PDA

View Full Version : Qui-Gon Jedi Armour

Sidiously Darth
02-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Well, I finally bought this figure yesterday. Man, am I a little disappointed. I thought he might be good for sparing w/ Obi Jedi Training but nooooo! There's no arm articulation to allow for a 2-handed grip. I guess I should have kept up w/ the reviews of this figure back when it came out.:rolleyes:

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it's best to leave the Qui on the side lines or something and let Maul & Obi fight it out. :D It's funny, the Obi was almost fully canceled due to the Cold Weather Obi but they decided to go ahead and make it and both Obi figures turned out better than Qui. :D

Turbowars
02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Heck, I'm disapointed that Hasbro produced these POTJ EU figures. I mean I have them, but instead of wasting thier time with EU figures we could of got a few more Classics before the POTJ line died.

Rollo Tomassi
02-25-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah. I'd have rather had a nice Crix Madine figure instead. Or a Cloud Car Pilot. Maybe an Imperial Dignitary. Or a Wooof. A Chief Chirpa might have been nice. I don't know, an Echo Base tech?

Lord Tenebrous
02-25-2002, 10:39 PM
There was something that bothered me about the Jedi Armor figures, and I could never put my finger on it, until now. Male characters in Star Wars rarely, if ever change clothes. Now, if they did something like a Security Training Amidala, that would've been credible.

As far as figures to put in the place of these, definately Sei Taria, Crix Madine, and a POTJ-style Yoda.

Tycho
02-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Luke has plenty of wardrobe changes...

Anyway, I still like the idea of EU figures but why not ones that are from the comics and books and have larger fan followings?

There's already an EU demand thread for new characters running in the Dear Hasbro Section, if you are inclined to support this idea, add your voice to the demand so Hasbro hears you! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2747)

I might add here that if Hasbro wanted to do main movie characters that were recognizable even in Expanded Universe costumes, there were:

Luke as Jedi Master (NJO - Onslaught)
Leia as New Republic Chief of State (Black Fleet Crisis)
Han from New Jedi Order (Hero's Trial)
Han in environmental suit (Balance Point)
Leia in environmental suit (Balance Point)
Luke as Talon Karrde's Prisoner (HTTE)
Leia in Jedi Training Gear (Heir to the Empire)
Lando as Nkklon Mining Baron (Heir to the Empire)
Lando as Coruscant Guard (Shadows of the Empire)
Leia as Xizor's Prisoner (Shadows of the Empire)
Luke as TIE Fighter Pilot (Dark Force Rising)
Luke in Pirate Disguise (Specter of the Past)

Obi-Wan as Jedi Trainee (Jedi Apprentice Books)
Obi-Wan as Bandomeer Slave (The Dark Rival)
Ki-Adi Mundi in Tatooine Peasant Disguise (Outlander)
Ki-Adi Mundi as Emissary to Malastare
Aurra Sing as Jedi Padawan

and so forth.

Darth Rage
02-26-2002, 04:04 AM
I thought the qui gon jinn in armor was an excellent figure. Its a hundred times better then Obi kenobi, jedi training.

brentfett
04-08-2002, 01:41 PM
I agree with the folks who believe they should have made some more obscure OT figures rather than those EU stinkers.

Jayspawn
04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
I like the Qui-Gon but arm articulation would have made it worlds better.

pthfnder89
04-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by brentfett
I agree with the folks who believe they should have made some more obscure OT figures rather than those EU stinkers.

There's nothing wrong with the EU figures, particularly the Cold Training Obi-Wan. He's excellent.

Besides I don't want to have every alien and human seen for .005 seconds in one of the films. I'd like to have a couple of the figures Tycho mentioned, in particular, figures from the Thrawn Trilogy and the New Jedi Order. They don't need a whole line, but the POTF2 EU figures Hasbro made were EXCELLENT. I wish they would do that again, with a small selection of major characters or scenes from EU sources likt the video games and books/comics.

187-Maul
04-08-2002, 05:39 PM
I like dall the EU POTJ figs too
especially obi-wan training and darth maul apprentice

Sith Vicious
04-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

There's nothing wrong with the EU figures, particularly the Cold Training Obi-Wan. He's excellent.

