PDA

View Full Version : So, I think i'm done collecting SW.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I knew this day would come (probably due to the apocalypse, rapture, 2012 death, etc), but I came to a realization yesterday that I'm just not really....enjoying the hobby as of late. It's rough to find new figures (despite finding new CW wave yesterday and four legacy last week), but this is the first new product in months. With a full time teaching job and the beginnings of a family, I don't have the time to dedicate to hunting and my $$ could be spent elsewhere on loans, rent, car, other items, etc, etc.

Plus, the overall boredom of the figures offered today is finally getting to me. I plan to keep collecting, but just Ghostbusters and finishing up The Dark Knight, but SW is just too big and has too long of a future ahead of it.

Anybody else at this point?

Regardless, it's been a fun trip and I'll always have the memories. hehehe :)

El Chuxter
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
By focusing on Clone Wars and making the new Legacy stuff impossible to find (AOTC wave), exclusive (Dewback), overpriced (comic packs), useless (Malakili), or some combination of the four (practically everything else), Hasbro's pretty much made the decision for me. I still look when I'm in stores, but don't go on toy runs anymore, for SW or any other toyline. It's not that I don't want to; I just know that I won't buy stuff I don't find.

Old Fossil
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I feel your pain. It's been hard to get excited about SW collecting lately. I've bought a grand total of 2 new SW figures "in store" in the past month, and even then it was in large part out of boredom. I've contemplated leaving SW collecting altogether, but as long as they're putting out a decent figure or vehicle that catches my eye every few months I guess I'll be a collector. Lately I've been pursuing a Mego fetish, and that's helped pass the time.

Regardless, it's still a bit of a shock to hear, coming from you, JMG. Hope you'll still be hanging around SSG, enjoying a bit of rum and the Gungan.:yes:

Perhaps you could simply become "Jedi Master Hiatus?"lol

Darth Metalmute
10-08-2009, 09:28 AM
You and I pretty much hit the same stores and I agree, there has been nothing. Lots of blue and white. I gave up "collecting" 3.5" Star Wars in 2006. It became a hassel when there were so many exclusives that you would have to get up at the crack of dawn just to get to the store opening for the hope that a truck came and that the stockers were not scalpers. It became work instead of a hobby. I sold all my carded figures that summer. Now I just pick up "must have" items that I find interesting. I still look for figures, but on my own terms. At Comic Con I put together a list of 11 "must have" items. So far I've only seen 4; Turbo Tank, Tank Gunners, X-Wing w/ Wedge, and Cad Bane, and have only picked up Bane due to the cost of the X-Wing and Turbo Tank and the overwelming availability of the Tank Gunners. 5 of the 7 I haven't seen (Slave Leia, Comander Cody, Corran Horn, AT-ST, and Dewback) have been released, I just haven't found them. It's becoming harder and harder to pick up my "must have" items.

Darth Jax
10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
i'll never give up collecting, but several years back financial factors forced me to get rid of my completist ways. i don't really do dedicated toy runs anymore, but if i venture to the other side of town i'll probably stop at a target or two. routine shopping needs keeps me visiting the stores on my side of town on a regular basis. it's still disappointing and frustrating never seeing anything new on the shelves.

i purchase only what i like now. i'll go months between toy purchases (do to the lack of product or just carp being released), but occasionally i'll stumble across a gem and pick it up. cutting back on the toy lines should allow me to resume purchasing the higher end stuff soon. that'll keep me busy cause i'll be playing catch-up, but again only getting what really interests me - rather than trying to accumulate it all.

pbarnard
10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm still excited about things that are being made, but unlike the past years where I could find things eventually or buy them through Hasbro, even that is becoming more difficult. I don't want to buy cases becase I don't need/want the 4 Vaders and 3 Kasshyyyk Clones I'm getting with them as well. I've bought a handful of figures like Brea and Bail I had no interest in really just to get BAD (nice insidious plan Hasbro). Things are really starting to look good, and poof, no new product.

