PDA

View Full Version : The AT-ST is mine, bwa ha ha!

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Wal-mart had a whole endcap of these today - in the back of the toy section behind the baby toys. What the what??? Odd location. Anyway, I bought one and cut my thumb severely with scissors taking off the paper bindings holding it to the backer.

The figure is a snore, I don't really like the Han Solo figure and this one is the same with a different head. Oddly, this head seems to be the basis for the new Imperial Scanning Trooper I just got, and boy do I wish it had that head and body instead of this awful mess of a body. Hard to believe something with such poor articulation could have been released only 5 years ago. The figure comes with a standard Imperial blaster, but it's clear-banded into his hand so tight that the handle and butt of the gun are HEAVILY warped.

The vehicle is awesome though, and really feels like you're getting your money's worth at $45. The whole thing is new top to bottom, and tons of details sculpted everywhere. The legs are very articulated yet very strong. The cockpit holds 2 figures, and is well detailed; it has 4 pre-applied stickers on the walls for some of the detail, but I don't think it detracts from the toy, especially since I didn't have to put them in place.

The top hatch opens, and the whole top roof hinges up too. And it's not just blank underneath, there's sculpted detail inside the roof and on the interior covered sections as well. The "eye" viewports open up and have sculpting inside. The head rotates at the neck. The "chin" rotates a little side to side, and has a great range of motion up and down as well. Each leg is jointed in 5 different locations and all are strong ratchets, though some of the ratchet stops are a little far apart for my tastes, but there are still lots of good poses, just takes more work to find the little ones. The vehicle can stand extremely tall or squat down, even fold up. It stands with good footing if you don't go wild with the pose, it wobbles a bit while it's standing there but it doesn't fall down, just like the real mccoy.

Paint is mild, kind of a simple dusty look here and there. There's also some dark gray accent painting on the rear section, and other details around the "engine" area. It looks good, very accurate.

The movie style chin comes off and can be replaced with a twin-missile-firing one which is inspired by the original design but bigger. The hinge there is different and has less range, is also too weak to really hold itself up beyond default, but it's pretty decent. 1 button fires both missiles at the same time. It was a really good thing they included this, adds play value for kids (and Tycho).

One oddity, the neck comes off the body fairly easily when you lift by the head, nothing's broken, it's just the lock tabs aren't that secure. Without the head, the body loses its balance point since the head was so heavy that it was designed to only balance under load.

A buddy of mine asked if it smashes in to go with the logs, and no, it doesn't. It also doesn't do the chicken dance. No loss.

All in all, this is a real win item and I'm quite happy to have it. It's also the first Legacy Collection vehicle, much less the first OT vehicle, since the BMF, and it definitely is a good follow-up.

morpheus282
11-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm very pleased with the AT-ST as well. Hopefully if we get a carded driver it'll be a new sculpt instead of this one repackaged. I never bought the Han in disguise, so I didnt' realize this was a rehash of that figure. My only complaint about the vehicle other than the head being loose is that it doesn't have any range of motion other than turning. It would have been nice for it to tilt back a bit, but that's a minor point. We've been waiting far too long for a new tool on this walker, but it was worth it.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
It would have been nice to have a tilt in the head articulation, definitely.

I dunno if the wait itself was worth it, but the result is worth it.

morpheus282
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
The wait was definately worth it for me. If it had hit between 2000 and '04 or in '06 I would have probably had to pass on it. The purse strings were a little tight those years. For me, this was the perfect timing for the AT-ST to hit. I also don't think Hasbro would have done it nearly this well if it had come out sooner.

My purchases next year will probably be winding down a bit again with the arrival of my son at the end of December or beginning of January, so if Hasbro brings out something like this in the first half of the year I'm going to have to either evaluate priorities (like eating lunch at work) or sell off some of my older stuff. On the bright side, as long as my daughter likes Star Wars there's the benefit of being able to get her some of the new toys - even if she won't let me play with her BMF. :cry:

LTBasker
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Your evil laugh in the topic causes great fear in me, JT. I imagine you in a mysterious silhouetted appearance attempting to take over the world with your army of tiny AT-ST minions. You act unknowledgable about their reclusive placement, but it was your plan all along to have them placed in such sparsely traversed spots, wasn't it? So that random passersby couldn't pick up the diabolical eaves dropped during the AT-ST minions' evil plotting to take over the stores as the start to your domination. All of this brought by your manipulation of Hasbro reps at conventions to do your bidding; to coerce them into making these cursed AT-STs. You, a Jedi, have fooled all, but not I. I see that it was simply Jedi... Tricks.

