PDA

View Full Version : Cantina aliens vs. Jabba's thugs

IG 8D8
10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok, talking street fight here. All the Cantina guys vs. Jabba's guys. Equal number on each side, who wins?

DarkJedi5
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Well since Hasbro says everyone in the Cantina is a bounty hunter and Jabba's palace seems to have some real sissies (I mean Luke swings a lightsaber in their direction and they dive head-first for the sarlacc? Pansies!) I give it to the Cantina.

IG 8D8
10-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm going with Jabba's gang. They are mostly warriors while the Cantina was full of guys off the street basically. Even though there's some tough baddies in the cantina I think they're giving up a lot in size and strength - ave. size of Jabba's men looks to be over 300 pounds. Look at Ephant Mon, Hermi Odle, Amanaman, Yak Face, Malikili, pig guards, Ree Yees, etc.

DarkJedi5
10-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, but all Cantina aliens come with guns, most Jabba's guys only come with knives or staffs. Guns always win.

El Chuxter
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
The Cantina has a few former-Jedi-turned-bounty-hunters working for the Empire, a gardener, some pencil pushers, a vampire, and a band. Jabba has a less talented band, the same vampire, former-Jedi-turned-bounty-hunters working for the Rebellion, cannibals, accountants, and a bunch of pigs with knives. On the surface, it appears that Jabba's gang would win. But we left out Bea Arthur, who can kick everyone's butt.

IG 8D8
10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
if I saw some of Jabba's guys in a dark alley I'd likely crap my pants. Cantina dudes on the other hand I'd walk by and say "have another drink fellas"...

bigbarada
10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, but all Cantina aliens come with guns, most Jabba's guys only come with knives or staffs. Guns always win.

Actually, going by what is seen onscreen, here is the breakdown for which aliens were shown brandishing weapons:

Jabba's thugs:
Melee weapons:
1. Gamorrean Guards
2. Weequay
3. Kithaba
4. Sgt. Doallyn
5. Red Nikto Skiff Guard on the second skiff
6. Barada
7. Yotts Oren
8. Unnamed human Sail Barge Guard

Blasters:
1. Vizam
2. Wooof
3. Nysad
4. Velken Tezeri
5. Vedain
6. Green Nikto Skiff Guard on the second skiff
7. Gailid
8. Human Mercenary Pilot on the second skiff
9. Shirtless human guard on the second skiff
10. Nizuc Bec
11. Taym Dren-garen
12. Weequay Sail Barge guard
13. Human Sail Barge Gunner
14. Boba Fett

Cantina Aliens:
Blasters:
1. Ponda Baba
2. Greedo

So, I think the Cantina aliens are a bit outgunned. :p

JediTricks
10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Cantina guys are all out for themselves, they'd never hold up in a fight against a group with a common leader and interest. But in terms of a bar brawl, I think the Cantina weirdos are tougher than the Jabba's gang because the Palace denizens do seem a tad weak against a blind guy, a robot, even a nearly-naked 5' 1" woman.

Snowtrooper
10-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Jabba's thugs would win cause the cantina guys are all drunk.

bigbarada
10-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Cantina guys are all out for themselves, they'd never hold up in a fight against a group with a common leader and interest. But in terms of a bar brawl, I think the Cantina weirdos are tougher than the Jabba's gang because the Palace denizens do seem a tad weak against a blind guy, a robot, even a nearly-naked 5' 1" woman.

Well, don't forget they were up against a Jedi as well.

JediTricks
10-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, don't forget they were up against a Jedi as well.
A half-trained Jedi who had no real life experience as a warrior monk aside from a single duel that he botched, sure. The kid couldn't even tell he was standing on a trap door, and couldn't shoot a 6-foot-wide immobile slug from 10 feet away with a surprise gun.

IG 8D8
10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
he couldn't shoot jabba because of falling into the rancor pit, and later on he was able to defeat Vader.

Old Fossil
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
he couldn't shoot jabba because of falling into the rancor pit, and later on he was able to defeat Vader.

Yeah, Luke was always falling into holes.

Don't forget, Vader was a 50-something half-cyborg. Not exactly a Sith Lord in his prime, I imagine.

JediTricks
10-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Luke had the gun and fired it before he fell into the pit.

He didn't defeat Vader with cunning or guile, only love. Jabba ain't falling for that crap.

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
No prequel film will ever convince me Vader was a whiny weiner in some wicked armor. He was evil down to whatever bones he had left.

TheDarthVader
11-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I would have to go with jabba's thugs. For the love of God, Boba Fett was in there!! He could take down soooo many cantina dudes soooo easily.