DarthQuack
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I came to this realization a couple years ago....good decision on my part, just don't have the funds one to keep doing it, and two just didn't enjoy looking for the same figures over and over just in new packaging.:(

Droid
10-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't plan to quit collecting, but feel like things are wrapping up.

Hasbro's answer to galactichunter.com about how they HOPE they can get all of the Legacy product shown at Comic Con into stores really bummed me out. The delays in products just continue year after year. They'll show us a figure or tell us sbout a figure that doesn't get released for two years or more. All I see in stores are Legends and Clone Wars. I thought this fall would finally be a glut, but then they said they hope to have them out by spring.

Hasbro's language reminds me of the end of the Indiana Jones line. That they know Legacy is over, but they aren't ready to tell us. I wonder whether Legacy sales really are that bad or that it is easy to sell Clone Wars and it is more profitable so why keep a less marketable line going.

If they do end Legacy I can just hear us begging them to put some Legacy figures in the Clone Wars waves and them giving us non-sensical answers about how they must be kept separate.

I had planned to pass on the Phantom Menace wave, but when I saw it for the first time this morning picked up three of the figures because I want to show support for Legacy and figured they might be among the last Legacy figures I ever get.

I just hope that I can get the new Slave Leia, Leesub Sirlin, the Saurin, the new Jawa with the last droid sale droid, Warok, and the black Bespin Guard before things end.

I will be quite happy with my collection if things are ending, but I will really regret that they kept pushing back Bom Vimdin and Palace Klaatu for a day that never came.

I didn't quit collecting; collecting quit me.

Ando
10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
In 2005, I started my Clone Army collection and with the purchase of the Crumb Bomber last week, I feel officially finished.

I have plenty of ARC-170's, V Wings, V-19's, Republic Gunships (+enough pilots and Gun Turrets), along with a S***load of Phase I and Phase II clone troopers, JSF's, Republic Fighter Tanks, a Turbo Tank, 1/2 dozen AT-TE's, and a new CW Y Wing.

I may pick up a 2nd CW Y Wing and a 2nd Turbo Tank after the holidays (if they're around), but for the most part, I am done with my realistic style Clone Army.

It stopped being fun for me, too. I stopped doing early Saturday morning toy runs because I didn't like the crowd and really don't want to be associated with those folks and Hasbro's pacing and distribution has become lackluster.

Their insistence on giving Wal Mart exclusives that I want and can never find is also frustrating.

The only SW I will collect from now on with any regularity will be LEGO (THIS is a toy company!), Galactic Heroes (for the vehicles and possible new figures), and the CW figures for future nieces and nephews (but no army building for that line).

I will however continue to buy large vehicles (if I like them) and I hold out hope that I will see a Republic Attack Shuttle, a Twilight, and a new Outrider in 3 3/4" some day.

TeeEye7
10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
JMG:

Just wait until your family grows and your kids re-spark your interest in collecting SW!

I'm speaking from experience! :yes:

pbarnard
10-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking when it is time to open that last item, make that last custom (i'm on temporary hiatus from customizing till we move out of the apartment and get an area again), etc, I'm playing "The End" by the Beatles, followed by Throne Room and Finale/End Credits. Yep, yessir.

LusiferSam
10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I pretty gave up collecting Hasbro during the Saga line in the fall of '04. The last figure I got was Ephant Mon (a big thanks to KH for that one). I found in general I wasn't enjoying the what I was buying, hated the fact that I was having so much trouble finding new stuff and I needed to cut back on my spending at that point. But the final straw was a Tusken Raider had been built wrong. It just sent me over the edge.

I do miss some aspects of collecting. I really like some for the current figures. Some are amazing detailed or fix major issues with older figures. A few times I've been tempted buy some. The VOTC line was major test of will power. But in general I just don't think I can go there again. Maybe some day, but not anytime soon.

