PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood...

sith_killer_99
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Just checking in to let everyone know that I am okay, things have been hectic here at Fort Hood, I just got home about an hour ago. Tired, long day...

El Chuxter
11-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear you're okay. I've been watching the news today, and hadn't made the connection you were stationed there. I'm praying for all of you guys (and gals) in Fort Hood tonight.

Rocketboy
11-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Glad to hear you're ok sk99.
Thanks for checking in with us.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Glad to hear you are safe and sound. When I got off work and got into my car, I heard Obama speaking and it sounded like something bad had happened. When I finally heard what it was and that it was at Fort Hood, I couldn't remember for certain if that was where you were stationed. Then I saw a recent post where you mentioned it, so when I sent you the PM, I was worried I might not get a response back. I figured that even if you were safe, things might be a bit hectic, so it was a bit of a relief when you responded so soon.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Glad to hear you're ok, this one was so messed up. And this guy was a psychiatrist on the base no less.

TeeEye7
11-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Just checking in to let everyone know that I am okay, things have been hectic here at Fort Hood, I just got home about an hour ago. Tired, long day...

*Whew!* I've been worried all day! I got called in early to work and never had a chance to check here. Glad you and the family are OK!

This was great news to come home to! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
From the news I'm seeing today, it looks like this fellow should've gotten a dishonorable discharge a long time ago. It's one thing to be a conscientious objector, but he sounded like he had some far more serious issues, and it sounds like he wasn't discreet about them, either.

elvandrik
11-06-2009, 08:39 AM
From the news I'm seeing today, it looks like this fellow should've gotten a dishonorable discharge a long time ago. It's one thing to be a conscientious objector, but he sounded like he had some far more serious issues, and it sounds like he wasn't discreet about them, either.

Nah, he should've been given a General(medical) Discharge earlier on before he snapped. His obvious mental issues should have made it easy to release him. His issues were probably pretty severe for a long time and he went mostly undiagnosed because he was the guy who was supposed to be diagnosing everyone else's issues. Military life is very stressful at times and some people just cant adapt to it. What I think is odd is that this guy was a Major; that's an officer rank you get after a good number of years of actual service. If he really wanted to just get out of the military, he could have just said he was gay and he would probably have gotten a General Discharge under Other Than Honorable conditions which does not leave any negative markers on your legal records once you exit the military. My guess is that he didnt take that route because he was a Muslim and in Muslim culture being gay is not acceptable.

You only get Dishonorably Discharged when do you somjething really bad, such as murder, rape, desertion, or stealing/destroying a large amount of government property. When you get Dishonorably Discharged, its the equivalent of a felony conviction that goes on your permanent record. DD's carry a very negative stigma, even once you get out. Most employers will not hire you, just like they wouldn't hire someone with a serious felony conviction in their past. You'll never get a state or federal job, even if its scrubbing toilets at the local post office.

There is absolutely no doubt that he will now be dishonorably discharged after killing so many of his fellow soldiers, regardless if he was/is crazy or not. He obviously went way over the deep end and being a mental health professional, he should have had himself committed if he felt like he was going to hurt someone.

Glad to hear that SK is ok though.

mtriv73
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm glad you're all right but I'm so sad for all the ones that aren't.

Apparently, I graduated with this nutjob (Virginia Tech Biochemistry class of '97) I don't remember him specifically, but since there were only 80 of us, I must have had some classes with him. It's so sad, so many lives ended tragically and for no reason.

pbarnard
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Glad to hear you're unscathed. I don't think the dishonorable discharge will be this guys problem. It's the mental problems he's going to carry into his new relationship with his new boyfriend when he gets to Leavenworth.

It side steps the real issue here however, and no it's not the failure of the military and public health systems in dealing with mental illness. The problem is people with guns in towers (or other high points) in Texas. Either tear down the towers or don't let people with guns in the towers.

Qui-Long Gone
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
when he gets to Leavenworth

...or Hell....:mad:

JEDIpartner
11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear that you are fine, mister!!!

We always seen to respond a little too little and a little too late when it comes to dealing with people who have mental illnesses. So sad for everyone involved. :cry:

Darth Jax
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
thanks for updating us that you are ok SK.

Darth Duranium
11-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm glad you're safe, too SK. Who'd have thunk?

