PDA

View Full Version : Why I think Hasbro is better than lego

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
For me I like the realistic look of Hasbro's stuff. You can instantly tell it's from Star Wars. The figures are pretty accurate, especially clone troopers and stormtroopers. The alien species really look good too. You cannot say this for lego figures which look short and child like. Same goes for the ships, the lego ships are not as elegant and the little bumps make them unrealistic and blocky. Sure you can build things with them and customize, but the look just isn't as attractive. Not to mention legos fall apart at the drop of a hat.
I'm not even going into price here. It's clearly a win for Hasbro.

LusiferSam
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Thems fightin' words here mister. Shall we say pistols at dawn? Who ever build the best looking pistol wins.

Personally I think your argument is childless and petty at best. If you don't like Lego don't post in this section.

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 05:07 PM
You got nothing, I let the Hasbro toys speak for themselves. I became drawn to star wars toys (Kenner) when I was little. The vintage toys and playsets especially were magical, though the newer stuff is more movie accurate. How would you make dagobah or hoth with legos? The only knock on Hasbro is that some toys are cheaply built, and rushed to get them released but when they want to make a quality toy the results are amazing - look at the big m. falcon, republic gunship, new x wings and tie fighters.

I remember cool pirate ship and knights/castle lego sets years ago. They are fun until you start playing with them and things become disassembled. You lose a few pieces and it's not the same. After playing with legos for a while they get loose and won't fit together. I think it's funny when you try to actually play with a ship or something and it falls apart. How careful do you have to be just to pick up a lego ship? I don't think legos are worthless, they're just inferior. Come on there is no comparison.

Darth Jax
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
my Legos seem to have fewer design flaws than many of the recent Hasbro vehicles (and I haven't run into problems with the Legos falling apart despite repeated episodes of play). i've yet to find a battle droid that can't stand more than a few days with Lego, versus Hasbro were they wilt like last year's prom corsage.

Ando
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
My argument for LEGO over Hasbro (and I collect both, so no disrespect to Hasbro here) is this:

- New sets on a more regular basis.

- BIGGER sets because of common and shared pieces (The LEGO Death Star and Dropship+AT-OT sets are perfect examples of this).

- Consistency. Figures all fit different vehicles. Figures have the same specs and there's no "sculpting issues".

- LEGO sets are fun to build and customize and improve on.

- LEGO sets get RETIRED and not trotted back out in new packaging. If they do put out a Star Wars set that's previously been done before, they change it (at the very least) or improve it (like the newer AT-TE which is compatible with the Dropship.

I believe there is a new Turbo Tank set and a new ARC-170 set coming in 2010.

I like Hasbro's stuff, but it's apples and oranges compared to LEGO. Hasbro has to tool up for EVERY NEW TOY. LEGO just adds a few new elements here and there. And cost wise, LEGO's are about $0.08 - $0.12 per brick/piece when you break them down.

PLUS, LEGO stores have a rewards program where you get a stamp for every $25 you spend and there are 16 spots for a stamp on the little card they give you. And you get a $10 gift card for the first $200.00 you spend and a $20 gift card for the second $200.00.

My wife and I bought the Death Star set over the summer as a joint anniversary gift and it was automatically $369.99 because the purchase filled up one card in one purchase so it breaks down to $0.0973 per brick for that set.

And in my experience, the employees will be cool and round up to the next dollar or two if you're close to getting a stamp. i.e. a $40-$45 purchase gets you two stamps, and not one stamp and a upsell or a "bummer, sorry".

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 08:47 PM
battle droids do fall over, I wish they'd make sturdier legs. But there are stands you can get that work well. I use the clear round ones. I must point out that the Ep. 1 battle droids stand up fine. For some reason the Ep. 2 droids had weaker legs.

The varying figure size issues for cockpits also bugs me, I think they are improving in that area though. 99% of the time it's not much of a problem.

by the way I've seen the lego death star, the one that looks like several cubicles of an office, with an elevator in the center. It's too undersized and goofy looking, I'd rather have a full size and accurate playset of just one area (the prison cell block/trash compactor for example).

LusiferSam
11-03-2009, 01:01 AM
You got nothing

Awe, I've made no argument against your point of view other than to say that I disagree in a humus manor. What amuses me the most is that you actually believe you're going to convince people of your point of view. It's like computers. You're never going to convince a microsoft monkey to join the Cult of the Mac, just as you're not going to convince a cultist to grow their hair back and put on a business suit. If you're not seeing red yet, bang your head against the wall a little longer and a litter harder.

I think Ando's point is closet to mine. I have collected both (currently just Lego though) and like both for two totally different reasons. Those reasons are mine and mine alone. I could careless if people agree or disagree with me.

They are fun until you start playing with them and things become disassembled. You lose a few pieces and it's not the same. After playing with legos for a while they get loose and won't fit together.

