PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do with all those pilot figures?

JediTricks
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
In the past 5 years, we've gone from having a very small number of Rebel pilot figures to a glut of them. At this point, I am fully burned out on Rebel pilots, especially considering how many share bodies. Here's a breakdown:

POTF2 Luke X-wing (really it's snowspeeder)
POTF2 Biggs
POTF2 carrying case Wedge (snowspeeder)
POTF2 Cinema Scene Arvel Crynyd (not actually the right name)
POTF2 Cinema Scene Wedge
POTF2 Cinema Scene Ten Numb
POTF2 A-wing - A-wing Pilot
POTF2 Y-wing - Y-wing Pilot
POTJ Snowspeeder - Dack Ralter
POTJ Porkins
POTJ ANH Luke Pilot
Saga Dutch Vander
Saga X-wing - Red Leader
Saga green A-wing - A-wing Pilot
Saga Celebration II Jorg Sacul
VTSC Luke Pilot
TSC Rogue 2 Snowspeeder - Zev
TAC Biggs
TAC Tycho Celchu
TAC Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack - Luke Snowspeeder
TAC Y-wing - Lt. Lepira
TAC Comic Pack Hobbie
TLC Wedge X-wing - Wedge
TLC A-wing - Green Leader
TLC B-wing - Lt Pollard
TLC SDCC Luke X-wing
TLC Comic Pack Ibtisam
TLC Comic Pack Nrin Vakil
TLC Scramble on Yavin battle pack - Red Leader
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Dorovio Bold
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Wes Janson Snowspeeder pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Ten Numb
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Doc
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Kesin Ommis Snowspeeder pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Lucky B-wing pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - John Branon
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - Shia Brie
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - Jake Farrell A-wing pilot
TLC Nien Nunb B-wing Pilot

So there you have 39 Rebel pilot figures, 2/3rds of them delivered in the last 5 years, and of those 39 figures there are 30 unique characters. (I have to leave or I'd break them down by exclusives, movies, vehicles, etc..) Do you stuff them in extra vehicles, stand them around briefings, have them laid out by movie/source? What do you do with all those Rebel pilot figures?

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The uniques are the uniques. The duplicates become customs. I have bought I try to make other squadrons such as Wraiths, Salm's Defender, Pash Cracken's group etc. I have them organized as Rogues, Deceased Rogues (in the Medical bay set up I used to have) etc. Things like the earlier PotF2 Luke/Wedge are used for much bigger pilots like Kell Tainer. The PotJ Luke and the new females are used for the females. Swapping the Vander based legs with the VOTC based Luke legs gives you some height varriants with modifications.

El Chuxter
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
You forgot one Ten Nunb. Seriously. He came with the Target exclusive POTJ B-Wing, and I don't see him on your list. See why I'm sick of Sullustans? Since 2000, three of the same character who's not even onscreen, and one who's the same guy in a different colored suit that's seen for a split second. And no Cliegg Lars or passable Evazan.

2-1B
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
No Teek, either.

He's not onscreen much either, but at least it's due to his impressive speed.

DarkJedi5
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
POTJ Porkins
Saga Dutch Vander
VTSC Luke Pilot
TSC Rogue 2 Snowspeeder - Zev
TAC Tycho Celchu
TAC Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack - Luke Snowspeeder
TAC Y-wing - Lt. Lepira
TAC Comic Pack Hobbie
TLC Wedge X-wing - Wedge
TLC A-wing - Green Leader
TLC B-wing - Lt Pollard
TLC SDCC Luke X-wing
TLC Comic Pack Ibtisam
TLC Comic Pack Nrin Vakil
TLC Scramble on Yavin battle pack - Red Leader
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Dorovio Bold
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Wes Janson Snowspeeder pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 1 - Ten Numb
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Doc
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Kesin Ommis Snowspeeder pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 2 - Lucky B-wing pilot
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - John Branon
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - Shia Brie
TLC Rebel Pilot Evolutions 3 - Jake Farrell A-wing pilot
TLC Nien Nunb B-wing Pilot
TLC Corran Horn

