PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Starfighter 3/9....but....

INDIANA
02-25-2002, 06:57 PM
.....you're basically going to need to bl## someone to get it, as Hasblo has decided to only release 6000 of them cross the country with the bulk going to TRU NYC. Excuse me, but hasn't TRU like...SUCKED with POTJ for the past 2 years?!?!?! Why do they now get the lion's share? AND...with keeping with the new TRU (old FAO) CEO, the price will be $2957.99.
I saw this report at Rebelscum.

I can honestly say the LAST straw for me and this new line of figures is if Hasblo starts really playing games with distribution. Either release the damn thing so everyone, not just scalpers, can get it OR keep it until 4.23!

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Well this bums the heck out of me, since the Jedi Starfighter is the vehicle I was most looking forward to. But there WILL BE MORE later on, so I wouldn't suggest anyone buy them on Ebay or anything, unless you have the money to blow.

Also, remember that this is just a RUMOUR. It might be true, or it might not. The original report came from Raving Toy Maniac, which I read a lot, but their information is a lot less reliable compared to SirSteves. So I wouldn't take it for fact until it shows up here.

But that's just me...:D

Beast
02-25-2002, 07:49 PM
Here is the news from Raving Toy Maniac.:

A little birdie in the know has told RTM that on March 9th, there will be a small number of Star Wars Episode II Jedi Starfighter vehicles released in stores. (Not the LEGO version, which is already out in Wal-Mart stores, but the regular Hasbro version in the blue and white packaging.)

How small a number? 6,000.

The 6,000 to be released early will be split among several retailers, including Toys'R'Us. New York City collectors will fare the best, as the bulk of the allotment for Toys'R'Us will be sent to the Times Square TRU location.

The retail at Toys'R'Us for the Starfighter is $19.99 USD, and the SKU number is 525060.

Have patience, young Jedi... If you can't find the Starfighter in March, wait for the April launch of the Episode II product line.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
02-25-2002, 08:04 PM
I fully expected all preview mechandise to be limited. TRU still has preview STAPs and the Gian Speeder/Theed playset. So if each store gets six apiece for 990 stores, and extra for TRU TS, then that will give a good indicator of how well the merchandise will move.

Once the movie hits, the stores that have no more will order more, and those with Fighters still sitting will wait until those are gone.

So if you get one, great, if not, you'll probably have one by the time Obi (Pilot) arrives.

ConvergeDW
02-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Well lucky, lucky me.

no,seriously, if I have the cash I will grab a few to dole out at normal prices, merely for compensation

LTBasker
02-26-2002, 12:17 AM
So about 3000 should be on ebay on the 10th.

Wolfwood319
02-26-2002, 02:58 AM
Just wait until April, you'll have no problem finding them then. And just wait until December, you'll have no problem finding them for $5.

It is a little sneaky of Hasbro to release a small amount, mainly to NYC, but its not like these ships won't be everywhere a few weeks later.

LTBasker
02-26-2002, 03:23 AM
Yeah, but for the initial hit, I'm sure some TRU's won't get their Starfighters and they'll magicly go to the nearest scalper shop. :rolleyes:

evenflow
02-26-2002, 09:39 AM
More will be released in April, I am not worried. It's not that big of a deal.

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 09:51 AM
I'm not worried either. I will probably drop by my local TRU that day, just to stop in and look, but I do not expect to find one.
I am perfectly content with my LEGO one, and I can wait until April.

Casual George
02-26-2002, 10:11 AM
Lord Tenebrous makes a good point. TRU had the STAPs out for a long time and even then there was enough to go around. I realize that the Jedi Starfighter will be a hotter item than say the STAP but we should all just be patient. Don't run out and pay some ridicules price to the scalpers. I remember after TPM toys came out I'd be at a store and some mook would be shoving every Darth Maul he could find in to his cart. It made me furious because I new he would be promptly posting them on Ebay or the like. If everyone can resist the scalpers they'll get stuck with product they can't move and hopefully drive them out of the "business" as it were. Just know one of you guys will get one of these early is cool. :cool:

Amanamike
02-27-2002, 01:10 AM
Well that will sure burn my @ss hairs if they only produce limited quantites. It seems they either like scalpers to buy them and sell them for 100s of dollars or they like stuff to sit on shelves and sell it for cost. HMMMM maybe someone at Hasbro will read this and think.. Hey maybe if we try to go somewhere in the middle most people will be happy instead of asking for our heads!!:mad:

Beast
02-27-2002, 01:21 AM
No need to go crazy guys, if you don't get one on 3/9 then you will get one on 4/23. Just don't go and pay scalper prices to aquire it early, no matter how much you want it. That's the best advice I can give you all. But here is hoping that everyone here that wants one, will get one. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 02:09 AM
True and what would be so great about getting it on 3/9? We'd have to wait till 4/23 for Obi-Wan. :p Just get the LEGO version to tide ya over, it does at least come with Obi-Wan. :D

Beast
02-27-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
True and what would be so great about getting it on 3/9? We'd have to wait till 4/23 for Obi-Wan. :p Just get the LEGO version to tide ya over, it does at least come with Obi-Wan. :D
You would have to wait even longer, for the Obi-Wan that's meant for the Starfighter. The pilot Obi-Wan isn't coming out until around May 16th. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 03:54 AM
That's true also, but if you look closely you'll see that the Obi-Wan in the Starfighter at ToyFair is the 4/23 version. At least I think it is, has similar arm posistioning.

