PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Padme's StarSkiff Vehicle (from ROTS)?

Tycho
10-19-2009, 08:49 AM
I am continuing my new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Padme's StarSkiff Vehicle from Revenge of the Sith).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Padme's StarSkiff Vehicle from Revenge of the Sith?

I envision this vehicle for the $70 price range possibly, though it should be much cheaper - really. This ship doesn't need to be too elaborate and it's not that large, plus they can make it way underscale.

However, the cockpit should hold 2 figures, Padme and Typho, or C-3PO, and recently in Clone Wars, Anakin.

This vehicle should come "bare bones" with perhaps an opening ramp and a top panel you can remove to access empty cabin space with a hiding compartment for Obi-Wan (I took it that was a closet or the bathroom in ROTS).

Do you want this ship made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

This vehicle was seen in Clone Wars multiple times. So kids might recognize it.

Devo
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Probably not. I have scant interest in toys from ROTS generally as I think its the very worst SW film. IMO no vehicle got enough screentime in that film to warrant being made, at least none that have not been made already.

I thought I might buy the turbo tank when pics of that first showed up because I thought it looked pretty cool however I still haven't bought it to date. Not even sure I will when it gets reduced. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for a blink&miss vehicle from a blink&miss segment of ROTS. Thus padme's ship would fare even worse for me.

I think it was stupid that she had to have a different ship in every film. Same goes for the jedi. For me its another reason the prequels are inferior. No vehicles that tie all the films together such as the OT had with the Falcon, x-wings, TIE fighters and star destroyer. It just kinda came across as a cynical 'because we can' rather than having any in-universe reason for it.

pbarnard
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Nope. Same problems as all the other Nubian vessels. They can't do the finish right, so easily passable. No way they could make it large enough to have all the "room" from the interies we do see. Also, Clone Wars seems to have a different layout than the movie again.

El Chuxter
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I'll echo Devo, though I think it's second-worst. Take out the stupid Clonetrooper variants who were clearly cooked up for toy sales, the repeat Jedi (even if they had ugly masks that bore little resemblance to the character as seen in the previous movie), and there's not much left. And, of what there is, I'm only interested in Queen Apailana, Cin Drallig, Jocasta Nu, Owen in Luke's tunic, maybe a couple of senators, and the cut-scene Clonetrooper in Jedi robes as far as currently unconfirmed stuff goes. I can't think of a single vehicle from the movie I need or want.

DarkJedi5
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, this ship would be a pass even though it's been seen in at least the most recent CW episode. There are other ships from ROTS I'd be more interested in.

bigbarada
10-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Didn't we already vote on this ship? Exactly how is it different from the chromed-pickle she flew in AOTC?

Just the fact that I have no real memory of this ship gets it a no vote from me. As we approach the 5th anniversary of ROTS, the prequels are becoming more and more forgettable. TPM is still the only one that seems to stand the test of time.

Devo
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
As we approach the 5th anniversary of ROTS, the prequels are becoming more and more forgettable. TPM is still the only one that seems to stand the test of time.

Well there are parts of AOTC that I still think were good but yeah overall TPM is holding up the best for me. Could be nostalgia goggles but of all of them its seems the most Star warsy, anakins bad acting can be excused because its a child actor (and he was certainly the best of those that were auditioned), Liam neeson was great, Maul was cool, the soundtrack was Williams' best of his PT work etc etc. It still seems to be more popular to point to TPM as the pinnacle of SW crappiness but I reckon ROTS comes off worse.

Darth Jax
10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
no. i'd pass on it if made.

IG 8D8
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm surprised at everyone's hatred of ROTS, while not the best star wars movie it had some pretty amazing scenes. The battle over coruscant was very good as were the Dooku and Grievous moments. Kashyyk was short but sweet. The Mustafar duel was exciting even though the outcome is predictable. The worst thing for me was watching all the main characters get killed throughout the movie until you're left with only 3 or 4. As for the vehicle I'd be interested if they got the exterior right. Look at the shine of Padme's ship from TPM and then look at the toy that was made, that's the issue.

Devo
10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
The only parts of ROTS I liked were the Dooku duel and the climactic Vader/obi-wan duel. I didn't particularly rate any of the other bits you mention. Grievous was a pointless, time wasting villain, just another excuse for more CGI. His role should have been filled by Dooku. And the battle over coruscant wasn't a patch on the DSII space battle.