The figs above are the ones that have not been "retired" from my collection. Basically once a figure is surpassed by a better version I take it out of circulation. I've already replaced TAC Pilot Biggs with a head swap (took the head off of the other TAC Biggs figure and put it on the body of the SDCC Luke and voila SA Biggs pilot using the helmet from the aforementioned TAC Pilot Biggs). I use them for briefing room dios mostly. I used to do photos of the pilots in an X-Wing (close up on the cockpit like in the movies and you'd never know they were all flying Red 5) with their droid behind them for fan-fiction kind of comic books I used to make for my brother. Really, as a fan of the Rogue Squadron books as a kid I have just always wanted all the pilots I could get my hands on.

Devo
11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't mind all these pilots. If you're a diorama builder there are plenty of uses for them in hangar bays and briefing rooms which even require doubling or trebling up if you have these dioramas going simultaneously. The more unique characters the better as long as they use the correct heights which is unfortunately not always the case.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Since I set up in dioramas, every figure has its place. If they came with a ship, then they're piloting the ship. The ANH ones are in a Yavin briefing room scene with their droids, the ESB ones are fighting in the Hoth trenches since there are neither enough Hoth Rebel Troopers nor enough snowspeeders, and the ROTJ ones are in a Sullust briefing room scene with their fellow Rebels. The extra pilot Lukes are talking to Han, or Garven Dreis and the second Biggs, or climbing down the SDCC ladder, or worrying about R2-D2's injuries. The EU stuff is all pretty disorganized right now so they're not doing much of anything.

We have indeed gotten a ton of pilots these past few years, but I really like these characters and figures, so I'm all for more.

Old Fossil
11-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a small Rebel briefing scene with 19 of the above pilots (from all 3 OT films and the EU) on display with a couple astromechs, Admiral Ackbar, and General Madine.

I love the pilots and am looking forward to acquiring the new Nien Nunb (and next year's Snowspeeder Luke), but I won't be bummed if we're done with the Pilot figures for a good long while.

dindae
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah I don't have a problem with too many pilots. I have a lot in various ships then there is ANH breifing room, ROTJ briefing room, ANH award cerimony (my dumping ground for outdated scuplts since you only see from behind), and OT hangers. So I don't think i'm in any danger of pilot overkill.

TheDarthVader
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Pilot figures are my favorite to collect next to droids and jabba palace/cantina aliens. I just display my pilots together. All of the ones I collect are strictly otc though.

JediTricks
11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
The uniques are the uniques. The duplicates become customs. I have bought I try to make other squadrons such as Wraiths, Salm's Defender, Pash Cracken's group etc. I have them organized as Rogues, Deceased Rogues (in the Medical bay set up I used to have) etc. Things like the earlier PotF2 Luke/Wedge are used for much bigger pilots like Kell Tainer. The PotJ Luke and the new females are used for the females. Swapping the Vander based legs with the VOTC based Luke legs gives you some height varriants with modifications.Do you actually organize those figures into displays, or are they organized in boxes? I'm curious to learn how many of these figures get used.

You forgot one Ten Nunb. Seriously. He came with the Target exclusive POTJ B-Wing, and I don't see him on your list. See why I'm sick of Sullustans? Since 2000, three of the same character who's not even onscreen, and one who's the same guy in a different colored suit that's seen for a split second. And no Cliegg Lars or passable Evazan.I didn't forget that Ten Numb, I didn't include any figure that was a straight re-release with no significant paint or sculpt changes. There's a POTJ Luke or 2 missing from that list as well. I agree that we've seen too many B-wing pilot Sullustans, though I did just buy Nien Nunb B-wing since we didn't have the actual movie version of the red pilot in all that time. Nien Nunb needs to be done as the Falcon version though, that is a must. I would take that figure over Cliegg "Didn't do anything in the movie but talk and float" Lars.

