PDA

View Full Version : Comic Con 2010 4-Day Passes w. Sneak Preview Night Sold Out?

Tycho
10-09-2009, 04:54 AM
According to SideShow Collectibles' newsletter, Comic Con 2010 w. Sneak Preview Night is already sold-out!

Really?

I guess I won't get in there the first night. Don't know.

El Chuxter
10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
They jacked up the prices and still sold out earlier than ever? I'm actually considering passing this year. Maybe I'll go to a convention that remembers the root word is "comic," as I'm getting tired of fighting crowds of pre-teen girls clamoring to see Rihanna promote her new single. And even more tired of people asking, "Oh, can you see if you can get Sigourney Weaver's autograph?"

Darth Cruel
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I can't believe I missed the tickets. I guess I'll be passing this year.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I am on an email list of a noted comics dealer, and he's been lamenting the steady demise of the "comic" aspect of Comic-Con in favor of the films, toys, and other genres over the last few years. I last went in '05, I think, and it was the crowds and lines that [may have?] finally got me to stop going. Sad. If I'm gonna shell out that much moola, I want to enjoy myself, and that hadn't been the case the last times I went. :( But I did meet Tycho there at a SW novels panel once! :D

JediTricks
10-10-2009, 05:32 PM
This new little scam of CCI's is pretty interesting, it turns out they created a new pass, 4-day-without-preview-night, and the classic 4-day-WITH-preview-night has been limited differently. In some ways, it makes sense to limit preview night, it has gotten entirely out of control, but it seems kinda messed up to have these passes sell out only 2 months after the previous show, long before anybody is thinking about their badges for 2010.

Darth Cruel
10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I was pretty surprised about this as I was trying to keep track of the selling of the passes. But I let it slip for like 2 weeks and I ended up on the wrong side of a big "fail" for it.

Tycho
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah. I just bought the 4 day w.o. sneak preview night.

The next thing that will happen is they'll suddenly say - "Oh, we just decided to sell more," - after the fact that I've made my purchase.

SirSteve
03-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Myself and another person tried to "reserve" 2 hotels when they became available yesterday at 12:00 EST. We finished at 12:06 (their server was really slow and their phone was busy). Their process is that you first pick 12 hotels and you may get 1 of them. I never received my confirmation and called them today. They said EVERYTHING was booked. WHAT?? Well, now I am on a "Wait List" and if I don't get a room, there will be no SDCC SSG coverage. :(

JediTricks
03-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Ugh, that's terrible. This year seems to be disastrous for Comic-Con. Badges selling 9 months early, hotels disappearing instantly, this is not the sort of thing that instills confidence after San Diego claimed they were trying to do more to keep the convention.

Maradona
03-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I got lucky and have a room at the Town and Country. Both a friend and I logged on to try to reserve rooms just in case and both got through, with her getting the Old Town Best Western, but we only need one room so we're taking the T&C. If you need a room, you can take our extra at the Best Western.

Tycho
03-20-2010, 06:39 AM
My friend Kristel and her brother are both coming here from Australia. They're set to stay with me and they have their admission taken care of.

Why does Comic Con get crazier every year?

I think the hotels might have been booked to a large degree before the Comic Con packages went on sale - the reason being is that long-distance travelers would rather pay more and ensure themselves of a room.

My city just needs to get organized and stop playing games to get development contracts (to make the convention center bigger again, so politicians can "provide jobs" (temporarily) and make profits for their building industry campaign contributors).

I suspect that "just to prove" Comic Con needs a larger venue, panels added will include:

1) How to contemplate your navel (2 people in this room)
2) Staring at the carpet (1 very intense person needs this room)
3) Nap room (taking up 7 more convention rooms, and playing elevator music)
etc.

Just so they can claim something is going on in these rooms and they need space to expand.

And Star Wars fans will have their choice of groups to attend the events with:

1) Prequel lovers
2) Prequel haters

Rick McCallum will speak at both groups and say that whatever the majority of the audience thinks, he agrees with and that's F'n Awesome! It was all his idea, you know.

But the bottom line is Comic Con needs more rooms for this and at a huge cost to San Diego taxpayers so the rooms can all be used 1 week out of the whole year.

Comic Con is San Diego's largest regular event.

El Chuxter
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Sunday is still available. It's only $20 per person, and kids' day to boot. I think I might go just on Sunday, but I'd better decide for certain fast. :)

SirSteve
03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I still don't have a room... they are still working on the wait-list. :(

El Chuxter
03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I have to wonder at this point if they're trying to make it look like a fustercluck in San Diego so they have a stronger excuse for going somewhere else...?

SirSteve
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Maradona, I appreciate the offer but I really need a room that is within walking distance to the con so we can cover the show properly (aka: a solid Internet connection). It takes us a lot of time to get the news/photos posted and doing it after the show is not feasible unless we don't want any sleep for 5 days. Then there are all the technical issues that ALWAYS come up. Everyone also has to realize that SSG is not my full-time job (even though it feels like it is). If it brought in enough to support me and the site, then it would be another story. Every year people ask me what did I see that I liked the most and I tell them I have not looked through our coverage yet so I don't know. I literally see the show through the lens... and when you shoot 5,000+ photos, you don't have time to look long. Did I mention the expenses? ;)

JediTricks
06-02-2010, 05:42 AM
A huge thanks to Tycho. He texted me that the SDCC website was selling parking passes for the show, I was lucky enough to be at my mom's, jumped on the computer and bought parking at the convention center for $10 a day! Last year, I spent $30 almost every day on parking that certainly wasn't UNDER the convention, and I had to hunt for it. This time, I'm all set up to actually park at the convention center, no worries about parking, that saves me probably $70 or more and tons of time and the dead-tired walk back to the car.

