PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter?

Tycho
10-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I have started a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter from The New Jedi Order comics and novels).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper Fighter from The New Jedi Order comics and novels?

These ships, one pictured below, fought X-wing fighters and the Millennium Falcon, amongst other New Republic / Gallactic Alliance partisan ships, as well as TIE Fighters and Interceptors from the Imperial Remnant. They are biologically grown, as is all Yuuzhan Vong technology. The pilot wears a creature over his face that breathes for him and communicates his desired manuevers to the ship, and it complies with him - making these very difficult little fighters to defend against.

I think the ship should have an opening cockpit for one Yuuzhan Vong pilot figure - either included or sold separately - as they need to card Vong warriors as it is. The interface mask could be sculpted on an exclusive figure included with the vehicle, or it should be a removeable accessory with a carded character.

The ship could launch one plasma missiles from its front cannon. Other than that, it'd be very basic.

I'd hate to put this in the $20 vehicle assortment without more features. Folks here can suggest them. The pack-in Yuuzhan Vong pilot would be an obvious choice to increase this ship's sales and value.

Do you want this made?

Would you spend $20 for something like this? More if Hasbro included a pack-in pilot?

Do you generally dislike the Expanded Universe or feel the movies are all you have the time for? Did you buy the Republic Fighter Tank?

How do you think the Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper would sell if produced?

pbarnard
10-08-2009, 05:03 PM
YES YES YES (whole bunch of words that would get me banned that rhyme with trucking, hit, "leave us" Tap Dancing Hiest, etc) YES!!!!

It wouldn't sell much I fear, but one cool feature I'd like is a working volcano cannon. Let it shoot out a red/orangish ooze. It would be great!!!! I'm indifferent on the inclussion of the cognition hood. It should be aproximately the size of an A-Wing, maybe a tad bigger. It should be the same price as a standard vehicle these days (low to mid20s).

I would buy these. Maybe 2 or 3. No, I didn't buy the Tank, but that's because I've given up on the prequals except for Alien (and background human) Jedi and Droids.

One problem is that Corralskippers are supposed to be unique and a bit more asteroid/reef like. About 1/3 of the source drawings really fail to reflect the descriptions provided by many of the prose authors. There really isn't a "cockpit" or "viewport" because that is putting too much of the "human" slant on the thing and not making it truely as alien and wierd as the Yuuzhan Vong really are.

bigbarada
10-08-2009, 05:06 PM
No, and forgive me for not knowing anything or even caring about this whole storyline; but I think the "organic technology" thing is pretty lame.

LusiferSam
10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
No [censored] way in [censored] [censored]. The New Jedi Order story line turned me off the EU in general. I won't support any EU toy. Junk, pure and simple. The whole Yuuzhan Vong thing would "work" just as well in Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG1, Doctor Who or even the X-Files. I say NO, NO, NO!

mtriv73
10-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm not buying anything that looks like it should be driven by Snorks.

DarkJedi5
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I'd get one. I think it would fit perfectly into the current vehicle line and while the above illustration isn't how I imagined them, I think it would look okay.

Old Fossil
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
That looks frickin' hilarious!lol

Darth Jax
10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
No, and forgive me for not knowing anything or even caring about this whole storyline; but I think the "organic technology" thing is pretty lame.

i agree with the organic technology dissing. i didn't like it with the gungans. and really don't like it with the vong (which is why i still haven't made it through a single book involving them). no way i'd buy it.

OC47150
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It depends on 1) the price and 2) what it looks like in person.

Devo
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
EU vehicle? Nah. EU vehicle that looks that stupid? Definite major nah.

El Chuxter
10-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I was going to say yes, but that weird cartoon thing is nothing like I pictured the Coralskippers. I pictured something that can scare the hell out of you if a squadron attacks, not something that can only achieve victory if their opponent is laughing so hard at how silly they look.

Tycho
10-09-2009, 04:40 AM
I don't care for the corral skippers' look myself, but that's the clearest reference picture I could find with only a cursory effort.