I don't mind all these pilots. If you're a diorama builder there are plenty of uses for them in hangar bays and briefing rooms which even require doubling or trebling up if you have these dioramas going simultaneously. The more unique characters the better as long as they use the correct heights which is unfortunately not always the case.Do you actually make those dioramas though?

I love the pilots and am looking forward to acquiring the new Nien Nunb (and next year's Snowspeeder Luke), but I won't be bummed if we're done with the Pilot figures for a good long while.That's basically my feeling on the matter, I like the idea of them but I don't buy many of the latest ones anymore, so I'm not looking forward to more of them. I'm wondering if there IS a market for them after this year, and it looks like there is, but this is a small sampling so it's hard to tell just how strong a need.

Devo
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Do you actually make those dioramas though?

Well I don't DIY build environments if thats what you mean, I don't have the skills. I only use what Hasbro gives us and whatever compatible bits I might find elsewhere. I do have a makeshift Home One briefing room environment using styrofoam packaging from various household appliances, a car hubcap, the endor planet from the POTF2 Complete Galaxy set and the mini Death Star hologram from the POTJ Imperial R2 unit. Primitive but better than nothing. My hangar bays consist of any cardboard environments Hasbro have released with the various ships, and of course the ships themselves. So yeah I'll take as many pilots as I can get but I'd also love a bit of diversity like all those boring technicians, more endor troops, echo base deck officers etc.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
I can see your logic; however, if anyone were going after the other figures or the B-Wing, they wound up with three Ten Nunbs. Even if two are exactly the same, who didn't buy the Rebel Pilots set that didn't get the B-Wing, aside from people who'd stopped collecting or never collected vehicles in the first place?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I can see your logic; however, if anyone were going after the other figures or the B-Wing, they wound up with three Ten Nunbs. Even if two are exactly the same, who didn't buy the Rebel Pilots set that didn't get the B-Wing, aside from people who'd stopped collecting or never collected vehicles in the first place?
If you want to nitpick, then there are actually only two Ten Numb figures - the one in the cinema scene, and the one in the Evolutions set. The figure with the B-wing, even though it was a repaint of Ten Numb from the cinema scene (his white gloves were repainted black), is just referred to as a generic "Sullustan pilot". It stands to reason that there were a number of Sullustans in the battle of Endor, since the fleet met up there, so I assume they picked up a few that weren't directly on screen (which is why it's odd that they made the new figure Nien Nunb when they just as easily could have made it a new character altogether - are we supposed to believe that he puts on the B-wing gear again before partying with the Ewoks, or what?). So, anyway, I don't mind having a number of Sullustan figures. Three white-suited Sullustans might be a bit of overkill since there weren't any in the film, but a pilot for the B-wing and some extra background fodder is fine by me. Plus, hasn't a white-suited Ten Numb been in quite a few comics? And the red-suited pilot is gladly welcomed by me, since he was actually in the film looking like that (he should have been able to wear the cap without the breathing apparatus or ear pieces, but whatever).

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 02:14 AM
I can see your logic; however, if anyone were going after the other figures or the B-Wing, they wound up with three Ten Nunbs. Even if two are exactly the same, who didn't buy the Rebel Pilots set that didn't get the B-Wing, aside from people who'd stopped collecting or never collected vehicles in the first place?Well, then you should have come up with your own thread asking this question with your own rules. :p It's not like I'm happy with that figure, it annoys the crap out of me in fact, but it's not the sort of thing I'm asking about, duplicate figures is another set of its own issues.