I can't say I've ever really lost a lot of Lego elements as a kid. Over all I lost more action figure accessories than legos. Legos have to be played a ton before the really get too loose to fit together. My guess is that a kid you were really hard on your toys. I also know a kid who doesn't have much of an imagination when I see one. (Monkey, monkey! I see a monkey.)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-03-2009, 02:29 AM
I only have one Lego set, some special edition X-Wing. Perhaps I didn't put it together right, because the wings on one side don't stay as open as the set on the other side.

I might have bought more Lego sets, but the ones I would have bought are so expensive, and I'm already spending a lot on all the action figures and such.

I've never had much issue with Legos becoming loose. We had a bunch when I was a kid and played with them for years, and my nieces and nephews played with them too.

I guess what makes one better than the other is what you get out of it. For me, I collect the figures because I like getting all the characters in somewhat realistic form. I'm not as much of a completist on vehicles because of the size. This is becoming more of an issue lately as I run low on space, and there are fewer vehicles that excite me. That's why the Titaniums are nice to have. They were able to put out a lot of vehicles that they wouldn't do in the larger scale, and you can use less room to display them all.

Legos have their appeal as well. I spent a good portion of New Year's Day that year putting together the X-Wing. It was a fun challenge to put it all together. If I decide I don't want to display it, I can take it apart and put the pieces in a box. They are also versatile in that you can build other things with the pieces as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Can't we all just get along?

No?

Well, good, 'cause you suck. :p

I used to buy both Hasbro and Lego products. Around 2002, I quit getting Lego (I only have one AOTC set and a few of those mini-ships) since it was getting really expensive and I started to use my own money as opposed to having my parents buy everything for me (I mean, I got allowance and such, and it's not like it was a free-for-all before that, but still). The Lego sets are fun and can bring more variety than it seems Hasbro sometimes can, due to the aforementioned factors, but as I've always been a Hasbro completist then dropping Lego was not that big of a deal. There's just so much stuff out there - Hasbro, Lego, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya, etc. - that there's room for everyone to have their own niche, and there's really no reason to insult any of them or the people that buy their products.

El Chuxter
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
No, JabbaJohnL, you suck.

LusiferSam
11-03-2009, 12:29 PM
there's really no reason to insult any of them or the people that buy their products.

Sure there is. Like that LusiferSam guy is a total tool and scruffy nerf herder. We should ban his scruffy hind. Oh wait, that's me! See what all this fighting has done to us, we've turned on ourselves. If we keep going down this road soon there will be no one to buy any SW produces and Trekkies will take over the world. Could there be worst fate?

IG 8D8
11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
soon there will be no one to buy any SW produces and Trekkies will take over the world. Could there be worst fate?

ok I think we agree there. Talk about inferior (Star Trek) alright I thought the movies were good but it stops there.

Actually I used a lot of imagination when playing... I had a huge box of large wooden blocks that my grandpa made. They could be used to make any fortress or base you could think of, not to mention any kind of set such as towns for hotwheels, bridges and buildings for army guys, etc. Star Wars figures worked well with those blocks, we would make Jabba's palace all the time.

bigbarada
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
For me I like the realistic look of Hasbro's stuff. You can instantly tell it's from Star Wars. The figures are pretty accurate, especially clone troopers and stormtroopers. The alien species really look good too. You cannot say this for lego figures which look short and child like. Same goes for the ships, the lego ships are not as elegant and the little bumps make them unrealistic and blocky. Sure you can build things with them and customize, but the look just isn't as attractive. Not to mention legos fall apart at the drop of a hat.
I'm not even going into price here. It's clearly a win for Hasbro.

I don't think anyone was claiming that Lego was superior. But the lines just have two completely different styles, so it's apples and oranges. Obviously if accuracy and realism is important, then you are going to like the Hasbro stuff. But Lego offers a completely different experience and requires a little bit of work to put the toys together, which in many ways makes it a more satisfying hobby.

Anyways, I'm not a big Lego collector either which is why I almost never post in this section.:p I like them, I just don't buy them. So, it's not like the SW Transformers which I absolutely hate and will only post in that section to dance on the grave of the toy line when we get word of it's cancellation. :D

2-1B
11-09-2009, 07:10 PM
There's just so much stuff out there - Hasbro, Lego, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya, etc. - that there's room for everyone to have their own niche, and there's really no reason to insult any of them or the people that buy their products.

Even the people who buy pogs ? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Even the people who buy pogs ? :confused:
No, of course not them. **** them.

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Please do not.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I want Hasbro to release the App-Les Or'anges cantina figure, with Lego making a fruit stand set. We're comparing things that aren't all that easy to compare. That said, Lego is being consistent with its own line, which I believe is several years older than SW collectibles (maybe even before the first film itself). Hasbro has gone a different route than Kenner had done (sometimes for the better, other times for the worse) in the '70s and '80s.

