new cockpit, all in a small box, with a really simple deco.

Turbowars
10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah but the Cockpit is cool! You should have Steve buy it for you, you deserve it with all the work you do here. :whip:

morpheus282
10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
From the pictures I've seen, the cockpit is indeed cool but not $50 worth of cool. I'm with JT on this one, $35 is about the right price point for it. Take into consideration the GI Joe Night Raven - it looks to be a completely new sculpt from the 80's version (my apologies if I'm wrong, I never owned the old one and I don't currently collect Joe), comes with a figure, and is priced at ~$40. I know it's a different toy line and all, but I'm only comparing value for the buck. The only new tooling on this one is the cockpit module, and the only reason I can see for it being $50 is that it's at TRU. If I was buying one as a gift and had the option of the $50 TRU interceptor or the $40 big wing TIE at Target, it would be a no brainer.

Update: I just did some quick googling and found out the Night Raven has lights and sounds and is still at the $40 price point, even at TRU.

Turbowars
10-11-2009, 02:38 PM
3 things that contribute to the high cost.

#1 Lucas LTD license
#2 New tool
#3 TRU

morpheus282
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Those are probably correct in the order of effect on raising the cost.

TheDarthVader
10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
where can these be found other than the store? i don't think tru has these listed online yet. someone might have to buy one for me. =)

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 04:32 PM
3 things that contribute to the high cost.

#1 Lucas LTD license
#2 New tool
#3 TRUIMO, none of that should really be a huge impact except TRU exclusivity. The tooling cost is already spread across 2 sets out the gate, the license costs are spread across the entire line. So it's about shelf real-estate and exclusivity, and since it doesn't even take up all that much space, it's really about exclusivity and what TRU wants to charge for it. TRU has a really crappy track record this year after the $80 deluxe vehicle asst pricing that was $20 over MSRP.

Old Fossil
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Totally agree, JT. I gave this thing a good look last weekend, and by its "heft" alone it's (as I've said) MAYBE a $35 vehicle. I understand the folks who don't mind being taken for a ride a little by TRU, as it is a nice OT vehicle and the best version of the Interceptor yet; but I won't be going on that ride, myself.

Turbowars
10-15-2009, 11:37 PM
IMO, none of that should really be a huge impact except TRU exclusivity. The tooling cost is already spread across 2 sets out the gate, the license costs are spread across the entire line. So it's about shelf real-estate and exclusivity, and since it doesn't even take up all that much space, it's really about exclusivity and what TRU wants to charge for it. TRU has a really crappy track record this year after the $80 deluxe vehicle asst pricing that was $20 over MSRP.You might think that, but you know damn well it does. Hasbro has always hung the Lucas License over our heads and anytime there is a New tool, hasbro states it's very expensive. Whether it is or isn't we don't really know.

JediTricks
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I have never seen tooling costs claimed to be impacted by Lucas' license, and I've been forced to read all 4,000 questions from Q&A. They always attribute cutting metal as their chief costs, then design, then manufacturing, then maintenance.

Turbowars
10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
I have never seen tooling costs claimed to be impacted by Lucas' license, and I've been forced to read all 4,000 questions from Q&A. They always attribute cutting metal as their chief costs, then design, then manufacturing, then maintenance. I never said tooling costs claimed to be impacted by Lucas' license. Tooling is separate from licensing. Tooling is expensive no matter what brand or item you are making, but I know you know that.:thumbsup:

morpheus282
10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
If you're wondering about tooling vs. licensing costs, compare the GI Joe and Wolverine lines to Star Wars. Looks to me like Marvel is ripping someone a new one on the licensing for Wolverine figures and GI Joe is getting a ton of new tooling and accessories for about $1.50 less than us poor Star Wars fans. I'm sure Lucas is getting a pretty decent cut of the profits from the toys, but in the case of this TIE I think we can all agree that it's the TRU markup killing the price.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:35 AM
I never said tooling costs claimed to be impacted by Lucas' license. Tooling is separate from licensing. Tooling is expensive no matter what brand or item you are making, but I know you know that.:thumbsup:Yeah, but license fees are the same across the board, that was my point, the only real unique factor to this set is the TRU exclusivity, that Lucas' grubby hands are on the Target TIE Fighter just as much and the tooling is the same issue on that one as well. TRU is choking their aisles with our dead.

pbarnard
10-30-2009, 11:05 AM
If you're wondering about tooling vs. licensing costs, compare the GI Joe and Wolverine lines to Star Wars. Looks to me like Marvel is ripping someone a new one on the licensing for Wolverine figures and GI Joe is getting a ton of new tooling and accessories for about $1.50 less than us poor Star Wars fans. I'm sure Lucas is getting a pretty decent cut of the profits from the toys, but in the case of this TIE I think we can all agree that it's the TRU markup killing the price.