If you want to nitpick, then there are actually only two Ten Numb figures - the one in the cinema scene, and the one in the Evolutions set. The figure with the B-wing, even though it was a repaint of Ten Numb from the cinema scene (his white gloves were repainted black), is just referred to as a generic "Sullustan pilot". It stands to reason that there were a number of Sullustans in the battle of Endor, since the fleet met up there, so I assume they picked up a few that weren't directly on screen (which is why it's odd that they made the new figure Nien Nunb when they just as easily could have made it a new character altogether - are we supposed to believe that he puts on the B-wing gear again before partying with the Ewoks, or what?). So, anyway, I don't mind having a number of Sullustan figures. Three white-suited Sullustans might be a bit of overkill since there weren't any in the film, but a pilot for the B-wing and some extra background fodder is fine by me. Plus, hasn't a white-suited Ten Numb been in quite a few comics? And the red-suited pilot is gladly welcomed by me, since he was actually in the film looking like that (he should have been able to wear the cap without the breathing apparatus or ear pieces, but whatever).Boo, hiss! I refuse to claim it's a unique figure despite the packaging's claim otherwise. That is the same stupid Ten Numb figure that didn't sell for crap the first time around.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
They should've called him E'lifen Nunb the second time.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Do you actually organize those figures into displays, or are they organized in boxes?

I'm curious to learn how many of these figures get used. That's basically my feeling on the matter, I like the idea of them but I don't buy many of the latest ones anymore, so I'm not looking forward to more of them. I'm wondering if there IS a market for them after this year, and it looks like there is, but this is a small sampling so it's hard to tell just how strong a need.

Up until 2 weekends ago they were in their orgnaized dedicated Alliance/Republic/GA display shelf (had to put it all away for the baby). I have some older pics around here...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/pbarny/Death%20Star/mr_newhangar1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/pbarny/Death%20Star/mr_newhangar2.jpg
You really can't see the "Rogue Squadron" heroes in the Medical bay, which is to the left on a similar shelf to the command one on the right.

JediTricks
11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
They should've called him E'lifen Nunb the second time.Wouldn't that be "E'liefen Nulb" since the number thing AND the "numb, nunb" letter changing? Actually, I think we just bested Decipher's CCG in our SW naming quality. "Pello Scrambas" indeed. :rolleyes:

Up until 2 weekends ago they were in their orgnaized dedicated Alliance/Republic/GA display shelf (had to put it all away for the baby). I have some older pics around here...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/pbarny/Death%20Star/mr_newhangar1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/pbarny/Death%20Star/mr_newhangar2.jpg
You really can't see the "Rogue Squadron" heroes in the Medical bay, which is to the left on a similar shelf to the command one on the right.Wow, really packing them in with both figures and vehicles! I have all my figures packed in close like that, but haven't gotten vehicles into the mix. I especially dig the 2 levels on the right side with the graphics.

Why did you have Ten Numb flying an A-wing though?

pbarnard
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Why did you have Ten Numb flying an A-wing though?
Why not? :p

Mostly because the older Pilots Cinema Scenes don't stand so well.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Well, for one thing, because when Sullustans say "she gonna blow!" it comes out like garbled African mess.

Old Fossil
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I had the old camera out, and took a picture of my Rebel Pilots as I have them on the shelf. The living and the dead mingle freely here.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
"Carrot men... ATTACK!!!!"

(C'mon, you know in Ackbar's voice, that is funny stuff. If you get the concept Carrotmobile and Celeryman in there, it'd be perfect.)

pbarnard
11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Carrot's bring reference to a red headed moron that only Jay Leno thought was funny...

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
That's not enough info for me to decipher.

bigbarada
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
That's not enough info for me to decipher.

I think he's talking about the comedian Carrot Top.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I thought so too, but I didn't know Leno was into him.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2009, 09:28 AM
All my pilots end up in a box.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Huh, I guess they're having a briefing in a box. ;)

I wonder how many collectors really do that, really just toss them into a box. They're not that good for dioramas of stuff that doesn't involve briefings, after all.

Old Fossil
11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Huh, I guess they're having a briefing in a box. ;)

I wonder how many collectors really do that, really just toss them into a box. They're not that good for dioramas of stuff that doesn't involve briefings, after all.