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Please do not.

Why, the deserve it to happen once in their life. :tired: And you can be drunk too

It is really a choice of what do you like/want. If you're going for realism of the characters, go to Hasbro. If you want vehicles and playsets still, go to Lego. Not only with the Star Wars sets, but you can use the basic bricks (if you have enough of the specialized parts) to build second or possibly third models of the same ship and fix the colors later, you can build different settings etc. Legos only limits are space, parts, and imagniation. Plus due to scale since Legos are only 1" tall, you have more fexibility to go after the gigantic vehicles that never will be practical from Hasbro.

So what if you lose peices? It says either you're irresponsible to begin with or that accidents do happen. There are basic sets you can always import/canibalize from into your "themed" set. I lost several pieces of the King's Castle as a kid. Know what I did? Modified the plans and committed to memory those modifications, so that when it has been disasembled as a teen, 20something, and now 30something, I can still assemble the same shape, with a sturdier central tower with bricks that seem to add a mortar line, something the original set lacked! That's just one set. As I got older, more sets, fewer lost parts. Most I took the time to modify to add a new dimension or flare to a set so they have even more parts. If you want to customize or add to your Hasbro figures, you have to a lot more dedication and practice. Speaking as a customizer, faiulre is an outcome that is always possible if not likley with one subtle slip, and you've ruined a figure or part of a figure. Failure in Lego means, taking it all apart and figuring out what you missed last time, but you still have an intact set.

I almost think that if I was to do the past 10 years over again with respect to collecting, I'd go Lego sometimes instead of primarily figures. It has to do with I like ships, scenes, the feel of making something with my hands. That feeling lasts a lot longer than just sniffing the figures (careful not to inhale the Jawas, Tycho), and putting them into their scene or shelf space.

I found the Lego Minis to be great for the RPG (and in someways better than the Starship Battles and Titaniums) because they were relatively in scale to each other (and you can smash it to show the others, vehicle destroyed). The only other set I own is the Geonosis fighter. And the inclusion of the Geonosis artillery cannon is something that Hasbro hasn't touched yet.

2-1B
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
No, of course not them. **** them.

Please do not.

Watch yer mout's, don't make me hit bot' o' youse wit my Slammer. :thumbsup:

LusiferSam
11-12-2009, 12:09 AM
That said, Lego is being consistent with its own line, which I believe is several years older than SW collectibles (maybe even before the first film itself).

Oh just a little. Quick history of Lego

Founded: 1934
Automatic Binding Bricks: 1949
LEGO System started: 1955
First true LEGO Bricks: 1958
LEGO Mini figure: 1978
LEGO Star Wars sets: 1999
Today: 2009

Mad Slanted Powers
12-25-2009, 02:24 AM
Recently the local paper printed letters from kids to Santa. Quite a few had Star Wars items, but mostly they wanted Lego and Clone Wars stuff.

Blue2th
12-25-2009, 04:02 PM
When I was a kid we didn't HAVE no Legos! We built Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys and Erector Sets, and found ways to destroy them in our little role playing wars. We built robots and forts. Huge robots with swinging arms, spikes and rolling feet out of Tinkertoys.

Now I like my toys already built and ready to play with (well display anyways) but a young mind needs things to build in developing their brains (some adults too :Ponder: )

So saying Hasbro is better than Lego is comparing apples to oranges. I tend to like Hasbro myself though. I think it's easier to build a droid is the extent of my building these days.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes, Legos, Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys were fun as a kid, though I was never too creative with it. One year when I was getting a little bit older I got a new Lego set (all the other ones we had were from before I was born I think) of a fire station. That came with instructions to put it together. That's something I can handle. The only Lego set I have now is that collector's edition X-Wing, and I spent all day New Year's Day that year putting it together.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
When I was a kid we didn't HAVE no (Star Wars) Legos! We built ... and found ways to destroy them in our little role playing wars. We built robots and forts. ...

Now I (don't) like my toys already built and ready to play with (well display anyways) but a young mind needs things to build in developing their brains (some adults too :Ponder: )
I always dreamed of SW Lego sets when I was a lad, but without them, my friends and I made our own (even some "Expanded Universe" ones, before such a concept was around).

gba88
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
One of my earliest memories was making a "wampa" out of classic space lego figures. My cousin and I would stack a torso to make a 4 armed alien and then flip the smiley face around so you only saw yellow (looked like a visor/shield).

I don't think I even *thought* about wanting star wars based lego sets when I was young. In my mind, they were separate universes I guess. -with a borrowed name thrown in here or there while playing :)

Nowadays, I buy what I like. I have a bunch of individual star wars minifigs that I bought off of bricklink, and some random sets too.

I think the only time an argument would develop is if I HAD to choose one or the other.