El Chuxter
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I have to disagree with you. The battle over Coruscant was a dizzying mess and looked like a cutscene from a video game. The Mustafar battle was one-sided and dull; after we were (quite literally) promised the best lightsaber duel in history, it paled in comparison to Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, or even either Luke vs Vader battle. Kashyyyk was utter fanwank and served no purpose. The Jedi showed themselves to be utterly incompetent; the only one who was able to put up any fight was a kid. Palpatine's fight with the Masters was laughably bad, particularly McDiarmid's insanely bad acting. (Also, after being told for years about how the Dark Side ages one prematurely, and even seeing this from TPM to AOTC, we didn't need the stupid "melting Palpatine" shtick to explain why he's all shriveled 24 years later.)

Worst of all was the character progression. Anakin starts out on top of the world. Palpatine uses his influence to put Anakin on the Council, but they don't want to make him a Master. Then he has a bad dream and Palpatine tells him he can save his wife. This is enough for him to go totally evil in the blink of an eye, despite being told outright by Palpatine that he was lying to him. His response? "Wipe these tears off; I'm going to go kill kids!" Anakin's fall is rushed, because so little of it was addressed in the first two movies, and the first half of ROTS is wasted on an extraneous (though, admittedly, cool-looking) Grievous subplot... and Grievous failed to live up to the character seen in the Clone Wars micro-series.

Anakin gets attacked by Obi-Wan, who certainly doesn't seem to be trying to save his friend, this after he and Padme re-enact the Bespin dialogue between Vader and Luke for the second time in the prequels. (In AOTC, it was one of the better moments. Here, it's stupid, especially since Vader wouldn't want to remember this, and it's unlikely he'd repeat it to his son almost verbatim years later.) And Yoda strolls in like a badarse to fight Palpatine (his dealing with the Guards is another cool moment), only to give up for little reason at all.

Oh, and in the end, most unforgivable, the one mostly strong female character suddenly dies of a broken heart, leaving her kids to fend for themselves, and contradicting not only stuff from previous novels, but from the original films as well. By this point, I was so sick of lousy storytelling that Lucas contradicting everything he'd said about C-3PO never receiving a memory wipe, Obi-Wan being a little too enthusiastic when Yoda seems to have flipped his lid (since they couldn't bother to reschedule shooting one scene around Neeson's schedule and simply left him out, making Yoda look insane and Obi-Wan look stupid), and that ridiculous scene of Vader crying and yelling like a toddler--these barely even registered. The only thing that kept me from throwing tomatoes at the screen was the stunning final scene on Tatooine. (Spielberg is known to have ghost-directed one scene, though no one will say which one. Until I learned this bit was filmed alongside AOTC in 2001, I thought this was the scene, since it's so much better than anything in the movie.)

Long story short, ROTS is not a horrible film, and it's not even the worst Star Wars film, thanks to AOTC. But it is certainly not a good film. I'm considering, until she learns to read Roman numerals and count and wonders where III is, showing my daughter I-II, Tartakovksy's Clone Wars, and IV-VI, and telling her we don't know exactly how Anakin turned into Vader.

Devo
10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
and also this^

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I think ROTS is the best SW film, and I could go point-by-point, but there's really no reason to. Go look at the hundreds of threads where I've discussed it before if anyone cares.

Anyway, to the point of the thread, I don't know. Padmé's ships are all pretty interchangeable to me. Isn't this basically a scaled-down version of the one that blows up in AOTC? I can't really see them making this, even with its appearance in the show. (Though I do like that she now has the ROTS ship in the show, seeing as Jar Jar destroyed her AOTC one.)

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I've got time to kill, and it's been a while. :D

The Mustafar battle was one-sided and dull; after we were (quite literally) promised the best lightsaber duel in history, it paled in comparison to Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, or even either Luke vs Vader battle.
Do you mean strictly in terms of physicality, or emotion, or what? Emotionally, it had much more resonance than anything in TPM, AOTC, or ANH. I'd put it about on par with the Luke vs. Vader stuff. For me, it's just sad to see them going at it; aside from that, I do think it's a pretty spectacular fight - maybe not as much as Maul's stuff, but still really damn good.

