PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to stock a personal bar

Tycho
11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Yesterday I had a new girl over for drinks (I haven't had but one drink that I made Sunday night since my kidney transplant (and also 1 beer I think) - as I plan to almost always avoid risking anything going wrong - though my doctors said I could drink moderately if I wanted to).

Anyway, I made her orgasms ;)

Dang that Kahlua's good stuff! I bought the requisite Bailey's Irish Cream, and also some Coconut Malibu Rum. (You're supposed to use Amaretto, but I decided I'd get some another time. I like rum, having served with Captain Morgan back in the day...)

Anyway, adding a splash of Half-and-Half, and only 3 ice cubes per drink (because I'm a cool kind of guy), I made some good stuff.

I didn't have any vodka to make mudslides, but I'll get some later.

But it's fun playing bartender at home as opposed to working a party where you're under pressure and your pay is dependent upon your performance.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
My dad used to make Kahlua. People would look forward to having that at our family Christmas gathering.

I don't drink much myself. Never really cared for beer, but I like the wine coolers and Mike's Hard Lemonade type drinks. The only hard liquor I've really drank much of is whiskey, usually with 7UP, but I like to mix it with cran-raspberry juice. Earlier this year while on a business trip, my boss insisted on buying me a drink, so I asked for whiskey and 7UP, but the guy misheard and gave me a whiskey sour. It was pretty good though.

My uncle used to live in a split level house, and the lower was a nice big game room with a pool table, dart board and poker table, and there was a bar down there too. Room enough for several barstools. There was also a clock on the wall that was backwards, perhaps to make you think you were drunker than you really were.

I recall seeing a book on mixing drinks that had one called a "Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall Mexican Style."

Tycho
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Earlier this year while on a business drip,

LOL - right while we're talking about mixing drinks!!! Too funny.

I recall seeing a book on mixing drinks that had one called a "Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall Mexican Style."

Slow = Sloe Gin
Comfortable = Southern Comfort
Screw = orange juice
Wall = add Galliano

"Mexican Style" = ? You might add lime juice or sweet and sour. I don't think Tequilla would go good with this, nor would I put in Kahlua with this drink. It would just taste WRONG.

(like adding coffee or chocolate to fruit juice)

You can take the above recipe for a Slow Comfortable Screw Against the Wall and add Amaretto. That would make it an Alabama Slammer, otherwise known as a Slow UNcomfortable Screw With Nuts (like the kind you get in the slammer!)

El Chuxter
11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
My dad used to make Kahlua.

Do you mean he made something with Kahlua, or actually made Kahlua? That would be quite impressive. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
He made kahlua. Not sure of the exact recipe, but he used coffee, sugar, vanilla and vodka. He used to use Everclear I think, but later used the vodka.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 08:29 PM
It's called the Blue Label. Don't need anything else...well except maybe a nice chair to drink it in.

Tycho
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
There isn't supposed to be vodka in Kahlua. It's sugar-based RUM made from malted cherries, caramel, chocolate, and coffee. Vodka is made from potatoes. Kind of a difference, ya know?

The alcohol brand websites tell you what's in the drinks and they are a lot of fun, too.

On BaileysIrishCream.com you can meet real cows who's milk goes into Baileys, combined with their whiskey. Dude: there is nothing like being drunk and meeting cows - except you need a larger paper bag for these cows...

Next, on Malibu-Rum.com you can go fishing for coconuts! In fact, going nuts for their rum here is a lot of fun. Malibu makes a lot of different flavors, but the website says the coconut is as original as using a fake Caribbean accent after Miami Vice's original TV series run.

Finally, since we're talking about Kahlua, their website, a bit more formal, is very rich and makes you really want to drink. Mmmm - good stuff.

It might go well with the World Series on tonight.

So you can read the website during commercials and totally get $#&)(&#! hammered and post all kinds of $#@)*&&!@ stuff while you're talking $#)@* out of your $#)*&@#$!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-02-2009, 09:30 PM
This site (http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,homemade_kahlua,FF.html) has several recipes for homemade Kahlua, many of which seem to have vodka in them. Kahl˙a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahl˙a) is just a brand name, so the homemade stuff is just something similar. I've never had real Kahl˙a, and I never had much of my dad's kahlua, so I wouldn't know the difference.

My mom once made some blueberry and raspberry liqueurs. I only had a small sip of one of them. It was very, very sweet. Never got a chance to try it in something.

Slicker
11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
My personal favorite is Hennessey and Sprite.

mtriv73
11-03-2009, 09:50 AM
A roommate of mine in college used to make drinks with Midori, vodka and sprite. He called it an Alien secretion. I liked them until one night when I liked them too much and found out they didn't like me, now I don't like them any more either.

bobafrett
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I've gotten drunk bvefore on many sweet tasting hard liquor drinks, but since donating my kidney, I've only had an occasional beer. Besides, I am trying to be an example to my son, who wants me to order up an appletini (sp?) the kind that the character from "Scrubs" drinks, just because he wants to try it. I remember my younger more curious to try hard alcohol days.

Ando
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I had a Malibu Coconut rum last night with some Dr. Pepper. This is currently my drink of choice.