PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Clone Wars Y-wing

JediTricks
10-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I picked this up last night at Target thanks to a little birthday money I had set aside for just this.

Overall, it's pretty good. It's way bigger than the classic Y-wing (wider, longer before the engines taken into account), makes that thing look like a dink, but it also has a lot in common with it so it has a good lineage feel with that. I can understand the need for price increase, this is a big ship, it's heavy and nearly as long as the Falcon, but it really doesn't feel like $60 of toy, at best like $45.

Sculpt is pretty good, generally sharp and crisp, all the inside areas have sculpted detail, even the insides of the landing gear bays have cross-hatching. The engines are removable and they sculpted detail from the original Y-wing engine inside the remaining part which is a good throwback. The ship looks good without the rear engines, a little like the profile of the Naboo Royal Starship.

Lots of weapons, most of which are actually taken from the cross-section Y-wing imagery so that's cool. The front spring-loaded torpedoes are very easy to accidentally fire while opening the rear canopy though. The interior of the hidden missile bay is spacious enough to store the torpedoes and bombs when not in play. The nose has long front cannons which is great, very accurate.

Both cockpits are well sculpted, the front one has a control yoke that can actually be used. There are 30-something stickers, and the ONLY one that is necessary goes behind the front seat, the rest are unnecessary. The rear cockpit has a control yoke but it's in the turret bubble, too high to really use.

Generally, this is a nifty ship, and I only have a handful of issues to call out against it:

- Mine came with a crack on the left engine, that's no good. It can be glued, but at this price Hasbro better replace it.

- The bubble turret doesn't rotate, this is a huge shame. The cannons only elevate about 15 degrees. The seat, while raised, isn't as high as it should be, even Cmdr Cody needs a booster seat to get his eyes over the bottom of the bubble.

- The torpedo-launching buttons are right where one would put their fingers to open the rear canopy, as I already mentioned.

- The droid slot is sculpted to accept an astromech from the regular line, but those droids are 1/4 of an inch taller than the CW astromechs so the CW astromechs look totally lost in there, the rim of the slot coming up to the radar eye. I put a cardboard lift in there for now.

- At $60+, there should really be one more action gimmick, maybe another auto landing gear like the original, or at least a swiveling turret.

clone157
10-16-2009, 07:27 PM
That is a shame JT. It seems that Hasbro always leaves out something that would transform a toy from good to great. Give them a couple of years, and they will redo it. By then it will be a $100 vehicle.

El Chuxter
10-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I only had two thoughts: "This thing costs too much!" and "Would the armor plating come off to make it an OT Y-Wing?"

Bar
10-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Great review.
Can you take some images and post pics?
I have seen the promo images, but i'd like to see some taken by people here who have shelled out their own money to buy one.

bigbarada
10-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I saw this the other day and considered buying it; but I decided to pay my rent instead. :upset:

If they're still around at Christmas time, I'll probably pick one up because I love the design. In fact, I think Lucas should digitally erase those hideous ARC-170 fighters and insert these Y-Wings into ROTS.

Bar
10-17-2009, 02:25 PM
In fact, I think Lucas should digitally erase those hideous ARC-170 fighters and insert these Y-Wings into ROTS.

It would have been cool to have heard: "Oddball, do you copy?", and cut to these things for sure...
But that's not the way it went down unfortunately.
And the Arc-170 isn't that bad!
:D

bigbarada
10-17-2009, 05:09 PM
It would have been cool to have heard: "Oddball, do you copy?", and cut to these things for sure...
But that's not the way it went down unfortunately.
And the Arc-170 isn't that bad!
:D

I thought the overall design of the ARC-170 was alright, but the "s-foils" were just lame. I can almost hear the ILM design meeting for this craft, "Well, the X-Wings had 2 wings that opened up to 4 wings, so let's make a new vehicle with 2 wings that open up to 6 wings! This will be the best movie ever!" I guess that's what's passes for creativity at Lucasfilm these days.

figrin bran
10-18-2009, 01:34 AM
JT, what I do is lift the droid slot up, stick CW R2 through and then lower it down. R2 fits quite snugly, though at the expense of being a little too high up but I'd rather have it that way than sunk in way into the slot.