Now that that's out in the open, I believe that despite the fact my Star Wars collecting has significantly waned, I'll have to pick this up. The last AT-ST I got was in 1995, and it hasn't aged well. Between constant play for over a decade, and it's structural integrity being compromised by intense heat from a fire in that time, it's legs simply can't hold it up anymore. I had to make crutches for it, but it had no arms - or shoulders - to support them with. The AT-ST's elderly life is cruel.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM
The wait was definately worth it for me. If it had hit between 2000 and '04 or in '06 I would have probably had to pass on it. The purse strings were a little tight those years. For me, this was the perfect timing for the AT-ST to hit. I also don't think Hasbro would have done it nearly this well if it had come out sooner.I'm not speaking to finances of course, but I remember when they released the AT-ST the first time back on the orange POTF2 packaging. It was such a lesson in frustration. And then we kept getting the mold over and over again, but the mold kept degrading so it'd be worse and worse. I do agree that the quality of vehicles has come way up in the last few years, but '99 had some good vehicles too (I'm thinking Naboo Fighter and AAT), POTJ had the TIE Bomber.

Also, the last few years have not been kind to OT collectors, there have been a lot of pacing issues, so we'd get something awesome like the BMF but it's released at a time when virtually no OT figures are on shelves. Then we don't see another OT vehicle for 16 months!

My purchases next year will probably be winding down a bit again with the arrival of my son at the end of December or beginning of January, so if Hasbro brings out something like this in the first half of the year I'm going to have to either evaluate priorities (like eating lunch at work) or sell off some of my older stuff. On the bright side, as long as my daughter likes Star Wars there's the benefit of being able to get her some of the new toys - even if she won't let me play with her BMF. :cry:Dang babies are so selfish. ;)

Your evil laugh in the topic causes great fear in me, JT. I imagine you in a mysterious silhouetted appearance attempting to take over the world with your army of tiny AT-ST minions. You act unknowledgable about their reclusive placement, but it was your plan all along to have them placed in such sparsely traversed spots, wasn't it? So that random passersby couldn't pick up the diabolical eaves dropped during the AT-ST minions' evil plotting to take over the stores as the start to your domination. All of this brought by your manipulation of Hasbro reps at conventions to do your bidding; to coerce them into making these cursed AT-STs. You, a Jedi, have fooled all, but not I. I see that it was simply Jedi... Tricks.I hide nothing, you all knew what you were getting into when you heard it was a Wal-mart exclusive. I could sell poison through them and still get buyers!

Wait, what do you mean "tiny minions"? The AT-ST is pretty big!

LTBasker
11-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Well by the standards of an actual AT-ST they'd be tiny, though, I suppose by our standard they are quite large, aren't they... Midget AT-ST minions, then? ...AT-ST Midgetions?

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
You've underestimated the Hasbro AT-ST for the last time, Lieutenant.

JetsAndHeels
11-08-2009, 01:42 AM
The only AT-ST I own is from the POTJ line...the one that was packaged with the ewok and the speeder bike. I am definately going to pick this new one up when I see it. It sounds like alot of the weaknesses in the POTJ one (and its predecessors) have been corrected.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 05:18 AM
From the ground up, this new AT-ST has that one licked by a country mile. Everything is different, more accurate, more stable, more articulated, and less crummy.

jonthejedi
11-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Well...all those attributes but the stable part.

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Really, you don't think this AT-ST is more stable than the POTJ release? Are you referring to the neck not locking down that well on the new one?

DarkJedi5
11-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Bah! Have tried three Walmarts in two days and struck out everywhere.... Now I have to wait until next wekend.... Anyone have a UPC or ISBN for this sucker?

bigbarada
11-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I've had no luck finding this thing at all. I'm assuming with the way that the Octuparra Droids are sitting around, that this thing will be very plentiful around Christmas time, especially if it's over $40. So I'm in no rush.

LTBasker
11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
From what I can tell from pictures of the AT-ST, the only thing I don't like are the "toes" (for lack of a better word). They seem incomplete. Hasbro put on the one sticking up, but didn't put the two that go on either side and touch the ground. Granted, I only really notice it because the original AT-ST sculpt exaggerated it and made them bigger than they should have been, but it looks weird with only the middle one. How many repaints do you suppose there will be before they fix that? :D

The figure is a snore, I don't really like the Han Solo figure and this one is the same with a different head. Oddly, this head seems to be the basis for the new Imperial Scanning Trooper I just got, and boy do I wish it had that head and body instead of this awful mess of a body. Hard to believe something with such poor articulation could have been released only 5 years ago. The figure comes with a standard Imperial blaster, but it's clear-banded into his hand so tight that the handle and butt of the gun are HEAVILY warped.