They do it weirdly, you have to buy day by day, and each day is $2.92, a full pass would have been better, but trust me, just not being harassed by smelly pedicab guys is going to be a huge boon by itself! :p (I treated myself to a pedicab ride last year on Saturday, I think it was, when I decided I was going to enjoy the show on my own terms instead of walking all the way from the VERY LAST SPACE IN PETCO, the job involves a lot of sweat and the wind whips right back to the passenger, hence the "smelly" comment. That and they swarm my car every time I park there like a bunch of bees.)

Now if we could only get Steve to get to the show.

My mom told me she wanted to go one day this year, but every single day pass was sold out when she checked. That sucks.

Tycho
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
This is from the San Diego Reader - last year. I'd forgotten I was going to post these pics of The Pedi-Cab Wars!

Maradona
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I ordered parking passes on Wednesday night. I was skeptical, but decided to do it anyway. Selecting an arrival time was easy, but I wonder if we are bound by that. The passes themselves do not indicate a time on them. Apart from that, I expect I will complain to no end if these are oversold and parking at the convention center is full when I arrive.

JediTricks
06-04-2010, 03:43 PM
What an odd way to start that article, a comment about foreigners. A lot of the pedicab gangs are made up of non-foreigners, and who gives a crap anyway where your bicycle taxi driver comes from? The only reason to care at all about the pedicab driver is when you're in the Gaslamp and you get the choice between a bunch of cute girls, although if I'm in the Gaslamp I don't really need a pedicab anymore anyway.

If they oversold these, I will bring upon them so much fury and anger that they will have to leave the hemisphere. :p

Tycho
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Refresh my memory, but what is the Hasbro SDCC 2010 exclusive again?

JediTricks
06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
They haven't formally announced them, stupid dragarse SDCC site, but Hasbro is offering Robo-Maul vs Owen Lars comic pack.

El Chuxter
06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
And Sergeant Slaughter. Two of 'em, in fact.

figrin bran
06-28-2010, 11:12 PM
For anyone still needing 1 day's to SDCC, Thursday, Friday and Sunday are available now!

Saturday was available earlier today but is now sold out.

Tycho
06-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Robo-Maul and Owen?

Tycho is thankful he won't be getting into the HasbroToyShop line at Comic Con.

Does ShopStarWars.com have any Hasbro exclusive?

The only thing I really want is a C5 exclusive I think: Cammie & Fixer and I think I want 3 or more of those 2-packs. :yes:

Like my diorama of an ice cream parlor I created for my 8 Wilrow Hood action figures as Lando and Chewie look for a Frozen Han Solo between the pistachio, rocky road, and butter pecan, I want to make a new diorama of Milakali working in a pet store selling womprats, Talz, Amanan, and Cammie-cats. :yes:

Then my Star Wars Mainstreet will be well on its way with Watto's Electronics, Malakali's Pet Store, and Wilrow's Haagen-Daas. I think I need to open a Twi'lek Massage Parlor and a Wookiee Barber Shop (with Snoova getting his flat-top). Jek Porkins' Salucami BBQ, and Pizza the Hutt would also be welcome additions. Dexter's Diner would be a featured set of course.

JediTricks
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
They've started listing the exclusives on the SDCC website. With just 2.5 weeks to go, they've really pushed it to the limit. I believe they're going to post the schedule tomorrow, they've got dates up for Thursday and Sunday, probably coming next will be a link to each day.

JediTricks
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Thursday schedule is up, and it's a doozy.

Just for my schedule, Hasbro Transformers in an all-new panel room next to ballroom 20, 30 minutes later it's The Force Unleashed 2 in the 6bcf theater (so it'll have a very long line), and the moment that ends, in room 7ab there's Transformers:Prime. Plus a plethora of counter-programmed stuff that I wanted to do but cannot.

JediTricks
07-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Friday (SW Day) is up, and it's a mixed bag. Hasbro is 2nd this year, so I guess we'll have to do the SW DK panel first, which is ok because DK puts out SW non-fic that I like. But the other publishers aren't doing panels (there's nothing from Lucasarts either), so SW day ends pretty early in the day, at 4, after the trivia panel. I guess having Celebration V 3 weeks after SDCC has really wrecked things, and I'm disappointed because I'm not going to CV.

If we want to do lunch that day, it's a bit rough for me because 1 of my panels later that day has a line I'll need to be in for hours.

I'd like to see the Saturday sched before I commit to anything, but Thursday I'm free between 5:30 and 7 for dinner, or before 2 for lunch.

JediTricks
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Saturday is up. A lot of panels for me, a big cluster of counter-scheduling in the early part of the day.

Tycho
07-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Ugggh. I forgot what a headache making some of these things are.

Comic Con is the ultimate quagmire:

1) I look forward to going.

2) I look forward to leaving and getting OUT of that environment as quick as possible.

