PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader then and now

vulcantouch-mom
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm watching the original movie and something's occurred to me. Is it my imagination or did Darth Vader's shoulders change in size? :confused: He almost appears shrunken in comparison to the final film. I'll have to watch that one too. Maybe it's just my old eyes.

Watching the Star Wars movies was always a wintertime viewing for Vulcantouch and, as there are 2 feet of snow outside, it seemed appropriate. Of course, The History Channel's "Star Wars, The Legacy Revealed" was just enough to put me into the mood to watch it again. Doesn't really take too much, though, ya know?

Anyway, if I'm not hallucinating, I'd welcome anyone's confirmation.

Ummmm, one more thing. Why do I always think of Ray Milland when I see the unmasked, dying Darth Vader? Anyone else see the resemblance? Hmmmm, maybe this is a sign I'm enjoying just staying home for too long??

Enjoy the day, y'all!

bobafrett
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Good eyes! That does look a lot like the unmasked anakin/Vader in his older years.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Huh, Ray Milland does look like unmasked Anakin, never thought of that before. It's the eyes and nose.

In each and every film where Vader's armor appears differently. In A New Hope (the original Star Wars, Ep 4), the armor has separate flaps for the outside ends of the shoulders, and a robe around the middle of the shoulders/collarbone armor, and is often seen with a cape worn around the shoulders covering all that. In Eps 5 and 6 (Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi), the shoulders lose the robe around the armor (it goes underneath) but keeps the outside flaps. In ROTJ, there is a little more of the cape around the shoulders than in ESB. In all 3 of those films, the Vader armor is worn by David Prowse and some stand-ins and stunt men. Prowse is 6' 5" and a former bodybuilder.

The next time we see Vader on screen is the last, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith. There the armor has been changed considerably, the shoulder/collar armor is all 1 piece including the ends, making the shoulders look bigger. The actor underneath is Hayden Christensen who is 6' 2" tall and has a slight build, which takes the single-piece shoulder armor here out of scale.

Sadly, that's all stuck in my memory. :p

How are you doing?

vulcantouch-mom
10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
You WERE paying attention there! I'm IMPRESSED!:thumbsup: I hadn't noticed the specifics in the other episodes, only noticed, last night, that Darth Vader didn't appear so ominously gigantic, initially, shoulder-wise. I'm going to watch Jéan's VHS copies today--haven't watched them all for some time. You've given me an opportunity to appreciate Vader's changes. Both the boys always picked up on details in films and it's something I've always appreciated about them.

I'm doing okay, for now. Won't know if I'll be able to keep the house for some time. I was 61 2 weeks after Mom died and have a year to do something, sooooooo nothing is certain. Dealing w/her debts is a new adventure. My one consolation there has been that her wee insurance policy enabled me to bring household (energy, etc.) bills up to date, although the expected refund from the mortuary is to be a small fraction of what was originally cited, so her footstone will be a thing of the future.

On the GOOD side, we've got oodles & bunches of snow outside that has finally stopped, so my grandsons are going back to school this morning in time for their school Halloween parties and tomorrow should be decent for trick-or-treating.

Enjoy the day, JT, and may there be no rocks in your treat bag. ;)

vulcantouch-mom
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
:ermm:My apologies, Bobafrett. I began to get the blinky, continuous, non-responsive IE windows popping up last night and neglected to make sure to reply.

I learned, last night, after doing the IMDB on Sebastian Shaw, that he'd passed away a year before my own Father. Interesting how he and Ian McDiarmid knew each other and happened to meet on set.

Well, my friend, Mom's dog is looking at me with those big, dark eyes - she must want to go play in the snow again. Just kidding. She's so short (Pomeranian), I've had to keep shovelling the snow outside the back door so she doesn't drop into it and have to tunnel her way through to pee. :laugh: She's not what you call a leggy dog. :D Enjoy the day!

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
You WERE paying attention there! I'm IMPRESSED!:thumbsup: I hadn't noticed the specifics in the other episodes, only noticed, last night, that Darth Vader didn't appear so ominously gigantic, initially, shoulder-wise. I'm going to watch Jéan's VHS copies today--haven't watched them all for some time. You've given me an opportunity to appreciate Vader's changes. Both the boys always picked up on details in films and it's something I've always appreciated about them.Yeah, Jean and I often would go on about little specific tech stuff, each with our own perspectives. He actually started a little collection of the 3.75" figures' accessories, weapons and helmets, anything that tickled his fancy. I'm glad you're enjoying the movies.

You know what's really bad? I can describe differences in helmet heights during specific scenes in the films. It's really bad in A New Hope where the beginning of the film it's around Vader's mask's brow and gets higher in some scenes like the Obi-Wan duel. And I'm not even remotely the most obsessive about such things. :p

I'm doing okay, for now. Won't know if I'll be able to keep the house for some time. I was 61 2 weeks after Mom died and have a year to do something, sooooooo nothing is certain. Dealing w/her debts is a new adventure. My one consolation there has been that her wee insurance policy enabled me to bring household (energy, etc.) bills up to date, although the expected refund from the mortuary is to be a small fraction of what was originally cited, so her footstone will be a thing of the future.

On the GOOD side, we've got oodles & bunches of snow outside that has finally stopped, so my grandsons are going back to school this morning in time for their school Halloween parties and tomorrow should be decent for trick-or-treating.

Enjoy the day, JT, and may there be no rocks in your treat bag. ;)Well, at least you're hanging in there and enjoying the day. Hope you get a lot of fun kids trick-or-treating. :)

vulcantouch-mom
10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm going to have to watch "A New Hope" again tonite. I'll be watching......thanks for the tip!

Da boyz will be here while Ken gets some stuff done around the house. He'll be taking them out tomorrow nite. The sun's shining and the walks are drying nicely in-between our now foot-high snow-lawns. :yes:

I'm looking forward to the trick-or-treaters tomorrow nite, but will have to put Mia in back where she won't bark and scare them all.

Boo!