PDA

View Full Version : Picked up new TLC figs: Plo Koon, Scanning Trooper, Boba Fett, Ep 2 Padme

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on this unusual quartet of figures.

Imperial Scanning Trooper - I was expecting the other version, the one with the box itself, but this one has the wheelie cart. And I mean "wheelie" as in it has those cheap 25 cent plastic toy car wheels on a single axle wheels, but they do work. The cart itself looks about right, which is to say, it has that ANH cheese factor about it, but it is a little bland.

The trooper himself is very sculpted, very very very sculpted with wrinkles in his suit, like crazy wrinkled. The raised shoulder emblems are cool but they interfere with outward articulation a little. The belt is packing a big squared holster for his stormie blaster which sits loosely. The head is ok, has some of that '70s cheese in the expression and sideburns. Mine has the upward-cast eyes which annoys me, but he is supposed to walk up the Falcon's ramp. There's a lot of detail in the figure, but somehow it comes off a little "lesser than", he's a good enough figure but boring just like the character. I won't be army building, but I will be buying the other version (I hope).

Boba Fett - The Evo returns, and I didn't pay $22 more to get the emblem since my original doesn't have it. This figure is still pretty sharp and snazzy, but they ramped up the green, I'm not sure if I like it, I'll have to play around with displaying it some more. The helmet also annoys me a little more than before thanks to the nose pushing out the lens.

Plo Koon - This is a mixed bag but mostly very good. The only real problems are that A) he doesn't have his signature robe; and B) his face mask doesn't stay on or fit all that well, and that's a big deal. The mask can be pushed on adequately, but the eyes don't quite seal up, and they're a bit long and downward which looks weird. Other than that, the figure has great articulation and can do a fantastic 2-handed close saber pose. The unmasked head is unsettling but mostly accurate, though the area in the mouth (?) is too flat to look right. The head is on a very odd long ball joint, it's decent but up/down range isn't outstanding. The double saber is quite cool, a little simple in the paint of the hilt, but it clips on strong and the blades look very nice. The single saber is excellent, the only thing missing is some accent paint, but the sculpt is among the sharpest of any SW accessory. The figure poses well, but the mask does get knocked off somewhat easily while posing so save that for last. I feel like there's something a little less exciting about this figure than its Clone Wars counterpart though, that figure is a little more dynamic in the way it can be posed, perhaps it's as simple as a more exciting outfit, I dunno. Still, this is a very good figure in a long line of very good Plo Koon figures.

Padme Ep 2 - The Evolutions figure, minus the boring other 2, and 15 bucks. I was amazed at how good this figure is. The likeness is excellent, the first Padme sculpt I can remember that really looks like Natalie Portman. The paint is very good too, restrained but not masculine, I don't have the Evo original but judging on pics, this paint is a bit better and has the mole. The sculpt on the hairline is too high and peaked, but it kinda works, it feels right even if it is clearly exaggerated. The rear of the hair isn't as elaborate as the movie version, but it carries the idea. The body is ok but too wide and lacks the subtlety of the waist that is higher than it should be trying to play into the articulation; the hips are even worse, just plain old too wide. But the sculpting on the outfit is good, the belt and boots even better. The pistol is nice. The way the hands work is creative, they're very small and only partial hands due to how long the sleeves are, unfortunately the elbows can go both directions so mine came with the arms rotated upside-down and it took me a while to figure out why things looked odd.

The best part of this figure is the cut scene hood and soft goods cloak. The cloak has a nice cut to it, not entirely accurate but very suggestive, and then it's smartly sewn to give folds that keep it from looking plain the way too many soft goods do. Then there's the plastic hood, it's very nice, fits well and visually comes together with the soft goods cloak, it's a nifty addition.

All in all, I didn't expect it but I really like this figure, it's my favorite of the batch and is the most accurate.

figrin bran
11-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I got Master Plo from HTS the other day. The mask was just too troublesome and so I swapped the heads with ROTS Plo, even though the color doesn't match the color of the hands. I would've just glued on the mask but the face recesses aren't deep enough for it to bit a proper fit. Aside from that, it's a great figure!

I also got Jeremoch Colton in that order. Not a terrible figure but not a particularly exciting one as well. The headgear doesn't seem to fit very well and is too large for Colton's head. The facial likeness is good but something about it isn't 100% accurate though I haven't figured out what.

DarkJedi5
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Boba Fett - The Evo returns, and I didn't pay $22 more to get the emblem since my original doesn't have it. This figure is still pretty sharp and snazzy, but they ramped up the green, I'm not sure if I like it, I'll have to play around with displaying it some more. The helmet also annoys me a little more than before thanks to the nose pushing out the lens.

I had this figure in my hands and I still didn't like it enough to buy it. I complained initially about it being too green but I was going to try to give it a fair shot but in the end, just couldn't say yes.

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't have ROTS Plo Koon, but looking at pics of the disassembled version, it looks like the upper torso is the same as this new figure. Is that the case?