3) I generally do not go Sundays (even with the 4-day pass) but then miss it by Monday or Tuesday. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Sunday's sched is up. I don't understand why they don't spread the show out better, on Sunday they don't use hall H nor do they use the 2 hotel ballrooms they're using the rest of the show (ballroom 2 at the Marriott, and the Indigo at the Hilton). Some of the big panels on Friday and Saturday could get put on Sunday in those. I'd complain about it at the SDCC complaints panel on Sunday, but for the 3rd year in a row I'm counterscheduled. :p

Smallville is in ballroom 20 for the first time! We get to stand in a bigger line, but b20 has 6 big screens throughout the room instead of 6BCF's 1 at the front.

Sideshow is counterscheduled this year against Smallville. I missed their panel last year too over counterscheduling. Granted, the Sideshow panels in '08 was a bit thin, but still...

Sons of Anarchy is sharing a panel with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm thinking Tycho can go to the first part because he likes that show, then grab a bathroom-return ticket (many panels have these, actually, but only b20 makes a big deal of it) and leave, give me the bathroom ticket for It's Always Sunny. :D PS - it's so awesome that the 2nd Sunny panel is on Kid's Day again since it's the most inappropriate show on basic cable.

Starship Smackdown is now an hour and a half and for some reason, ends at 4:30 along with all the other panels except Buffy the Musical which closes SDCC ending at 5.

Tycho
07-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Smallville is in ballroom 20 for the first time! We get to stand in a bigger line, but b20 has 6 big screens throughout the room instead of 6BCF's 1 at the front.

Sideshow is counterscheduled this year against Smallville. I missed their panel last year too over counterscheduling. Granted, the Sideshow panels in '08 was a bit thin, but still...

The Smallville pannel has been more enjoyable. Easy choice - especially since I can read about the SideShow Coverage on my usual sites I go to, along with visiting with SideShow in their display area.

Sons of Anarchy is sharing a panel with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm thinking Tycho can go to the first part because he likes that show, then grab a bathroom-return ticket (many panels have these, actually, but only b20 makes a big deal of it) and leave, give me the bathroom ticket for It's Always Sunny. :D PS - it's so awesome that the 2nd Sunny panel is on Kid's Day again since it's the most inappropriate show on basic cable.

OK JT. If I go to SoA pannel, which is very likely (they'll have motorcycle parking I hope?) then you got a deal.

JediTricks
07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I am hoping Steve will cover the Sideshow panel, as it is impossible for me to miss Smallville. I think Sideshow will be at the Lucasfilm Licensing panel on Friday, so I'll cover it then.

We SSGers should probably get our schedules straight so we can do a get-together.

figrin bran
07-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Friday (SW Day) is up, and it's a mixed bag. Hasbro is 2nd this year, so I guess we'll have to do the SW DK panel first, which is ok because DK puts out SW non-fic that I like. But the other publishers aren't doing panels (there's nothing from Lucasarts either), so SW day ends pretty early in the day, at 4, after the trivia panel. I guess having Celebration V 3 weeks after SDCC has really wrecked things, and I'm disappointed because I'm not going to CV.

If we want to do lunch that day, it's a bit rough for me because 1 of my panels later that day has a line I'll need to be in for hours.

I'd like to see the Saturday sched before I commit to anything, but Thursday I'm free between 5:30 and 7 for dinner, or before 2 for lunch.

JT, I think that Thursday dinner time slot sounds good for me. I'll actually be there Wednesday night but as I don't have a preview night pass, I'll be free.

Maradona
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Line, I mean Comic, Con just became more accessible: I was miraculously able to fight through the hordes on Mattel's site to preorder their exclusives. One less line to stand in for hours. Now I just need to navigate the line for Hasbro and DC Direct. And Hall H. And Ballroom 20. And Room 6ABCD. And preview night. And the Tin Fish. And the supposed pre-paid parking (which if it is not, I will display great anger and direct it towards SDCC representatives) underneath the convention center. :D

Ando
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
One of these years I am going to make it down to Comic Con so I can see the show and meet all of you.

Unfortunately it might not be for a few years just yet.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
JT, I think that Thursday dinner time slot sounds good for me. I'll actually be there Wednesday night but as I don't have a preview night pass, I'll be free.Thursday evening so far sounds good. I'm not sure who is and isn't going to preview night yet, so we'll keep that up in the air.

Glad to hear you're making it more than 1 day this year.

Line, I mean Comic, Con just became more accessible: I was miraculously able to fight through the hordes on Mattel's site to preorder their exclusives. One less line to stand in for hours. Now I just need to navigate the line for Hasbro and DC Direct. And Hall H. And Ballroom 20. And Room 6ABCD. And preview night. And the Tin Fish. And the supposed pre-paid parking (which if it is not, I will display great anger and direct it towards SDCC representatives) underneath the convention center. :DLine Con better not screw us over on parking, there's only 2,000 spaced under the convention center so I am worried, and like you, I will rain down much fury and destruction upon the con runners if they blew this.

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Me and Figgy switched places! One day for me this time; just the Sunday. The combination of the short day, the end of the Con, and "Kiddie Day" (since I'm taking my daughter, who hasn't yet decided whom she's dressing up as) rather frightens me when it comes to the Hasbro exclusives.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess you and I will be meeting up on Sunday then. I'm still going to try to get you that Sgt Slaughter, and you have TFU Shaak Ti for me, right?

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I do indeed, and hadn't asked since I expected you to be there. You think you might be able to come up with room to carry an extra Maul vs Owen set? (IIRC, the limits on the Star Wars stuff are usually higher than on the Joe stuff.)