Based on what? Hasbro has stated from here on out all their 3.75" ish figures will be the same price point recomended by them. If retailers make it different, it's on them. That means for Hasbro/retailers the only line without a license fee hidden in the costs would be GI Joe. They're really ripping you a new one if you pay 7.99 for the Joe figure and only paying 2 (retailer and Hasbro and their respective costs) entities, but you're paying 3 entities if you buy a SW or Marvel figure. As a long time GI Joe and SW collector, when budget was tighter, joe purchases went up because they stretched the dollar farther. There is no way after the past decade where the cost per GI joe figure was half of a Star Wars figure can you turn to me now and say they're equal in terms of hidden costs. I understand Fat Guy in Flannel gets his cut, but who's getting the cut of all the extra increase in the GI Joe figures? It was just a flat choice by Hasbro to increase their margins on one line. That's all.

Old Fossil
02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
My TRU is still sitting on a few of these, still at regular price.:rolleyes: Looks like they're gonna have 'em for a while yet.

mtriv73
02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
G
Based on what? Hasbro has stated from here on out all their 3.75" ish figures will be the same price point recomended by them. If retailers make it different, it's on them. That means for Hasbro/retailers the only line without a license fee hidden in the costs would be GI Joe. They're really ripping you a new one if you pay 7.99 for the Joe figure and only paying 2 (retailer and Hasbro and their respective costs) entities, but you're paying 3 entities if you buy a SW or Marvel figure. As a long time GI Joe and SW collector, when budget was tighter, joe purchases went up because they stretched the dollar farther. There is no way after the past decade where the cost per GI joe figure was half of a Star Wars figure can you turn to me now and say they're equal in terms of hidden costs. I understand Fat Guy in Flannel gets his cut, but who's getting the cut of all the extra increase in the GI Joe figures? It was just a flat choice by Hasbro to increase their margins on one line. That's all.

You're assuming they're selling the same number of units for every buck invested in molds. While there is a lot of recycling of sw parts and figures, it's nothing compared to what gi joe is. Plus, for all we know they were selling twice as many of each joe that came out further reducing cost of tooling per unit and meaning they can sell for much less (encouraging even more sales) and still turn a decent profit.

mtriv73
02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
My TRU is still sitting on a few of these, still at regular price.:rolleyes: Looks like they're gonna have 'em for a while yet.

I bought one at regular price with no regrets. If it ever is clearanced, I may buy a few more.

TheDarthVader
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I want the interceptor sooooo bad. But $50 online is sooooo expensive. :(

morpheus282
02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I can't see paying another $50 for another TIE right now either. I would like to have it, but that's half an AT-AT...

gba88
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I used a coupon a while back and got it for what turned out to be $40. I don't regret it at all at $40.

DarkJedi5
02-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I've got no regrets shelling out $50 for this the first time I saw it. The new pod is fantastic, the wings are the best that there are and the pilot without the ace stripes is a figure I wish I had five more of. I don't think I'd buy another (this was my second Interceptor, the first being the 181st one), but I'm very happy with it.

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Of the star fighters (ignoring speeders) of the OT I lack the B-Wing and TIE Interceptor only. It's the exclusive nature that is preventing me from buying because I don't see why I should have to shell out the exclusive mark up of what essentially is a ~30-35 ship once upgraded for size and features. I guess I'll be without for a long time coming.

bigbarada
02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I was considering buying this, but there is one fatal flaw from the previous version that I've never liked and that's the tendency of the wingtips to warp and point in all different directions.

I have no problem paying $50 for this, since the Interceptor has been one of my favorite vehicles for about 27 years now, but I'm waiting to see some photos from people who already own it to see what the wingtips look like.

Again, I have no problem with the price (I'm a firm believer that if price is a deterrent, then I never really wanted it to begin with), but won't pay that if the wingtip warping is still a problem.

morpheus282
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
The new pod is fantastic, the wings are the best that there are and the pilot without the ace stripes is a figure I wish I had five more of.

Be patient, Hasbro will repack it before it's over with.

DarkJedi5
02-13-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm sure they will, no doubt, I just think it's a big selling point for the Interceptor as well.

bigbarada
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, I went to the TRU in Springfield and they still had several of these, so I decided to just go ahead and buy it. I didn't realize that they came with both versions of the TIE Pilot helmet (striped and non-striped), and I only found one non-striped version, so I decided to get that since I already had the striped version from the new TIE Fighter.

Once opening it up, I did notice that the wings looked smaller in comparison to the SOTE TIE, but it doesn't look bad at all. Just more like a toy and less like a prop replica.

My biggest concern was the wing tips and I was very happy to see that they weren't noticeably warped at all. They all point in the same general direction and you don't end up with that "blooming flower" effect that annoyed me so much with the POTJ TIE Interceptor.

This has always been one of my favorite vehicles (the very first ROTJ item I owned as a kid was the Interceptor model kit) and I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it at full price. This is one of those instances where I feel that Hasbro deserves every penny of the price for this toy.

Old Fossil
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it at full price. This is one of those instances where I feel that Hasbro deserves every penny of the price for this toy.

Would you have paid $60 for it?

bigbarada
02-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Would you have paid $60 for it?

That's a tough call. If I had the money to spare, then I would only feel mild regret at paying $60. As it is right now, I only had $150 in my bank account and I don't even miss the $55 (with tax) that I spent on the Interceptor last weekend.