PDA

View Full Version : What's the largest ship/vehicle ever made?

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking the bmf takes it. I guess you go by the most volume of a vehicle, weight is tough because interiors can be so different.

AT-AT, Turbo Tank or AT-AE for second

then, Queen's Royal Starship
Rebel Transport
older Falcon
Imperial Shuttle
Republic Gunship
Arc 170
Jawa Sand Crawler
Slave 1
Ep. 1 Trade Fed. Tank
B Wing
Y Wing
new X Wing (to scale)
Vader's Tie

this was off the top of my head. Playsets can be another thread.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Just some advice, but can you think out the criteria specifically before asking these? Your waffling and not sure what to put as the criteria makes it impossible to answer if you don't know the rules beforehand.

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I said volume, you deaf man?

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I said volume, you deaf man?

But also said interiors and weight, but than proceed to list a bunch of long single seaters...

And volume isn't that clear to begin with. Total volume of the vehicle? Volume of accessible play/figure space?

The ability to ask a question doesn't make it clear, conscise or answerable.

IG 8D8
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I just want to know the order of the largest star wars vehicles. I figured weight is the easiest thing to measure. But it doesn't tell you the amount of space a ship takes up. The different interiors kind of rule out weight, because some interiors are hollow (AT AT) while some are fairly solid (BMF).

You can measure the outer dimensions of a vehicle/ship and come up with volume. I'm talking about the total size of a ship, not the play area.

pbarnard
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I just want to know the order of the largest star wars vehicles. I figured weight is the easiest thing to measure. But it doesn't tell you the amount of space a ship takes up. The different interiors kind of rule out weight, because some interiors are hollow (AT AT) while some are fairly solid (BMF).

You can measure the outer dimensions of a vehicle/ship and come up with volume. I'm talking about the total size of a ship, not the play area.

Largest vehicle by what definitions (you said volume, but even that isn't clear). Sure, if you use calculus and volume by parts since these things aren't exactly perfect shapes. :thumbsup:

But you never specified the type of volume to begin with (playable or total), thus asked yet another confusing question. The problem is not the question but the preciscion of the question.

bigbarada
11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
By overall mass and weight, the BMF Falcon beats out everything.

But if you are going by height alone, then the Imperial Shuttle beats out the AT-AT by an inch or two.

IG 8D8
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
It's not a hard question, largest vehicles, not height or weight or size of the interior. Big barada got it. I said volume because it's one thing you can measure, although it may be difficult to get accurate volumes for every ship. Someone may have a better idea on that, which is fine. I'll say it again, largest vehicles.

Slicker
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
The USS Flagg...

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
By overall mass and weight, the BMF Falcon beats out everything.

But if you are going by height alone, then the Imperial Shuttle beats out the AT-AT by an inch or two.

^Not volume in either case. This is a bias on your part because you saw the answer you're looking for, just not to the question asked. And you said it yourself, volume is not an easily quantifiable parameter due to the irregularity of shapes and even I don't have a graduated cylinder large enough to do a displacement measurement.

It's not a hard question, largest vehicles, not height or weight or size of the interior. Big barada got it. I said volume because it's one thing you can measure, although it may be difficult to get accurate volumes for every ship. Someone may have a better idea on that, which is fine. I'll say it again, largest vehicles.

It is a hard or at least sloppily asked question when it is not defined properly to begin with.

And Slicker is right...because you never specified Toy line...but that would be petty. It however does demonstrate the problem of specifics. The more specific and defined question you ask beforehand, the less chicanery you can expect afterwards. However, you shouldn't expect the answer to reflect your own opinions and biases.

If you go by total volume, the BMF. If you go by playable volume it's going to be close between an AT-TE or a TurboTank, where the BMF would be third, the old falcon and finally the AT-AT, Slave I and fighters. Volume vs playable volume makes a big difference. An X-Wing slightly less playable volume than a B-Wing but it about equal in total volume if not slightly larger than a B-Wing. A TIE fighter, even the old small wings, actually has more playable volume than either rebel ship, but is a much smaller volume. So yes, you even should have defined volume.

You asked something similar with figures, but you kept moving the criteria all over the place. Excluding beasts that were "boxed" but saying deluxe was ok, but throwing out things that were on deluxe cards but not boxed etc. It is just too confusing to read anyones mind.

What you really meant to say after all this is what Star Wars vehicle has the largest overall volume. Specifies the line, the volume, etc. Before hitting submit with the next question, take the time to think it out. Ask some one if it's clear, can this be interupeted in any other way. Revise the question, hit submit.

IG 8D8
11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
come on you expect a novel to properly identify the things I'm looking for in a question? It's not a college term paper, it's a discussion on star wars toys. If you can't answer a simple question such as "what's the biggest star wars ship" then don't bother trying to respond. You could easily guess what I'm talking about. I'm not talking color, or material used, or anything but size here.

I'm not talking about micro machines, titanium, transformers, etc. this is the "legacy collection" board is it not? That means Hasbro, but maybe you want to lecture on that too. It's ok to assume a few things before answering.

You don't need a graduated cylinder to compare two objects, you can look at a basketball and a baseball and figure out which one has more volume. Maybe you could compare the old millenium falcon to the bmf and determine one has more volume, I think that's asking too much for you. You want to make a science experiment out of this.