Droid
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
What happened to the gun Luke pulled on Jabba? Does the film show him drop it up in the throne room? Because he sure doesn't seem to have it in the Rancor pit.

Droid
11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
What happened to the blaster Luke pulled on Jabba? Does the film show him drop it up in the throne room? Because he sure doesn't seem to have it in the Rancor pit.

Qui-Long Gone
11-05-2009, 09:39 PM
For the love of God, Boba Fett was in there!! He could take down soooo many cantina dudes soooo easily.

Providing Fett isn't fighting a blind pirate with a staff while standing over a sand pit with a CGI vagina ..... then yes, Fett helps the thugs....

My vote is for the Cantina because Jabba's thugs were boobs (one had six!) and there is something to say about blind drunken rage...

*Don't forget, Greedo would be considered a Jabba thug before being a Cantina alien!

El Chuxter
11-05-2009, 11:36 PM
*Don't forget, Greedo would be considered a Jabba thug before being a Cantina alien!

If you're going to use that logic, half the Cantina was really Jabba's thugs.

Rocketboy
11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
The Cantina also had Chewbacca and IG-88.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 03:30 AM
The mighty sideburns of BoShek could take down any Palace fool in 3 seconds flat.

IG 8D8
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, just too many dangerous foes in Jabba's group: Dengar, Bossk, Fett, Hermi Odle, Yak Face, Barada, Weequays, Jquille, not to mention the horrors of the dungeon. What's Dr. Evazan, Bo Shek, or Muftak gonna do to them? Jabba would sit on and crush the Modal Nodes by himself and little Kabe would get stepped on by Ephant Mon.

Old Fossil
11-07-2009, 09:14 AM
The dreaded Leer of Dr. Evazan would lay low a number of Jabba's thugs in a Mos Eisley minute.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Hello? Wuher? Dude made Greedo INTO A DRINK! And people literally bought it.

I believe I've made my point.

Darth Jax
11-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Can't believe this argument is still going on. Chux told you all the results in post 5.

On the surface, it appears that Jabba's gang would win. But we left out Bea Arthur, who can kick everyone's butt.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
First, let's get 1 thing straight: the Fett-man ain't nobody's thug. He's out for himself, he's just there to get P to the A to the I to the mother****in' D.

Now, let's look at Dengar. A fat guy in bandages and some rusty snowtrooper armor. Yeah, he sounds like a real badass. And we've totally seen him back that up too, what with his "standing there for a moment" and "back turned to the camera" action sequences.

Bossk is a bit of a badass, that I can give you.

Hermi Odle is a ridiculous-looking, lumbering, hunch-backed, drooling sack of meat. He is a threat to hygiene, nothing else.

How did Saelt-Marae even get on that list? He's done roughly nothing but drink and die.

Barada had a weapon drawn on our heroes at point blank range and still got baseball-batted into the Sarlacc. As did his Weequay friends, and all the other skiff guards.

J'quille appeared to be a Bigfoot high on pot. Conceptually hilarious? Perhaps. Dangerous? Unlikely.

"The horrors of the dungeon", like the barnacle with the long tongue? Or the guy trapped in a prison cell grabbing at anyone in range? Or the half-dead robots everywhere? All of which were bested by the mighty C-3PO, I might add.

Don't forget the giant leaf man with amazing "standing still" powers, or the OTHER giant drooling sack of meat that didn't do anything, or the fat guy who cried over the Rancor he took care of, or Tessek the Squidhead the 4th most powerful CPA in the galaxy, or Greedo's even less talented cousin, or Yoxgit the emaciated Ugnaught, or the religious brains living in spider robots.

Therein lies the problem, these guys are such a construct of "well, if you put them all together maybe they'll look more intimidating than by themselves, and then you've got the makings of a cantina ripoff". They are all so artificial and ineffective and even less intimidating than if they were REAL muppets. And the attempt by the EU to make them badass only serves to embarrass the EU as a whole, with a million and one bounty hunters out for themselves or interconnected or trying to secretly kill Jabba.

Nosir, they'd get their stuff handed to them by the Cantina denizens, who would then go back to their drinks and superior music.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do THAT on the internet!

IG 8D8
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Who does the cantina have besides a bunch of drunken idiots? Talk about backs turned to the camera and sitting around doing nothing! 3/4 of all cantina dudes could have been cardboard cutouts and it would have made no difference. Boba Fett could fry half the room in two seconds with a flamethrower before anyone knew what happened.