I imagine much the same could be said for other subsets of figures -- in my case, Ewoks and Jabba's Palace guys end up in a box almost immediately. Not that I don't love them all equally...:love:

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 01:05 AM
The difference is that Ewoks and Jabba's Palace guys are seen together, while generally the pilots are seen individually except at the aforementioned briefings. There's battles and confrontations for Ewoks and at the Palace which makes them easier to understand for dioramas.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
When I had more room (a.k.a. less stuff), I could display figures. Now, now there's so much stuff, that most of the toys just get stuffed in containers or boxes. There they will find new meanings of pain and suffering, as they are slowly piled upon over... a thousand weeks. [insert slimy, no-good, rotten piece of filth comments here, right? :grrrwwrr: ]

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I lined up all my Rebel Pilots on a street corner display, with Pimp Daddy Destro and a pimped-out Jawa with Palpatine's cane and an Indiana Jones hat standing guard. Ten Nunb 3 and Dak are leaning over a Ford Mustang, talking and presumably discussing pricing to Shipwreck and Gung Ho. Elsewhere, J'quille is handing Porkins five bucks. I'd rather not know what for.

Devo
11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
The difference is that Ewoks and Jabba's Palace guys are seen together, while generally the pilots are seen individually except at the aforementioned briefings. There's battles and confrontations for Ewoks and at the Palace which makes them easier to understand for dioramas.

Briefings and hangar bays. Those are my favourite dioramas, even more so than Jabbas palace and the cantina.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Briefings and hangar bays. Those are my favourite dioramas, even more so than Jabbas palace and the cantina.
Really? I don't get it. I mean, I can understand having 1 like that, but after that, doesn't it feel repetitive? And moreso than scenes with action and suspense and mystery like the cantina?

2-1B
11-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I lined up all my Rebel Pilots on a street corner display, with Pimp Daddy Destro and a pimped-out Jawa with Palpatine's cane and an Indiana Jones hat standing guard. Ten Nunb 3 and Dak are leaning over a Ford Mustang, talking and presumably discussing pricing to Shipwreck and Gung Ho. Elsewhere, J'quille is handing Porkins five bucks. I'd rather not know what for.

Got a pic of that ? lol

Blue2th
11-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Take all their gear and helmets off, and they are just guys in mostly orange penitentiary suits.
Wilrow Hood can be the leader of the prisoner gang. :whip:

DarkJedi5
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Really? I don't get it. I mean, I can understand having 1 like that, but after that, doesn't it feel repetitive? And moreso than scenes with action and suspense and mystery like the cantina?

I like the pilots and briefing scenes because I used to love the X-Wing novels. In a perfect world I'd have room to display them all in the fighters in the midst of some epic dog-fight but the reality is A) I can't afford that many ships and B) even if I could and suspended them all from the ceiling, you wouldn't be able to see and appreciate the figures, it would be a helmet in a cockpit.

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
That's why I like Titaniums, can really go to town laying battles out. I'd rather have a dozen TIEs and X-wings than a couple dozen pilots standing around talking about it.

Devo
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM

I dunno I just love the Yavin and Echo base hangar bays. I know nothing dramatic is really going on but they are still very 'busy' scenes - the sets, all the pilots, technicians, troopers, troop transport carts, droids, and ships.

Its an ideal alternative to suspending ships from the ceiling in dogfights because, yeah, you can see both the ships and the figures at once and also more easily change things around if you wish.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
That's why I like Titaniums, can really go to town laying battles out. I'd rather have a dozen TIEs and X-wings than a couple dozen pilots standing around talking about it.So, you prefer your SW items to shoot the ships, rather than shoot the shi-

:rolleyes:

Old Fossil
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I like carrots. :upset:

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 01:23 AM
How can you have an Echo Base diorama with a meager 3 modern Snowspeeder pilot figures out there (or do you also include POTF2 Luke & Wedge?), and no Hoth Leia worth a darn?

BCJ, shame.