PDA

View Full Version : A picture of every star wars figure ever made

IG 8D8
10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm wondering if it possible to make a picture of every star wars figure out there. Starting with vintage figs and working left to right, up to Legacy. Not on 3 or 4 levels like some figure posters but all in one line. How big would this thing be??? There is a way to compile smaller pictures into one big one, that is how they did a picture of the world's tallest tree. This line up would be so long I imagine it would be quite zoomed out to see the whole thing at once, but on a computer you could zoom in to different sections and scroll down the line. I don't know if anything like that has been attempted but how cool would it be if you could pull it off!

Slicker
10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Seeing as there have been in excess of several hundred individual characters and most likely a grand total of nearly 1,000 figures made (a rough estimate but probably pretty close if you go with resculpts and whatnot...) and using a very VERY conservative measurement for each figure being about 2 inches wide you're looking at a line of figures that's about 160+ feet long.

DarkArtist
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
i sorta want to do something like this but do it as a character breakdown or movie breakdown. i'm not sure if it would be possible to make a picture containing all known figures plus variations. (also still missing a few figures here and there)

I'm hoping to catalog my collection soon and if so might try and upload the pics to here.

SirSteve
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com) is working on doing just this, and not just for Star Wars but to become the worlds largest catalog of collectibles online. v2 beta is right around the corner and it's simple awesome! :thumbsup:

There is a book coming out that has every product photo up last year I believe.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
There is a book coming out that has every product photo up last year I believe.That would be something I'd like to get. I really liked The Action Figure Archive, as it helped me get caught up on all of the POTF2 figures I had missed. There has been so much more released since then that such a book would dwarf that one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I think Steve is probably referring to 1001 Collectibles by Steve Sansweet. Needless to say, it won't be covering everything; as Slicker said, there have been at least 1000 figures (I have around 1600, but that's including many army builders).

As to the point of the question, I think that would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do.

El Chuxter
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
If someone set their mind to it, it could be done. It would require not only a complete set of figures and somewhere to display them in a continuous line (several dozen feet, at least, I'd think), but some above-average photography and PhotoShop skills.

And are you including Yak-Face and Vlix in this? That could make it near to impossible.

IG 8D8
10-15-2009, 01:42 AM
yeah, every figure that's been made. 160 feet long? That's crazy! I can see this being a web page where you have a magnifying glass tool and can zoom in for a closer look at any point. The year and collection could be posted under each one.

SirSteve
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Actually, I am referring to Todd DeMartinos' The Saga Musuem (http://www.thesagamuseum.com/blog/default.aspx) due out soon. It has every Hasbro Star Wars toy produced from 1997 - 2007. Pre-orders are being accepted now so if you order, be sure to tell them SSG referred you!

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I wonder how large a photo would have to be to make every figure recognizable. I remember back in the vintage kenner days, the cardbacks towards the end of the line with nearly 100 figures on it, you could barely make some of the figures out at all, and we've got probably 8 times as many figures by now. That'd make a wild poster.

Snowtrooper
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM
We might be talking a mural sized poster to get everything to fit and be recognizable.

bigbarada
10-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Even if you kept the figure photos the same size as the figures on the "92-back" POTF cards, it would still require a poster-sized image to get everything in from 1995 up until now.

RUSHBOY
10-17-2009, 12:26 AM
So how many figures do we have per movie ?
My guess is

Star wars 200
ESB 175
ROTJ 175
TPM 150
AOTC 150
ROTS 130

That's just my guess ! :whip:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Hard to say, since some figures could be used for more than one movie.

Lord Malakite
10-17-2009, 03:37 AM
I wonder how large a photo would have to be to make every figure recognizable. I remember back in the vintage kenner days, the cardbacks towards the end of the line with nearly 100 figures on it, you could barely make some of the figures out at all, and we've got probably 8 times as many figures by now. That'd make a wild poster.
Checklist of things to find:

5 Drunk Jedi Lukes
Chorus line of R2s
Wilma
Sad "Mismatched" BAF Droid R2-C3P-D2-O-D4-X
Magic Scroll
Swearing Jabba Sail barge
Woof
Weequay Pirate
Waldo
Rancor Bone
The Wally Watchers