An old man was able to throw down two of your top dogs. Delusional Dr. Evazan had to threaten young kids at the bar to make himself feel tough!
Let's see who else you got: a furry spider, a guy dressed like a vampire,
a guy with a rat's head, a miniature bat boy, a wannabe wolfman, a bar tender who looks like he doesn't have the lung capacity to throw a punch, and a bunch of people with rubber masks on. Sounds like a halloween party!!!!

And no the cantina does not get Chewbacca or Han... if that's the case then Jabba gets Luke. My final point: The good guys ended up as slave servants, imprisoned and sentenced to death in Jabba's palace while in the cantina they cleaned house!

Old Fossil
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
And no the cantina does not get Chewbacca or Han...

Then Jabba does not get Boba Fett.:ninja:

And Ellors Madak would turn anyone's blood to ice by his utter coolness.

Qui-Long Gone
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
My final point: The good guys ended up as slave servants, imprisoned and sentenced to death in Jabba's palace while in the cantina they cleaned house!

Are you talking about the scene before an ape s**t crazy Luke single-handedly sabered those chumps on the skiff and barge while a blind Solo whacked Boba "Overrated" Fett into a sand vagina and a 90lb sex-slave Leia choked a two ton slug? Wow, I guess you're right, Jabba's thugs are awesome..............cannon fodder...... :D

IG 8D8
11-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Of course the good guys escape in the end, did you think the movie would end with the heroes getting thrown in the sarlacc? the fact is, Luke and his friends had their plans foiled, they ended up either as servants to Jabba (Leia, droids) or thrown in a jail cell (Han/Chewy). They had captured Luke too after the rancor pit escape. I don't think Lando was feeling too good at that point, imagine him going toe to toe with Jabba's men! They could have locked them all up and thrown away the key.

The defeat of Jabba's men at the sarlacc was due to them being split up and spread out, over confident, and unsuspecting R2 would help out Luke. Seriously, all they had to do was shoot down the skiff with the sail barge cannon once Luke fought back. It's over right then. Fett's death was bogus, he was not overrated, please.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Again: Bea Arthur works in the cantina.

'Nuff said.

mabudonicus
11-12-2009, 12:00 AM
JT- that post somehow eluded me til now, I got a solid laugh out of it (tho the FU Dengar is pretty tough)

I have to agree tho, the cantina crew takes it- I mean, one word- no maybe two ro three- K'TIK K'TEED KAK!! That giant mantis-thing would be a freakin DEADLY force on any battlefield. Add in Bo'Shek, Nabrun Leeds and Lak Sivrak and you've already got a huge advantage, toss the rest of the cantina into the mix and yer done.

Also, the Cantina was theur home turf, whereas Jabbas place was more like a crash pad- everyone there knew that Jabba probably had some SERIOUS folks gunning for him. In the event stuff really started to look bad, most of the casual hangers-around would flee for their lives. The cantina crew would be in til the end.

And now I realize the battlefield was not decided, so my point may be moot. Boba Fett still was overrated either way

:beard Iso&Baws&Topes
Oyes Cantina (original OR SE) all the way

Qui-Long Gone
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
The defeat of Jabba's men at the sarlacc was due to them being split up and spread out, over confident, and unsuspecting R2 would help out Luke. Seriously, all they had to do was shoot down the skiff with the sail barge cannon once Luke fought back. It's over right then. Fett's death was bogus, he was not overrated, please.

The defeat of Jabba's men came at the hands of a rookie Jedi...although Obi Wan was older by the time he threw down in the Cantina, remember this was the same Jedi who wacked Maul, Grevious, and Vader (pre suit)...so I'm still going for Cantina drunks to whip Jabba's thugs...

IG 8D8
11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Jabba's men weren't used to fighting jedi at the time, since this was many years after the purge. Also, Luke wasn't an ordinary jedi, and he was trained by two of the best masters in recent times.

Obi Wan had the experience but was well past his prime when in the cantina.

Qui-Long Gone
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Jabba's men weren't used to fighting jedi at the time

They also weren't used to fighting blind pirates and half-naked princesses...but I bet Cantina drunks were...

The Cantina drunks were cool as ice...you could shoot someone and no one in the bar budged...you could chop of someone's arm and no one thought twice about it...

Jabba's thugs were tough only because Jabba was such a bad@ss .... if he said jump into my rancor pit with the Jedi you jumped....I doubt the Cantina drunks could be bossed around like that....

Ando
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Okay, I am going to jump into the fray here.

Cantina folk FTW and here's why:

The Tonnika Sisters. NOBODY can touch 'em.

