PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero 5 and the future of the GH property.

scruffziller
10-27-2009, 10:20 AM
GH5 SUX!!!! I only bought it becasue of the ability to get GH:Van Halen which is AWESOME!!!!! GH5's track listing is 75% disappointing. I looked at Band Hero's, its even worse, MUCH worse. Styx-Mr. Roboto is the best one on there. They have some noteworthy artists on there but they dont have any of the songs I know. If you are going to put some artist's secondary stuff on there, at least put their main hit on the game too.
They're doing this to milk the property for all its worth. But they can do that without making the games suck.:upset: There is SO MUCH music out there they could use.:thumbsup:

I wish DJ Hero would have come out about 10 years ago. I would have been all over that then.

DarthQuack
10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
My brother picked up DJ Hero today and it looks pretty fun from when he was playing it....I might try it out tomorrow :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I've heard this complaint about GH5's tracklist, and always find it a bit odd. If I buy a new Mario game that starts with him fighting Bowser, and then some new villain named Rodney comes in and beats up Bowser and steals the Princess in a cut scene, and then the rest of the game is Mario vs Rodney, should I complain that I only know Bowser? I don't know all the tracks, but I've enjoyed playing the ones I don't know, and, like World Tour, I've found new stuff I like. Was there any artist in particular whose song choice you were particularly against?

Maybe it's because I tend to like almost anything as long as it's well-done, but the only problem I've seen with the song choices was in Van Halen, where they made a point to eliminate all Hagar-era music by the band, probably because Eddie's a wickdeed. Of course, it could be worse: at least Hagar starts a controversy; no one ever admits Cherone was ever lead singer of Van Halen even though he recorded their second-best album (for anyone who can get over the Hagar/Roth testesterone fest and listen to them all objectively).

As for Band Hero, there's some serious carp (isn't Hillary Duff on there), but I saw "Mr Roboto" and "ABC" and nearly pooped in my pants.

pbarnard
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Also, don't forget they probably want to accomodate the technical aspects of playing. While not even close to the real things, there are some songs that are just hard to play on the real insturments. Same band, slightly less technically demanding song is better for the game play issues.

Slicker
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
GH is dead.

Rock Band won me over for life with Rock Band: Beatles. I love that damn game! :love:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Guitar Hero 5 seems to have enough good stuff to get it. Band Hero and DJ Hero are pretty much definite passes, with the former having way too much crappy pop and the latter just being uninteresting to me.

We also have the first two Rock Band games, but have barely played them due to focusing more on GH. I should rectify that soon . . .

El Chuxter
10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I think DJ Hero looks dumb. Maybe it's just me, but it does not seem interesting at all. Band Hero looks pretty good; we might order that from Amazon, where it's a couple dollars cheaper and eligible for free shipping. Plus, there's a $5 credit toward MP3s of the songs in the game, and we've already got a $10 off any videogame credit.

Trouble is, I was looking at the track list on Amazon, and I might have trouble finding $5 worth of stuff I don't have but want:

Haves:
Kung Fu Fighting
I Want You to Want Me
Let's Dance
Whip It
American Pie
Rio
Bring Me to Life
Monkey Wrench
ABC
Black Cat
I Predict a Riot
Walking on Sunshine
Suddenly I See
Our Truth [Hey, wait a second--this was on World Tour! Shenanigans!!]
She Will Be Loved
I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Just a Girl
Excuse Me Mister
So What
Love Is a Battlefield
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
No One Knows
Oh, Pretty Woman
Two Princes [Call me nuts, but this might be the real winner here--Schenkeman was horribly underrated as a guitarist. He's not great, but damned good at catchy riffs.]
Mr Roboto
Our Lips Are Sealed
Spaceman
Get Free
If You Could Only See
YMCA

I'm 50% sure I have Big Country, too. It's one of those I always assume I have since I've got so many 80s compilations, but it might be one of those tracks that's never anthologized.

Of the stuff that's left, I only have, as far as owning outside the game, any interest in:
Angels of the Silences
The Impression that I Get
maybe Take Back the City
maybe Believe
Boots of Chinese Plastic

Thing is, the first two are by bands I like, but would buy the entire albums by (especially since used CDs of these albums are common at $2-5). No way would I get a track a la carte by The Pretenders. The other two, I only know they're sort of "poor men's Coldplay" bands.

El Chuxter
10-28-2009, 02:06 PM
BTW, I noticed the Wikipedia entry listed a few additional songs, though they don't apply to the Amazon special, it would seem:

Black Cat
Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Happy Together
Bad Reputation (!!!!!!!!!!)
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?
Don't Speak
Honky Tonk Women
Take a Picture
Put Your Records On
Santa Monica (Watch the World Die)
Steal My Kisses
Warwick Avenue
Wannabe (which sounds stupid at first, but imagine a large group playing this--could be fun)
You Had Me

I didn't list anything that I think sucks or am totally indifferent toward, as I wouldn't have noticed them being different on the lists.

Unfortunately, according to that source, some of the better songs listed at Amazon are only on the DS version, including Two Princes, Monkey Wrench, and No One Knows.

scruffziller
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I've heard this complaint about GH5's tracklist, and always find it a bit odd. If I buy a new Mario game that starts with him fighting Bowser, and then some new villain named Rodney comes in and beats up Bowser and steals the Princess in a cut scene, and then the rest of the game is Mario vs Rodney, should I complain that I only know Bowser? I don't know all the tracks, but I've enjoyed playing the ones I don't know, and, like World Tour, I've found new stuff I like. Was there any artist in particular whose song choice you were particularly against?

I'll give you that argument Chux. However, om World tour the only song I discovered was Stranglehold by Uncle Ted and GH5, well I havent made it all the way through but so far, nothing good discovered to speak of.:dis:

figrin bran
10-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I actually like GH5 quite a bit. Gameplay feels a lot better to me than Rock Band 1 and 2. On the latter, it just feels like you're playing notes while in the GH games, the circular notes lend themselves to making you feel as if you're playing phrases.

However, the tracklist could've been a bit better and there are instances where they had great artist selections, like the White Stripes, but totally dropped the ball in picking out from their catalogues - Blue Orchid??? There are like 50 White Stripe songs that would've been better choices.

I do see some cause for concern with the GH franchise, however. Gameplay has gotten a lot easier. Notes that I would've missed on expert in GH2 and 3 and even World Tour, I actually hit in GH5 because the timing window is a lot more generous. Track selection is also skewed towards less demanding especially in the first half of career mode - Coldplay's In My Place comes to mind.

The easier gameplay may be attributable to the games becoming more band oriented with World Tour and not so much a guitar shred fest. If the GH franchise does tank, that more than anything else will likely be the turning point.

El Chuxter
10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
My biggest concern would be oversaturation. Last year, there was Aerosmith and World Tour (late in the year). This year, Metallica, Smash Hits, 5, Van Halen, DJ Hero, and Band Hero. No matter how popular, I don't know the market can support this much.

Also, there was the promise of loading tracks from previous games into 5 and Band Hero. So far, a small handful are available for something like $3. But no one will answer the big question: if more are made available, as they promise, will they be included in that one-time fee, or will it be an additional fee. Three bucks for all (or the majority of) the tunes in World Tour or Smash Hits to be used in all future games, I'll pay. Three bucks per small batch of songs, not as good a deal; I'll switch discs.

What is up with playable celebrity characters only having one tune? They made such a big deal about Johnny Cash, and one whole tune, just over two minutes long? Seems a waste of a character.

figrin bran
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
My biggest concern would be oversaturation. Last year, there was Aerosmith and World Tour (late in the year). This year, Metallica, Smash Hits, 5, Van Halen, DJ Hero, and Band Hero. No matter how popular, I don't know the market can support this much.

Also, there was the promise of loading tracks from previous games into 5 and Band Hero. So far, a small handful are available for something like $3. But no one will answer the big question: if more are made available, as they promise, will they be included in that one-time fee, or will it be an additional fee. Three bucks for all (or the majority of) the tunes in World Tour or Smash Hits to be used in all future games, I'll pay. Three bucks per small batch of songs, not as good a deal; I'll switch discs.

What is up with playable celebrity characters only having one tune? They made such a big deal about Johnny Cash, and one whole tune, just over two minutes long? Seems a waste of a character.

Well, you could always make Mr. Cash your default lead singer.

Rocketboy
10-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, you could always make Mr. Cash your default lead singer.That was the big controversy with Kurt Cobain. Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl were not happy with the fact you could use Kurt for any song, rather than just Nirvana tunes. Courtney Love tried to say she was ticked off as well (and threatened to sue),even though she was the one who agreed to everything.

scruffziller
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Courtney Love tried to say she was ticked off as well (and threatened to sue),even though she was the one who agreed to everything.

Yea..she's a fugly, kiniving whorrre.:D

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Some thoughts on Band Hero, from playing it once:

1) The censorship is way overboard. "American Pie" censors out the word "whiskey." WTF? That's a classic; you don't mess with that song. Oddly, it keeps the line, "No angel born in hell could break that Satan's spell." It also kills the entire line, "you're wasted," from the chorus of Joss Stone's "You Had Me." I know they were going for family-friendly, but, dude, it's overboard. (And they kept the song "Wannabe," which seems to be about a girl wanting her would-be boyfriend to make whoopie with all her friends. At least that's all the sense I can make out of it.)

2) Some of the credits are off. "Oh Pretty Woman" is said to be from 1964. It's not. The guitar is notably different, and the vocals are about as different as they can be and still be recognizably Roy Orbison. I'm thinking it's from that 80s hits album where he re-recorded everything, like they did with "Ring of Fire" on GH5, but I've not heard that version and can't be sure. I'm also not 100% sure, but I think "Kung Fu Fighting" might be a later version, too; Carl Douglas sounds not as vibrant as I remember.

3) Some of the mixes are a bit on the weird side. On the Turtles' "Happy Together," the orchestra in the chorus is way, way overstated. I know this because it ties into...

4) There's a lot of playing non-guitar parts on the guitar. It's weird at first to play piano, brass sections, or synthesizer on the guitar, especially in songs like "American Pie" where you play piano, and are suddenly playing guitar, then piano again.

It's not bad, but those are some definite drawbacks. I think the good outweighs the bad, but it'd be nice to play "American Pie" and actually hear the full song without edits.

preacher
11-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Have not bought Band Hero yet. However, my copy of GH: Van Halen arrived in the mail the other day. I hope that those of you that purchased GH5 also took advantage of the Van Halen special offer. Great stuff.

I really hope that in the near future the tracks from Van Halen and Metallica are importable into GH5.

In my opinion the presentation in the Guitar Hero franchise is superior to Rock Band. However, the mechanics of Rock Band is superior to Guitar Hero.

figrin bran
11-14-2009, 01:16 AM
I bought and downloaded the White Stripes pack for Rock Band 2 today! For those who might be interested, the tracks are Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground, Girl You Have No Faith in Medicine and Icky Thump. You can also purchase tracks separately.

Icky Thump is incredibly hard on expert guitar, btw.

El Chuxter
11-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Through 12/3, Costco has an instant rebate for $20 off all Band Hero games (at least the game-only versions). I will be returning the one I bought a few weeks ago. Or, more accurately, the one I got this morning will be returned on the few-weeks-old receipt. Twenty bucks is enough to justify making an extra trip.