However, I'd buy a squadron of these things to battle more x-wings I'd purchase for a diorama.

I think the toy is possible: can anyone see the basic shape of the EU McQuarrie Single-Pod Cloud Car in this? Hasbro's made a vehicle like this before.

Ridiculous-looking or not, a swarm of them would be a threat to an X-wing fighter or the Falcon.

As for bio-technology? Well Star Wars would just be GI Joe without aliens and droids. With the part that are ALIENS - they need to be different - to be alien. Are you going to have everything resemble Imperial, Rebel, CIS, or Republic hardware in this whole diverse galaxy? Bio-tech might not be your preference, but can you see how it fleshes out more diversity in the Star Wars universe? And the Gungan stuff is really tame (and mechanically integrated) compared to the Yuuzhan Vong technology, for sure!

Snowtrooper
10-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd pass on it. I don't mind EU items, but because I'm not familiar with the storyline, it just doesn't generate any interest with me.

JediTricks
10-10-2009, 07:59 PM
No.

Stupid minimum post limit. Ok, fine. No, it's a silly-looking design on its own, and the idea of organic starfighters doesn't mesh well with Star Wars IMO.

Tycho
10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
No.

Stupid minimum post limit. Ok, fine. No, it's a silly-looking design on its own, and the idea of organic starfighters doesn't mesh well with Star Wars IMO.

This is the part I can't get my head around.

I agree THIS is not a very inspiring design but why do so many of you dislike organic starfighters? If they could be designed cooler - like Species 8472 in Star Trek - might that help? Star Wars has aliens - it is fitting that every ship or vehicle shouldn't only be able to be found in a human-built outlet store.

Tycho
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
The Yuuzhan Vong Corral Skipper is taking a loss 4-9, with the majority saying "no" to this one. It's a pity because I'd want to fleet build these if there was more enthusiasm for it (and I could go for a batter design myself, as I mentioned earlier).

morpheus282
11-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm going to have to say no as well. Every picture I can find of it just doesn't look very interesting to me.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
This is the part I can't get my head around.

I agree THIS is not a very inspiring design but why do so many of you dislike organic starfighters? If they could be designed cooler - like Species 8472 in Star Trek - might that help? Star Wars has aliens - it is fitting that every ship or vehicle shouldn't only be able to be found in a human-built outlet store.No, they sucked too, and not just because they were on Voyager. And their bioships looked just like all the other crummy Voyager starships.

The concept almost always falls on its face. Weapons and shields and artificial gravity and FTL propulsion systems that have taken untold generations to perfect in the Star Wars and Star Trek universes don't lend themselves to simply being "grown" by another race. It takes exotic concepts like Moya from Farscape to be believable, alternate FTL methods too, otherwise they don't get past the plausibility barrier in the mind of the viewer and end up looking like nothing more than an exercise in computer graphics design.

Tycho
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I disagree. But everyone has their own opinion.

Actually, I was just think of how different and cool a huge organic warship (like the size of the Naboo Royal Starship) would be? Flanked by corral skip fighters, facing off in a display with X-wings and B-wings!!!

And the bio-ships could have traces of neon-green fibers adding to their dark charcoal-colored detail. That'd look way cool!

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I sort of blame the artists for anthromoporphizing it way too much. It is supposed to look like an asteroid/corral reef cross. It really doesn't come close. Most asteroids are iron ore composites (at least the rocky ones are), while corral reefs have a wide variety of colors. To just make a generic space fighter frame (like a BSG Viper) and give it a rocky texture is a cop out on the artists. There are ways to make it believable, and yes, they're there. Too much of the Yuuzhan Vong was explained much later, after people had given up not understanding or having the patience for a 18+ novel story arc.

And yes, Tycho, the world ships did.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I disagree. But everyone has their own opinion.

Actually, I was just think of how different and cool a huge organic warship (like the size of the Naboo Royal Starship) would be? Flanked by corral skip fighters, facing off in a display with X-wings and B-wings!!!