IG 8D8
11-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Jabba would have the Milli Vanilli Sisters in chains and previously used metal bikinis. Kitik Keed Kak would make a nice dipping sauce for Jabba's guests - his limbs cut off then ground to a smooth paste. Good eats there!

oh, and I think the cantina was more like a galactic truck stop, people stopping for a drink, or to talk business then off to their ship or wherever. jabba's guys were loyal.

sith_killer_99
11-13-2009, 08:02 AM
No prequel film will ever convince me Vader was a whiny weiner in some wicked armor. He was evil down to whatever bones he had left.

Who needs the PT to figure out Vader was a whiny weiner as a kid/young man, he was Luke's father! Like father like son.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Who does the cantina have besides a bunch of drunken idiots? Talk about backs turned to the camera and sitting around doing nothing! 3/4 of all cantina dudes could have been cardboard cutouts and it would have made no difference. Boba Fett could fry half the room in two seconds with a flamethrower before anyone knew what happened. A bunch of drunken idiots who are so badass they barely turn around when someone is gunned down in the corner booth or have their arms cut off right in the center of the room.

And Boba Fett is so much about his little toys that he wouldn't even get past the droid detector.

An old man was able to throw down two of your top dogs. Delusional Dr. Evazan had to threaten young kids at the bar to make himself feel tough!
Let's see who else you got: a furry spider, a guy dressed like a vampire,
a guy with a rat's head, a miniature bat boy, a wannabe wolfman, a bar tender who looks like he doesn't have the lung capacity to throw a punch, and a bunch of people with rubber masks on. Sounds like a halloween party!!!!And yet still it sounds 5 times tougher than Jabba's Palace.

And no the cantina does not get Chewbacca or Han... if that's the case then Jabba gets Luke. My final point: The good guys ended up as slave servants, imprisoned and sentenced to death in Jabba's palace while in the cantina they cleaned house!Not that I was arguing for Chewie or Han, but your Luke argument makes ZERO sense. Luke is there to stop Jabba, he opposes everyone there. Chewie and Han are part of the Cantina, they are a fairly familiar part of the scenery, hence BoShek's ability to suggest Chewie & Han, and nobody giving a crap that Jabba's errand boy got mowed down. Han and Chewie are like almost everybody else there, to relax and find jobs. So thanks for the suggestion, now the Cantina that was already tops has 2 of the OT heroes in its corner. Heck, I'll throw in Boba Fett to Jabba's, and we all know who wins between Han and the Fett man.

Are you talking about the scene before an ape s**t crazy Luke single-handedly sabered those chumps on the skiff and barge while a blind Solo whacked Boba "Overrated" Fett into a sand vagina and a 90lb sex-slave Leia choked a two ton slug? Wow, I guess you're right, Jabba's thugs are awesome..............cannon fodder...... :D10 points to the QLG!

Of course the good guys escape in the end, did you think the movie would end with the heroes getting thrown in the sarlacc? the fact is, Luke and his friends had their plans foiled, they ended up either as servants to Jabba (Leia, droids) or thrown in a jail cell (Han/Chewy). They had captured Luke too after the rancor pit escape. I don't think Lando was feeling too good at that point, imagine him going toe to toe with Jabba's men! They could have locked them all up and thrown away the key.

The defeat of Jabba's men at the sarlacc was due to them being split up and spread out, over confident, and unsuspecting R2 would help out Luke. Seriously, all they had to do was shoot down the skiff with the sail barge cannon once Luke fought back. It's over right then. Fett's death was bogus, he was not overrated, please.Dude, even a little astromech droid outwits everybody there except for Boba Fett. The rest of our heroes' temporary fates were according to Luke's plan. And Lando had infiltrated their hardest guys, he could have sabotaged their weapons.

BTW, you're not exactly helping your case pointing out how Jabba's goons were so slothful and sloppy that they let a handful of guys on a DAMAGED skiff divide and blow them to hell. That's right, the skiff is all jacked up, unmovable for the time being, can't even stay upright, yet the Goon squad can't finish the job on it. For god's sake, they couldn't even stop C-3PO from evading their clutches!

JT- that post somehow eluded me til now, I got a solid laugh out of it (tho the FU Dengar is pretty tough)Right on! Sorry your homie Dengar had to take it on the chin though, but he wasn't representin' at the time. I suppose I could have pointed out his awesome wedding bowtie, but then I have to bring out the heavy artillery with IG-88's head appearing in the Cantina, and next thing you know, escalation has led to nuclear destruction... as usual.

