PDA

View Full Version : Jango - Purple or Blue?

Background Character
10-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I recently picked up the Target Geonosis 2-pack with Coleman Trebor and the purple Jango. I know alot of people are annoyed that he is purple when he should be blue and his helmet is correctly blue. It got me thinking.

My kids wanted to watch AOTC this weekend so while viewing I had this Jango color issue in the back of my head. It is pretty apparent that he should be blue. It makes sense as far as matching his helmet, the color schemes on Kamino, matching his version of the Slave I. He looks blue on Kamino.

However, when he is fighting in the arena on Geonosis, he looks purple! Don't know if it's the lighting or effects of the CG or what. I also happened to look at his photo on the 30th anniversary collector coin diorama and he is purple! The artwork on the package of the 2-pack shows him as purple! I looked in the visual dictionary and again, shots on Kamino=blue, shots on Geonosis=purple.

I know people will be yelling "No debate! He's blue". I realize this. Just wanted to point out how this whole purple thing could have happened very easily, especially depending on what reference they were using when they decided on the color for the figure. Considering the 2-pack version is supposed to be from the Geonosis scene, it actually looks more accurate to me compared to the movie than a blue version would.

Reminds me of the old Han Solo Hoth Brown coat/ Blue coat debate.

What are your thoughts on this?

Devo
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Well if this is the case I suppose I'd be hypocritical to say ''No, he's blue and thats it'' since apparently the TIE fighters were blue or white depending on the film but to me they should always be plain ol' grey because thats how they appeared to me. So I might accept purple for geonosis Jango. However it'd be no excuse for them to release a Kamino Jango in purple.

Furthermore thats not even the worst problem about the figure. For me its threefold: hes too tall, his helmet is undersized and the wrong shape and his holsters stick out from his waist in a really stupid looking way. Other guys have other problems with that figure but those are my main beefs.

El Chuxter
10-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Aww, dude, don't do this. People have been arguing over what color Han's parka is for almost thirty years; adding another dispute over costume color could make some heads explode! :)

vger
10-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd just like Jango to be released with his Kamino jetpack occasionally. I don't mind if his suit is purple or blue. Hasbro could release Jango both ways, like they did with VTSC Han Hoth (brown hood up, brown hood down, blue hood up, blue hood down) to satisfy everyone.

TeeEye7
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Aww, dude, don't do this. People have been arguing over what color Han's parka is for almost thirty years; adding another dispute over costume color could make some heads explode! :)

This is easy: blue is his home team color, and purple his traveling color.

pbarnard
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
It's really green. Everyone who's answered so far has been blue-green color blind.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Here (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/07/Jango-CHRON.jpg) is a picture of him under normal studio lighting, from the Chronicles book, where his suit looks blue-gray. Here (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/e1/Jango_OS_TPB.jpg) is another publicity shot, where it looks more purple. With Boba (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/ea/BobaJango_CVD.jpg), it looks blue again. Here (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/bd/Jangofullarmor.jpg) is another purple one. What does it mean? I have no idea. :p

I think that, much like the Hoth Han thing, since Hasbro had been doing it one way for years and suddenly switched over to a different color, it came off as jarring and wrong initially. I certainly think the Evolutions Jango is too purple (and I think the Geonosis Showdown one is close to the same color-wise), but I think they wouldn't be totally wrong to put a little purple in if they keep it predominantly blue.

TheDarthVader
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Who cares? He isn't a popular character or anything.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Who cares? He isn't a popular character or anything.
The fact that they successfully release him every year leads me to believe otherwise . . . It's an interesting question to ask since there are undoubtedly going to be further releases of the character.

DarkJedi5
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
My theory is that the costume is in reality purple-ish but it was done in the knowledge that under studio lights it would appear bluish. Again, knowing that the helmet paint would come through truer than the fabric which is why the paint looks so blue. Stuff based off the stuff done under studio lights looks blue, the Geonosis scenes, well perhaps they just used bluer lights on Kamino then?

DarkArtist
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM
i say regardless of color it's still a cool figure to have and if it's not the Jango you want...either custom paint him to match the ideal Jango you are seeking or use the purple version for a background Mandolorian Warrior.

mtriv73
10-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Now that we have 2 purple versions of the evolutions Jango figure (Evolutions: Purple and Target set: Purpler) now they can just do yet another repaint (this time in blue) and make everyone happy.

El Chuxter
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
He wore blue. Thing is, Geonosis is a really cold planet, so he had to wear red longjohns underneath. Since his jumpsuit is thin, the red showed through.

morpheus282
10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
His costume got some of Zam Wessel's blood on it, now it can't decide what color it should be.

bigbarada
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM
The orangish lighting on Geonosis probably made his blue outfit look purple.

TheDarthVader
10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
The fact that they successfully release him every year leads me to believe otherwise . . . It's an interesting question to ask since there are undoubtedly going to be further releases of the character.

LOL! I was being facetious. :D

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:46 AM
In Batman movies, they often paint the Batmobile dark purple so it'll show up in-camera black, because actual black doesn't show up in-camera correctly. Does that mean Batmobile toys should be slavish to the purple? Mattel originally thought so with Batman Begins, and it took a few months to correct this.

Jango should be blue, that's how the undersuit looks projected on the screen and throughout most of the DVD as well. Maybe a tinge of purple, but not this loud lavender they're doing now. It's like tan vest Luke, just because the actual fabric looked brown on set doesn't mean that's how it was in the movie. Should Yoda have a puppeteer's arm? Should most of the vehicles have no windows simply because the studio models didn't? No, it's the illusion we're buying into, not the reality.

PS - the Han Hoth coat thing was quantified years ago, it was brown, Lucasfilm brought it out of retirement and showed a bunch of evidence to back it up. Sometimes folks just cling to being wrong.

DarkArtist
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
have to say picked up the Target pack with Jango as well as a repack of the Jango from the ROTJ wave and after viewing both of them side by side the Jango from the Target set is actually more of a Mauve color instead of purple, while the single carded version is purple. might have to dig out my evolutions Fett and compare all three together.