Now I've not given up collecting totally. I'm still into Lego and the vintage line. With the vintage line I get more a rush when I find something new. I have 99% of what I want so finding some of these items is really hard work, but much more rewarding. Plus they're not making any more. A huge plus in my book. As for Lego, I've been collecting that for 20+ years now. A few years ago I was really unhappy with type of sets they were making and for some chooses they made (ok I'm still unhappy about those chooses, but am living with it). But right now I'm totally excited about the current sets. Plus if I even get sick of collecting the current sets there's 30 years worth of sets made before I was born I could collect, not to mention the large chuck of sets I purposely skipped since 1988.

sith_killer_99
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I haven't really been collecting since 2006.

That's when I left Fort Know for Fort Hood, deployed and returned, wife got pregnant, baby arrived, and that's pretty much it. Nothing has really re-kindled my passion for hunting.

The only things as of late I have found worth my time are Kotobukiya and Gentle Giants and I will pick those up as time and money permits.

Rocketboy
10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I quit "collecting" over 10 years ago, before I even started coming here.
I've just been buying the occasional figure I want, which has been less and less every year.

Now, I just come here for the nachos.

pbarnard
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Now, I just come here for the nachos.

Or my local target because that's where I drove you too.

Wait, there's nachos? :grin:

Rocketboy
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Or my local target because that's where I drove you too.

Wait, there's nachos? :grin:There were nachos, but mabs and jjreason were in line right behind me, so...yeah, they're gone.

sith_killer_99
10-08-2009, 05:33 PM
There were nachos, but mabs and jjreason were in line right behind me, so...yeah, they're gone.

In best Cartman voice...

What? Oh God d*mn it!

Is there still punch and pie?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I feel your pain. It's been hard to get excited about SW collecting lately. I've bought a grand total of 2 new SW figures "in store" in the past month, and even then it was in large part out of boredom. I've contemplated leaving SW collecting altogether, but as long as they're putting out a decent figure or vehicle that catches my eye every few months I guess I'll be a collector. Lately I've been pursuing a Mego fetish, and that's helped pass the time.

Regardless, it's still a bit of a shock to hear, coming from you, JMG. Hope you'll still be hanging around SSG, enjoying a bit of rum and the Gungan.:yes:

Perhaps you could simply become "Jedi Master Hiatus?"lol

OH, don't worry, I have no intention of leaving SSG!! I don't talk too much in the SW toy forums anyway. I usually post in other forums! But yeah, I won't be leaving. My mod pay is just too much to pass up! hehehe :p

i'll never give up collecting, but several years back financial factors forced me to get rid of my completist ways. i don't really do dedicated toy runs anymore, but if i venture to the other side of town i'll probably stop at a target or two. routine shopping needs keeps me visiting the stores on my side of town on a regular basis. it's still disappointing and frustrating never seeing anything new on the shelves.

i purchase only what i like now. i'll go months between toy purchases (do to the lack of product or just carp being released), but occasionally i'll stumble across a gem and pick it up. cutting back on the toy lines should allow me to resume purchasing the higher end stuff soon. that'll keep me busy cause i'll be playing catch-up, but again only getting what really interests me - rather than trying to accumulate it all.

I quit being a completist years ago and now I always pass on the repacks and try to get figures that I don't have at all. Like, I'll pass on the slave leia cos I already have one from years ago, etc, etc. But even just playing the numbers for the rest of 2009, there are roughly 15-20 figures and at 8 bucks each, that's pretty pricey. I'd guess that there would be, what, 60 figures next year or so with CW and TLC combined? With those figures and vehicles, it's just too much now.

I came to this realization a couple years ago....good decision on my part, just don't have the funds one to keep doing it, and two just didn't enjoy looking for the same figures over and over just in new packaging.:(

Glad to hear it's worked out for you, Quack. Sadly, that money you saved is going to support the Yankees, which is, well, awful. :crazed: lol

JMG:

Just wait until your family grows and your kids re-spark your interest in collecting SW!

I'm speaking from experience! :yes:

lol yeah, the girlfriend/future wife and I have no intention of having kids, ever. This money i'm saving will just help fund our travels and ghost hunts around the country!

thanks for the replies folks. Glad to hear I have a support group here for when I start going through withdrawal. :thumbsup:

Ando
10-08-2009, 06:21 PM
This money i'm saving will just help fund our travels and ghost hunts around the country!