Besides I don't want to have every alien and human seen for .005 seconds in one of the films. I'd like to have a couple of the figures Tycho mentioned, in particular, figures from the Thrawn Trilogy and the New Jedi Order. They don't need a whole line, but the POTF2 EU figures Hasbro made were EXCELLENT. I wish they would do that again, with a small selection of major characters or scenes from EU sources likt the video games and books/comics.

If they're going to do characters from Dark Empire, I'd rather have a Talon Karrde figure than another variation of the main characters.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Luke has plenty of wardrobe changes...

Exactly,

Luke w/Floppy Hat
Luke w/pec implants (Red card)
Luke w/blaster helmet
Luke w/comlink headset
Luke w/knee joints
etc...

:)

I like the Qui Gon and Obi-Wan EU figures. Sure the articulation is lacking, but they are the best looking ones made so far.

RooJay
04-09-2002, 04:26 AM
Sorry, but I'm not vibing with most of you guys on this issue. I thought Jedi Armor Qui Gon was a great figure and I'm glad they made him. In fact he's one of my favorites Star Wars figures of all time! I think he's a beautifully sculpted figure (even though his likeness could've been better.), and I for one like his pose! What's with most people on here talking about how much they hate pre-posed figures, but most collectors seem to criticize the beautiful, neutral yet dynamic pose of this guy? In my opinion, his pose is really reminicent of that pose Dave Prowse struck as Vader in the original publicity photos for ANH (which is really similar to that pose Hayden Christensen strikes in the recent AOTC publicity shots!); VERY appropriate I think! Also, I'd like to point out that the costume this figure wears is based on one of the early Jedi costume designs for Ep. 1! Pretty cool in my opinion.;)

Wolfwood319
04-09-2002, 04:34 AM
I just don't like EU figures because I have no place to put them. There all well and good I guess, but I'd rather have some background character from the movies. That's just me though, and I don't mind that they make EU figures from time to time, I'll just pass on them.

Tycho
04-09-2002, 09:45 AM
I liked both Obi-Wan's, and the Qui-Gon figure.

My Darth Maul is for sale! (retail price plus shipping). I want that out of my collection. (He's still MOMC)

I make dioramas and they include scenes from good books I've read. For example, one I like from "The Hunt for Aurra Sing" has an attack on the Dark Woman's protected world set up:

Ki-Adi Mundi and Adi Gallia are defending "Senator Tikkes" (Tessek) from Aurra Sing. All you need is an Ultarama forest backdrop, but ...

A'sharad Hett should be seen in this attacking Sing, and the Dark Woman should be coming up behind her - let alone Aurra's custom Swoop bike should be in the picture.

All in all, these would have been more useful in letting me recreate an expanded universe scene I'd like to do, than the figures of main characters that we got.

2 things about recreating my own original scenes with EU figures:

1) I have tried breaking into the SW licensed writing business and may have had one of the most popular original stories never published (and only for certain licensing reasons)

2) If it is actually published, it becomes part of the extended cannon - something that doesn't always mean it's a good story, but does mean it's now an official part of my heroes continuing history (and I'd like that to continue well beyond the movies).

Finally, as to remaking main cast members who are visibly recognizeable to the average consumer?

I'll use Heir to the Empire as an example since most people who read SW books have read the first one ever released.

When Luke was captured by Mara Jade and Talon Karrde, they could make Karrde of course, and Luke - his X-wing uniform half stripped off (for a weapons search) and tied around his waist. "Luke as Karrde's prisoner" I customized by using a Dagobah Luke upper body, and the X-wing lower half. I did a scene from when Han, Mara, and Lando helped him escape at Mrkyr. But one could also make Leia in her Jedi Training gear from that series (shown in the comic adaptation) and pack her with a Noghri (which would better be sold separately so one could make an army of Noghri anyway).

These are just examples of figures from the EU that could be more useful. Obi-Wan, about 14 years old from the Jedi Apprentice books is only a matter of the correct adolescent body size, and a slightly shorter haircut and younger face. Geeze - you'd use the same old Qui-Gon figure (Naboo) as his Master.