I'm still not 100% sure which Slaughter I prefer. The wrestler one is definitely better for the camp value of the character, but the military one will fit better with my Joes. I'm even slightly considering doing a headswap with Bench Press, since he's a much more built figure.

It'd be awesome if the realistic variant had removable sunglasses to replicate his comic book look. Oh well.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
See folks? I ask the guy if he wants that and he's all "no, just Sgt Slaughter" and now look. :p I don't know if I will have the ability to get you one, PM me and I'll see what I can do (probably wise to figure out which Sarge you want too).

Maradona
07-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I wonder if Hasbro will ever go the pre-order route for their exclusives. I can't recall offhand if that question has ever been asked in a Q&A before. Ideally, if all collector driven exclusives were available as limited pre-orders, that would mean that mainly scalpers would be subject to those EPIC lines.

Line Con better not screw us over on parking, there's only 2,000 spaced under the convention center so I am worried, and like you, I will rain down much fury and destruction upon the con runners if they blew this.

I plan to arrive Wednesday before noon to test out the parking situation. I will post the situation report for that as soon as I arrive. If anyone else who has pre-paid arrives earlier than that, they should post the results so we have an idea about whether the parking situation will be success or a debacle.

figrin bran
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
JT, would you mind helping me out with a Sgt. Slaughter as well? That's all I want from the Big H and since you'll be trying to get one for Chux...:D

Tycho
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I am cleaning house to prepare for Steve to stay here this Comic Con. For those of you who've been my past guests, I wonder if you appreciate the stress and effort I put into hosting company for the San Diego convention?

On top of it, my apartment complex has decided to repaint all the buildings (this is like a 6 building, 900 apartment multi-plex that I live in) and my place is up first - right during Comic Con.

So I have to move the stuff from my balcony that I'd had been sorting out there inside and stack it in my living room (on the floor, against the walls, on the smaller couch) and probably along the floor in my own bedroom if it all won't fit.

I want it sort of clear so I can hire housekeeping to come through before my company arrives (but they brutalize everything they go so fast because they are paid by the jobs they can get done I'm sure - and they don't see much of the $85 asking price that their supervising company gets by contracting with me).

But I do not do toilets and tile and can't vacuum with clone troopers lining the walls (until I move them when other stuff is sorted).

I'm not certain of this, but maybe next year: no company (book your hotels early - I think I might actually stay in one myself :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I hope other people are enjoying their summer.

Grumpy mood here....:mad:

DarthQuack
07-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Would love it if someone could snag me one of the Zuckuss/4LOM 30th anniversary two packs from the Con. ;)

JediTricks
07-16-2010, 03:12 AM
JT, would you mind helping me out with a Sgt. Slaughter as well? That's all I want from the Big H and since you'll be trying to get one for Chux...:DI will try, but I cannot make promises at this point, I don't know what the situation on purchase limits is.

I'm not certain of this, but maybe next year: no company (book your hotels early - I think I might actually stay in one myself :rolleyes:) This is what you said to me last year and 2008. Actually, last year you said you wanted to get a hotel room for this year, I replied "sounds like I'll need to get a hotel," to which you responded "no, probably I'll have you stay with me." Now you have no hotel, and I had to get one super far, and Steve has to take the trolley. :p Anyway, I really do appreciate that you've let me stay with you the last 3 years, and I hope you are getting something positive out of this year's experience even if you feel compelled to do a lot of annoying work for it in advance.

Would love it if someone could snag me one of the Zuckuss/4LOM 30th anniversary two packs from the Con. ;)That's Celebration V.

Tycho
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
This is what you said to me last year and 2008. Actually, last year you said you wanted to get a hotel room for this year,

Wanted to and actually able to are 2 different things unfortunately.

Perhaps this year I will make a reservation for next year. I just think it would be fun to stay down there. I could make short trips home to feed my cats throughout the weekend, but wouldn't have to worry about "the last trolley trips" of any particular evening.

It would be so cool to party all night downtown during Comic Con.

I replied "sounds like I'll need to get a hotel," to which you responded "no, probably I'll have you stay with me." Now you have no hotel, and I had to get one super far, and Steve has to take the trolley.

I've known forever that I wouldn't have a hotel for Comic Con THIS year. Anyone could guess that.

I thought my friend Kristel from Australia (and her brother) were staying with me up until less than a week ago. There's the slimmest possibility that she still could show up - she came at the last minute in 2006 and I understand she still holds a plane ticket but should be refunded or credited since the holdup is her entry VISA into the US. I don't understand it, but she doesn't want to jeopardize some kind of work permit she needs to relocate here and work in NorCal towards the end of this summer.

For about a month only I learned Steve needed a place to stay and I didn't want to turn him down.

:p Anyway, I really do appreciate that you've let me stay with you the last 3 years,

And you'll be invited again - and would have been THIS year - had my apartment complex not just totally dumped on me by scheduling my building for this painting project right freakin' now!

You'll see as I'm sure you'll come over during Comic Con. There will be scaffolding up over my entire building, (hopefully) the windows sheeted-up for protection against the painting, and tons of packing boxes stacked all over my living room against the walls, on the smaller couch, etc.

The prices I pay... by that I mean:

- I am trying to get out of my storage units (at least 1, maybe 2 - definitely keeping the 3rd for sure).