Ghost hunts?! AWESOME. Where have you "hunted"? Have you been out to the NW? Portland, OR?

Ji'dai
10-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I still enjoy collecting some of the figures and putting them on display so I probably won't stop unless basic figure prices jump to $9-10. I like the comic packs but $13-15 bucks is too steep. So I stopped buying them for the most part.

I really scaled back my SW collecting after 2004 but had lost interest in vehicles long before that. Up to that point I was still buying 2 of each new figure. Now I just buy what I like.

So far this year I've only purchased 67 Hasbro Star Wars products: 59 basic figures, 2 battle packs, and 4 comic packs. Most of my toy money goes into LEGO, which I'm more excited about than any other toy line.

The only other things I collect are Sideshow Indiana Jones 12" and Mattel Ghostbusters.

Blue2th
10-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll never be completely done with collecting SW, but if they quit making the Legacy figures, I guess I'm done whether I want to or not.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Ghost hunts?! AWESOME. Where have you "hunted"? Have you been out to the NW? Portland, OR?

My lady and I hunted at Mansfield Prison in Mansfield, OH (where SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION was filmed) back in March. You can read about the experience here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/252634.html listen to my EVP's here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/252833.html and watch the videos (not much to see, but more to hear and it does have cursing. lol sorry, you hear a loud bang in the dark, you'd cuss too) here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/253196.html

If the EVP's are up, let me know as I think sendspace deletes them after so long without any plays and I can re-up them.

We actually sent out our ghost hunting paperwork/check to Mansfield yesterday to get tickets to hunt on April 10th with the two people we met there and ended up hunting with. THe other two folks, Nick and Alyssa, asked us to join them on a hunt at Waverly Hills in Kentucky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills), but we need to call in January to get dates. Also, they're trying to find out more about the ghost hunts at the Buffalo Station Terminal. :thumbsup:

Rik Duel
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I dunno these days. The new Jedi Luke is a figure that, essentially, I've been waiting many years for and it's just not that good, even though it could have been great. If the mentality is that there's no need to get a figure perfect even after 15 years, who wants to support that?

bobafrett
10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
While I haven't quit collecting figures, or Star Wars, I'm not the completist I used to be. It's more of a finacial reason more than anything else. After I returned from California in February, I did not return to my second job, so money has been extremly tight. I have picked up a few figures, but that was only possible because I was given a credit card through Wal-Mart. But I still have to make sure I don't let it get out of hand like I did several years ago.

Daryl VayDar
10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
In the last four months, I've bought the 2 new Obi-Wan's, Cad Bane and the Clone Tank. Cad was a fluke, as I don't collect/buy the Clone Wars line, but he's kinda cool. When I found the Ep 1 Obi, they had the entire wave and he is the only one I picked up. I guess without really realizing it, I'm winding down as well. I've also been selling some stuff off on ebay. I still dig my collection, but it had gotten SO overwhelming, and storing/keeping track of everything became a part-time job. At this point, I'm trying to isolate "scenes" that resonate with me and thinning out my collection to a more manageable size.

Lord Malakite
10-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Aside from my arrangement for "freebies" and the occasional toy/"other item" collections from restaurant or cereal promos (mainly due to the "time limitation" factor of collecting those in a "complete set" without resorting to ebay) I don't buy much of anything anymore either. Just don't have the money for it with college loans.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm still going. I don't army build like I did a few years ago, and I don't army build the Clone Wars figures at all (I already have a ton of clones just from the individual releases and battle packs and such). I don't think the line is dying, as many people are suggesting, but I think they have to re-evaluate a lot of stuff - I mean, look at this thread and see all the people who have quit or slowed way down. I don't expect the line to go forever but I'll be with it until it ends.

autumnsdescent
10-09-2009, 06:08 PM
While CW is the main focus due to the TV show (which, if I understand correctly, is the highest rated show on Cartoon Network - EVER), I have applauded Hasbro in keeping the other 2 lines (Saga Legacy and Build A Droid) going.