I have to agree tho, the cantina crew takes it- I mean, one word- no maybe two ro three- K'TIK K'TEED KAK!! That giant mantis-thing would be a freakin DEADLY force on any battlefield. Add in Bo'Shek, Nabrun Leeds and Lak Sivrak and you've already got a huge advantage, toss the rest of the cantina into the mix and yer done.Wolfman chowing down on the bones of a Gamorrean Guard (the galaxy's least effective but most delicious guards) while the giant praying mantis eats Hermi Odle would make a fantastic diorama, I need to set that up.

Also, the Cantina was theur home turf, whereas Jabbas place was more like a crash pad- everyone there knew that Jabba probably had some SERIOUS folks gunning for him. In the event stuff really started to look bad, most of the casual hangers-around would flee for their lives. The cantina crew would be in til the end.Interesting point. During a melee, half the guys at Jabba's place would be trying to kill Jabba or each other during the ruckus hoping nobody notices.

Oyes Cantina (original OR SE) all the way Another Cantina advantage, less SE ruination than the Palace and its off-broadway routine.

Jabba's men weren't used to fighting jedi at the time, since this was many years after the purge. Also, Luke wasn't an ordinary jedi, and he was trained by two of the best masters in recent times.You mean like all the bounty hunters whose jobs had been to hunt down rogue Jedi? Or just the ones who took down myriad of giant angry Wookiees?

Okay, I am going to jump into the fray here.

Cantina folk FTW and here's why:

The Tonnika Sisters. NOBODY can touch 'em.Lucasfilm says so! :D

Jabba would have the Milli Vanilli Sisters in chains and previously used metal bikinis. Kitik Keed Kak would make a nice dipping sauce for Jabba's guests - his limbs cut off then ground to a smooth paste. Good eats there!Jabba ain't crap without his goons around, he let a lowly smuggler poke him in the face, step on his tail, and call him a HUMAN! Geez, Jabba would have had his brains eaten by Dannik Jerriko who would then go back to smoking his bowl after the Tonnikas rolled Jabba and stole the fat slug's wallet.

oh, and I think the cantina was more like a galactic truck stop, people stopping for a drink, or to talk business then off to their ship or wherever. jabba's guys were loyal.Yeah, right, 'cause if there's one thing Jabba's Opium Den is known for, it's LOYALTY. :rolleyes: :p

Ephant Mon - Jabba's best and only friend, so loyal that he didn't tell Jabba he knew he was going to die over the dune sea.
Malakili - planned to betray Jabba to a fat whippid.
Fozec - undercover Imperial cop who grew to loathe Jabba so much he betrayed his duty with plans to kill Jabba.
Klaatu - another goon who secretly planned to kill Jabba.
Yarna - detested Jabba for killing her husband.
Tessek - the accountant who tried to bomb Jabba's sail barge.
Ree-Yees - servant who helped Tessek plant that bomb.
Loje Nella - Moesep's assistant who tried to get Jabba into trouble by cooking the books out of his favor.
Shasa Tiel - Ishi Tib denizen, merely despised Jabba.
Oola - loathed Jabba so much she risked death.
Kithaba - lowly skiff guard who had plans to kill Jabba.
Bane Malar - bounty hunter hired to kill Jabba.
Velken Tezeri - another skiff guard with even more detailed plans to kill Jabba as soon as he returned from Carkoon.
Gauron Nas Tal - a Saurin employee with plans to kill Jabba.
J'Quille - a spy against Jabba who tried to kill him, only to have the device stolen by Bib Fortuna who himself wanted to use it to kill Jabba.
Bib Fortuna - Jabba's most loyal majordomo is the guy tried to have Jabba killed dozens of times.

Yes, feel the loyalty! (And thank you to Tales from Jabba's Palace and the Decipher CCG, I never thought I'd be happy to source that EU mess :p)

IG 8D8
11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
yes, all of Jabba's goons had secret plans to kill him, yet NONE of them got the job done. Wonder why that is. Hmmm. There were plenty of times when Jabba was dozing off, or distracted. It's not like he had a shield around him, he's just a big blob on a stone base right?. Would have been easy but nothing. You cross Jabba, it doesn't end well. That rancor looks well fed!

Fact is you can write all the stories you want of planned betrayal. Yet look at all those dudes who stood around the top of the rancor pit cheering when Luke fell in. Or when Leia tried to rescue Han, they were all siding with Jabba. Not only that but they were mocking those attempts to outsmart him, as well they should. Try again.

"And Boba Fett is so much about his little toys that he wouldn't even get past the droid detector."

ok that one made me laugh, thanks. And how is Boba Fett not part of the scenery in the palace? I am now making the claim that the entire cantina couldn't defeat Jabba's pets. Seriously, all his goons could kick back on this one.

Darth Jax
11-15-2009, 10:33 AM
all leia had to do was turn off the lights and then none of them lifted a hand to stop her from choking the big slug.