- I want housekeeping and professional carpet cleaning before I have up to seven 6-feet long by 5 feet tall display cases moved in here against the walls for my dioramas (Naboo / Endor - living room, Coruscant / Christophis - master bedroom), Tatooine / Geonosis / Utopau / Mustafr - balcony, Kamino / Kashyyyk / Dagobah - guest bedroom).

I don't have a room for Hoth / Cloud City or Mos Eisley / Jabba the Hutt this time but I set them up before in my old place, so this time I must go without and make use of that storage.

and I hope you are getting something positive out of this year's experience even if you feel compelled to do a lot of annoying work for it in advance.

I don't know. I already have Comic Con Burn-Out and have not even felt compelled to check the event schedule to plan my days at the Con out. :(

It really sucks that I'm not in a position to look forward to this. :(

I know that I do not want to miss the following:

Most things Star Wars
Anything on new Star Trek movies, shows, or toys
Any news on Terminator movies, shows, toys
Transformers movies and toys
Sons of Anarchy
Breaking Bad (if they have anything)
Smallville
Any new James Bond stuff
Any new A-Team stuff
News on new Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, X-men, Hulk movies
News on Avatar stuff I guess - I'd rather there not be a sequel.

Anyway, through all of this, I am almost ready to pull the trigger to cancel my Celebration 5 plans.

This is most likely, but you never know. I have my calendar marked for the last day I can cancel my hotel in Florida without incurring charges.

JediTricks
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Wanted to and actually able to are 2 different things unfortunately.

Perhaps this year I will make a reservation for next year. I just think it would be fun to stay down there. I could make short trips home to feed my cats throughout the weekend, but wouldn't have to worry about "the last trolley trips" of any particular evening.

It would be so cool to party all night downtown during Comic Con.I know, was just putting it out there to help spur you to do it next year if that's what you really want, or to point out that you may not actually want to do it. And I doubt you'd stay through Sunday unless it was part of the package, you didn't do 2 out of the 3 Sundays I've gone.

I missed the last trolley in '07, had to take a cab back to your place, it was like $12 plus tip and pretty quick. Then I started bringing my car and staying later, so it was quicker and easier.

I've known forever that I wouldn't have a hotel for Comic Con THIS year. Anyone could guess that.You were talking about it as late as January though, it's often been on your mind.

I thought my friend Kristel from Australia (and her brother) were staying with me up until less than a week ago. There's the slimmest possibility that she still could show up - she came at the last minute in 2006 and I understand she still holds a plane ticket but should be refunded or credited since the holdup is her entry VISA into the US. I don't understand it, but she doesn't want to jeopardize some kind of work permit she needs to relocate here and work in NorCal towards the end of this summer.

For about a month only I learned Steve needed a place to stay and I didn't want to turn him down.You don't need to justify it, I understand, was just pointing out that it's funny how it's all different than expected for each of us. It does feel a little lonely this year for me though.

And you'll be invited again - and would have been THIS year - had my apartment complex not just totally dumped on me by scheduling my building for this painting project right freakin' now!

You'll see as I'm sure you'll come over during Comic Con. There will be scaffolding up over my entire building, (hopefully) the windows sheeted-up for protection against the painting, and tons of packing boxes stacked all over my living room against the walls, on the smaller couch, etc.I will try to drop by, but because of my motel being in El Cajon (by where the 8 and 67 meet), I don't know when I'll have time, it's totally out of the way from your place as it's 4 times as far as your place to the convention center and in a different direction, I don't have the motel on Tuesday this year, can't leave on Monday, and right now my schedule looks insane for the con, I think the only evening that doesn't have stuff I want to do is Thursday and even that has 1 thing I might go to.

I don't know. I already have Comic Con Burn-Out and have not even felt compelled to check the event schedule to plan my days at the Con out. :(

It really sucks that I'm not in a position to look forward to this. :(It seems to me like you've put a lot of worry into expectations and set-up, you put so much pressure on yourself to go above and beyond that it overwhelms the original point of doing it. Kinda reminds me of why you're on the fence about CV. Funny, seems like your new lease on life has given you more stress about your expectations about the future, and you're not able to live as comfortably in the now.

I know that I do not want to miss the following:

Most things Star Wars
Anything on new Star Trek movies, shows, or toys
Any news on Terminator movies, shows, toys
Transformers movies and toys
Sons of Anarchy
Breaking Bad (if they have anything)
Smallville
Any new James Bond stuff
Any new A-Team stuff
News on new Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, X-men, Hulk movies
News on Avatar stuff I guess - I'd rather there not be a sequel.

I don't understand the Avatar thing, it's already getting a sequel. Anyway, Star Wars is unfortunately having a very light showing at this SDCC because CV is 3 weeks after which sucks for me because I can't afford to do both and wanted to get a lot of SW in at SDCC. There will be TF news for movies and toys and the new cartoon, I believe. Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy have panels. Smallville has a big panel. James Bond is currently not going anywhere, MGM's mismanagement has killed the franchise for the time being. A-Team I doubt will have anything. There will likely be a little Spidey, X-men, and Hulk movie news. I doubt Batman or Supes will.

Anyway, through all of this, I am almost ready to pull the trigger to cancel my Celebration 5 plans.They're definitely going to be different beasts. If I had known more in advance that SDCC was going to be so light on Star Wars, I would have likely canceled my plans for that and gone to Florida instead, I really cannot afford both and want more of what CV will offer.