That's kinda funny since the first Imperial Scanning Trooper we ever got was made from the POTF2 AT-ST Driver, which was a new sculpt, and now the Scanning Trooper gets a new cool sculpt while the AT-ST Driver is in re-use purgatory. Hopefully it won't take them too long to release a new Driver from the Scanning Trooper body. He'll also need a clear plastic support that clips onto the AT-ST so he can be displayed as getting tossed off by Chewie.

sebillba
11-08-2009, 04:52 PM
He'll also need a clear plastic support that clips onto the AT-ST so he can be displayed as getting tossed off by Chewie.

:eek::eek::eek: I take it this phrase doesn't have quite the same connotations over there as it does in Britain??!!!

LTBasker
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
What, "clear plastic support?" :p

morpheus282
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
:eek::eek::eek: I take it this phrase doesn't have quite the same connotations over there as it does in Britain??!!!

Not even close to the British meaning. Too many good jokes go unnoticed due to the language difference. For example, the recurring "Married with Children" gag about Peggy's last name being Wanker (and her family from Wanker county) that wasn't caught by many on this side of the pond.

AmanaMatt
11-08-2009, 11:57 PM
My walmart had these out tonight and it looks great except for the giant RUBBER neck piece...I was like, 'What the Sith?'

sebillba
11-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Not even close to the British meaning. Too many good jokes go unnoticed due to the language difference. For example, the recurring "Married with Children" gag about Peggy's last name being Wanker (and her family from Wanker county) that wasn't caught by many on this side of the pond.

I always wondered if Peggy's name was a deliberate joke, or if it just had special meaning to us!! :D I was in Germany once, and spotted a shop called "Wankers" - I had to take a photo, stuff like that is comedy gold for us Brits!

(Sorry to go so OT in your AT-ST thread JT.)

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Bah! Have tried three Walmarts in two days and struck out everywhere.... Now I have to wait until next wekend.... Anyone have a UPC or ISBN for this sucker?Here's the UPC: 6 53569 43506 8

From what I can tell from pictures of the AT-ST, the only thing I don't like are the "toes" (for lack of a better word). They seem incomplete. Hasbro put on the one sticking up, but didn't put the two that go on either side and touch the ground. Granted, I only really notice it because the original AT-ST sculpt exaggerated it and made them bigger than they should have been, but it looks weird with only the middle one. How many repaints do you suppose there will be before they fix that? :DI didn't even know what you were talking about, had to look up pics. The Hoth AT-ST design has the blades that are exaggerated by the Kenner version (it also has the battalion logo embossed in the side which is only seen on Hoth). The Endor AT-ST doesn't have those blades really, only a cutaway box with a curve -
Hoth: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/68/Atsthoth.jpg
Endor: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/e9/At-st_large_pic.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: I take it this phrase doesn't have quite the same connotations over there as it does in Britain??!!!That cracked me up. :D

Not even close to the British meaning. Too many good jokes go unnoticed due to the language difference. For example, the recurring "Married with Children" gag about Peggy's last name being Wanker (and her family from Wanker county) that wasn't caught by many on this side of the pond.That running joke generally landed with the folks I knew.

My walmart had these out tonight and it looks great except for the giant RUBBER neck piece...I was like, 'What the Sith?'That is accurate to the movie design, you can even sorta see it in the Hoth pic I linked to above. The Kenner vintage design is what was horribly inaccurate. On the new Hasbro toy, it's hard plastic.

LTBasker
11-09-2009, 04:09 AM
I didn't even know what you were talking about

People usually don't. :crazed:

had to look up pics. The Hoth AT-ST design has the blades that are exaggerated by the Kenner version (it also has the battalion logo embossed in the side which is only seen on Hoth). The Endor AT-ST doesn't have those blades really, only a cutaway box with a curve -
Hoth: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/68/Atsthoth.jpg
Endor: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/e/e9/At-st_large_pic.jpg

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. So they basically made a hybrid toe, that's cool then.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine and I went to England in college. We have pictures (somewhere) of us posing in front of stores called Dolemite and Bunghole.

I saw an endcap of these Saturday. But the line was hellaciously long--we're talking out the garden center, past toys, and into small appliances long. I have no clue why. This is Wal-Mart, not Ross. I figured I'd check back during the week and see if it's worth getting. No Dewbacks, unfortunately.

Slicker
11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Does anyone have a link to pictures of this? I seriously never even knew that it was coming out.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. So they basically made a hybrid toe, that's cool then.No, the ROTJ toe is basically what we got on the new toy, but they didn't cut the center of the box around that toe out. The Kenner one is an exaggeration of the ESB toe, plain and simple.