The main frustration I seem to be encountering on the web and when I bump into people in retail hunts is the inability to find the Build A Droid figures they want.

The biggest problem seems to be the individual retailer. The person stocking the toy isle is not differentiating between the 3 lines. As a result, the CW and Saga Legacy waves clog the pegs. The CW waves are selling incredibly well to kids and collectors alike in my area. The BAD waves, when found, go quickly. I have really had to increase my hunting to find figures. So far, I've found all the basic waves released this year.

I've been impressed with the overall quality improvements of the line as a whole since the relaunch in 1995. The sculpting and articulation for much of the line have matched my perceived value for the price increases we've seen at *most* retailers.

As the AOTC movie was hitting theaters in 2002, and the Hasbro license to produce Star Wars toys continues through 2018, it became incredibly obvious to me that I would have to quit trying to be a completionist and just focus in on what I really liked. As it is, I have several "hobbies" and SW collecting is just one of them.

So moving forward, I have been picking and choosing what I'd really like to display - open or unopened.

I've also been excited at how thrilling the hunt has been as of late when I am able to find something that has seemed to elude others...

Happy Hunting!

JetsAndHeels
10-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I didn't quit collecting; collecting quit me.

Sounds like something Rorschach would say. :)

I still collect, because each wave has at least a figure or two that I like (Rum Sleg is da bomb)...but at the same time, I don't make my toy runs only for star wars like I used to. I check the star wars stuff after I have hit the Transformers, GIJoe, Marvel/DC stuff, etc. It does not mean that I am no longer interested, because I still love Star Wars, but there isn't anything out there right now (except ROTJ Leia) that makes me head straight for that section on the toy aisles.

With Revenge of the Fallen coming out on dvd soon, Walmart has been putting more of those toys out, so I have been trying to pick up the few figures left that I don't have from that line. Even though I am more of a DC guy I still like the Marvel Universe toys....there are just more exciting options right now, so my Star Wars spending has gone down as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I used to be a completist, when that was a possibility without being able to leave this astral plane, have access to time/space contiuui, or teleport. Now, wonder of wonders, I just buy what I want/like.

Here's my I-never-gave-up-collecting-these items list (LIST... :drool: )...
- Expanded Universe novels ("regular" and youn adult, not comics)
- music (although there's been nothing new in quite some time)
- video (and I've made sure it really is "new" material, not just new packaging first)

And that's it. I have massive holes in my figures/vehicles collection, every so often I get the bug to find the cards I don't even collect but..., and maybe something else catches my fancy. My job and its time have been much more important than putting more plastic items in storage, so I hear you, J_M_G.

But I haven't stopped completely. But let's just say that Hasbro isn't beating down my door to thank me for helping their 3rd quarter profits lately.

bigbarada
10-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I guess the answer to whether I'm done collecting or not depends on how you define "collecting." If you define it as someone who buys everything that is released, then I was never really a collector in the first place. I got hit by the completist bug once or twice, but never really had the money to keep it going for long, so I've always just bought what I liked and ignored the rest.

I did walk away from collecting back in 2002, but still bought the occasional item throughout 2003 and got sucked back in completely with the VOTC collection in 2004 (probably the only line that I've felt the need to buy complete sets of).

I lost interest for the most part in 2005, but got sucked in again with the Saga line. The OT figures will always get my attention, especially figures based on ROTJ.

Right now, you could almost say that I'm not really a Star Wars toy collector, I'm more of a Return of the Jedi toy collector. And now that Hasbro seems to finally be committed to giving us new Skiff Guards on a regular basis, I am very excited about the possibilities for the future.

Of course, just my luck, when Hasbro finally gets around to focusing on the Skiff Guards, the line seems to be in danger of getting cancelled.:upset:

figrin bran
10-12-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm not done with collecting by any means but I am at the point where I need to send some of my collection into a storage unit. From now on, no more carded extras of any figures for me. And I probably shouldn't spend so much on other non SW lines.