JediTricks
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Jabba used unwarranted fear, intimidation, blackmail, and division to keep himself from being offed. He had just enough friends to keep his enemies wondering who might move against them. When the chips were down, like Jax said, nobody came to Jabba's defense, not even Salacious Crumb (who was the only one to step against 3PO, I might add). In fact, the shutters close and the group inside the barge starts freaking out like 2 year olds afraid of the dark. So let's see, Jabba is killed by a defenseless, scrawny enslaved girl and nobody lifts a finger to save him because they're all busy freaking out, while the Cantina denizens watch 2 guys get mangled in their midst in the course of 5 minutes and are cool and calm enough not to make the wrong move out of it.

Just because Jabba's Goons wanted to watch a Rancor eat a Jedi trainee doesn't mean they're in any way useful in a fight, much less loyal.

Ando
11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
So has this fight been called yet?

TeeEye7
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, let 'em go ahead and fight! Then we'd go in and arrest who was left! ;)

IG 8D8
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
all leia had to do was turn off the lights and then none of them lifted a hand to stop her from choking the big slug.

there were none of his guys around because they were defending the sail barge. Plus they had to have some way for Jabba to die, and Leia escape.
Just being on the barge when it blew wouldn't add any excitement.

One other thing, there are more figures and better quality figures made on Jabba's side. Since this is a collecting site, thought I'd bring that up. It shows people think more highly of the Jabba scenes and there is more demand for that.

pbarnard
11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Cantina. Kabe is one bad ***** ***** who you don't mess with at any time. She will kill you for another hit of Juri juice and be upset because after killing you she didn't get more Juri juice.

pbarnard
11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
One other thing, there are more figures and better quality figures made on Jabba's side. Since this is a collecting site, thought I'd bring that up. It shows people think more highly of the Jabba scenes and there is more demand for that.

So why was there 2 waves for Cantina or at least half cantina figures 2 times while only 1 half wave (which is still just a quarter since the other quarter were technically skiff figures and remember, Legacy Wave 1 was 2008 not 09) for Jabba's Palace if it is more popular? Why is there consistently a partial if not full cantina wave every year and Jabba's palace (and skiff related things even less) is a bit more random?

Course, the only collecting thing that would beat both version of Kabe is a super articulated Salacious Crumb.

IG 8D8
11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not talking Legacy, just overall there have been more figs from jabba's palace. Jabba alone has been made several times, I don't know how many Palace inhabitants have been made into figures, I've lost count. Ephant Mon is regarded as the best figure ever by many collectors. They've made cool vehicles and accessories for the Palace too. Skiff, Rancor (how many variations?), mini rig skiffs, sarlacc monster, etc. And another thing, Jabba's palace has been featured in the Clone Wars series. In fact the Clone Wars movie had a plot revolving entirely around Jabba, it says a lot. When will they bring back the cantina or feature it that heavily?

Ando
11-20-2009, 11:19 AM
When will they bring back the cantina or feature it that heavily?

They don't need to... It was bada$$ the first time around.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Really? So once again, spouting off without doing all the work works so well. Using the following conditions (so you can try and duplicate results): Excludes Luke, Han Solo, Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C-3P0 the characters to appear in all three locals, divided amongst the following: Created/appearing in both Jabba's Palace and/or Sail Barge/Skiff (aka Jabba Palace), only the Skiff/Sailbarge (Skiff) and finally the Cantina. Counting all versions of the characters released to date be it on singles, multipacks, deluxe etc. I'm unsure if how you want to handle B. Fett, Dengar and Bossk since Dengar and Bossk were created pretty much for ESB but are in the Jabba's scene (technically the PotF2 Dengar is the RotJ version), so I don't have good numbers on them. And B.Fett does have specific film versions, but most were created to be "Skiff" only figures.

There are more releases only if you combine Jabba's Palace, Skiff and ESB bounty hunters who appear in Jabba's Palace. Excluding the Bounty Hunters's and the Skiff Figures, the numbers are exactly the same by my best efforts. I admit, I could have missed a version, so this could tip one way or the other. Also, if you were to add the Lukes/Hans/Chewies back in, there are so many Tattooine Lukes relative to RotJ Lukes w/vests out there any gain made by Jabba's Palace would be offset. But even if you account for these differences it's not that big of an advantage.

Also, what was the topic of a popular Q&A question for months after the K-Mart/Walmart OTC exclusive bar pieces? When to get the curved/final bar pieces until Elsris Hood was released.

