PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Collecting 2010: Your Predictions

Old Fossil
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
With all the rumours floating around about the demise of certain components of Hasbro's Star Wars toy line, I was wondering: what do you think? What lines will end, and which ones will survive the year?

I personally feel that the Transformers line will end. I also don't think we'll see any large ships or vehicles for the 3 3/4" action figure line. As far as the comic packs are concerned, I think the jury's still out on that, as they've done well historically and have only recently been plagued by pegwarmers.

I imagine Clone Wars will continue to be Hasbro's bread and butter, unfortunately. With Legacy already scaled back this year, I don't see that changing in 2010; it may be scaled back even more. A fusion with Legends may be our only hope for seeing never-before-made characters.

A big question in my mind is Galactic Heroes. These have never sold well in my area, though I know they are popular elsewhere. Is there life left in that line?

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what everyone around here thinks about what's coming from Hasbro (and what's not) next year.

Obsession is Nute
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I agree with you, Fossil on the end of the big vehicles. Maybe we will see a rush during Christmas, but the Turbo Tank is moving very slowly in my area.

My gut is telling me 2010 will be the end of the comic packs, although I hope I am very wrong.

I can only imagine what 2010 holds for Legacy, this year has been so terrible when it comes to distribution...I almost feel like it is never going to end. If I walked into any one of my Toy retailers and saw one or two full waves of figures on completely replenished shelves, I might die from shock.

bigbarada
10-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Worst case scenario? The entire line is reduced to nothing but Clone Wars and Saga Legends.

That would suck, but I'd survive. I've lived through one complete cancellation of the Star Wars line, back in the 80s, I can handle a partial cancellation just fine.

I would basically just sit tight, look forward to a CW animated figure of Bossk and wait for the movie line to come back.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-22-2009, 01:32 AM
It seems like they plan to have the movie line running throughout the year, and I can't imagine they'd put the entire year's worth of figures on hiatus. I'm pretty sure that the Legacy Collection name is ending; Hasbro has said as much, which has caused some people to freak out and think that no more figures will be made ever, apparently not remembering that they change the line's name every year or 18 months or so. That might mean the end of the build-a-droid parts, which will please some people, but I've really enjoyed it. Didn't they say they were trying to cut back the number of figures to around 45 or so? I can't say I would mind that too much, just as long as they're actually easy to find and all well-made. The fact that we have no idea what's coming after the EU wave is a little bit disconcerting, though. At least we've got the Force Unleashed packs coming . . .

I don't see them scaling back anything from Clone Wars, but the number of basic figures hasn't gotten nearly as bloated as the number of Legacy Collection figures yet. I collect and really enjoy this line, so I've got nothing to worry about here, I don't think. I don't predict a particularly bright future for the deluxe line, with the Anakin with Can-Cell taking up a lot of space around here and that Desert Sport Skiff coming soon. There is a lot of cool stuff coming in the assortment, though, so hopefully it can survive. I'm thinking the excess crap will be gone after Christmas.

The deluxe vehicle line will probably not have a ton of stuff after the Y-wing. Starting with the ARC-170 was a bad, bad idea. The Y-wings are finally starting to show up, and I can only hope that people will be buying the ARC-170s as gifts, but I'm not sure.

If anything, I bet comic packs will go. People seem to be having a hell of a time finding the newest wave, and it's the first one since March, so clearly things are not moving as they should be. I got it around a month ago at a TRU, and have only seen the repacks from that case since then. Hopefully they'll find a way to get out the Camie and Fixer figures some way, though, since I was excited about those (and will take deleted scene figures over random background Imperial officer #4 any day). They said that the cyborg Darth Maul became part of a Comic-Con exclusive, so that doesn't really bode well for these sets. Then there are still tons of older sets on the shelves. Too bad they didn't pick up the Luke and Deena sets when they took back Yarna and the Organas.

I can't really speak on any of the non-3 3/4" lines since I don't collect them or follow them too closely. It seems like there always has to be a failing side line - Customs comes to mind, but there were only a few of those. Mighty Muggs and Titanium Series are more recent examples, I suppose.

pbarnard
10-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Summary: It's gonna suck.