DarthMaulSithLord
02-27-2002, 12:09 PM
In The Netherlands, we'll only get one preview item in March and that's the Jedi Starfighter. The bad part? We'll have to pay $35 for it! Seeing as how much we'll have to pay for this, the figs will probably be $12 and the deluxe close to $20!!! So thanks to Hasbro this will, again, be a year of agony for us Dutchies (and other Europeans). Why can't Hasbro do what ToyBiz did with the LOTR toys? Those were the same price in most parts of the world. I can't believe why Hasbro coulden't and such a (relatively) small company could.

:mad:

JetsAndHeels
02-27-2002, 12:49 PM
DarthMaulSithLord,
Hasbro's motto is "Money makes OUR world go 'round."
Basically they dont care about us, just our money.
Thats why you are getting shorted on this.

Tycho
02-27-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

You would have to wait even longer, for the Obi-Wan that's meant for the Starfighter. The pilot Obi-Wan isn't coming out until around May 16th. :(

Which is bad marketing strategy if you ask me. Release a vehicle at the time that you have an action figure that you can use with it, please.

Personally, I don't need a Jedi Starfighter until I have an Obi-Wan (from E2) who can fly it, in my hand and at the same time my cash for my starfighter is in my other hand.

This is a distribution disappointment any way you look at it - albeit a minor one.

Well, tell me how the fighter is guys...looks like I won't get one in March or April, and I'll be picking it up in May. (Groan) - but you know I might be tempted sooner...;)

Beast
02-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Which is bad marketing strategy if you ask me. Release a vehicle at the time that you have an action figure that you can use with it, please. Personally, I don't need a Jedi Starfighter until I have an Obi-Wan (from E2) who can fly it, in my hand and at the same time my cash for my starfighter is in my other hand. This is a distribution disappointment any way you look at it - albeit a minor one. Well, tell me how the fighter is guys...looks like I won't get one in March or April, and I'll be picking it up in May. (Groan) - but you know I might be tempted sooner...;)
Sure it's a bad marketing decision, but it's not as bad as in 1995 when we got the AT-ST and then in 1997 we finally got the AT-ST driver. :) I still think it's pretty weird as well, that they arn't releasing vehicle friendly figures first. Like Zam Wesell for her Speeder, or Obi-Wan for the Starfighter. Just makes you scratch your head sometimes at what Hasbro chooses to do. :confused:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Well, thats Hasbro for you.
Why would they do something for us that actually made sense?
It seems they like to watch us suffer.
Sigh.

Darth Ovori
02-27-2002, 02:43 PM
DarthMaulSithLord, where in Holland do you stay, and where you get your figures from... ???

INDIANA
02-27-2002, 02:58 PM
Question: If pilot Obi is due out in May, does that imply that he is one of the "spoiler" figures? If so, does anyone know why?

Comment. Let's take the CEO from a failed, over-priced toy chain and put him in charge of a failing, over-priced toy chain. I'm sure he will work magic....

Beast
02-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
Question: If pilot Obi is due out in May, does that imply that he is one of the "spoiler" figures? If so, does anyone know why?
Yes, cause the figure comes with the transmitter that Obi-Wan uses to alert the council and the senate what's going on at the planet Kamino. Not a huge spoiler, but you know Lucasfilm and Hasbro, after all we haven't even seen a figure of any of the Kamino aliens yet. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 08:18 PM
It still looks like the Coruscant Obi-Wan in there to me or maybe I'm not look close enough but it's possible that may be Coruscant Obi-Wan?

DarthMaulSithLord
02-28-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori
DarthMaulSithLord, where in Holland do you stay, and where you get your figures from... ???

I live in Purmerend and usually get my stuff from trades, fairs, Ebay and some folks/stores that sell online. Before that, i got them from the two shops in Amsterdam, but their prices have gone up so much that i just quit going there. I'm not going to pay $15-18 per fig when they are $6-7 in the US.

:frus:

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2002, 09:32 AM
JarJar,
That is the figure with the soft goods robe right? The one where he is sort of looking down in the pic?
If so, that is a great looking figure and I cannot wait to pick that one up.