Many of the shrinks and psych nurses that I used to work with were a bit potty, but this guy takes the whole enchilada. Unbe-freaking-lievable. I hope he fries for it.

2-1B
11-07-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm glad to see you are ok, SK99.

Tycho
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I just saw this thread. My best wishes to you Sith_Killer, and especially to the family and friends of those most affected by this tragedy.

Lord Malakite
11-11-2009, 04:29 AM
This shooter might not be as "psychotic" (aka had a "mental breakdown") as you guys seem to think. There is now talk (http://www.jihadwatch.org/2009/11/us-officials-were-aware-months-ago-that-fort-hood-jihadist-was-trying-to-contact-al-qaeda.html) that this guy secretly considered himself a jihadist and was attempting to converse with Al-Queda by e-mail long before the shooting.

Tycho
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Being used for a cause just robs an event like this of all it's personal worth to the individual perpetraitor.

First, I'd never do something like this but entertained fantasies of having everyone that "deserved to get it" lined up in my own personal shooting gallery before.

That being said, a shooting rampage should be a completely selfish act, so if I were doing it, I'd go about it for completely selfish reasons, not some demagogue's.

Unfortunately, (or probably fortunately) after an analysis, I don't really have anyone that I want to shoot or who even "deserves" to get shot.

I have to wonder if this guy at Fort Hood did feel otherwise, and just used jihad as an excuse. You can use a rationalization for a long time before you take action.

For me, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has long been calling for me to throw a cream pie in JediTricks' face ;)

The FBI could probably do an internet trace on me researching Betty Crocker's cream pies for several years back. However, I have not acted on this impulse yet, as Mr. Tricks has yet to really insult Michael Bay and put down Seseame Street to really agitate me enough to move into action.

However, you see my personal motive in the above scenerio. I will only be claiming the Flying Spaghetti Monster instructed me to act. But the cream pie thing will really be taken upon for purely selfish reasons.

OK, SERIOUSLY NOW, what I'm really illustrating is that people LIE about their real causes, and may not even know them themselves - even while going about long-term planning.

On September 11, 2001, 19 sexually frustrated kids who couldn't assimilate into American culture where they were different but nevertheless attending school, couldn't overcome the brainwashing and guilt instilled by their home countries' cultures and hijacked 4 planes with box-cutters, claiming they were acting purely on the behalf of Osama Bin Laden and party.

WRONG. They were socially frustrated individuals who were totally alienated due to cultural differences and they "found a cause" so they could explain themselves less shamefully because in the end they were just a bunch of losers.

I do NOT believe people who say they are believers - except for me of course. I've actually seen and spoken with the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ;)

TeeEye7
11-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Interesting.

Not a single outraged voice concerning the murder of four police officers in Washington state; yet this thread goes on for eighteen posts. This is domestic terrorism at its finest, but wtf, they were only cops......

Even CBS national news lead with Tiger Woods' crash.

I guess the body count wasn't high enough.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Interesting.

Not a single outraged voice concerning the murder of four police officers in Washington state; yet this thread goes on for eighteen posts. This is domestic terrorism at its finest, but wtf, they were only cops......

Even CBS national news lead with Tiger Woods' crash.

I guess the body count wasn't high enough.

Well, this thread was started by SK to let us know he was okay. I've seen the story of the cop killings on the news today and it got my attention since it was here in Washington state. Pretty sad. This quote from the story on foxnews.com kind of sums it up:

"We have no motive at all," Troyer said. "I don't think when we find out what it is, it will be anything that makes any sense or be worth it."

Tycho
11-30-2009, 07:44 AM
"We have no motive at all," Troyer said. "I don't think when we find out what it is, it will be anything that makes any sense or be worth it."

That sums it up.

Enjoying violence myself to some degree or another (paintball anyone?) some kind of shoot-out with whomever I'd expect to be armed and able to fight back would be one way to go out in a blaze of glory.

Perhaps that's the only reason these cops were targeted. It's sad but not surprising or even shocking to me.

Quite honestly, I'm more surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen daily or even multiple times per day. I could imagine a world like that, and I think I could adapt to a world like that. But as with peacetime, one can also get tired of war time. It could be harder to stop a society from going down that path once they get going, than to gather "the courage" to start things down the warpath. Tombstone, Arizona 1880's anyone?