This is most likely, but you never know. I have my calendar marked for the last day I can cancel my hotel in Florida without incurring charges.I really think you should do CV, you missed the last one and it was fantastic, everyone I know who did both CIII and CIV said CIV was better, so CV should be at least as good as that. We've talked about why I think you should go to CV though, I don't want to bring it all up again, but unless you ask me to stop, I'll keep encouraging you to go to it.

Tycho
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
And I doubt you'd stay through Sunday unless it was part of the package, you didn't do 2 out of the 3 Sundays I've gone.

It's the same thing every year for even more than those years you've gone: I am tired of it by Sunday and want to stay home by the pool or even in my bed - but wish there were an extra day to go prowling the showroom (dealers' / exhibit) floor - but only AFTER I've had a rest.

Many use Sneak Preview Night to do this, but I didn't get SPN this year and ALSO - all the years I've had SPN I never use it for that. I make a bee-line straight for Hasbro Star Wars and forget to do ANYTHING else until they kick me out of the showroom (with occasional stops at SideShow and Hasbro Transformers while I'm at the Hasbro set-up anyhow - though maybe I also go to Diamond and look for new Trek - though anyone should ask "Why bother?"

I missed the last trolley in '07, had to take a cab back to your place, it was like $12 plus tip and pretty quick.

It is a very quick drive (13 minutes in no traffic) and that's fine for anyone staying with me and saving $100-1,000 in hotel fees to even spend $120 on cab fare over 5 days to come and go as they wish. It's more than $120 for 1 night in most of the local hotels. Meanwhile, the trolley, though not always timed conveniently for everyone's plans, costs $5 for unlimited rides all day and Comic Con has a 5 day unlimited ride special for probably $25-30 (which is up to $90 less than all that cab fare).

So you really don't even need to rent a car for Comic Con, or pay for parking at the Con (if you have accomodations or share them).

If I went to Celebration 5, I'd prefer to have my own personal hotel room which at $200 a night (typical for proximity and comfort) is $1,000 for the convention. Now I have the money (though then there's a plane ticket, a pet-sitter while I am away) and the fact that I'll be going to Florida IN AUGUST and would also like to see my Great Aunt (in Ft. Lauderdale - 5 hours away) and go to Epcott, take a fan boat into the Everglades, go on a cruise into the Bahamas and Bermuda Triangle, see the San Diego Padres' Dominican Republic Baseball Facility, and so forth - not to mention Universal, Disney, and the sorts of things that are repeated in Los Angeles but are nevertheless possibly better and at least somewhat different).

I still could swing this, but we'll have to see how I feel.

For $1,000 I may be able to pick up all the Hot Toys Terminator 12" figures that I've missed: Arnold, both Marcus Wrights, both John Connors, 1 or both variant T-600's.

I will be able to keep them and I know what I'm paying for. I question my C5 experience IN FLORIDA IN AUGUST. If this convention were in April or May, I would not have hesitated (I still may end up going to C5, but as I said, I would NOT have even hesitated!)

It does feel a little lonely this year for me though.

Hang out here. You're welcome to BE here. There just will not be furniture for you to sleep on (nor floor space really) or a place to keep your stuff.

I will try to drop by, but because of my motel being in El Cajon (by where the 8 and 67 meet), I don't know when I'll have time, it's totally out of the way from your place as it's 4 times as far as your place to the convention center and in a different direction, I don't have the motel on Tuesday this year, can't leave on Monday, and right now my schedule looks insane for the con, I think the only evening that doesn't have stuff I want to do is Thursday and even that has 1 thing I might go to.

I will be sitting with you during Smallville I hope, and I don't know if Justified has a panel. I forgot about that. You might like that. I don't think Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy is your thing, but you'd get into them if you tried them. I think you watched the premier of Breaking Bad with me at my place one year.

It seems to me like you've put a lot of worry into expectations and set-up, you put so much pressure on yourself to go above and beyond that it overwhelms the original point of doing it.

I've always been that kind of personality. I make plans and preparations, definitely even supply runs, just to be LAZY :rolleyes:

How can you be lazy one day if you don't have groceries?! Man you'll go shopping or something if you don't have food! Plus (usually) delivery is all junk food and not good for your diet. If you're going to be lazy, you can't go all out and sacrafice your diet because then you'll have to work off the weight and that wouldn't be being lazy any more, would it?

I have to settle for being False-Lazy.

Kinda reminds me of why you're on the fence about CV. Funny, seems like your new lease on life has given you more stress about your expectations about the future, and you're not able to live as comfortably in the now.

Yes and no. I'm trying to finish this post so I can leave for the Padres' game.

I don't understand the Avatar thing, it's already getting a sequel.

Why??? The aliens recapture their planet and unify their world. The End. A happy ending.

Or are humans such pricks that they come back again - maybe with British Pertroleum? :rolleyes:

Anyway, Star Wars is unfortunately having a very light showing at this SDCC because CV is 3 weeks after which sucks for me because I can't afford to do both and wanted to get a lot of SW in at SDCC.

Even if there's to be a live-action show, it will all be on the web within hours.

I really think you should do CV, you missed the last one and it was fantastic,

It was in Los Angeles...:rolleyes:

Too close to Dodger Stadium for this San Diegan anyway.