Kashyyyk was utter fanwank and served no purpose.
Well, it showed how far the Clone Wars had spread, and how the Jedi needed to go throughout the galaxy to fight. As far as serving no purpose, Lucas has always talked about doing some things just for whimsy (particularly when discussing the Dewbacks). I don't think this is worse than anything else we've seen throughout the series.

The Jedi showed themselves to be utterly incompetent; the only one who was able to put up any fight was a kid. Palpatine's fight with the Masters was laughably bad, particularly McDiarmid's insanely bad acting.
I've been realizing lately that people built up the Jedi - either in their minds or through EU - to be superheroes, when that's really not the case. In AOTC, it was established several times that the Dark Side was clouding their minds and that their "ability to use the Force [was] diminished." On Geonosis, there were around 200 Jedi (I believe), and fewer than 20 survivors. If they couldn't stand up to battle droids, then how could they stand up to the far superior clones? Also, there wasn't anything to indicate that their troopers would turn on them, and most of them were already distracted by battles to focus on their clones.

I agree that Agen, Saesee, and Kit should have been able to put up more of a fight, but again, they were completely caught off-guard so it's not too bad.

(Also, after being told for years about how the Dark Side ages one prematurely, and even seeing this from TPM to AOTC, we didn't need the stupid "melting Palpatine" shtick to explain why he's all shriveled 24 years later.)
Was this anything other than fans speculating? I remember people talking about this a long time ago, but I don't recall anything official on this (or even anything from the EU, which of course is not official).

Worst of all was the character progression. Anakin starts out on top of the world. Palpatine uses his influence to put Anakin on the Council, but they don't want to make him a Master. Then he has a bad dream and Palpatine tells him he can save his wife. This is enough for him to go totally evil in the blink of an eye, despite being told outright by Palpatine that he was lying to him. His response? "Wipe these tears off; I'm going to go kill kids!" Anakin's fall is rushed, because so little of it was addressed in the first two movies, and the first half of ROTS is wasted on an extraneous (though, admittedly, cool-looking) Grievous subplot... and Grievous failed to live up to the character seen in the Clone Wars micro-series.
In retrospect, though, AOTC sets up a great deal of Anakin's fall. He feels like Obi-Wan and the other Jedi are holding him back - he says as much a few times. Meanwhile, he trusts Palpatine, who we learn has been looking out for him ever since he started his training. Palpatine constantly builds Anakin up when the Jedi are only beating him down.

He explicitly states that he wants to be the most powerful Jedi ever - well, even more than wanting it, he outright says that's how it's going to be. He also says that he "will even be able to stop people from dying." (I didn't think much of that at the time, but it's obviously ominous after having seen ROTS.) Palpatine agrees with him ("I foresee you becoming more powerful than any Jedi - even Master Yoda"), when the Jedi only want to hold him back (from Anakin's point of view, at least). In ROTS, he's conflicted about it to a point - "Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more, but I know I shouldn't." Padmé even tells him not to worry about his dreams. But his passions ultimately overtake him.

With the dream, again, AOTC set it up. It's not like he was just having normal nightmares, or that the Padmé stuff was the first time he had such dreams. He had premonitions of his mother's death, which came true, so of course he would be unsettled by having dreams of Padmé dying.

When he goes to the Jedi with this news, Yoda reinforces the idea that Anakin needs to lose his attachments. As we saw in TPM and AOTC, this doesn't come easy, and he can overreact when faced with the idea of losing someone (just ask the Tusken Raiders :p ). So, when Palpatine mentions that the Dark Side can be the pathway to saving people from death, Anakin is obviously more intrigued by this than he is by the idea of just letting go. He's more passionate and loyal to Padmé than he is to the Jedi - he's willing to get kicked out of the Jedi Order so that he can be with her.

Finding out about Darth Plagueis comes after he is appointed to the Council. This is just another instance of Palpatine being better to Anakin than the Jedi are. Again, this is underlined by the fact that he isn't made a Master - Palpatine thinks Anakin should be on the Council, but if the Jedi had their way, he wouldn't be.

The whole thing with Darth Plagueis is left muddy, perhaps too much for some people. Palpatine says that Plagueis taught his apprentice everything he knew, and later says that his own mentor taught him everything about the Force, "even the nature of the Dark Side." From this, we assume that Palpatine was Plagueis' apprentice, though it's never explicitly stated in the film. Palpatine does say, "Learn to know the Dark Side of the Force and you will be able to save Padmé from certain death" or something similar, and "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi," which, if nothing else, ties back in to Anakin wanting to be more powerful. The big "lie" you always talk about comes when Palpatine says, "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but I know if we work together, then we will be able to discover the secret." I don't see it as him revealing a lie, just reinforcing that the Dark Side offered a solution - albeit a vague, possibly distant one - while the Light Side didn't have anything.