Bar
10-18-2009, 06:01 AM
I thought the overall design of the ARC-170 was alright, but the "s-foils" were just lame. I can almost hear the ILM design meeting for this craft, "Well, the X-Wings had 2 wings that opened up to 4 wings, so let's make a new vehicle with 2 wings that open up to 6 wings! This will be the best movie ever!" I guess that's what's passes for creativity at Lucasfilm these days.

I suppose.
I have often thought the Arc-170 would have looked cool with just traditional X-wings. It's a different enough body that even if it had X-wings it would have pointed in the right direction, style-wise. even in a contemporary company like Lockheed-Martin, you can see a design lineage in their products, so it's easy to imagine that X-wings could have been an innovation that led to the T-65.
If i display an Arc-170, it's always with the S-foils closed. They look too weak when opened up.
Anyway.
Back to the Y-wing!!!
Anyone got good pics yet???

JediTricks
10-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I only had two thoughts: "This thing costs too much!" and "Would the armor plating come off to make it an OT Y-Wing?"
The OT Y-wing is the BTL-S version, while the CW version is the BTL-B. I'm thinking "Strike" vs "Bomber", but it is a cool idea. The rear cockpit wouldn't match up though with the bubble turret.

Great review.
Can you take some images and post pics?
I have seen the promo images, but i'd like to see some taken by people here who have shelled out their own money to buy one.Thanks.
I'm a little busy right now, but I'll see what I can do. It's really big so it's hard to take photos of the whole thing from 1 shot.

I saw this the other day and considered buying it; but I decided to pay my rent instead. :upset:

If they're still around at Christmas time, I'll probably pick one up because I love the design. In fact, I think Lucas should digitally erase those hideous ARC-170 fighters and insert these Y-Wings into ROTS.Rent schment. ;) I know what you mean, I was so tempted to touch that birthday money I had set aside for this a month and a half ago but knew I wouldn't be able to afford the Y-wing if I did.

I am not in love with the ARC-170 either, but I think it's funny that Lucas could literally do exactly what you're saying with ease.

I thought the overall design of the ARC-170 was alright, but the "s-foils" were just lame. I can almost hear the ILM design meeting for this craft, "Well, the X-Wings had 2 wings that opened up to 4 wings, so let's make a new vehicle with 2 wings that open up to 6 wings! This will be the best movie ever!" I guess that's what's passes for creativity at Lucasfilm these days.I don't really mind the S-foil wings, although your point is totally accurate, but what bugs me is the squat, rounded body that houses 3 guys AND a droid but has less weaponry than an X-wing, and then it has those wide, ugly wings and fat, silly-looking cannons. The ARC-170 and the V-19 Torrent have the same complaint from me in fact, that their primary weapons are WAAAAAY out at the ends of their wings, they're big ugly box cannon weapons and they're in a location that's utterly useless, the guns that far away from the gunner means poor aim every time and it makes it easier to bank into one's own fire.

JT, what I do is lift the droid slot up, stick CW R2 through and then lower it down. R2 fits quite snugly, though at the expense of being a little too high up but I'd rather have it that way than sunk in way into the slot.I tried that, it didn't look right to me, and the figure kept dropping down when I'd bump into it. That's why I made a half-inch-tall cardboard riser, that and I just don't like how it looks with the figure sticking out too far.

Back to the Y-wing!!!
Anyone got good pics yet???RS has some decent pics of the production model: http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWvehYwingBomber.asp

DarkJedi5
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
On the topic of Clone Wars vehicles, I must say I am still disappointed we never saw a Z-95 Headhunter. In the EU I grew up with this was supposed to be one of the key fighters of the Clone Wars era and a stepping stone towards the X-Wing, still I don't think it's appeared in an CW comic, episode, or part of a movie.

JediTricks
10-24-2009, 02:25 PM
The Z-95 never did it for me in terms of design, it just looks too much like an X-wing with less going on. Especially without a droid socket, that ship is also super limited to local skirmishes.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2009, 07:05 PM
This ship isn't an exclusive is it? I've not seen it anywhere yet. Of course, I haven't checked K-Mart, and we don't have a TRU anymore.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
This ship isn't an exclusive is it? I've not seen it anywhere yet. Of course, I haven't checked K-Mart, and we don't have a TRU anymore.
Nope, it's not exclusive. I've only seen it at one Target, so it should be spreading, provided those ARC-170s make way for it.