I'm kidding about that. I'll come up and go to an Angels' game any time! (That the Padres are on the road anyway).

everyone I know who did both CIII and CIV said CIV was better, so CV should be at least as good as that.

Who said that? People from L.A. who liked not having to travel?

There was no movie release for C4. How could it be better?

At C3 they showed nearly ALL of ROTS put to music, in sequential order, with even a little dialogue. That was never seen before and was the highlight of my convention experience along with meeting the guys from this site and this one girl that was our cocktail hostess at Friday's.

but unless you ask me to stop, I'll keep encouraging you to go to it.

That's fine. There's no one discouraging me to go, so I'm taking that upon myself.

I don't have to do the PROS and the CONS as long as you're doing the PROS.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I have to wonder how non-CA Forumites who're interested in SDC-C view this thread. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2010, 05:42 PM

At C3 they showed nearly ALL of ROTS put to music, in sequential order, with even a little dialogue. That was never seen before and was the highlight of my convention experience along with meeting the guys from this site and this one girl that was our cocktail hostess at Friday's.

I think just about everything at CIV was handled better. Sure, there was no upcoming movie release, but it was still tons of fun. As for upcoming releases, they previewed some early Clone Wars footage and that rocked the house, even though there wasn't much it was spectacular. (And I didn't see the ROTS clip thing, as I didn't want to spoil too much of the film.) The space at CIV was larger and felt like it, and things like the store were just miles better - I waited in line for about eight hours for the CIII store, and at CIV, you could just about walk right in (I did that first and there were basically no lines after that).

Anyway, does anyone want to grab me the Maul/Owen set? :D

JediTricks
07-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Ok, while talking to Steve just now, I realized that the SDCC press relations people haven't specified whether the badge will actually get press into the preview night. It normally acts as a standard 4-day badge, but since they've CHANGED how the 4-day badge works in relation to preview night, there's no clarity on the matter, and they're using the text from last year instead of writing new info on the press page. I may not be getting into SDCC on Wednesday at all. Oh, and even though this is the weekend before the show, they're not answering their phones and they're not viewing emails until AFTER the end of the show. :frus:

Bottom line, do not count on me being able to get ANYTHING from HasbroToyShop's booth, I suggest buying your stuff on HTS on the website if it goes up before the end of the show, the HTS line is a disaster every year and this situation has just gotten horrifically worse for me.

It's the same thing every year for even more than those years you've gone: I am tired of it by Sunday and want to stay home by the pool or even in my bed - but wish there were an extra day to go prowling the showroom (dealers' / exhibit) floor - but only AFTER I've had a rest.If you know it's coming, just rest up Saturday night and go Sunday to do the exhibitor hall instead of regretting it all on Monday.

Many use Sneak Preview Night to do this, but I didn't get SPN this year and ALSO - all the years I've had SPN I never use it for that. I make a bee-line straight for Hasbro Star Wars and forget to do ANYTHING else until they kick me out of the showroom (with occasional stops at SideShow and Hasbro Transformers while I'm at the Hasbro set-up anyhow - though maybe I also go to Diamond and look for new Trek - though anyone should ask "Why bother?"Yeah, Preview Night is a disaster this time around, and every year I get to do less than I hoped by getting roped into helping Steve.

It is a very quick drive (13 minutes in no traffic) and that's fine for anyone staying with me and saving $100-1,000 in hotel fees to even spend $120 on cab fare over 5 days to come and go as they wish. It's more than $120 for 1 night in most of the local hotels. Meanwhile, the trolley, though not always timed conveniently for everyone's plans, costs $5 for unlimited rides all day and Comic Con has a 5 day unlimited ride special for probably $25-30 (which is up to $90 less than all that cab fare).

So you really don't even need to rent a car for Comic Con, or pay for parking at the Con (if you have accomodations or share them).$5 is actually 4 days of unlimited trolley rides. But it takes between 40 minutes to an hour to get from your place to the con via trolley, I got over the hill last year in under 10 minutes via the freeway. And I did it sitting down the whole time with my stuff sitting comfortably in my trunk, which can't be said for the sardine cans that the trolley turns into at busy times. The trolley is good for some things, but not for others - storing stuff on-site, not being crushed by a million strangers for 40 minutes while you have to stand up... heck, the trolley at its worst is like standing in yet another SDCC line!!! :D

If I went to Celebration 5, I'd prefer to have my own personal hotel room which at $200 a night (typical for proximity and comfort) is $1,000 for the convention. Now I have the money (though then there's a plane ticket, a pet-sitter while I am away) and the fact that I'll be going to Florida IN AUGUST and would also like to see my Great Aunt (in Ft. Lauderdale - 5 hours away) and go to Epcott, take a fan boat into the Everglades, go on a cruise into the Bahamas and Bermuda Triangle, see the San Diego Padres' Dominican Republic Baseball Facility, and so forth - not to mention Universal, Disney, and the sorts of things that are repeated in Los Angeles but are nevertheless possibly better and at least somewhat different).

I still could swing this, but we'll have to see how I feel.Remember a few months ago I told you I had found a hotel within a mile of the convention center for $65 a night, so it's certainly something doable for under a grand. Also, you want to do everything, you want to turn a trip to C5 into a trip around the world, that's why you can't make it work in your head. :p

I question my C5 experience IN FLORIDA IN AUGUST. If this convention were in April or May, I would not have hesitated (I still may end up going to C5, but as I said, I would NOT have even hesitated!)This was the tipping point in my mind as well, to be honest. It's the start of hurricane season and it's supposedly unholy unpleasant weather. Plus, 3 weeks after SDCC was just too close. Of course, I was planning on there being more of a SW presence at SDCC, but they put up their panel schedule so late that it screwed me over.

