PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro acquires Micronauts!

RooJay
11-06-2009, 04:31 AM
As reported by the Wall Street Journal. Good? Bad? At the very least we will be getting new toys finally! I for one am very excited at the prospect. I had been very hopeful originally when first Palisades, and then SOTA had announced they were planning on resurrecting the Micronauts concept, but...well we all know how that ended up! I have very fond memories of the original line, and they were in fact my very first exposure to 3 3/4" figures. I feel much more confident that Hasbro will actually deliver product this time around where the other two companies failed.

I also hear that JJ Abrams is in talks to produce a Micronauts movie, which frankly could easily go either way, but hey...there'll be some cool toys!

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/9543-hasbro-acquires-micronauts.html

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Up is down, black is white, cats are dogs, and this is madness. Yes, Micronauts are an American import of Micronauts which is a spinoff of Henshin Cyborg which is a spinoff of the Japanese GI Joe line, but still, this was Takara's baby and I don't think Hasbro can deliver on what makes Micronauts Micronauts.

Daryl VayDar
11-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Man JT- I hope you're wrong about Hasbro's ability to deliver on this one because I am a huge fan of the property. Issue #9 of the Marvel series was the first comic I ever bought on my own (a Michael Golden Acroyear cover....saweeeeet!) and the toys were a huge part of my childhood. With Palisades dropping the ball and Takara's own issues with brittle plastic on the Microman line in Japan, the property has had both eyes blackened in the last few years and needs to have something positive happen.

Old Fossil
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Wow... what's next? Shogun Warriors???

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I hope I'm wrong too, but this doesn't seem up their alley to deliver upon.

plasticfetish
11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I saw a few reports on this the other day, and I've definitely got some mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I'm all for the idea of someone... anyone really, taking a swing at the concept. Hasbro is a pretty obvious choice, given their long standing relationship with the Transformers franchise. I know from brief conversations that I've had with people at Comic-Con, that there really would be fans of the Microman/Micronauts line involved, and I'm sure that they are capable of developing something very cool.

On the other hand, I'm completely over Transformers for a lot of reasons, and I'd kind of hate to see something like Micronauts go down the same path. It really all depends on their approach; on the amount of effort and commitment that they'll put into producing a quality product, and the kind of designs that they develop.

And as much as I enjoyed (and still enjoy) the old Marvel Micronauts comics, I sort of hope that they have nothing to do with a new toy line. I'd rather see them dip into early Microman stories for inspiration. To me the charm of the Mego line was that it faithfully introduced that world to young cyborg fans outside of Japan. Sure, Mego modified the concept some, but they stayed very true to the whole asthetic that Takara created.

Vintage Takara ads >> here (http://www.youtube.com/user/plasticfetish). (3/4 of a million hits and growing.)

Daryl VayDar
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Agreed on an attempted "revival" of the Marvel comics concepts being a bad idea- the original Takara concepts are very different and would be a great source of inspiration for a new line. With Hasbro's inability to use characters like Bug, Commander Rann, and Mari, anything they did would not have the right "feel" anyway...

In Hasbro's defense, they are extremely good at one aspect of the Micronauts toys- the repaint! :thumbsup:

RooJay
11-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Wow... what's next? Shogun Warriors???

Man, I sure as hell hope so!:thumbsup:

Agreed on an attempted "revival" of the Marvel comics concepts being a bad idea- the original Takara concepts are very different and would be a great source of inspiration for a new line. With Hasbro's inability to use characters like Bug, Commander Rann, and Mari, anything they did would not have the right "feel" anyway...

Wasn't Bug actually a part of the recent Marvel Universe Fan's Choice poll? I was pretty sure I remember having voted for him. I'm almost certain that Marvel has sole ownership of the characters they created for the Micronauts comic - they've even used them several times over the years, with Bug even being a current member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. That'd mean that he's fair game for Hasbro to use in the Marvel Universe line.
Now, I'm not saying that I support the idea of using the Marvel Micronauts storyline for the new toy line, but I would not at all be against seeing Bug show up either here or in the Marvel Universe line. Either way, he's likely to end up compatible with either line.

Daryl VayDar
11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
That's a good point about Bug and the rest of the Marvel characters. I read further down in the link from post one and the comment was made that those characters would NOT be available- I just checked again and that statement was not part of the article, but was a comment from a site mod so maybe they can be used.

If the Hasbro/Marvel ties would allow a full line based on the Marvel run, I would be all over it! There is great potential for secondary characters like Pharoid, the Dog Soldiers, the Acroyears, the Death Squad, Huntaar- hell, I'd love Bug and Acroyear in the zoot suits from that Mobster-world storyline!

My biggest concern would be that we ended up with some bizarre hybrid like the Devil's Due comic series...