And the bio-ships could have traces of neon-green fibers adding to their dark charcoal-colored detail. That'd look way cool!
They did a big organic ship on Stargate Atlantis, the Wraith hive ships, they don't look organic from that distance, merely another big ship with unique curves and shapes just like every other big sci-fi ship lately. And at least the Wraith darts (their small fighters) didn't look too organic when they went into battle, they just looked different from the humans' Puddle Jumpers.

I think the Vong's ships look better in the reader's minds eye than on the page. They are a description of something that defies logic so the reader carries that over, but in real life they wouldn't look good, but they'd still have to be functional.

Tycho
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I wish Lucasfilm would have employed someone like Ralph McQuarrie or Doug Chiang to do designs for such a big project such as New Jedi Order.

It wasn't a movie, but it was a huge licensing project - at least it could have been. Minus a video game and soundtrack, it was way bigger than SOTE.

They could have made it that big (minus the fact that the comics came 4-5 years later than the novels :rolleyes:)

In the absence of McQuarrie or Chiang, maybe Jan Duursema could have designed the original look for stuff - perhaps even before they let their licensed authors tackle the descriptives on the pages. They could at least lend their contracted authors a pictorial guide to Vong Technology that they'd be writing descriptives about.

Yes I agree that the ships have to look functional. The corral skips use dovan basils (however you spell it - they look like sea annenomes I guess) to pull gravity fields through subspace to propel the ships. There are larger ones behind the craft, thus making it evident which is the front and which is the rear. To fit a humanoid pilot inside, it would necessitate having a cockpit. And with that larger dovan basil in the back, the thing, however much you tried to make it look like an asteroid, would come off a bit like a Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica anyway.

I just imagined it looking even more dull - like a rock - than a Viper fighter.
I actually prefer the Viper look - but they could refine it a lot more from where it's at now.

I still want a small squadron of these to fight X-wings and B-wings, the Falcon, Jade Shadow, Claw Crafts, etc.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
And with that larger dovan basil in the back, the thing, however much you tried to make it look like an asteroid, would come off a bit like a Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica anyway.

I just imagined it looking even more dull - like a rock - than a Viper fighter.
I actually prefer the Viper look - but they could refine it a lot more from where it's at now.

No, what I'm saying is the artwork took something like a Viper fighter and textured it up with rock like formations. It doesn't need a cockpit. There actually is no reason because they're controlled by cognition hoods which are basically like putting an EEG type hood on your head that gives you the sensory information and you have to think the controls. No need to have a visual port. Just some sort of sphincter like opening or clamshell etc.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh yeah Paul, that'd make a great toy. ;)

Tycho
11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Just some sort of sphincter like opening or clamshell etc.

He said, "sphincter!" Hahahaha :D

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh yeah Paul, that'd make a great toy. ;)

I will not be bothered by your pitiful lack of vision.

Just because I have imagination, can read and comprehend things, unlike most of the artists they employed...Yes, because just a plain X-Wing cockpit is suck a great toy right now. At least this would be an interesting helmet.

And yes, a smooth muscle that contracts on an opening aka a lumen like a vessel or other bodily opening, is called a sphincter. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
11-02-2009, 11:22 PM
If the Yuuzhan Vong seriously piloted ships that looked like what pbarnard described, then I can almost guarantee that we will NEVER see them in toy form. I can't think of anything less appealing than a shapeless biological mass that requires its crew to be shoved up its bu**hole. :dead:

El Chuxter
11-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, the metaphors left unspoken....

Tycho
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I can't think of anything less appealing than a shapeless biological mass that requires its crew to be shoved up its bu**hole. :dead:

ROTFLMAO!!! - Can you start using that as a signature line BigB?

Geeze that was funny!!!

bigbarada
11-03-2009, 12:22 AM
ROTFLMAO!!! - Can you start using that as a signature line BigB?

Geeze that was funny!!!