Darth Metalmute
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't think the line is dying, as many people are suggesting, but I think they have to re-evaluate a lot of stuff - I mean, look at this thread and see all the people who have quit or slowed way down. I don't expect the line to go forever but I'll be with it until it ends.

I think alot of that has to do with age. The older we get, the less likely we want the stuff around. I love seeing all the new toys. I don't love seeing them in my house because all they do is sit and collect dust. I'd rather have several nice, displayable items whereas 5 years ago, I had to own one of everything Star Wars.

Now that we are now finally getting the figures we have wanted for years, we have lost some of the interest to purchase them. Kids are getting older, quicker now so it's less likely our "collecting habits" will be passed down a generation. Case in point, I played with my Kenner Star Wars figures until I was in junior high school, My son was done at the age of 9.

Slicker
10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
A good portion of it has to do with complete and utter over-saturation of the product. They've just licensed it out to too many things. Back when the POTF2 started again there was just enough that you could buy everything if you really wanted to but now it's really difficult for me to buy all of the figures, multi-packs, vehicles, etc. even though I really want to.

Blue2th
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I continue to buy whatever they got coming down the pipe in Legacy.
Really if you narrow it down and eliminate Clone Wars, repacks, and repaints, it really isn't that big of a strain on the pocketbook.
Sure you might get hit with an occasional vehicle purchase that's a little too hard to take, but even then half of what is being released is a repaint.
I find it easy to pass on those especially when the older versions had better paint apps anyways.
Even newer versions of the TIE fighters, though better with more features have little or no weathering, so I'm passing because of the prices.

I really think Hasbro has done some wonderful products in the last two years.
We've gotten some excellent figures with Build-a-droids to boot.
Whodathunk we would ever get a BMF?

Sure I like to watch Clone Wars, but decided to halt my buying of the figures. I have to draw the line somewhere, and it's an easy pass because of the inferior articulation. The way the Legacy waves have been coming out so slow, it gives me time to save a little $$ for the next wave.
Hasbro made it easy for me in this economy. I just don't want it to end.

Snowtrooper
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I've cut back some because of space issues and the prices are getting ridiculous too. But I still consider myself in the collecting game. Hasbro has been giving us some amazing figures the past few years and even better vehicles, so my interest is still pretty high. But we all eventually start questioning whether or not we need that much "stuff."

My lady and I hunted at Mansfield Prison in Mansfield, OH (where SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION was filmed) back in March. You can read about the experience here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/252634.html listen to my EVP's here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/252833.html and watch the videos (not much to see, but more to hear and it does have cursing. lol sorry, you hear a loud bang in the dark, you'd cuss too) here: http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/253196.html

If the EVP's are up, let me know as I think sendspace deletes them after so long without any plays and I can re-up them.

We actually sent out our ghost hunting paperwork/check to Mansfield yesterday to get tickets to hunt on April 10th with the two people we met there and ended up hunting with. THe other two folks, Nick and Alyssa, asked us to join them on a hunt at Waverly Hills in Kentucky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills), but we need to call in January to get dates. Also, they're trying to find out more about the ghost hunts at the Buffalo Station Terminal. :thumbsup:

My wife and I are big fans of the show Ghost Hunters. Mansfield and Waverly Hills were some of the best locations they ever went to. Definitely not short on activity. I don't know how long you've been doing this, but have you ever been fortunate enough to see an apparation yet?

scruffziller
10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I quit "collecting" over 10 years ago, before I even started coming here.
I've just been buying the occasional figure I want, which has been less and less every year.

Same here.

What is the name of the unburnt young Anakin fig in the Darth Vader armor? Gotta get it for my Vader wall.

Edit- Found it, Anakin Skywalker Episode III Concept Art Star Wars Legacy Collection (Build-a-Droid)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2009, 09:15 AM
My wife and I are big fans of the show Ghost Hunters. Mansfield and Waverly Hills were some of the best locations they ever went to. Definitely not short on activity. I don't know how long you've been doing this, but have you ever been fortunate enough to see an apparation yet?