Jabba Palace
Ak-Rev
Yarna
Bane Malar
Giran
Malakili (x2)
Umpass Tay
Hermi Odle
Leia as Boushh (x2)
Leia as Prison (x3)
Bib Fortuna (x3)
Salacious Crumb (x3?)
Jabba the Hutt
Ephant Mon
Rappertunie
J'Quille
Tanus Spijek
Tessek
Barquin D'an (x2)
Droopy McCool (x2)
Joh Yowza (x2)
Sy Snootles (x2)
Max Rebo (x2)
Dod Bodawieedo (x2)
Lyn Me
Rystall
Greeta
B'omar Monk (x2)
Ola
EV-9D9
Gamorrean Guard (x2)
Saelt-Marae
Bubo
Wol Cabas****e
Rancor (x2)
Zutton (red)
Technically there, but not made exclusively for Dengar, Bossk and Boba Fett*
49 (52)

Skiff
Mikto Gunner (Nysad)
Weequay (x2)
Barada (x2)
Klatuu
Nikito
Sarlac
*Most versions of Fett would be counted here

Cantina
Wuher (x2)
Zutton (blue)
Ponda Baba (x3)
Dr Evazan (x2)
Lak Sivrak
Obi-Wan Kenobi (x3)
Pons Limbic
Wiolsea
Takeel
Trinto Duaba
Dice Ibegon
Hrchek Kal Fas
Lessub Sirln
M'iiyoom Onith
Elis Helrot
Momaw Nadon (x2)
Hem Dazon
Kitik Keed'kak (X2)
Bo'Shek
Ellors Madak
Ketwol
Labria (Kardue'sai'Malloc) (x2)
Kabe (x2)
Muftak
Nabrun Leids (x2)
Djas Puhr
Figrin D'an (x2)
Doik Na'ts (x2)
Ickabel Go'nt (x2)
Tedn Dahai (x2)
Tech Mo'r (x2)
Nalan Cheel (x2)

AS to the Clone wArs, the answer is simple. The writers are lazy. They could've gone with Black Sun or the pirates, who were independent of the Hutts (yes Weequays, definitely isnpired by RotJ, but not). After all, the Hutts and Jabba in particular were fearful and bowed to the wishes of the Black Sun. And yet there was a bar scene in AotC, sort of playing homage to the Cantina scene. Don't seem to recall a recreation of Jabba's palace in the prequals (you could say Arena, in which case it may allude to RotJ which is really an enhanced version of what they wanted to do with the Wampas or Dianoga in early films).

As Ando says, they don't need to because they have always had it there. Outside of movie years there have been Cantina figures released like clockwork despite spotty distribution. Jabba's palace waves seem to be popular because of there irregularity/high demand.

IG 8D8
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Jabba appeared in Ep. 1, and then in the Clone Wars, making it 4 Star Wars movies he's been in.

Jabba: 4 movies, Cantina: 1

Who's spouting off without the facts? That would be you.
I'll get back to you on the figure debate - there are clearly some errors.

El Chuxter
11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Name any of Jabba's entourage from the two non-ROTJ, definitively SW canon movies he's been in. Bib Fortuna and Boba Fett don't count.

pbarnard
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Jabba appeared in Ep. 1, and then in the Clone Wars, making it 4 Star Wars movies he's been in.

Jabba: 4 movies, Cantina: 1

Who's spouting off without the facts? That would be you.
I'll get back to you on the figure debate - there are clearly some errors.

... so I don't have good numbers on them. ... I admit, I could have missed a version, so this could tip one way or the other. Also, if you were to add the Lukes/Hans/Chewies back in, there are so many Tattooine Lukes relative to RotJ Lukes w/vests out there any gain made by Jabba's Palace would be offset. But even if you account for these differences it's not that big of an advantage.

Never said there weren't errors, and would gladly accept the help in pointing them out. But an attempt was made to post some factual information before just throwing out an unfounded assumption. I did a little research and thinking before writing the first though that came to my mind. It may be missing some data but you can extrapolate a trend which is there really isn't that much of a difference, so both our null hypothesis were invalid.

Technically you have 2 Cantina/Bar scenes. Since Jabba is a varriant in 4 movies; the Cantina/Bar/Night Club motiff gets to have it's own varriant as well by my counting. Also, in terms of figure releases, The 2 Episode I Jabba's and the ANH Beast Jabba don't count as "Jabba Palace" figures because those versions don't appear in the location but at the Pod Race, Docking Bay 94 etc. You could add the Clone Wars version in, but that skews things by adding in animated figures in the realistic figure line.