If anything, the micro-series built up Grievous too much. The first time I saw his introduction, I thought he was way over the top, with the swinging and clutching the saber in his foot. I grew to like it, and the way he went out in ROTS was a disappointment at first given how he was portrayed in the cartoon. But the cartoon blew everything out of proportion - Mace destroying an entire planet's worth of droids, Yoda levitating the Destroyer Droids during the battle, etc.

But the Grievous stuff was a way for Obi-Wan to be off, away from Anakin, so that Anakin could get closer to Palpatine and farther from the Jedi. Like Kashyyyk, it expanded the scope of the Clone Wars, showing that the Jedi were busy with all of it. The more action-oriented stuff that involved Anakin served a few purposes, including to show him as the hero that he was, and also to show him letting his anger get the better of him when he killed Dooku.

Anakin gets attacked by Obi-Wan, who certainly doesn't seem to be trying to save his friend, this after he and Padme re-enact the Bespin dialogue between Vader and Luke for the second time in the prequels.
Yoda sent Obi-Wan to fight Vader. He tried to reason with Anakin when he first got to Mustafar, but he saw what Yoda had told him: Anakin was already gone. Obi-Wan literally says "I will do what I must," showing that he didn't want to fight, but it was really the only way. Besides, it's Vader who makes the first move, not Obi-Wan.

The discussion between Anakin and Padmé served to show that Anakin was so far gone that he would go against Padmé, who was one of the reasons he turned in the first place. He had gone so far that he had cut himself off from even those who were closest to him. I don't think we're supposed to think that, on Bespin, he was remembering this moment, just that he had been attempting to become more powerful than Palpatine for a long time.

Oh, and in the end, most unforgivable, the one mostly strong female character suddenly dies of a broken heart, leaving her kids to fend for themselves, and contradicting not only stuff from previous novels, but from the original films as well.
There's that other recent thread on this, but I think she knew that Obi-Wan and Bail would be able to look after them. Certainly, her raising them would raise some serious Imperial eyebrows. And your claim that Leia traveled around in Padmé's suitcase is dubious at best. :p

Lucas contradicting everything he'd said about C-3PO never receiving a memory wipe
Where was this exactly?

Obi-Wan being a little too enthusiastic when Yoda seems to have flipped his lid (since they couldn't bother to reschedule shooting one scene around Neeson's schedule and simply left him out, making Yoda look insane and Obi-Wan look stupid)
I'm fairly sure it had nothing to do with a schedule, but rather that they scripted it out but it didn't work. Maybe I read something wrong. But Yoda hears Qui-Gon's voice in AOTC, so that's at least something to set it up. And I don't think Obi-Wan was being enthusiastic, but more surprised. Dunno.

The only thing that kept me from throwing tomatoes at the screen was the stunning final scene on Tatooine. (Spielberg is known to have ghost-directed one scene, though no one will say which one. Until I learned this bit was filmed alongside AOTC in 2001, I thought this was the scene, since it's so much better than anything in the movie.)
They shot some footage for this scene while doing AOTC, but they ended up redoing it on a greenscreen while doing ROTS, just using the backgrounds they already had. I think I read in the Making of ROTS book that Spielberg had worked in some capacity on the Yoda vs. Sidious duel, though I could be wrong. There were going to be giant screens throughout the rotunda showing their fight, and I sort of think that was his idea.

El Chuxter
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I care. It is my mission in life to change your mind. Only when you have let go of your love of ROTS will you truly be a man... And only a fully-grown man will be able singlehandedly save humanity when Skyreuters sends a planet-sized tank to get a Slurpee in or around the year 2056, thus saving us all from the Douche Cyberwar.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I care. It is my mission in life to change your mind. Only when you have let go of your love of ROTS will you truly be a man... And only a fully-grown man will be able singlehandedly save humanity when Skyreuters sends a planet-sized tank to get a Slurpee in or around the year 2056, thus saving us all from the Douche Cyberwar.
Good thing you care, since I just spent a long-*** time editing my post. :D

And nothing can stop the Douche Cyberwar.

