PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Naboo Royal Starship with the Millennium Falcon

Tycho
10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I brought home my Naboo Royal Starship and crewed it from the scene when R2D2 is introduced and saves the Queen while she and the Jedi flee the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo.

Next to the ship is the big Millennium Falcon for comparison. It's a curiousity, so I photographed it and posted it.

JEDIpartner
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I honestly admire the overall engineering and design of that Royal Starship toy. They made it into a real playset and a real space vehicle all at the same time. Yeah... the dimensions are totally off, but I applaud them for packing so much into such a little space.

Tycho
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
That's how I want them to make the Star Destroyer, Blockade Runner, and Jabba's sailbarge. Only they'd have to be a bit larger - but you get the idea.

JEDIpartner
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm hearin' you... I get the concept!! :)

JediTricks
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I honestly admire the overall engineering and design of that Royal Starship toy. They made it into a real playset and a real space vehicle all at the same time. Half of the playset value is cut off in vehicle mode though.

LTBasker
10-29-2009, 05:54 PM
That's how I want them to make the Star Destroyer, Blockade Runner, and Jabba's sailbarge. Only they'd have to be a bit larger - but you get the idea.

Given their bulkiness, the Star Destroyer and Sail Barge I think could be made within the same length as the Royal Starship and Falcon (they look about the same length?). Their designs would leave them with far more internal volume to take advantage of than the Royal Starship, thanks to not being obsessively streamlined. The Star Destroyer would be perfect to make use of the pull out/expanding play area, too.

Tycho
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Personally, I'd love a bigger Star Destroyer.

But yeah, I could see an underscale one being made the size of the Royal Starship, but I'd beg for it to be just a little bigger.

They could do a Republic Assault Cruiser (Rep Star Destroyer) like the NRSS though. Clone Wars appropriate...

A Jedi Starfighter is small enough it could even fit in a slightly larger mold for the nose, like the NRSS launches that yellow escape ship.

This is NOT at all what I'd have in mind for any kind of star destroyer ship though.

I'd rather pay more money and fight my space limitations to make more room for a larger ship any day!

Darth Jax
10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
you shouldn't throw the ball in the house.

i don't have the royal starship, but didn't remember it being that large in toy format

Tycho
10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
you shouldn't throw the ball in the house.

Oh, you can see my pitch-return-net in the picture? haha.

Often I am playing my Nintendo Wii as the San Diego Padres trying to get my team to the World Series. When I get frustrated (read: any time I'm playing anyone but the Washington Nationals or Pittsburgh Pirates) I have a bag of baseballs next to my favorite seat on the couch and I can huck one at the wall but never hit it because of my net.

I actually use the net outdoors of course for pitching and fielding practice, as I can angle it to return flies and grounders. But it comes in handy after dark when the video game isn't going as I'd like it to after the 5th inning.

i don't have the royal starship, but didn't remember it being that large in toy format

I've been putting Miracle Grow on mine. :D

LusiferSam
10-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Hands down I believe that the Royal Starship is one of the absolute best Star Wars vehicles ever done. Simple put Hasbro did an amazing job. My hat is off to them.

You can dream of a giant ISD all you want Tycho, it's not going to happen. The time of giant playset/vehicles was the mid 80's. Hasbro won't being making another Terror Drome, Defiant or USS Flagg size toy anytime soon.

Tycho
10-30-2009, 12:33 AM
You're right LuciferSam: I will

dream
start threads regarding...

giant capital ship / playsets for my action figures (USS Flag-style).

And though I will put my money where my mouth is (and did so with a custom Tantive IV already), I am thankful that I have these forums here with which I can vent about all my ideas.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Honestly, how can anyone justify that "best vehicle" claim on the Royal Starship? It's a single short corridor with a removable hyperdrive, lift-up droid elevator, the cheapest slide out ramp ever, and a throne nobody can use. Above that sits 4 extremely leaned back cockpit seats which normally render the rest of the aforementioned corridor and droidavator unusable. Outside sits a somewhat nifty but silly escape pod, non-movable landing legs, and a goofy infrared blow-off panel gimmick that never stays in place. I'm not trying to say it's the WORST vehicle, but the best??? Over either Falcon, the Gunship, the AT-TE, the B-wing, the Clone Wars Y-wing, the X-wing, the V-wing?

Tycho
10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
While I like the way I set mine up with the figures on board, I have to agree with JediTricks on the Naboo Royal Starship.

My thing is that it's not an exciting "aggressive vehicle." That being said, for dioramas and completist purposes, I WANT a lot of non-exciting, non-agressive vehicles (like Padme's other various ships and the Rebel Medical Frigate, etc.) however the fighters are more fun.

JT mentions good ship choices for fun stuff to play with. I'd like to add Jango Fett's Slave-One to that list for sure though.

JEDIpartner
10-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Half of the playset value is cut off in vehicle mode though.

I really didn't have a problem with that.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
While I like the way I set mine up with the figures on board, I have to agree with JediTricks on the Naboo Royal Starship.

My thing is that it's not an exciting "aggressive vehicle." That being said, for dioramas and completist purposes, I WANT a lot of non-exciting, non-agressive vehicles (like Padme's other various ships and the Rebel Medical Frigate, etc.) however the fighters are more fun.

JT mentions good ship choices for fun stuff to play with. I'd like to add Jango Fett's Slave-One to that list for sure though.If that Slave I was a little bigger and had more going on inside, it'd be on my list of "better than Royal Starship".

I really didn't have a problem with that.Well, seems understandable since we're talking about just a corridor. :p