And I left out the Han/Luke/Chewies since once you start adding up all the versions of the ANH Han Solo and Luke Skywalkers they really out pace other figures in terms of re-releases in the CommTech to RotS era. I tried counting them for my list above but got lost at about the 5th released version based on the CommTech Han Solo figure so gave up, and just let the totals be what I could find.

Oh, and if we follow your little fallacy that since Jabba the Hutt is in 4 films, than he is an equally important character as say Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, and Leia who each appear in 4 films. That means, like I've said all along, that R2-D2 and C-3PO are the most important characters of all being the only ones who appeared in all six films. (Anakin Skywalker in 4, Darth Vader in 4, Palpatine in 6, etc). The example reason you made is arbitrary and silly and dillutes actual central characters to the point of irrelevance.

pbarnard
11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
And like I said, Not perfect. Found 3 Cantina Figures I left out...

Dannik Jericho
Myo
Feltipern Trevagg

That would bring the Cantina total to 52.

IG 8D8
11-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, the cantina was definitely limited to one movie, you can't count other night club scenes. That's out of the question and ridiculous. Jabba on the other hand had many appearances, making him a star wars celeb (Yet I never said he was as important as Luke or Leia/Han). The cantina was merely a rest stop, in contrast Jabba's palace was an event. Heck they were building up to it for the prior 2 movies!!! All the main characters had roles specific to freeing Han and defeating Jabba, they weren't just passing through like the cantina.

-Leia: as boush failed to free Han, then bikini clad slave
-Luke: had to put together an elaborate plan to beat Jabba
-Han: trapped in carbonite and used as a wall decoration (how cool is that)
-Lando: disguised as a guard, waiting to make his move
-Chewy: posing as a prisoner, he was jailed along with Han
-R2/C3PO: sent as a present for Jabba, and part of Luke's plan. Used as servants

I'm not touching on running time either, you know who wins that. All this proves the Jabba scene was way more important to the saga, and is still recognized today as an integral and inventive part of Star Wars. How many SW posters is Jabba on anyways? The palace has the scariest and most iconic monsters/inhuman villains of the entire story too, sorry cantina fans.

And of course you don't see Jabba with the same characters in each movie. For instance tpm is many years before rotj so most of those guys aren't around yet. pbarnard how convenient of you to keep searching for more cantina figures when there are glaring omissions in your list for Jabba's side (Amanaman, Pote Snitkin, 8D8 to name a few). And yes I'm counting other Jabbas, plus bounty hunters and main characters- if they are specific to a scene. Such as: Han in carbonite, Lando in skiff guard disguise, slave Leia w/sail barge cannon, Luke w/bone, etc. It's a landslide victory.

Qui-Long Gone
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
^I agree that Jabba's palace is way more important to the
SW story than Cantina...but this thread is Cantina aliens vs. Jabba's thugs and once again I maintain that in a Tatooine brawl, Aliens beat thugs. :D

There's something to be said about a bunch of disorganized truck-stop drunks wasting "yes" men....

bigbarada
11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
It doesn't really matter who would win between Jabba's Thugs or the Cantina Aliens, because the Ewoks would pwn them all any day of the week. :p

El Chuxter
11-27-2009, 01:13 PM
It doesn't really matter who would win between Jabba's Thugs or the Cantina Aliens, because the Ewoks would pwn them all any day of the week. :p
Indeed. Chuka-Trokh could do so in less than five minutes himself, all by himself. Four of those minutes would be because he wanted to do his stretches so he didn't risk pulling anything. :D

Qui-Long Gone
11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Agreed

Ewoks 1 Cantina/Thugs-combined 0

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Depends. Is this INSIDE the cantina or palace? Then I'd put the over/under a little lower on the death count o-meter. Less logs and greenery there.

pbarnard
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't know, you guys are forgetting Kabe is a pretty nasty drunk. Chadra-Fan's and Ewoks are both short and furry. It might be tighter than you think.

IG 8D8
12-04-2009, 08:46 AM
neutral site for the fight. Equal number on each side, since Jabba's guys would vastly out number the drunks.

The warmup fight could be the two bands going at it. Ak Rev and U. Stay look like they would pound those balloon heads into the ground.

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 08:59 AM
The Modal Nodes are six dudes. The Max Rebo band has a numbers advantage, but it's a fat cyclops guy, a scrawny Rodian, Figrin's little brother, a short little elephant dude, and some very girly girls. Either Ak-Rev or Umpass-Stay is technically not a band member, but, even if you count both, the Modal Nodes aren't as disadvantaged as you might think. Tales from Jabba's Palace describes them kicking the crap out of and actually killing members of Max Rebo's band.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
And TFJP is cannon, i.e. God's Truth. End of story. :p