Only care about the Saga/BAD figures and Comic Packs with the occasional exclusive thrown in there. Don't really go after vehicles. So with those things being reduced in favor of the Clone Wars, it's gonna suck for me.

DarkArtist
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
i think the big vehicles might get the axe, however it's still too early to tell. with the economy the way it is alot of people may be holding off purchasing the Turbo Tank till the holidays, possibly also scooping up any leftover AT-TE's and BMF's.

as far as the Clone Wars line, I strongly agree that it is Hasbro's big selling point, Legacy coming in second (although the though of losing the BAD's is troubling, I both love and hate the concept at the same time). I think the transformers line will dry up soon, and Galactic Heroes might soon follow (huge pegwarming by me for both). I would hate it if the Comic Packs got the axe, this is one of the few lines that I really enjoy since it has given us some really great EU figures that we would not have seen made in all likelyhood.

Obsession is Nute
10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Worst case scenario? The entire line is reduced to nothing but Clone Wars and Saga Legends.

That would suck, but I'd survive. I've lived through one complete cancellation of the Star Wars line, back in the 80s, I can handle a partial cancellation just fine.

I would basically just sit tight, look forward to a CW animated figure of Bossk and wait for the movie line to come back.

That would be a dark, dark day.

Darkross
10-24-2009, 08:17 PM
My money is on a BMF AT-AT and a newly redesigned Snowspeeder and possibly a larger-scaled Probe Droid, and Hoth Turret from the Target exclusive. I'd also love to see a new Cloud Car too...

Old Fossil
10-24-2009, 08:22 PM
My money is on a BMF AT-AT and a newly redesigned Snowspeeder and possibly a larger-scaled Probe Droid, and Hoth Turret from the Target exclusive. I'd also love to see a new Cloud Car too...

Man, I hope you're spot-on with those predictions! I've got my fingers crossed for a BAT-AT myself.:love:

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 08:23 PM
I predict that the Emperor's Guard will be resculpted or re-released. And Darryl DePriest will be mistaken for Darryl Hannah by a crazed (Hannah) fan, kidnapped, forced to dress as a mermaid, and kept in an aquarium for six months.

IG 8D8
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
i thought i read somewhere hasbro had some "big things" planned for 2010...
the amount of new figures is astonishing to me when you look at the lots on entertainment earth. seems there's constantly new figures coming out.

Darkross
10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I would love to see a new Taun-Taun battle pack with both Luke and Han and their respective snow beasts. I would also love to get one of those Hoth repulsor lift transports we see hovering around the rebel base. Put em in a battle pack similar to the Scramble on Yavin, throw in a couple of X-wing ladders, and R2 unit and landing lights...and call her scramble on Hoth.

AmanaMatt
10-29-2009, 07:13 AM

This 'Modern' line had a much longer run than the original classic timeframe - 1995 to now is a helluva run

We have reached the end of the classic OTC era, and so my interest has waned significantly. I dont support Clones, nor comic packs nor transforming figures...

If they were to end the line altogether, I would deal just fine.

When Hasbro was doing those 'Vintage' figures I was in heaven. Sure they had their duds, but so many good ones in a short time. Best Chewie ever, Ig-88, Bossk, etc.....considering it was just a couple of years ago, Hasbro cannot seemingly give us Vintage quality at the $7.50 price point. Paint apps are lacking..........very few figs really jump out at me.....example, the new Slave Leia. She has a decent sculpt, so-so likeness, terrible paint apps and an interesting concept that works better on paper than in execution....decent figure - but, you cant say it really trumps the Deluxe one totally. The chain is wonky - paint apps seems on par or worse than the Deluxe one, and the soft goods looks nicer, but is harder to pose and kinda gets in the way....

Another example of the Modern Hasbro making me scratch my head: did we really need a 'new At-at driver' with crap helmet and Jango clone likeness? Why waste money on fixing a figure that was fantastic a couple of years ago? To me, Hasbro is making questionable decisions that are affecting the line in a very negative way

That said, I must applaud them on a few things: BMF Falcon still brings a smile to my face, love the new Tie Interceptor, the new and super awesome Rancor.....

I am still amazed we have never gotten an all new, high quality Jabba (hey Jabba Glob, I still love u, but it aint the same!!!!)....never gotten a new Speeder Bike so my super awesome Biker Scout can finally sit on something....never gotten a new Probe Droid.....things like that. Sure, Hasbro talks about them

If I read one more Q/A where Hasbro responds with a 'Great Question: we are working on an all new Jabba for the 2011-2012 fiscal year' Then the next Q/A they respond with a ' Good new Bad news: Jabba is now pushed back to 2014-2015 fiscal year, but we moved up that Rancor Keeper to hit this year!!!!!' Its not like I find that actually comforting...

Cane_Adiss
10-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm just hoping that the realistic movie-based line continues, even if in a smaller scale. I hope Hasbro decides to merge the Legends and the movie line into one sku.

I won't mind the pullback on purely collector oriented figures necessarily, as long as they don't go away altogether and I get the ones I want most eventually.

One figure I'm really crossing my fingers for next year is the Mon Calamari Dancer. She's been rumored since last year and I have a feeling she's coming sooner than later.

I hope Hasbro gives the axe to some of the sub-lines they've had around for awhile. Transformers is the biggie that I'd like to see end. It doesn't look like the actual Transformers movie line is doing too hot in my area either. I was glad when they ended Mighty Muggs. Alot of people will hate me for this, but if the comic packs die I wouldn't be too sorry to see them go. In my area nearly every pack since (andi including) the Xizor/ Leiabomination has pegwarmed HARD. That included the Wal-Mart packs with Nrin/ Ibtisam, but it seems that the Lumiya wave has only hit K-mart of all places in my area.

If Galactic Heroes were scaled back some, that would be ok because I think they are putting out more packs at a time than what is smart. Most of the newer packs (save for the Nien Nunb/ Ackbar and the Jawas w/ R2) are really warming the pegs around here. Even the Clone wars oriented sets. But it's the repacks that are the worst offenders. Especially anything to do w/ Leia, Padme, Ahsoka or Jar Jar just doesn't move.

Oh you know what I thought was funny the other day? At wal-mart I was staring at the barren Legacy section and this little kid was complaining to his mom that there wasn't a C-3PO available for him to buy. I assume he was looking for the animated one which was always rare in my area. I pulled a Legends 3-PO off the top peg and showed it to them and they thanked me but the kid didn't want it because HE ALREADY HAD IT. Kids aren't as dumb as we think. They don't want the same ol repacked stuff anymore than many of us do.

dindae
10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Comic packs - Ending. Mainly because repacks will no move and end up killing the line.

Legends - Continuing

Clone Wars - Thriving

Legacy - The fact that I have only seen the TPM wave twice and they are now selling three waves past that on HTS. I think they will actually have to pick up production again. As much as I liked getting most of the figures this year there really have been some boring choices for kids and casual collectors.

Transformers - I never found the appeal so I really don't know.

Galactic Heroes - I think these will continue. They are a kids line. I don't pay attention enough to see if they are really moving.

Large Scale Vehicle - I believe there will be one. Turbo Tanks seem to be sell decently. They are by no means rare but I definately see the space for them being vacated and filled time and time again. However I have seen TRU stock an amazing amount of AT-TEs for some reason.

$70 Vehicles - The Y-Wings seem to be moving but the ARC is a turd. I'm sure there will be at least one more but this is a pretty high price point and since the Arc is likely to leave a bad taste in most of the retailers mouth it won't take much to sink this line. But I think you will see a Twilight and/or a Snowspeeder in this line next year.

DarkJedi5
10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
$70 Vehicles - The Y-Wings seem to be moving but the ARC is a turd. I'm sure there will be at least one more but this is a pretty high price point and since the Arc is likely to leave a bad taste in most of the retailers mouth it won't take much to sink this line. But I think you will see a Twilight and/or a Snowspeeder in this line next year.

