PDA

View Full Version : The Middle

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
We were spending a lot of time chatting about this in the thread for Modern Family, so I thought I would start its own thread. I'm finding this show to be gently funny; a hybrid of Roseanne, Malcom in the Middle and Arrested Development.

El Chuxter
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I haven't watched it, but it looked totally like a biteoff of Malcolm in the Middle, right down to the name. Being neither of fan of Malcolm or Patricia Heaton, I passed. But if one of your impeccable taste makes a comparison to Arrested Development, I'll try to check it out.

Truth be told, the way they're advertising it, everyone I've spoken to thought it was a shameless Malcolm knockoff, and no one's watched it.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
That's what I had thought originally, and it's really not like that. The daughter, Sue, has to be one of my favourite characters on television this season. She is so bravely clueless as she dives headlong into everything she tries... and subsequently fails on a colossal level. She's a bit like Jan Brady from the Brady Bunch movies of the 90s mixed with Alyson Hannigan in the American Pie films.

It may strike you as a little bit Napoleon Dynamite at times... but not as quietly bizarre.

Ando
10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
That's The daughter, Sue, has to be one of my favourite characters on television this season. She is so bravely clueless as she dives headlong into everything she tries... and subsequently fails on a colossal level. She's a bit like Jan Brady from the Brady Bunch movies of the 90s mixed with Alyson Hannigan in the American Pie films.

YES! That's what I thought, too! So glad I am not the only one.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 08:19 PM
YES! That's what I thought, too! So glad I am not the only one.

We're 10 for 10 today, aren't we? :thumbsup:

autumnsdescent
10-23-2009, 11:48 PM
As someone who has grown up in Indiana and currently living in Indianapolis, I can vouch that many of us here find "The Middle" and "Parks & Recreation" an insult. I mean c'mon - there's no nascar or heavily obese people in these shows... (sarcasm)

JEDIpartner
10-24-2009, 02:59 PM
As someone who has grown up in Indiana and currently living in Indianapolis, I can vouch that many of us here find "The Middle" and "Parks & Recreation" an insult. I mean c'mon - there's no nascar or heavily obese people in these shows... (sarcasm)

LOL!!!!! Oh, dear... I have to pee!!!!! :D

Ando
10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
I finally saw last week's episode. The whole bit with Olivia was HILARIOUS if only for the fact that my wife's name is Olivia. I deleted the episode without showing her though. I am pretty sure it would have ****ed her off since we spent last week fighting.

Sue is is such a sweet girl and well played. You just can't help feeling bad for her. The post cards she sent home were hysterical.

OC47150
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM

As a fellow Hoosier, The Middle doesn't offend me as much as Parks and Recreation.

It's a funny show. I enjoy it. Brick is a little man in a child's suit. He's creepy. Creepy.

JEDIpartner
10-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Sue is is such a sweet girl and well played. You just can't help feeling bad for her. The post cards she sent home were hysterical.

I know!!!! "Mad"... "Still Mad"... :love:

I take no offence in this show and the way Midwesterners are portrayed. I'm from Ohio and they've really got a lot of the working class vibe perfect.

JEDIpartner
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
"But dad... you promised that you'd take me to the book signing!!" LOL

The whole Brick playing basketball scene was hilarious!!!!

JEDIpartner
11-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh, my god... Sue's pictures had me on the floor PMSL!!! I wish I could get a screen shot of the last one so I could use it as an avatar!!!

Charlie McDermott has the self-involved teen thing down perfectly. I don't know if it's acting or if that's the way he really was at home, but he nailed it.

God... I love this show!!

sonofsokol
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
I was hesitant to start watching this show. I used to work for Albertsons and had to sit through a 45 minute meeting when they started the airing the commercials with Patricia Heaton in them, so I have always disliked her for that. The comments here got me to take a look and now I am hooked.
I loved the seen where the dad kept adding punishments...
"No door, no TV."
"No door, no phone"
"No door, no food"
"...you're right that would take to long, no door no water"

Great show

JEDIpartner
11-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I was hesitant to start watching this show. I used to work for Albertsons and had to sit through a 45 minute meeting when they started the airing the commercials with Patricia Heaton in them, so I have always disliked her for that. The comments here got me to take a look and now I am hooked.
I loved the seen where the dad kept adding punishments...
"No door, no TV."
"No door, no phone"
"No door, no food"
"...you're right that would take to long, no door no water"

Great show

That was a great scene!

I also liked how they kept showing different things happening in the house due to the door being broken. The sight of Frankie raking leaves out of the foyer in the morning was hysterical! The capper was the deer eating Brick's sugar cube pyramid!!! "Oh, now come ONNNNNN!"

:D

sonofsokol
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
The deer eating the sugar cubes was priceless.

JEDIpartner
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
It's the really random stuff like that sends me into fits of hysterics.

All right, I went onto Hulu.com and grabbed some screen shots.

Here we go!!!

OC47150
11-06-2009, 07:49 PM
It's the really random stuff like that sends me into fits of hysterics.

All right, I went onto Hulu.com and grabbed some screen shots.

Here we go!!!

Too funny.

Sugar cubes.

Axel is the typical American teen.

JEDIpartner
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
It's Wednesday!!!!!! :love:

Sadly, our shows aren't on because of the stupid CMAs!!!!

JEDIpartner
11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Who knew that a simple attempt to make the trash pick-up would turn into such a nightmare? I was crying when they kept showing Axl asking the social worker about being placed with a foster family and Sue just crying and crying!! I love this show!!!

*whipsers* "Super Mario..."