We've only officially "hunted" once, but as you can see, we're gearing up for more. lol As for seeing apparitions, I've seen two, maybe three, but only one was during the hunt at mansfield.

#1- I saw this one way back in the day when I was still in grade school. I was staying at my friends house for a sleepover and he lives within walking distance to a cemetery that supposedly has soldiers from the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. His mum sent myself and one of my friends across the street later that night to steal some corn (lol) from a cornfield. We were walking back when I looked up and saw something floating diagonally above me by about, 10-15 feet or so. I didn't see any legs, but I could see a torso (don't recall seeing any arms or maybe they were under the uniform). It looked like it was wearing a coat that reminded me of the style of civil war coats, the ones the union troops wore. It was there for a few seconds and then was gone.

#2- This one was much closer and far more shocking. I was working as a manager in columbus, OH at a video store that had lots of random stuff happening. For example, one night one of my staff came running out of the supply closet saying he had seen a creature with red eyes in there. Another night after closing I was in the managers office counting down the deposit/filling drawers, etc, etc, and the last member of my staff was in the supply closet next door to me and we heard something fall in the middle of the store. We both ignored it and then something else fell. We both asked if it was the other person and when we realized it wasn't us, we stood in the back and watched a series of movies swing back on forth on the shelves before falling to the floor.

What I saw though was much more interesting. It was after closing and I had sent my staff home cos they were done. I had finished filling/doing the deposit and was walking up to the front to enter the paperwork. As I was walking past some of the DVD shelves, I saw a guy standing there. He was in what I thought to be the clothing of the 1920's with the suit/vest/kind of derby hat thing going on. I stopped in tracks and after a second, I asked him, "Um, can I help you sir?" He lookd at me, regular face, nothing creepy, tipped me his hat and vanished. I shook my head in disbelief and walked to the front. My manager came in a few minutes later as he had forgotten his briefcase and he asked me if i was okay cos I was slightly pale and seemed to be trembling/shaking a bit.

I'll type up the third case in a bit as I gotta run to class!

Snowtrooper
10-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Those sound like some pretty freaky encounters. I'd like to experience something like that just once. I've never even had the most remote paranormal encounter. But I do have this story. Within a day or two of when my dad passed away, my mom was laying in bed and she said she felt someone lay down beside her. At first she thought she imagined it. Then she felt like somebody put a hand on her. She turned around and nobody was there. It never happened again. She was a little bit embarassed to admit it, but I told her stranger things have happened.

Maybe you already know about this, but there is a lighthouse in Florida that the GH crew investigated which turned out pretty well. They were playing cat and mouse with a shadow all the way up the spiral staircase and they actually managed to catch a couple of shadows with their equipment. If I can find the name of it I'll post it later.

Slicker
10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Let's keep this on topic. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Those sound like some pretty freaky encounters. I'd like to experience something like that just once. I've never even had the most remote paranormal encounter. But I do have this story. Within a day or two of when my dad passed away, my mom was laying in bed and she said she felt someone lay down beside her. At first she thought she imagined it. Then she felt like somebody put a hand on her. She turned around and nobody was there. It never happened again. She was a little bit embarassed to admit it, but I told her stranger things have happened.

Maybe you already know about this, but there is a lighthouse in Florida that the GH crew investigated which turned out pretty well. They were playing cat and mouse with a shadow all the way up the spiral staircase and they actually managed to catch a couple of shadows with their equipment. If I can find the name of it I'll post it later.

I remember that episode! It was nuts! I believe it had the entity that looked like it was looking over the railing.

That's pretty crazy with your Mum. Something like that happened to my girlfriend, Mel (who has an aunt that is pretty much a sensitive. Has seen things, including what she believed was a demon that other folks saw too) as well. Her mother was going back and forth between her house and her uncles house when he was very ill and when she came home she would lay on Mel's bed and talk with her, etc. One night Mel was sleeping and felt something lay next to her on the bed and she said it felt like her mum. The next day, she found out her mom had slept at the hospital and never came home.