ALL HELL DOUCHE!!!!

Devo
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Do you mean strictly in terms of physicality, or emotion, or what? Emotionally, it had much more resonance than anything in TPM, AOTC, or ANH. I'd put it about on par with the Luke vs. Vader stuff. For me, it's just sad to see them going at it;

This is the thing, I didn't really feel anything when they were fighting. The previous 2 films and the beginnings of ROTS just didn't convey anything believable in terms of how old Ben had described their relationship. I think they shared about 1 line of dialogue in TPM - what a waste. In AOTC and ROTS they were mostly off on seperate missions. Everything was left offscreen for us to 'assume'. So come time for the final duel, I didn't feel any particular emotional resonance from it. There should have been, but there just wasn't. Obi-wans despairing speech at the end was good...if you pretend that Lucas actually did his job and wrote the characters the way he originally described in ANH.

Tycho
10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
For a poll from A New Hope, I'm going to use the thread already started by AdultStarWarsFreak, asking Would You Buy A New Dash Rendar Outrider Vehicle? (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41231)

Let's join that discussion already in progress.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Noooooo000.

Tycho
11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
In a definite vote-of-no-confidence, Padme's starskiff vehicle from ROTS (her smaller winged ship she flew to Mustafar) has lost 2-9 for a "no vote" that leaves no room for interpretation.

It doesn't look like ROTS gets any love for vehicles - at least by the choices I've polled so far.

Winners from other movies include:

TPM - MTT and Radiant VII (2)
AOTC - Dooku's Solar Sailor, and the Separatist Shuttle (2)
ANH - Rebel Blockade Runner, Lars Family Landspeeder (2)
ESB - Twin Pod Cloud Car (1)
ROTJ - Jabba's Sailbarge (1)

The latest round of OT vehicles polled for still have potential votes coming in, so there is not yet a score for the Outrider, Rebel Transport, or a Re-release of the Imperial Shuttle. But stand by.

Tycho
02-08-2010, 03:14 AM
This is Padme's personal ship, also flown by Obi-Wan Kenobi leaving Mustafar with the dying Senator.

It's garnering no favor here, in spite of it also appearing in The Clone Wars Animated Series.

Sad. Because I think it might sell anyway as it is a main-character's ship.

Darth Metalmute
02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Whats the difference bewtween this one and the one in the opening of EII?

DarkJedi5
02-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Whats the difference bewtween this one and the one in the opening of EII?

Yeah, these seem to be confusing people so I've got some pics. So from left to right they are (and these all come off of Wookieepedia so don't go nailin me to a cross) a J-type Nubian Royal Starship (EI), a J-type Diplomatic Barge (Beginning of EII but quickly destroyed), an H-type Nubian Yacht (EII used to get from Naboo to Tatooine and from Tatooine to Geonosis) and finally a J-type Star Skiff (EIII used to get from Coruscant to Mustafar)

On second though I change my vote from a no to a yes. This is probably as close as we'd get to my favorite ship (the Barge) so I'd take this one.

Darth Metalmute
02-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks DarkJedi5,
I'll vote for yes. I don't think a big one will be made but I think these would be cool as a fighter class design.

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 12:07 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Well suckers, they made your ship for you. And you thought the Sith Infiltrator was small, they made this one a Deluxe Figure & Vehicle set! It's a mini-rig!
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/figures-with-vehicles/p33203-hasbro-star-wars.html

El Chuxter
02-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Funny thing, it looks better in that size.

bigbarada
02-14-2010, 12:18 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Well suckers, they made your ship for you. And you thought the Sith Infiltrator was small, they made this one a Deluxe Figure & Vehicle set! It's a mini-rig!
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/figures-with-vehicles/p33203-hasbro-star-wars.html

I think they should release a Star Destroyer like that. :D

JediTricks
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I think they should release a Star Destroyer like that. :D
Shhhh! Don't give them ideas.

DarkJedi5
02-14-2010, 03:30 AM
When I said I would buy it, I didn't mean at that size. That's not even a starfighter. My legs go numb just thinking about flying that thing across the galaxy.

Darth Metalmute
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Funny thing, it looks better in that size.

It looks like the quality and un-scaled proportions of the Galactic Heroes line. I'm sure we could gut the cockpit and use it as such.

Tycho
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
This was not what I had in mind. :mad: