PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Re-Release Of The Imperial Shuttle Vehicle?

Tycho
10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I am continuing my new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the previously released Imperial Shuttle vehicle from Return of the Jedi).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a re-release of the Imperial Shuttle vehicle from Return of the Jedi?

This ship was originally made in 1984 for the vintage Kenner Star Wars toy line (bought by Hasbro for you youngsters). The ship has been re-released several times in the modern line but is not currently available - the last time it hit stores was around 2002 in the blue Saga packaging I believe.

You all probably know what this vehicle is like and it's features, so I won't delve into describing it. Some of you might have missed out on buying it at the time, or would not like to purchase another one.

I envision this vehicle for the $70 price range possibly, because Hasbro would NOT require any investment into new tooling, though it could be higher - because of current packing and shipping costs or store exclusive profit-hording. Who knows?

I do not want them to include figures because we already have enough Darth Vader figures, a good Emperor from ROTJ needs to be made - still, and you might want to use this ship as a stolen craft employed by the Rebel Alliance so what the heck would you want Imperial figures included with it for?

But in any case, Return of the Jedi is officially out of new ship options, so we'll be looking at re-releases and new mold updates for a few of the ROTJ vehicles from this point on, unless others have any more suggestions.

ROTJ vehicles include:

Tatooine Skiff
Jabba's Sailbarge (already polled for)
Mon Calamari Cruiser (already polled for)
Speederbikes (hint for future poll)
Ewok Glider (seeing release now)
A-wing Fighter (just re-released)
B-wing Fighter (just re-released as Dagger Squadron version)
TIE Interceptor (in Toys R Us today)
AT-ST (new mold update on its way, shown at Comic Con)
Imperial Shuttle

Am I missing anything?

So do you want the Imperial Shuttle vehicle re-released?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

pbarnard
10-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking this would be in the $100 neighborhood. So yet again, budget forces me to pass. They could go total screwball with the pack ins and include an updated Orrimako or Nic Sant; if they really wanted to go all in they should make some generic rebel operative trying to steal the shuttle and call it Lt. Page. But more than likely it would be Imperial something or other. This would definitely be a harbringer for Det o' da line. It would languish for years in TRU shelves. Be available maybe 1 week at Walmart, and show up for a month at Target before being clearanced.

Ando
10-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Tycho, just an FYI: This was out for the holidays (between Thanksgiving and New Years as a Target exclusive back in 2006 for about $100.00.

I bought one and that's all I need. (Funny story: I went to Target with my then GF, now wife and plunked one down in my cart. Apparently she'd already gotten it for me as a Christmas gift and was ****ed because she had to take it back.

It's a neat ship, but doesn't do anything and is starting to show its age (It aged better than a lot of the re-issued vintage stuff).

Unless it's retooled, I don't need another one.

Snowtrooper
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I already have 2, so my answer is no.

steve2477
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I already own it from a previous Hasbro release, so i probably wouldnt buy another.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I got the 2002 one but not the 2006 one. Do we really need another?

I think Palpatine's shuttle has a stripe down the middle that Tydirium and the Hasbro versions don't, so if they wanted to, they could do that (but I'm not even sure if that's correct or not). But I'm using the one I have in an Imperial setup so I don't really care about the accuracy here.

DarkJedi5
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I've got the newest one and unless this thing was retooled top to bottom with much more details I don't think I'd be able to pull the trigger for another one.

pbarnard
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Me = only one without one?

Old Fossil
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
I got one from the last release and love it, despite the "vintage"-sized pegs for figures in the cargo hold.

SO... I probably wouldn't buy another one. I believe it sold well in each of its last several releases, though, so Hasbro could probably make a little money off of it again, as another store exclusive.

TheDarthVader
10-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I had one, but traded it away. I think I would buy one if they put a better paint scheme on it more like the titanium emperor's hand. Also, they need to fix the wing issue. Seems like a lot of us had trouble getting the wings to lie flat against the middle wing. My left side wing would always have a 2-3 inch gap, so the ship looked kinda dorky when displayed with the wings in the upright position. Also, hasbro screwed up on the turret guns on the wings and put them upside down. They need to fix that because in all actuality the guns were supposed to be facing the other way! Have you guys not thought about all of these things? This ship needs improvement. If hasbro improved these things, I would definitely buy one. I could not stand the sight of seeing my wings misaligned so I traded it away. Like I said, with the wings in that position, it looks really stupid. What you get is one wing lying flat against the middle wing, but one wing sticking out on the other side. Both wings need to lie FLAT. :D

El Chuxter
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I got the first when KB was clearancing it out. I've never opened it. I probably should give it to someone who will enjoy it. So, no.

Old Fossil
10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I had one, but traded it away. I think I would buy one if they put a better paint scheme on it more like the titanium emperor's hand. Also, they need to fix the wing issue. Seems like a lot of us had trouble getting the wings to lie flat against the middle wing. My left side wing would always have a 2-3 inch gap, so the ship looked kinda dorky when displayed with the wings in the upright position. Also, hasbro screwed up on the turret guns on the wings and put them upside down. They need to fix that because in all actuality the guns were supposed to be facing the other way! Have you guys not thought about all of these things? This ship needs improvement. If hasbro improved these things, I would definitely buy one. I could not stand the sight of seeing my wings misaligned so I traded it away. Like I said, with the wings in that position, it looks really stupid. What you get is one wing lying flat against the middle wing, but one wing sticking out on the other side. Both wings need to lie FLAT. :D

None of this bothered me much. Sure, it's a big, gangly, kinda rickety toy, but it's not as bad as the AT-AT, and the inaccuracies are (for me) part of its charm... even including the foot pegs.

Devo
10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I dunno, probably not unless they modified it with new features. I suppose I could find a use for a second one such as landed on Endor, Home One hangar bay but it'd be a lot of money for another one of these and they are awkward to display because of their height.

morpheus282
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I missed it every time it was out. Couldn't get it when it was realeased in the vintage line since my parents deemed it too expensive. Every subsequent release it's either not been on the shelf in my area or my finances prevented it from going home with me.

I got the first when KB was clearancing it out. I've never opened it. I probably should give it to someone who will enjoy it. So, no.

If you're looking for a volunteer to give it a good home... :D

Tycho
10-28-2009, 06:56 PM
TheDarthVader: are the wings really supposed to touch the center fin when the ship is landed? I'll have to watch the movie again, but I like them all just pointed straight up (not touching).

I'd think that on the real ship, there'd be a damage-hazard for letting the wings actually touch anyway. It could be as disastrous as letting Jawas loose on the Death Star.

AmanaMatt
10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
While a very cool ship, I'd pass. Considering last one had a price reduction, cant imagine anyone picking this up as an exclusive.....

TheDarthVader
10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
TheDarthVader: are the wings really supposed to touch the center fin when the ship is landed? I'll have to watch the movie again, but I like them all just pointed straight up (not touching).

I stand corrected. However, my wings were different distances apart from the center wing so one poked out further than the other and it looked stupid. It looked good from one side or the other. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I am talking about the two outside wings. One of mine was probably at a 60 degree angle while the other one was more at a 70 or 80 degree angle. It just always bothered me. Apparently, hasbro started my wing hinges at different points so they were uneven. I thought others had this problem. :confused:

Darth Jax
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
i've got a couple (from the most recent releases) so unless it was retooled i'd pass on future re-releases of it.

DarkJedi5
10-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I stand corrected. However, my wings were different distances apart from the center wing so one poked out further than the other and it looked stupid. It looked good from one side or the other. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I am talking about the two outside wings. One of mine was probably at a 60 degree angle while the other one was more at a 70 or 80 degree angle. It just always bothered me. Apparently, hasbro started my wing hinges at different points so they were uneven. I thought others had this problem. :confused:

Yeah, I've read a lot about this problem and mine does it too. I once ran across a fix for it that included some disassembly but I couldn't find it after I got mine and wasn't going to wing it (get it?).

vger
10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
No, but I'd purchase it for around $100 if it was retooled.

mtriv73
10-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I've got the first modern and a vintage one which are both collecting dust in the garage. I wouldn't buy another without a serious retool and I don't think it's the type of vehicle Hasbro would bother with redoing.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I've read a lot about this problem and mine does it too. I once ran across a fix for it that included some disassembly but I couldn't find it after I got mine and wasn't going to wing it (get it?).

There is some discussion of it in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33517) (3rd page if you display 20 posts per page). I've never tried it though.

bigbarada
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I would buy this if it was retooled with new landing gear, a better wing raising/lowering mechanism and a non-weathered paint scheme.

Although, even if it was just rereleased and I came across one sitting on the store shelves, I would have a hard time saying no.

So, I guess that puts me in the "yes" category.

DarkJedi5
10-29-2009, 01:44 AM
There is some discussion of it in this thread (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=33517) (3rd page if you display 20 posts per page). I've never tried it though.

Thanks for finding that for me, unfortunately the photos that were posted there are now dead so we don't get the handy picture walk through but I may give it a shot based on the written part.

Veers
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Sure, I would be happy to pick up another one. I have 4 FAO Schwartz exclusives and 2 of the Target exlcusive. Love that ship!!

Devo
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I would buy this if it was retooled with new landing gear, a better wing raising/lowering mechanism and a non-weathered paint scheme.

With the way Hasbro are skimping on painted weathering on vehicles these days I expect you'd get your wish on this one!

DarkJedi5
10-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Sure, I would be happy to pick up another one. I have 4 FAO Schwartz exclusives and 2 of the Target exlcusive. Love that ship!!

How do you display those?! Or are they all in storage?

Tycho
10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Excuse me for interrupting. I have something to say that I suppose might count for a vote, but it really just serves as an excuse for me to say something.

I don't need another Imperial Shuttle myself. I'm not voting for it ***

I have the vintage I use for a cut-scene of the Emperor's Arrival (do not want to set all those troops out, so I cut the scene before the ranks assemble).

And so I can display one with the wings open, I have the blue-box Saga one, which I will crew with the Endor Rebel Strike Team.

*** If its re-release would be good for the line, and keep interest stimulated in the OT, then I wouldn't oppose it either.

DarkArtist
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
hard to say... if they redid the look, made it bigger and have more features (4 seat cockpit, electronics, all new sculpts of SA figures, bigger cargo area (perhaps larger enough to store a speeder bike and maybe up to 10 troops) ) then maybe I would get it again. but if it was just a straight re-release with yet again another old school pack-in figure of Vader then it would be a definate pass

Devo
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I have the vintage I use for a cut-scene of the Emperor's Arrival (do not want to set all those troops out, so I cut the scene before the ranks assemble)

Interesting. However if the shuttle is there shouldn't it be 'post-emperor's arrival scene rather than 'pre'? I would have thought all the troops would already be assembled when the emperor arrived. I reckon you could keep your minimalist approach to the scene though and just have a smaller army dispersed about the hangar bay having tea and sandwiches. Imagine the announcement on the Death Star - "please stay for refreshments after the assembly for the Emperor".

DarkArtist
11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I would rather Hasbro instead of making or re-issuing the Shuttle again either give us the Emperor's Shuttle from ROTS or perhaps an Imperial Landing Craft from ANH SE.

Tycho
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I would rather Hasbro instead of making or re-issuing the Shuttle again either give us the Emperor's Shuttle from ROTS or perhaps an Imperial Landing Craft from ANH SE.

I'm going to poll for the Landing Craft separately when we get back around to ships from A New Hope.

Devo: since everyone was doing Emperor's Arrival scenes with the troops lined up and I'd already spent hundreds buying hundreds of stormtroopers for my other scenes, I opted to be different and make the scene when the Clone Troopers line up before Palpatine at the end of AOTC.

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I also have a vintage one (still with box, it's worth a lot) and the wing issue bugged me too. The other parts of the ship were cool though. I don't think I'd buy a new one, unless it was on discount. I too would rather see the ROTS shuttle.

clone157
11-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Ditto, guys. Got it in a diorama with my ep3 clones, Palps, and a contingent of royal guards. Don't need another. But I would like to see the Theta shuttle instead.

Darth Metalmute
11-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I love this ship, it's one of my favorite ship designs. But I wouldn't buy it again. I don't think I would get it if they did a re-design so the cockpit fit the correct number of figures.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Nope. I am happy with the one I have, and any bigger it'd be stupid large. It's not that I don't want changes to it, it's that I really don't care enough about it to bother putting more money into it.

Tycho
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
The shuttle fails, Admiral. Right now 11 people don't have any interest in another and only 5 people do.

Tycho
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I still haven't heard talk of people wanting this ship out there again.

Darkross
01-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't mind a re-release of the same vehicle (for those who want it and can't find one)...but I myself would not buy another one. I...like many others have paid through the nose for the two I have. I might buy one for my son if they were released again...but a whole new sculpt is NOT needed. The ship itself is my favorite ship of my collection second only to the BMF.

Ji'dai
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't need another one. I still have my loose vintage Shuttle (and the original box) from my childhood that's still in great shape, plus I bought the FAO exclusive re-release several years ago. That one has never been opened.

RENDAR LIVES
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I bought the re-issue out of nostalga for the one I enjoyed as a kid. I was dissapointed to not have the same fun with it as I did then. Too much wing, not enough playroom. So no. Not even an all new mold.