PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New Rebel Transport Vehicle?

Tycho
10-26-2009, 02:11 AM
I am continuing my new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case a modern Rebel Transport vehicle from Empire Strikes Back).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a modern Rebel Transport vehicle from Empire Strikes Back?

This ship was originally made in 1982 for the vintage Kenner Star Wars toy line (bought by Hasbro for you youngsters). The ship had a cockpit with seating for 2, and 2 defense cannons in the rear for shooting enemies off the escaping ship's tail. However, besides having an escape hatch out the bottom of the ship (useful only if it were landed in a breathable atmosphere in the majority of cases), the ship was mostly a carrying case for figures. It held about 24 action figures and their accessories.

See a picture of the vintage here. (http://www.rebelscum.com/vintRebelTransport.asp)

I would personally want the ship updated and a play interior added. I wouldn't use the carrying-case aspect of it. Since that was a removeable tray to contain the figures anyway, I'd say retool it (as many modern figures are way larger than those from the vintage days anyway), and include it for those nostalgic for that. But also have an addable interior with play or diorama features. An interior that would be acceptable to me could mimic the interior of the Tantive IV and also the Mon Calamari star cruiser (but maybe the planetary hologram be of Hoth instead of Endor?). Both interiors could be included with the ship, and swapped out according to the preference of the buyer. The top "pod" that served as a closing handle of the vintage ship could be replaced by a pilotable craft that could hold one figure and act as an escape ship - like the BMF and Naboo Royal Starship each have smaller vehicles included with them. I think that's what the actual top pod is on "the real ship" anyway. I'd leave the defensive laser cannons in place, as well as the cockpit, but upgrade the control chairs and so forth. The rear guns need seating for 2 gunners, as well. An "EU" version of a Rebel Gunner out to be made (or two - an alien and a human gunner - perhaps in Rebel Fleet Trooper style uniforms (or those similar with a "radiation suit" type bend on them - like Rebel versions of the Death Star Gunners).

I envision this vehicle for the $70 price range possibly, though it could be higher - especially if you start including figures. This ship doesn't need to be too elaborate and it's not that large, plus they can make it way underscale.

Do you want this ship (re)made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

This vehicle the Rebels were using is actually designed (in the Star Wars universe) as a freighter, and could be in use during the Prequel Era (and thus the Clone Wars) as well as the OT timeline.

If the "Rebel Transport" gets seen in Clone Wars, kids might recognize it and it could gain further traction. Are you interested in that occuring?

Oh, and how about attachable freight bundles that snap on to the front end of the ship, as they are seen in Echo Base and the Special Edition shots on Mos Eisley during the last update to A New Hope?

pbarnard
10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
It was a ship and a carrying case, and it did neither reasonably well the first time. No way would they add anything to it. Nothing happens on the inside, and if they could make something like the ability to load a T-47 (not snowspeeder), it would be so massively scaled and price prohibitive. This is a pass. Go with the Starship battles mini or the Titanium instead. Let's you go the same action as the movie.

DarkJedi5
10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah, there's really no way I will ever buy a ship larger than the BMF. I just wouldn't have room for it.

steve2477
10-26-2009, 10:16 AM
It might look good, but i doubt Hasbro would ever update this craft.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM
It's just so boring and too huge. If they were to add play value to it as you suggested, they should just make the Tantive IV or Home One instead. Since we never saw the interior of it in the films, I doubt they would want to expand this into a full playset thing, and I can't really see them re-releasing the vintage one, either.

El Chuxter
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
If Hasbro refuses to make the Cloud Car, which sold well back in the day and which they're constantly hounded about, they won't make this age-old shelfwarmer that no one cares enough to ask about.