Dang! You actually attempted to make an answer in your last post I see, though you even turned that into more questions. How many times do I have to say "total volume" I never said I want to measure "play space volume" but you seem to want to answer that one, talk about bias. You said I should have defined volume, apparently you skipped over my previous posts.
"What you really meant to say after all this is what Star Wars vehicle has the largest overall volume" No kidding? How'd you figure that one out???
How many times do I have to say it? Gee.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 01:04 PM
You don't need a graduated cylinder to compare two objects, you can look at a basketball and a baseball and figure out which one has more volume. Maybe you could compare the old millenium falcon to the bmf and determine one has more volume, I think that's asking too much for you. You want to make a science experiment out of this.

"What you really meant to say after all this is what Star Wars vehicle has the largest overall volume" No kidding? How'd you figure that one out???
How many times do I have to say it? Gee.

You want an accurate way to do it, and it's not an experiment. An experiment is finding new information. This is a measurement. You can use several measurements and perform a novel analysis or try to link it to some condition and that would be an experiment. So sloppy with the terms. And people get perception/comparison questions wrong a lot (going into my field of neuroscience).

But that is not the question you asked initially. If you just asked that you wouldn't have this problem. That is the point. Learn to ask a better question. Just demonstrating to you that your answers would vary depending on the specificity of the question you asked.

First is what is the largest. Ok, than by volume (both in the first post). You included CW vehicles in the Legacy section. :p

Few posts later, overall volume. How hard is it to ask what SW vehicle has the largest (overall) volume initially? Apparently very hard.

IG 8D8
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I typed this definition in my third post of the thread:

"You can measure the outer dimensions of a vehicle/ship and come up with volume. I'm talking about the total size of a ship, not the play area."

but that still confused you somehow. By the way I think by listing the names of ships in my first post anyone could see what I was referring to. As far as I know the bmf is only made by Hasbro.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now on the subject of tallest figures I clearly stated I would count any carded figure, or other regular sized figures (3-3/4") released in sets such as the rebo band that were in a box. I decided to exclude the one wampa since the previous wampas were not carded, and I figured I would have a separate category for large creatures: rancor, wampas, dewback, etc.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Again, ignoring the point of my first point and every subsequent post...why don't you ask more specific/clearer questions to begin with? Why not wait or privately bounce it off some one so you don't have to go through this with every biggest/smallest/etc question you ask? Many of us would be happy to help you with this; I do answer all PMs (and IMs on the services if you identify as being from SSG). And these questions are academic exercises even if it's not at an academic institution so clarity and precision matter.

IG 8D8
11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
So Clone Wars vehicles aren't star wars vehicles? You included them yourself in your half assed attempt to answer the question.

I had to further define my question after the first post to clarify that I was looking for the amount of "total volume" a ship had and not weight or height. It should have been obvious.

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
So Clone Wars vehicles aren't star wars vehicles? You included them yourself in your half assed attempt to answer the question.

I had to further define my question after the first post to clarify that I was looking for the amount of "total volume" a ship had and not weight or height. It should have been obvious.

Just using your words...I didn't write the question. Just had to guess what it meant because there were gaps. :thumbsup:

But hey, you don't have to take help because you're doing great that so many other people have understood it. 2 answers to the question, one asking for repeated clarity and one answering it by height and mass. Yep, that's what I'd call obvious.

IG 8D8
11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Who wants to get in the middle of this crap? I know I don't. It was a simple question. A size question, not your view of economics or religion. You completely hijacked the the thread. Why would I want to ask you for help on anything?

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Dude, calm down. Even if pbarnard were being totally dense and not reading what you said, when he asks you to clarify it, how hard is it to answer without resorting to comments like, "I said volume, you deaf man"? (And what would you do if he responded and said he were deaf or had trouble hearing?)

Like I said before, I'm not attacking you in saying this, but maybe there aren't a lot of responses because you're taking every question as a personal attack and going on the defensive, and the thread sinks lower each time you do.

This is an open forum; anyone can post here, and that means everyone might not understand what you're saying, no matter how clear you may be. That doesn't make it acceptable to jump straight into name-calling.

Slicker
11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
This is too funny.

I stick by my USS Flagg answer...

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
THis is global, and it's taken to PM...

If you can't write clear and consicse questions with factual quantifiable answers, than one should get help with revising until it is that way otherwise expect responses to clarify. Broad questions with little specifics are for opinions.

And yes, Slicker is right.

IG 8D8
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I admit I got too defensive on the second post, sorry. But the truth is I left this question open to discussion. I'm not saying volume is the best answer to finding size of vehicles. It might be weight, or something else. The point is I wanted to see a discussion on the largest star wars ships and vehicles, and it's turned to this. Not my intention.

TheDarthVader
11-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I live in Texas, and right now I can hear two old hens outside squabbling over chicken feed.

clone157
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Could you be more specific about that last post? :D Isn't it time SW started "stealing" molds from other lines? I am sick of seeing our playsets used by other toy lines. Temple of Atakore or whatever be damned, it is Mustafar! I wonder how good ARC-170s and Gunships would look on the Flagg. Maybe the big Shuttle Complex would make a good Death Star?