Hang out here. You're welcome to BE here. There just will not be furniture for you to sleep on (nor floor space really) or a place to keep your stuff.I still don't see how you think I can hang out at your place that way, unfortunately I don't think it could work at all. Most of my time will be at the con, I can't come in a day early and leave late this year, and I have a big drive between my motel and the con in a different direction for your place.

I don't know what stuff you think I need space for, every year I've been at your place my entire amount of stuff has taken up part of that corner in the bedroom next to the TV, then the rest of the room is empty. :p

I will be sitting with you during Smallville I hope, and I don't know if Justified has a panel. I forgot about that. You might like that. I don't think Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy is your thing, but you'd get into them if you tried them. I think you watched the premier of Breaking Bad with me at my place one year.No panel for Justified or Breaking Bad.

I've always been that kind of personality. I make plans and preparations, definitely even supply runs, just to be LAZY :rolleyes:

How can you be lazy one day if you don't have groceries?! Man you'll go shopping or something if you don't have food! Plus (usually) delivery is all junk food and not good for your diet. If you're going to be lazy, you can't go all out and sacrafice your diet because then you'll have to work off the weight and that wouldn't be being lazy any more, would it?

I have to settle for being False-Lazy.Last time I came to your place around December, you said it was a big mess, I get there and I couldn't even see the box you turned out to be talking about until you pointed it out to me. Food is something you deal with either way, you know what you like, go to the store and get it quick, easy peasy. The rest seems like you worry about to excess, making yourself frantic over a level of perfection that you don't need to worry about. That's not lazy, trust me.

Yes and no. I'm trying to finish this post so I can leave for the Padres' game.You just explained it above, and now you're worrying about explaining it again! WORRY WART WORRY WART! :D

Why??? The aliens recapture their planet and unify their world. The End. A happy ending.Box office? People going into withdrawals without Pandora?

Or are humans such pricks that they come back again - maybe with British Pertroleum? :rolleyes:Can't see why they wouldn't come back, a small force was beaten and sent packing but there's a massive resource there and only a small number of natives to defend it. That ending was fairy tale nonsense really.

Even if there's to be a live-action show, it will all be on the web within hours.The CIV footage didn't, IIRC.

At C3 they showed nearly ALL of ROTS put to music, in sequential order, with even a little dialogue. That was never seen before and was the highlight of my convention experience along with meeting the guys from this site and this one girl that was our cocktail hostess at Friday's. Just how it's come up in conversations online and at SDCC with folks who specifically weren't from the area.

C4 had all 6 movies at once, was the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, and even without a movie drew the most people of any SW con.

I have to wonder how non-CA Forumites who're interested in SDC-C view this thread. :rolleyes:I don't understand. Are you saying there are other states in the union besides Southern California? :p

Tycho
07-18-2010, 06:16 AM
I don't understand. Are you saying there are other states in the union besides Southern California? :p

There are? When did this happen.

I suppose ugly things like the New York Yankees have to come from somewhere....

We don't create that kind of filth here.

JediTricks
07-18-2010, 01:15 PM
There are? When did this happen.

I suppose ugly things like the New York Yankees have to come from somewhere....

We don't create that kind of filth here.
Parallel dimensions.

Maradona
07-21-2010, 01:50 PM
PRE PAID PARKING WAS A SUCCESS! At least today it was.

Tycho
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
So is living in San Diego. I moved here more than 15 years ago and I have a prime location to stay for Comic Con :D

That's what I call great advanced planning!

Speaking of which: I was looking at my old e-mail to find my confirmation receipt to print out to get my badge for Comic Con.

I did not buy it early enough last year to get the Sneak Preview Night.

I bought it in October (on the 11th)!!!

LESSON TO LEARN: Buy your 2011 Comic Con 4-day pass with Sneak Preview Night NOW (or on Sunday or whenever they go on sale) and if you can't make it, I think you can return your e-tickets up to as late as in June of 2011.

I will probably make Comic Con next year too, but I cannot be completely sure. However, I'm buying my tickets ASAP so that next year I will once again have Sneak Preview Night as well.

El Chuxter
07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
May be too late for most people, but San Diego has a really efficient transit system. I usually stay with family in Chula Vista, and have never had a problem taking the trolley (or a combo of trolley and bus). Much cheaper for a multi-day transit pass than for even one day's worth of parking.

Maradona
07-21-2010, 05:51 PM
LESSON TO LEARN: Buy your 2011 Comic Con 4-day pass with Sneak Preview Night NOW (or on Sunday or whenever they go on sale) and if you can't make it, I think you can return your e-tickets up to as late as in June of 2011.

I will probably make Comic Con next year too, but I cannot be completely sure. However, I'm buying my tickets ASAP so that next year I will once again have Sneak Preview Night as well.

They are on sale for $105.

figrin bran
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I have returned from my trolley adventure to pick up tomorrow's pass.

They get really packed and it wasn't mostly con goers.

It nearly an hour in line to receive the badge though.

El Chuxter
07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
It's too bad we won't be there on Sunday.

The youngest member of our party would totally win the Masquerade.