And my vote is no, not unless they make it bloody spectacular AND a killer deal. Or pack Jaxxon with it.

bigbarada
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
I would have to say no. I don't think the vintage mold would hold up under today's standards. Unless it gets featured heavily in the Clone Wars cartoon, I don't see this ever being rereleased.

indyjones1981
10-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I loved this ship as a kid. I always thought it was so cool. It was my 3rd favorite ship behind the Falcon and Snowspeeder to play with. Loved the Cloud Car too. I really hope Hasbro will make an updated version of the Cloud Car. Hey I can dream can't I!

Darth Jax
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
i might purchase it if it were released again as a ship/carry case. i wouldn't buy it if redesigned as you described.

Devo
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
OT vehicle that I could put in echo base so yes definitely, I'd buy.

However yeah, it won't happen.

Darth Metalmute
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I would pass on the transport. Anything over 35 dollars would be too much for this ship. There are plently of other ships that deserve resculpts, new scupts and re-releases before this one.

morpheus282
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd buy, even if it was a straight remake of the old one. It was always one of my favorite vehicles since it had play value and worked for storage too.

IG 8D8
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
it was a cool ship, once you opened it up there were a lot of things you could do with it. It pretty much served as the rebel base since they made no rebel base playset. I like the look of it, it could be remade.

Snowtrooper
10-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd buy it. I always kinda liked the look of the ship. $70 would be the correct price range for this item, provided it was as long as the CW Y-Wing. Like the vintage, the whole top should come off. It should have a cockpit area, seating for troops, areas for cargo, firing missles, landing gear, a loading ramp, and some blue LED engines with some engine sounds. I don't know about kids, but if it would be done right, I think it would appeal to alot of collectors.

eliwankenobi
10-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I still have my original Rebel Transport and that suits me fine. I would rather Hasbro create the Tantive if they're going to do a cruiser-styled ship.

clone157
10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I would love a new version of this vehicle. Maybe move a little more toward the design of the Galoob version from the Micro Machine line (for those of you that did not get this version, I highly recommend it). The classic version is great, especially if you were an action fleet collector, but a revised version would be cool. I would like to see perhaps a type of snap in harness system similar to that of the AT-TE, using u-shaped clips to hold figures to the inner sides of the ship, leaving interior play area with computer terminals to put your figures to work at. This is something that Hasbro has not clued into yet; the ship that is a playset. Sure they did the Falcon, but we need other ships that can be used by clones, Rebels, battle droids, etc. Furthermore the dual usage (ship/carrying case) would appeal to parents as something that is more than a toy, something to keep their kids messes confined.

Tycho
10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree. Darth Jax didn't seem to understand my suggestion (I think) that the transport come with 2 interior options. The carry case he'd prefer would be one of them. But as in the old vintage version of this ship, that is removeable (like the silverware holder in a dishwasher).

I'd have the ship include the part option to place inside of it a different tray with the playset features Clone157 is talking about.

In this way, the ship comes with everything included to please both Darth Jax and Clone157, at minimal additional cost - the interior is almost the equivalent of including a silverware holder with a new dishwasher).

dindae
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
If I really wanted one I would pick up a vintage one. If they did a vintage like release I might pick it up for $35 but I definately wouldn't push for one. Since I have never seen a glimpse of the interior I can't imagine getting a full blown version either.

DarkArtist
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
would love to have this ship redone to today's standards... I'm thinking larger and more detailed, no as bulky though.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Nah. In the movie, it's mainly just a bunch of boxes under a shell with a control cockpit atop. Galoob did a Micro Machines playset of it, it was pretty fun, but it wouldn't be worth the money for the figure line.

Tycho
11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
The decision here is deadlocked! I think I might get some more Rebel Transports. I have a vintage for my "SOTE escaping Coruscant starships I hang," but I can always use more of these ships elsewhere.

Still, my vote would only render a 10-10 tie, so we don't have any kind of decision here. On the other hand, strong support would be strong support (Jabba's Sailbarge and the Twin Pod Cloud Car each had 26 votes in favor of them, and almost no one opposed).

Tycho
01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
There is still no push to get a new Rebel Transport vehicle.

It doesn't look good for making this one happen.