There's something cartoony about Colton's likeness, makes him look like an overgrown baby while also looking like the character, so I passed on that fig.

Yeah, that green doesn't work for ESB Fett. There's a shot of ROTJ Fett where it does: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain2.jpg
but that doesn't represent what we really get in the film with lighting and such, and the figure isn't ROTJ Fett no matter what.

Qui-Long Gone
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
^from that picture Fett's green has more blue in it giving it a more dynamic look.

Haven't seen the Fett, and that would be the only figure I buy from this wave if I see it....can the "nose" be trimmed? I don't need the figure for the head sculpt....

The Ep 2 Padme sounds promising....like the DS2 Luke, I'll have to see this figures before I make up my mind...

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 02:46 AM
I can't imagine why you couldn't trim the nose down, it's a standard Jango-Clone style head with a sock around it.

morpheus282
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Really dumb question about the Plo Koon figure - where did the double lightsaber come from? I don't recall ever seeing him use anything like it in any of the movies or cartoons.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Really dumb question about the Plo Koon figure - where did the double lightsaber come from? I don't recall ever seeing him use anything like it in any of the movies or cartoons.
Pretty sure it was from concept art for ROTS. The animated figure has it as well.

figrin bran
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't have ROTS Plo Koon, but looking at pics of the disassembled version, it looks like the upper torso is the same as this new figure. Is that the case?

There's something cartoony about Colton's likeness, makes him look like an overgrown baby while also looking like the character, so I passed on that fig.

Yeah, that green doesn't work for ESB Fett. There's a shot of ROTJ Fett where it does: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:BobaFettMain2.jpg
but that doesn't represent what we really get in the film with lighting and such, and the figure isn't ROTJ Fett no matter what.

This new Plo does indeed have the same upper torso as the ROTS version. The arms are different though as ROTS Plo has swivel elbows while Legacy BAD Plo has ball joints.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Concept art is indeed where it came from. The Sideshow figure's exclusive accessory was the double saber as well.

Weird, such a minimalistic reuse of just 1 part. I'm surprised they bothered.

Old Fossil
11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm very interested in seeing this Fett figure in person. I like the images I've seen so far.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I suspect Fett will sell pretty fast, gonna be a hard figure to find. Something about Boba Fett always sells very strong (in armor, sorry kid).

AmanaMatt
11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok, saw this wave tonight at my Walmart - not sure if this is the ANH wave alone, but ANH Han was out, Padme was out, Jawa Damage R2 was out...

Picked up:

Scanning Tech - wow: love the details

R2 - awesome looking, non chrome head......

Jawa - UGH, this is the third time the same sculpt has been reused and modified. This will be my last Jawa purchase unless they come up with something new....!

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the 411 on R2 and the Jawa. The Jawa I wanted to like, but looking at the pics on HTS, I couldn't order it then, it didn't really floor me. Have you compared it directly to the previous one?

Surprised to hear something good about R2, that figure looked like it was too plain to get a good rap.

AmanaMatt
11-11-2009, 01:27 AM
As for the Jawa: From what I can tell, its the same arms, legs, upper torso - albeit modified from the last two........all have the same heads too....

As for the R2, it is a standard issue version, with pop up scope (like R5 D4 in function), but I like the paints apps a lot

Funny thing about the packaging pics: The Jawa has him with a slit up his skirt; final version is a solid soft goods; scanning tech shows him with a different scanning accessory; and the R2 package shows him with his 'Vintage' accessories; final doesnt have it

Talk about 'final product may vary'

DarkJedi5
11-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the 411 on R2 and the Jawa. The Jawa I wanted to like, but looking at the pics on HTS, I couldn't order it then, it didn't really floor me. Have you compared it directly to the previous one?

Yeah the Jawa is the same sculpt with the x-style bandoleer. The only difference seems to be the soft goods skirt and the ability to sit, so if you want to do the sitting Jawas in front of the Cantina you can. The droid isn't a huge winner either. I mean, I wanted it and am glad to have it but it's not like the effort they turned in on the WED droid we got with the last Jawa.

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I just now realized that R2 there is using the VOTC body but with a new dome since it's not chromed and doesn't appear to have the light-piped eye. For me, that's worth getting, plus I want that R3-A2 dome if it's really as clear as others have said, compared to R3-M3's cloudy dome.

Weird about the wrong accessories on the cardback though.

Man, sounds like that Jawa is a real loser this time around. Thanks for the info, I will stay away.

AmanaMatt
11-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Ok, my walmart is pretty much putting out a case every night - but a lot of figures are pretty damaged (packaging)...

Picked up

ANH Han - such a cheesey looking figure, I had to own it.....by no means a home run

Kal Fas - very cool alien; will get another once the eyes are corrected

Passed on the pink cantina alien = not a well done figure

ROTJ Luke - ok, I will confess bought one carded last Sun, and picked this one up to open. There seems to be a running paint variant on the hair. The one last week had a very dark brown, and the ones I saw today were very blonde - almost like the pic on the back. when side-by-side, they look very different.