:D

OC47150
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
You almost have to tune in each week just to hear what Brick is gonna whisper.

JEDIpartner
11-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I know... LOL

Ando
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Another funny episode last night...

"Did something happen to the big TV?"

Totally how it was when I was growing up.

"And mom can't run or she'll have to pee."

OC47150
12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
It was pre-empted in my area for basketball. : ( I don't know if it aired later or not.

wampaslayr
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
"Why are you watching the same thing on three different TV's?"

"We couldn't agree on the volume level."

I am enjoying this show more and more each week.

sonofsokol
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Another great episode...sometimes I wonder if they get show ideas from little hidden cameras all over my house.:D

About an hour before my wife and I sat down to watch this episode I discovered that my son had broken part of the hinge on this galactic heroes snow speeder. Its the part the snaps the canopy, or "lid" as he calls it, to the ship so now it has ZERO ability to stay on at all which really sucks.:frus:

So, after counting to 10 slowly in my head and taking a few deep breaths, I tried to have a "talk" with him about taking better care of our toys. During our discussion I threw in the line, "I know that Santa doesn't like to bring new toys to little boys who don't take good care of their old toys." He's 4 and pretty tough, but he whelled up with tears and started sobbing, with huge tears streaming down his face. I didn't know what to do, I felt so horrible. He jumped off my lap and ran to his mom. It was awful.

Seeing poor Brick terrified to speak so he doesn't whisper back to himself a lose out on presents was like pouring salt into my wounds. Amazingly my wife found that scene particularly funny.:evil:

Ando
12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
So, after counting to 10 slowly in my head and taking a few deep breaths, I tried to have a "talk" with him about taking better care of our toys. During our discussion I threw in the line, "I know that Santa doesn't like to bring new toys to little boys who don't take good care of their old toys." He's 4 and pretty tough, but he whelled up with tears and started sobbing, with huge tears streaming down his face. I didn't know what to do, I felt so horrible. He jumped off my lap and ran to his mom. It was awful.

How long before he stopped crying and got over it?

I only ask because during the summer, my family went a local old school amusement park here in Portland and my 4 year old nephew wanted to go on the bumper cars, but unfortunately they're single seaters and you can't take passengers (like other places that let you) and I had to get down on one knee and explain that he couldn't go because he was too little.

He instantly understood, dropped his head, slumped his shoulders, and just about broke my heart when he started crying. Then my wife and my sister (his mom) came over and got him excited about a ride he COULD go on and he was just fine and now 4-5 months later, I still feel a little teary eyed when I think about it.

sonofsokol
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
He was all out crying for just a few minutes, he then had the quivering lip-thing for a few more. My wife kind of came to the rescue with play dough which distracted him. I think he was mostly over it after about 15 minutes cause he was back to playing/wrestling with his brother. He's got a real tender spirit and I need to remember that he's only 4 and be more careful/sensitive with some things. Being a parent is tough work.

He wanted me to read him his bedtime stories about 45 minutes after it happened so I guess he forgave me... much more quickly than I would have forgiven me.

JEDIpartner
01-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Two episodes tonight!!!

OC47150
01-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Wednesday night was the funniest 1 1/2 hour's of TV I'd seen in a long time. I watched both eps of the Middle a second time.

I'm lying.

OC47150
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
For someone who's been laid off, I can really relate to Mike's job search.

And Brick didn't talk to himself!

JEDIpartner
01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
But Brick's speech to his classmates was priceless!!!!

OC47150
01-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Love the school pix episode!

Sugar cubes.

OC47150
02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
This show keeps gettting better and better.

wampaslayr
02-11-2010, 08:06 PM
One of the funniest shows on TV. Love this show. Last night's episode was hilarious.

"Did you give him chocolate?" "It made him purr."

I hope this show gets renewed for another season because it is a perfect lead in for Modern Family.

UKWildcat
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Easily the second funniest new show on TV! I love it!!!

Ando
02-12-2010, 10:56 AM
"Did you give him chocolate?" "It made him purr."

The whole kid acting like a cat thing was HILARIOUS.

sonofsokol
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
My favorite part was when Mike went to the party to pick up Sue and made the big scene like Sue had snuck out and all that. After that scene I turned to my wife and said, "that is the kind of dad I want to be!" The picture that Axl and his friends sent to their lady friends was hilarious.
All that and Brick being the most normal kid in his group...:crazed:

OC47150
03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
As much as I enjoyed the Axel storyline, the Sue and Brick Pod Zombie storyline was funnier. The pod parents.

Did you notice Sue popping a VHS tape into the player?

sonofsokol
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Great episode. the zombie stuff was great, especially Brick memorizing the fire escape plan in case the zombies set the school on fire...

and speaking of VHS tapes... the other day, I went to put on an old VHS tape for my son and realized that the VCR wasn't hooked up... We've lived in our house for almost 2 years now... apparently, the VCR hasn't been connected all along and nobody noticed...:D

OC47150
03-15-2010, 03:12 PM
That's funny.

I'm probably the exception to the rule: I still use my VCR on a daily basis. I have countless of movies taped on VHS that will probably never be released on DVD.

The parents went the DVR route last fall and haven't used the VCR since.

Brick memorizing the fire plan was good. Kinda reminded me of the end of Blair Witch.

OC47150
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Good ep. I think I would've slugged the motivational speaker.

OC47150
04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm really enjoying the Sue and Brick interaction.

It was a good, realistic ep, too. How many of us have been placed in similar situations? Minus the funeral aspect, of course.

OC47150
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Semper Fi, my friend. Semper Fi.

Man, the Brick storyline just stole the show.