When my grandma died a few summers back, my family had something weird happen to us. I suddenly woke up at about 5:59-6:00 a.m. for no real reason. Just bam, woke up. Same thing happened to my mom and it was at 6:01 a.m. or so that we got the call she had passed. When I talked to my bro in chicago a few days later, he said he had suddenly woke up at 4:59-5:00 a.m. CST, same as us.

On to my third encounter!

#3- This one happened at Mansfield. We were making our way to the east cell block and I thought I saw something dart from left to right down a hallway (i'm posting a pic of the hall with this post). I paused for a second and started chasing it down the hallway, leaving my time behind. I never found anything. It looked very bright and had mass to it, blocking out the mirror. I thought it might've been my reflection, so I ran a few tests walking by the hallway flashing my light down the hall, trying to see if i could replicate it and I couldn't. I didn't see any detail to it, it just looked like a large, bright mass.

Let's keep this on topic. As this pertains to my post SW world, it's on-topic. :)

I ended up taking back the figures I had purchased a few weeks back to get my $$ back. I'm also tracking down figures/reciepts from this past late July as those won't be past the 90 day return policy. I'm getting back enough to make a car payment. It's kinda nice. :p

Slicker
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
As this pertains to my post SW world, it's on-topic. :)
Oh, carp! My bad. I read the TOPIC the first time and it talked about being done with SW so I figured that's what it was about. After running the TOPIC through bablefish it indeed come back as "Tell Me Your Lamest Ghost Stories and Experiences". Strange...

I'm off to post in my Japan thread about garden gnomes. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Oh, carp! My bad. I read the TOPIC the first time and it talked about being done with SW so I figured that's what it was about. After running the TOPIC through bablefish it indeed come back as "Tell Me Your Lamest Ghost Stories and Experiences". Strange...

I'm off to post in my Japan thread about garden gnomes. :thumbsup:

lol if you don't want to read it dude, then don't. I could give a s*** what you think about our experiences. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I saw Tycho's new post about collecting and I decided to revisit this one. It's been nearly a year since I've purchased any SW items and i'll admit, it was rough at first as I came across new product, but now it's not too much of an issue. I finished off figures for TDK and now I just collect random film/comic figures and Ghostbusters.

However, there are still times I do miss it, especially when I see figures on sale at times. lol :)

InsaneJediGirl
10-07-2010, 12:57 AM
It is rough at first. It gets better, considering I haven't bought anything since 2007. I think the first year and a half was the hardest for me. Now I really could care less, its crazy. At one point in my life I would have never thought it possible.

nohagent
10-07-2010, 02:35 AM
i would try and quit myself. Actually I tried to quit just before AOTC. I don't buy much for myself anymore as I have learned how much my funds can go elsewhere especially when I had to fund my divorce proceedings over the last two years. However I do have my 7 y/o son who I do spoil a bit. Ive gotten better at holding back but when see something I like..........oops, I mean he will like I pick it up and put it away for his birthday, Xmas or something small like figures as a reward for being a good kid. My biggest problem is the worry if I dont get it now, then I may never see it again. This is exactly what happened with the last round of red card CW figure, Hondo, Thi Sen and such and I wont pay ebay prices for these guys.

I have boxes in the garage of this stuff that I wish at times I did not have. I do get depressed at times and throw stuff up on ebay but usually end up spending those earnings on well, more SW. It is an addiction of sorts, at least it doesnt go up in smoke, our noses, or into our livers.

Lord Malakite
10-07-2010, 06:29 AM
at least it doesnt go up in smoke, our noses, or into our livers.
Unless you are Tycho.

Slicker
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm done for all intents and purposes. The sheer amount of product that is coming out would make it nearly impossible for me to get everything even if I had twice as much money. I'm seriously considering getting a U Haul and taking my entire collection to Toys for Tots. That way I'd be rid of it and I'd also save $85 a month that I spend storing all of it.