I actually like the figure out of package much more than carded. Once posed, the body does look as bulky and awkward. And with the corrected blonde hair color on my loose one, it does have a very nice likeness...

dindae
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Picked up U'tai, Plo, Agen, and Colton yesterday. I think these are all solid figure. I agree with JT about Plo's mask in the fact that it does come off fairly easily but not so bad that it is a real problem. And the eyes of the mask are off but I was thinking it was more that the mask isn't exactly in the spot it normally is but I will have to look at it again. I was suprised to find the wave. I am really starting to think they cut the production of figures a bit too much. In my area I've only seen evidence the E1 wave a handfull of times, ROTJ has been more prevelent but still has not lasted long, and no sign yet of the ANH wave.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Found and bought the following from some partial ANH and ROTS waves I found at the local WM (where, sadly, there were no Dewbacks, much less any with good paint):

Leesub Sirin
Whatshisface Kal Fas
Jawa (yay!)
Concept IG-88
Scanning Crew Trooper #1
Concept Ki-Adi-Mundi (Despite not wanting many more AOTC/ROTS figures, I have a soft spot for Ki-Adi, and love this design. It should've been used in the movie, as should Saessee's broken horn. Some indication these guys were thrown into a war and have fought for three years, aside from Anakin's mullet and scar, would've been nice.)

Passed on these:
Han with helmet (WTF?)
Chewie with... whatever supposedly makes this Chewie unique
R2-D2 with zap effects
Stormtrooper
Clone Commander Whocares (he had red detailing)
Plo Koon (I was momentarily tempted for the dagger thing and the YVH part, but, dang, isn't this like the 403rd Plo Koon figure? Besides, the reviews of his new mask :rolleyes: seem to be negative.)

So I got the green Artoo, one piece of the orange Artoo (don't really care--one thing BAD has done is cause severe droid overload for me), and one piece of the YVH (which I would like to complete somehow).

bigbarada
11-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Imperial Scanning Trooper - I was expecting the other version, the one with the box itself, but this one has the wheelie cart. And I mean "wheelie" as in it has those cheap 25 cent plastic toy car wheels on a single axle wheels, but they do work. The cart itself looks about right, which is to say, it has that ANH cheese factor about it, but it is a little bland.

The trooper himself is very sculpted, very very very sculpted with wrinkles in his suit, like crazy wrinkled. The raised shoulder emblems are cool but they interfere with outward articulation a little. The belt is packing a big squared holster for his stormie blaster which sits loosely. The head is ok, has some of that '70s cheese in the expression and sideburns. Mine has the upward-cast eyes which annoys me, but he is supposed to walk up the Falcon's ramp. There's a lot of detail in the figure, but somehow it comes off a little "lesser than", he's a good enough figure but boring just like the character. I won't be army building, but I will be buying the other version (I hope).

I found this guy recently (along with the rest of this wave - still no ROTJ wave though), and I noticed that the "hinges" in his ball-joint ankles are molded in light grey plastic, so it sticks out like a sore thumb on his black boots. It's not like they are a part of the lower leg, so they could have just as easily been molded in black and it wouldn't have been such an obvious flaw. I noticed the same problem for that pink Leesub girl. Seems like one of those lazy, cost-cutting things and I'm annoyed enough about it that I think it might be worth asking Hasbro about in the Q&A.

morpheus282
11-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I've pretty much given up on finding anything new at retail. Since August, I've seen the full ROTJ wave in the wild once, two TPM figures, and a couple of repacks. Every other single carded figure I've bought was off eBay or various other dealers. I don't think I've been able to walk into a store and easily locate a new figure since the MB-RA-7 wave and it looks like the ESB wave is finally showing up locally in decent numbers, but only in a couple of stores. Dewbacks and AT-STs appear to have come and gone in my area, and having only seen the dewbacks once and the AT-STs twice at one store I'm a little let down. I was hoping they'd be around long enough that I could get a second of each.

If the problems finding Legacy figures don't clear up soon I might find myself (rather unwillingly) in the ranks of the ex-collectors.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I found this guy recently (along with the rest of this wave - still no ROTJ wave though), and I noticed that the "hinges" in his ball-joint ankles are molded in light grey plastic, so it sticks out like a sore thumb on his black boots. It's not like they are a part of the lower leg, so they could have just as easily been molded in black and it wouldn't have been such an obvious flaw. I noticed the same problem for that pink Leesub girl. Seems like one of those lazy, cost-cutting things and I'm annoyed enough about it that I think it might be worth asking Hasbro about in the Q&A.They did the same thing with Slave Leia. I think it's about the type of material having to flow into a specific cavity on the mold, but it's pretty lame none the less. It's nothing new though, the occasional fig has suffered this pretty much since '04.