Well, I do need a new sigline, but I'm not too sure I want to look at that one after every post. :cross-eye

pbarnard
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
So you don't think kids would enjoy shoving things into places? Which reminds me of the old joke...to a 8 year old, what has more nutrion, broccoli or boogers?

A: Boogers. No 8 year olds eat broccoli.

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Just because I have imagination, can read and comprehend things, unlike most of the artists they employed...Yes, because just a plain X-Wing cockpit is suck a great toy right now. At least this would be an interesting helmet.

And yes, a smooth muscle that contracts on an opening aka a lumen like a vessel or other bodily opening, is called a sphincter. :thumbsup:Just because you have imagination doesn't mean you can make a crazy description into a fun and exciting toy either though.

Aren't sphincters also circular in nature, such as the epiglottis?

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
True. But kids still enjoy shoving things in places.

The muscles around the epigolottis would be yes.

Tycho
11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
True. But kids still enjoy shoving things in places.

The muscles around the epigolottis would be yes.

He said "epigolottis." Hahaha. That was cool.

Uh....what's an epigolottis, Butthead?

Tycho
01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
There is still no indication of demand for this one.

I wish there were, as I want a small squadron of 'Vong corral skippers to make their fighters appear like a threat to Rogue Squadron, but as it is I wish the corral skipper fighters had a better design in the first place (their concept art).

Let alone me wishing that there were more fans of at least the idea of Star Wars continuing off the movie screen in comics and books. I don't see that happening, and I even wonder how the titles continue to sell so well when I don't sense that reading is something people who collect action figures like to do a lot of.

Darth Jax
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
i get all the books and comics. i read them when i have the time, which is to say, i've only read about half of what i have.

Tycho
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
i get all the books and comics. i read them when i have the time, which is to say, i've only read about half of what i have.

Did you read the New Jedi Order series (novels)?

Have you been interested in the NJO comics that recently started?

Do you like the concept behind it (Yuuzhan Vong invasion)?

What do you think of the 'Vong ship designs?

Would changing the designs improve the concept, in your opinion?

Darth Jax
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
i've read the first couple NJO books (and nothing in book form that takes place later). i was following Legacy (until i missed an issue, which i've since got - but haven't caught back up). i have the invasion comics, but havent had time to look at them.

i don't think you could change the design of the vong ships into anything i would like. i want ships that look like mechanical constructs, which would be difficult with maintaining the organic aspect of them.

Tycho
01-25-2010, 12:34 AM
OK. Thanks for that clarity.

It's only my opinion, but I think since ALL the other SW ships look like mechanical constructs, the idea of the 'Vong bio-ships is cool and adds variety.

RENDAR LIVES
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I loved the series. Sadly though I don't think I would want this. After going to B&N today and seeing the New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, I know I wouldn't find this vehicle appealing.

clone157
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, because just a plain X-Wing cockpit is suck a great toy right now.

Hey I still like the tie fighter cockpit toy Hasbro released years ago, I use it in a display of EP2 era clones in training. I think I do want an X-wing cockpit now. And maybe a Corral Skipper, if we are getting more of the Vong.

pbarnard
01-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey I still like the tie fighter cockpit toy Hasbro released years ago, I use it in a display of EP2 era clones in training. I think I do want an X-wing cockpit now. And maybe a Corral Skipper, if we are getting more of the Vong.

My point was really that the "essential" artwork is anything but. It puts things like cockpits that aren't needed on the ship because of the cognition hood, the fun kids would have jamming Vong figures in sphincter-like opening (or Tycho too), and they only put one volcano cannon at the nose--there are at least 2, and the fact it doesn't look very coral or rock-like per it's descriptions. I would still buy it, and probably more eagerly than any other vehicle at this point. Compare those features with the current X-Wing cockpit that lacks a control stick, targetting computer, hyper drive lever (or whatever that is in the front "dash board").

Darth Metalmute
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Not that it will turn a "No" into a "Yes", but I'll say yes. I would love one to battle a X-Wing. Although I'm not to keen on the design you found.
It's not exactly what I pictured in my mind when I read the books.