A $70 snowspeeder? You've gotta be kidding me! The last time I think we heard anything about this vehicle they were trying to scale it down and get it into the regular vehicle line. All I want out of a new snowspeeder is something that seats two and is more in line with the scale. If I got that, I'd buy 2-3 no questions. If they blew it up and made it actually worth a $70 price tag I don't think I'd even look at it.

dindae
10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
A $70 snowspeeder? You've gotta be kidding me! The last time I think we heard anything about this vehicle they were trying to scale it down and get it into the regular vehicle line. All I want out of a new snowspeeder is something that seats two and is more in line with the scale. If I got that, I'd buy 2-3 no questions. If they blew it up and made it actually worth a $70 price tag I don't think I'd even look at it.

I didn't say I would buy it. But I can see them doing it.

Old Fossil
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't say I would buy it. But I can see them doing it.

:shocked:

A $70 snowspeeder would not only have to actually be able to fire a cable, but be able to fly as well.

Qui-Long Gone
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
My only 2010 predictions are that there will be several figures I pass on :rolleyes: and a couple I buy :thumbsup: and about 25 I wish were being made....:(

Tycho
11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
I personally feel that the Transformers line will end.

I don't care one way or the other. I don't buy these. But I admire them in the store and would kind of miss seeing them. For a subline - these were never junk and come out looking quite cool!

I also don't think we'll see any large ships or vehicles for the 3 3/4" action figure line.

I disagree. I think Hasbro might someday attempt the Sailbarge for a large vehicle - and it could be worked into The Clone Wars for another Jabba appearance.

The small ship assortment will definitely continue. We know the Xanadu Blood is coming (a repaint of the IG Magna Droid Fighter). Our polling shows interest in Dooku's Solar Sailor, the Twin Pod Cloud Car (at long last!), and a Separatist Shuttle, amongst speeders that could be worked into the line. The Droid Gunship, though it did not do well in our polls, would undoubtedly sell because I think many here are in the habit of buying stuff anyway. For the same reason, Padme's Starskiff vehicle from ROTS might be made, as it's in Clone Wars, and Asajj Ventress' craft from the Clone Wars Micro-Series might make an appearence if she gets a new one (Anakin stole hers) in the new Animated Series. The V-19 will probably get a battle-damaged repaint that we all wanted.

Another large vehicle that is very likely, would be The Twilight from Clone Wars. I'd buy this in a second! (Though I'd much prefer movie vehicles)

As far as the comic packs are concerned, I think the jury's still out on that, as they've done well historically and have only recently been plagued by pegwarmers.

The stores need to clearance the pegwarmers and the line needs to continue.

Dark Horse could help by helping characters from The Sith War / Redemption appear (older) in KOTOR (especially Vima Sunrider maybe - that's Nomi's daughter). More mention of Exar Kun and Ulic Qel Droma would also help. Maybe Zayne Carrick will discover what happened to them?

I imagine Clone Wars will continue to be Hasbro's bread and butter, unfortunately.

No doubt, but I'm getting into it.

With Legacy already scaled back this year, I don't see that changing in 2010; it may be scaled back even more. A fusion with Legends may be our only hope for seeing never-before-made characters.

Scaling back and fusing with Legends are both moves I'd dread. It might be economically necessary, but I'm going to hope for just the opposite. I'm loving what they are preparing - what with Jaina and Jacen Solo, etc.

A big question in my mind is Galactic Heroes. These have never sold well in my area, though I know they are popular elsewhere. Is there life left in that line?

I really care about getting new vehicles for GH. I can't wait to get Slave-One. I so badly want a GH Republic Gunship made! Beasts would be fun as well. GH could do the first Space Slug (from ESB)! Playsets would be fun for these figures, too. Here is where the Death Star and Carbon Freezing Room would rock! (Well, I want 'em for the 3 3/4" line as well of course!)

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I imagine all the dust gathering on the first-day Rise of Cobra figures that no one is willing to clear out will finally become a health hazard, preventing anyone from entering the action figure aisle, and killing sales of all action figures entirely. Hasbro, Mattel, and other manufacturers will totally misinterpret the reasons and what this means. All toys after 2010 will be Barbie dolls.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
No one wants to say I'm wrong with my prediction of "It's going to suck"?