Sean the Hutt
10-25-2009, 06:31 AM
I love this thing! better gauge plastic. feels heavy. I like the opening bomb bay. Yes lights and sounds would have been great. Still, a quality ship. Thanks hasbro. I got mine at target. Bought both. The y wing is my favorite ship.

steve2477
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I like this, but i think its very expensive, i think its going to be 70 over here in the UK.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Found one at the Target in Mt. Vernon, WA. Looked like it was the only one there.

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 03:40 AM
My local Target keeps getting 1 more, and then I buy it and they put out another, and I buy it and they put out another, yet it's clear they have room for more and aren't putting them out, so I dunno what's going on. (I bought 2 because the first I bought had a broken part)

Scackmgack
11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
I picked one of these up on Friday, opened it up - and it is going back today. Missing one of the torpedoes so Target will take it back, and I'm glad it was missing something because this ship is SO not worth the price tag in my honest opinion.

For $40, I would keep this. I have a weakness for starfighters particularly. Even so, I never get re-prints like the V-Wing and ARC-170 in the "Empire colors" because that's just a waste of money for me. I picked up the CW Y-Wing because it was something new.

What a disappointment.

First, the price tag is completely unjustified. The only "feature" this toy has are two missile launchers which rotate up from the back of the ship. This is one of those "the ship doesn't actually have these in the show/in the movie but it will look cool on the toy." As such, I don't consider it a real feature, but something I could do without.

It does have two torpedo launchers right under the front cockpit, and two bombs that drop behind those. The buttons to fire the torpedoes and drop the bombs are all on the top of the vehicle, and they're a little sensitive as JT told you.

The mold on the cockpits is good, but the plastic on the front laser cannons and the turret guns is very soft such that on my copy of this toy the front guns were bent out of position, and the tips of the turret guns were actually bent. I don't get why they use such soft plastic like this. It reminds me of the Geonosian starfighter which is always bent out of shape because Hasbro skipped out on the hard plastic for the front of the fuselage, top and bottom. What a shame.

In terms of the paint job, the Y-Wing is incredibly boring. The decals look like they'd give some lines to look at if applied, but there's very little that catches the eye. It's nondescript.

Add all this up, and it becomes impossible for me to justify $65 for this thing. The price tag is an absolute ripoff. I think this is an item for completion-collectors, but if you're more discerning like I am in your SW collection then this Y-Wing is to be skipped. It's just too expensive for what you get.

I don't mind paying high prices if I get what I paid for. Just the size of a toy doesn't impress me. For $65 this Y-Wing should have some kind of electronics in it at the very least, and come with a figure.

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
The guns on the front of them are all narrowed, not bent individually but as a pair so they're pointed closer than they should be. This is because of the cardboard frame meant to keep the ship in the packaging. It was the same on both the first one I got and its replacement.

As for the turret guns bent, both of the ones I experienced had that a little as well, and I don't see what could have caused it.

The Geonosis fighter and the guns on the Y-wing are rubbery for safety, they don't want to get sued by a kid who puts his eyes out playing with the thing. I really don't expect the Y-wing to do what the Geo fighter did though, that is just ugly as hell, it's like the ship interpreted by Salvador Dali: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Persistence_of_Memory.jpg

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I got this for my birthday yesterday and I think it's pretty awesome. I put Matchstick and a Tank Gunner (they were nearby) in there and they looked great. This is one of the best designs to come out of the show, so I'm glad to have it.

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Congrats on the birthday get! Glad to hear you dig it. I need to track down Matchstick, right now I have the space-gear clone as the pilot and Cody as the gunner.

Bar
12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Are these things still on shelves???
I haven't seen ANY on this side of the pond...

bigbarada
12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Are these things still on shelves???
I haven't seen ANY on this side of the pond...

They had two at my Walmart yesterday, marked down to $45.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice price! I haven't noticed them here lately.

bigbarada
12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Nice price! I haven't noticed them here lately.

Yep, I went back today to but some blank CDs and they only had one left. It's a nice looking vehicle, I just don't have the space for it.

JediTricks
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
It's worth getting if you can. The engines pop off (to simulate battle damage) making its footprint not much bigger than a standard $20 vehicle.

morpheus282
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Checked a Walmart two days ago and they were still full price as was the AT-ST. If I came across one for $45 (and used the $5 off $20 coupon) I'd have no choice but to buy it. It looks really cool, but I just can't justify the $65 price right now.