PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning to watch Jim Carrey's Christmas Carol movie?

El Chuxter
11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
No?

Didn't think so.

Carry on discussing movies we actually want to see.

pbarnard
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
People still go to movies?

Rocketboy
11-05-2009, 11:48 PM
The only reason I'd want to see it is the 3D, but the flick just doesn't look that interesting - same old story, nothing new, which isn't enough to get me to pony up the cash (plus some for the 3D) to see it.

bobafrett
11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm going to save my $10 bucks and go see something else, what, I don't know.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 03:20 AM
No, I find Jim Carrey annoying in small doses and funny only rarely in even smaller ones, so a whole movie populated by his work would be madness. I also don't like Zemeckis's mo-cap animation style, it's creepy and all the human characters look like zombies with dead eyes based on trailers. Plus, I'm a little bored with this story, even a fresh crazy new take on it, it's been overplayed the last 25 years IMO.

Zemeckis is talking about a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit where there will be 2d cartoon characters and the humans will be mo-cap. IMO, that is the worst idea I've ever heard. I used to respect him as a director and storyteller with every move he made, but the last decade it seems like he's losing his touch with reality. I mean, remaking Yellow Submarine with CGI and mo-cap??? That's insanity.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, it would make a good movie to see if my uncle joins us for Christmas again, but aside from that, I don't know if I'd go see it otherwise.

Darth Jax
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
i'll fork over the money to see the horrible squeakel to Alvin & the chipmunks rather than suffer through another Jim Carrey kid's movie.

El Chuxter
11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
No, I find Jim Carrey annoying in small doses and funny only rarely in even smaller ones, so a whole movie populated by his work would be madness. I also don't like Zemeckis's mo-cap animation style, it's creepy and all the human characters look like zombies with dead eyes based on trailers. Plus, I'm a little bored with this story, even a fresh crazy new take on it, it's been overplayed the last 25 years IMO.

Zemeckis is talking about a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit where there will be 2d cartoon characters and the humans will be mo-cap. IMO, that is the worst idea I've ever heard. I used to respect him as a director and storyteller with every move he made, but the last decade it seems like he's losing his touch with reality. I mean, remaking Yellow Submarine with CGI and mo-cap??? That's insanity.
You summed up what I thought, in more words than I cared to use. :) You notice that Robert Zemeckis is the only person using this zombie animation, and it seems to be all he's doing now? Ick.

The Chipmunks movie, I must confess, I avoided at all costs until it was on HBO and my daughter wanted to see it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected; it was actually pretty decent.

sebillba
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm going to see it in London on Monday, on IMAX. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise - the story's been done to death, and Jim Carrey gets on my nerves, but I'm hoping to be blown away by the visuals.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
You summed up what I thought, in more words than I cared to use. :) You notice that Robert Zemeckis is the only person using this zombie animation, and it seems to be all he's doing now? Ick.

The Chipmunks movie, I must confess, I avoided at all costs until it was on HBO and my daughter wanted to see it. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected; it was actually pretty decent.
Yeah, even Jar Jar wasn't mocapped that way. Zemeckis I fear has become a control freak and needs to be able to edit anything down to the way a character's cheek wobbles when they talk.

Rocketboy
11-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Zemeckis is talking about a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit where there will be 2d cartoon characters and the humans will be mo-cap. IMO, that is the worst idea I've ever heard.He still hasn't explicitly said that the humans will be mo-cap. All he said is that he'll use it in Roger Rabbit 2. Its very that possible Roger could be interacting with modern CG toons and real humans.

bobafrett
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, Ebert gave it 4 stars, so I may just go sleep through it.

JimJamBonds
11-07-2009, 10:32 AM
No..... no I am not.

Kidhuman
11-07-2009, 10:46 AM
My Wife wants to see it and the kids also. So I guess I will be seeing it.

DarthQuack
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes, I plan to see it on one of my days off this week.

bigbarada
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I saw it last week and it was alright. Pretty much the same story, meaning lots of boring British people standing around talking, so it's been "spiced up" with some completely pointless chase sequences and just overall silliness.

Honestly, you would never know that Scrooge was Jim Carrey unless someone told you.

Also, the voice for the Ghost of Christmas Past is HORRIBLY annoying and this is coming from someone who didn't mind Jar Jar and Ziro the Hutt.

sebillba
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I saw it on Monday, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but mainly because it was in 3-D on IMAX, so the overall effect was awesome... but I wouldn't bother if it was just a regular dvd.

As Scrooge, Jim Carrey was fine, and didn't irritate me at all... unfortunately I can't say the same about his Ghost of Christmas Present, as his accent veered from Midlands to Northern to Scottish. Very annoying.

The animation was generally superb, though at times, the characters suffered from dead-eye syndrome (and I would've liked to have seen more direct eye contact with the camera), and the dancing scene with Fezziwig didn't work at all - it was more like something from a Disney film 20 years ago.

Ando
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Easy PASS for me.

I prefer Christmas Vacation, Die Hard 1 and Die Hard 2, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A Christmas Story, Scrooged, Just Friends, and Elf. I have a somewhat obscure Christmas movie taste and make absolutely no apologies for it.

I like the Christmas Carol story, but it's been redone so many times that I don't need another version of it.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Scrooged, Mickey's Christmas Carol, The Muppets Christmas Carol, and that one older version of A Christmas Carol (I can never remember which until I see it, not that that helps) are plenty of Christmas Carol for me. I don't dislike Carrey, per se, but he tends to play the same role (Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura/The Mask as _____), and it got stale long ago. At least Adam Sandler can tell new jokes; Carrey's facial distortions don't get fresher.

preacher
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
George C Scott as Scrooge cannot be beat.

Jim Carrey icould be a great actor. Number 23 really gave him an opportunity to exercise his acting chops. He is good at the dramatic roles. Like someone else said we saw Ace and Mask many years ago and yet he continues to use that characterization all the freaking time.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
The Truman Show was a very good movie. And Carrey did quite well in it. He has potential. Somewhere.

2-1B
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
and The Cable Guy and Dumb & Dumber (his 2 best movies).

I agreed that George C. Scott's Xmas Carol is the best.

Ando
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
George C Scott as Scrooge cannot be beat.

That's the wife's favorite version, too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2009, 04:07 PM
The Truman Show was a very good movie. And Carrey did quite well in it. He has potential. Somewhere.
He was pretty damn good in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

DarkArtist
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
planning on it. just haven't had the chance...work has been non-stop for the past month with housing inspections and court and classes for my license... hoping to have one Friday or Saturday night to settle down and watch it.

Kidhuman
12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I saw this, it was alright. Its freakin Scrooge remade,

bobafrett
12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw one that was a musical version starring the guy who played "Frasier", Kelsey Grammer, as Scrooge. It was okay.