Some of these could be very exciting and more useful. Again, I did like the EU figures (save for Maul) that Hasbro did) it's just that I would have preferred these others.

pthfnder89
04-09-2002, 10:41 AM
1) I have tried breaking into the SW licensed writing business and may have had one of the most popular original stories never published (and only for certain licensing reasons)

Have you put this story online anywhere? I'm really not big into fan-fiction, but I'd be interested to read it.

I'll use Heir to the Empire as an example since most people who read SW books have read the first one ever released.

When Luke was captured by Mara Jade and Talon Karrde, they could make Karrde of course, and Luke - his X-wing uniform half stripped off (for a weapons search) and tied around his waist. "Luke as Karrde's prisoner" I customized by using a Dagobah Luke upper body, and the X-wing lower half. I did a scene from when Han, Mara, and Lando helped him escape at Mrkyr. But one could also make Leia in her Jedi Training gear from that series (shown in the comic adaptation) and pack her with a Noghri (which would better be sold separately so one could make an army of Noghri anyway).

I love Karrde and the only reason I don't want Hasbro to make a figure out of him is because they would base the figure on the crappy comics adaptation like they did with the other Thrawn Trilogy figures. The others turned out fine, but the Karrde from the comics is NOT the Karrde from the books. He should be well dressed, buisness-like, suave and sophisticated; he should NOT be sitting draped across a chair when he meets Luke, dressed in nasty furlined clothes.:mad:

They also completely screwed up the likeness. Karrde has SHORT-cropped black hair and a mustache, not hair that goes down past his shoulders. Zahn makes it perfectly clear that Karrde is very refined, and he entertains some powerful and rich clients often. Why would he look as nasty as he does in the comic?:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-09-2002, 11:03 AM
I still love these figures... I think they were nicely done and great for "continuing adventures of..." play. I have said it before and I will say it again- these are EU, but still were part of the initial designs of the characters. Wouldn't these sort of fall into that same series as the production art and final designs of the vehicles? I can't even remember what that line was called. Anyhow... I consider these more 3D versions of the concept art created for TPM (except for SnObi-Wan).

Again... I still love these figures!! :happy:

RooJay
04-09-2002, 05:43 PM
I have to disagree with Pthfnder89. While it's true that Olivier Vatines (Heir to the Empire's artist) version of Kaarde was different than he was described in the book, I for one immediately fell in love with the design. It just seemed to fit the character better, and I don't think it's hard to imagine that the version in the comics often enjoys dressing up and occassionally gets his hair trimmed short. Guess that's just me though.
Speaking of the comics, I thimnk Edvin Biukovic (who's talent is sorely missed. Especially in regards to Star Wars comics!) designed the PERFECT Noghri. His concept was EXACTLY the image I had in my head when I first read the books! If we ever get Noghri figures (which would sell GREAT in my opinion, and REALLY need to be done!) I will be sorely disappointed if his is not they design they use. No other design for the little guys really does them justice quite like they appeared in the Last Command comics.
Oh, and Tycho, I'm not ashamed to admit that I (and from what I hear: ONLY I) love Sith apprentice Darth Maul! I suppose I just have an affinity for seeing unused production designs made into figure form!

Sith Vicious
04-09-2002, 07:23 PM
I've never really cared for any of the depictions of the Noghri. I always pictured them as more wiry and feline, but most artists draw them as muscular and hideous looking.

RooJay
04-10-2002, 07:41 PM
You must not have seen Biukovic's Noghri, Sith Vicious. They ARE wiry and feline and vicious and VERY cool looking! I'd think you'd really like them too. By the way, Gary Erskine, my second favorite Star Wars penciler, has also adopted this look for the Noghri!

Taichi
04-13-2002, 09:31 PM
I'd like to have Lando, in the clothes he wore at the end of Empire.......Han's vest and shirt......

Tycho
04-14-2002, 07:58 AM
I'll second that (vote for Lando "Corellian Smuggler Attire.")

It would be about time. And while Lando wore the clothes for a large portion of Shadows of the Empire, this figure is a MOVIE figure since Lando is directly seen in this attire in The Empire Strikes Back.

So the figure is only 22 years too late!