PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Yoda. I kid you not!

elvandrik
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok, I need you guys to give me some tips on this. I have a 24x20 yoda painting on stretched black velvet, circa 1980. This thing strikes me as wickedly cool. As far as I know, I've never seen another one of these. The painting is quite good. An ideas on how much this might fetch?

bigbarada
10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Do you have a photo of it? It really just sounds more like fan art than an officially licensed collectible, but I could be wrong.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Doing an internet search, it sounds like there is a museum in Portland, OR that has a velvet painting of Yoda.

Blue2th
10-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Back in the 70's and 80's there were a lot of velvet paintings from south of the border. Most were landscapes, ocean scenes, villas etc. Many were hung in motels and restaurants. Now they have the same artists doing the same things with landscapes etc., but done traditionally and not on velvet.

A lot were of pop icons too.
I don't think they were officially licensed, but many people bought them because they were done very well, and the artists you can imagine were paid pennies on the dollar.

I have a friend who bought a painting of Gene Simmons in his full KISS armor that is really nice. It's unsigned but one of his prized possessions hanging in his music room.

My guess is this is what your painting is. Is it signed?
Kitchy pop culture from that era is making a comeback, so something like this could fetch a good price, plus it's Star Wars. I know sometimes knock-offs figures from Mexico fetch more money than their authentic counterparts.
I would check completed auctions of Star Wars velvet paintings on ebay.

pbarnard
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Yoda dressed as Elvis with dogs playing poker on velvet...perfect!

Lots of velvet paintings of Elvis done in the 70s and 80s.

Daryl VayDar
10-07-2009, 04:47 PM
WOW. I just googled "yoda velvet painting" and clicked on the third image result...according to dortye.com that piece sells for $1500.00- is that the one you have?