PDA

View Full Version : New Deluxe

jonthejedi
11-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Freeco speeder & Dooku's speeder found at Glen Burnie Target outside Baltimore last night.

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Rats, I found the Dooku speeder set and didn't realize I missed the Freeco.

They repainted the crap out of Dooku's speeder, but that won't save it from being a hollow piece of junk.

DarkArtist
11-01-2009, 07:36 PM
no signs of these yet, Star Wars has been dry in Jersey.. wondering if stores are holding off for a giant Holiday rush ?

jonthejedi
11-02-2009, 04:46 AM
That's what I'm thinking...Black Friday. I think we're going to see 3 waves of Legacy piled one on top of the other.

Snowtrooper
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I got the Freeco speeder from HTS a little while back. Its a nice little ship and put together well. The landing gear stays up well, the windshield slide forwards and back with no problem, although it can be a little tough opening, and Obi-Wan fits into it nicely. Mine came with the windshield partially frosted, which was also a nice little detail. I recommend it. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
It never even occurred to me to look for it on HTS. I've had several orders lately, would gladly have put it in one of them.

Is the Obi-Wan figure exactly the same as the first basic fig?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
From the looks of it (http://galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=6274&text=&imageid=36171&box=&shownew=), he has the same upper body, but new legs with articulated knees and ankles, in addition to soft goods.

I haven't seen either of these yet but I'm looking forward to them.

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Hmm, ok, thanks for the info. A clean-paint version too. Didn't all the heroes wear cold weather gear in that ep though? Yeah, here ya go:
http://www.starwars.com/img/theclonewars/guide/episode015/img09.jpg

You know, comparing the show design to the toy, the toy comes off a tad chibi I think. I doubt they'll redo it, but IMO they should.

Snowtrooper
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Like JJL said, Obi-Wan has new legs and soft goods so he can be seated in the speeder. I think HTS has been sold out of them for awhile now, but I haven't been keeping close track since I bought mine. Its definitely the best deluxe vehicle they sold in the CW line, thus far.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Hmm, ok, thanks for the info. A clean-paint version too. Didn't all the heroes wear cold weather gear in that ep though? Yeah, here ya go:
http://www.starwars.com/img/theclonewars/guide/episode015/img09.jpg

You know, comparing the show design to the toy, the toy comes off a tad chibi I think. I doubt they'll redo it, but IMO they should.
They're making Anakin (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/popup.php?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=398&p17_imageid=2621) in his Orto Plutonia gear next year, and I have to assume Obi-Wan's not far behind. Based on that picture, though, I wonder if they'll be able to sit in these bikes; if not, that will be quite disappointing.

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
They're making Anakin (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/plugins/p17_image_gallery/popup.php?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=398&p17_imageid=2621) in his Orto Plutonia gear next year, and I have to assume Obi-Wan's not far behind. Based on that picture, though, I wonder if they'll be able to sit in these bikes; if not, that will be quite disappointing.
Good point, there's a lot of plastic kama skirt that very well might get in the way. How frustrating.

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Picked up the Freeco Bike at Target this evening. It is indeed quite chibi, about 2/3rds scale I'd guess, but it could get away with it if not for the dome, which is purely the wrong shape. Without the dome, the vehicle actually looks better, but then it's not a Freeco. They should have enlarged the front half of the dome to get the proper curve, it looks silly the way it is.

I'm really bummed that the sleekness of the original is lost here due to the scale change, but it's worse that there's no lower opening to the canopy the way the original had: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Freecobike.jpg

The figure is crammed up in there and has to use the rotating knee hinge in both rotation and inward hinging to get the legs in there, the cockpit is not a great fit. The controls also are too far away if you want Obi-Wan to sit in the seat, he can either do that OR sit forward a quarter inch and hold the controls, not both. Fitting other figures in there that don't have knee articulation might be a challenge.

There's a cheapness to the plastic used, it feels like something less than a Star Wars toy, lighter and not as crisp, perhaps a little brittle. The canopy material is also a little lighter than I'd like, but it flexes more. The main plastic doesn't seem to take to sculpting too well, or maybe it's the mold itself, but the lines aren't as crisp as they could be, details aren't as fine as other SW vehicles. Part of that definitely is the sculpt though, the front half details are overly simplified.

The color is an unappealing tan that doesn't fit the look of the episode, and there's minimal paint, nothing very challenging. The front half of the canopy is frosted over, it's not as obvious as it could be so it's not too bad, but since the rest of the bike is so clean, it doesn't really fit that well.

The main gimmicks are the sliding canopy and the movable landing gear, both of which are gimmicks that are right up my alley. The canopy is difficult to get open as it has strong friction bumps holding it closed, but it slides open enough to get a figure in or out, though temporarily removing the canopy entirely makes that process much easier. The rear landing legs merely rotate down and are very narrow together, I think if they had splayed out they'd have been jim dandy, but without that they aren't all they could be, they seem a little lesser than. The forward landing leg drops down and has a pivot at the foot to angle it, it doesn't quite fully retract, leaving the foot diagonally between the midsection and the nose, but it's not a big drawback visually.

The figure is indeed the upper half of regular Obi-Wan with no weathering paint and the lower half has new soft goods and knee & ankle articulation. IMO, the lower body seems slightly narrower than it should, but it's small enough to be subjective. They left the peg hole in his back despite no backpack. His saber has odd paint and is very dark blue.

All in all, this set is slightly less than I expected, it's ok but not great, has some whooshability but in terms of detail it falls short.

DarkArtist
11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
picked up the Freeco Speeder last night in Walmart and passed on the Dooku Speeder as i have the original AOTC version and not really big on getting another... haven't opened it yet though but it looks cool:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
^ Sounds like a Japanese commercial.

I saw the Freeco Speeder again yesterday. Both Obi-Wan and the speeder had good paint jobs and now I regret not getting it. Maybe next time. If Obi-Wan was in cold weather gear I probably would've got it the first time I saw this set.