I saw an endcap of these Saturday. But the line was hellaciously long--we're talking out the garden center, past toys, and into small appliances long. I have no clue why. This is Wal-Mart, not Ross. I figured I'd check back during the week and see if it's worth getting. No Dewbacks, unfortunately.The WM I went to always has long lines and too few employees at the registers, I got into one of the lines and then barely heard a clerk say customers with 5 or less items can check out at the customer service desk right there, so I rushed over and waited behind nobody. Very lucky, because I was in a huge rush.

I would think you're safe on not picking it up that day, but don't wait too long, in another 2 weeks or so it'll be harder to find thanks to holiday rush.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd rather get it locally if I can. I hate shopping at WM enough as it is, but at least if I go to the one down the street, the sales tax stays around here. Not that I suspect it makes much difference if I buy nothing but the occasional toy at WM, and get everything else at Target or Costco, two towns over.

AmanaMatt
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info on the rubber neck, Jt....

This is real cool, just gotta see if I have room....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Does anyone have a link to pictures of this? I seriously never even knew that it was coming out.
Here (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehATST.asp) you are, guy.

Slicker
11-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Wow. Very nice. How the heck did I miss this coming out?

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Your mom was in the way.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow. Very nice. How the heck did I miss this coming out?

Don't know... the big reveal was at Comic Con and that other site had their pictorial page up about a month ago.

Slicker
11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Okay, so I'm not as out of the loop as I thought I was. Much appreciated.

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow. Very nice. How the heck did I miss this coming out?You're on the other side of the planet aboard an aircraft carrier, that MIGHT have something to do with it. ;)

Your mom was in the way.Ugh, look what I brought back.

Turbowars
11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
This version is also missing the Leaf Spring like things on the back of the ankles.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2009, 11:22 PM
This version is also missing the Leaf Spring like things on the back of the ankles.

I wouldn't say missing... it is the ROTJ sculpt which does not have the leaf spring so as far as I'm concerned it's not missing at all!

Turbowars
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't say missing... it is the ROTJ sculpt which does not have the leaf spring so as far as I'm concerned it's not missing at all!I guess you are right. I doubt Hasbro will retool the leg for the upcoming Hoth release.

Slicker
11-11-2009, 06:55 AM
You're on the other side of the planet aboard an aircraft carrier, that MIGHT have something to do with it. ;)
Derf! I forgot about that! Thanks! ;)

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 04:37 AM
Sure thing, any time you need reminding. :D

DarkJedi5
11-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Got mine yesterday and they're pretty sweet! Bought two and an extra of the shield bunker bps (cause they were on sale at Target) and I had an instant Endor dio on my desk! I love it when Hasbro turns out real winners like this one.

JediTricks
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
How much was the BP on sale for?

DarkJedi5
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
It wasn't really that cheap but it was $21 before tax which for my area was about $5 off making it a pretty good deal. Hopefully they'll sell some more and I'll finally see the other Endor set and Felucia ones on the shelf.

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 02:45 AM
I finally found this today and picked one up. Great toy! I'm very happy with the final result, this is about as good as I could have hoped for in this scale.

Mine doesn't have any problems with the head falling off. I've picked it up several times by the head and everything stays together perfectly.

I do agree that the pack in figure is crap, but that's not unusual for pack-in figures. I think we've just gotten a little spoiled by the excellent pack-ins for the recent exclusives, like the Green Leader A-Wing and the new Dewback. I'm pretty sure we'll see the Scanning Trooper rereleased with a new head and helmet as an AT-ST Driver (who was, oddly enough, one of my favorite vintage figures as a kid).

Anyways, it was a lot of money (considering the last AT-ST I bought only cost me $20 in 1996), but I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

JediTricks
11-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Keep in mind, it's larger, more articulated, and more detailed than the POTF2 version, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to get to $45.

Surprised to hear the head on yours stays on. I'm not in the mood to return mine over a minor thing like that, but glad to know the option is there for now if I change my mind.

Slicker
11-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Can anyone help a brother out with this and the Dewback? I can PayPal or send a check...

gba88
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Can anyone help a brother out with this and the Dewback? I can PayPal or send a check...

Dewback is on wm.com... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11090864

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Where would you want them shipped to? Neither of them are really that heavy, it's just going to be some awkward dimensions that might jack up the shipping cost. I'm not sure if you are a loose or MIP collector, but if you don't mind them being out of the package, then that might save quite a bit on shipping. But I understand completely if you want them unopened.

Anyways, always happy to do what I can to help out a fellow service member (even if you are in the Navy). :)

Slicker
11-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Where would you want them shipped to? Neither of them are really that heavy, it's just going to be some awkward dimensions that might jack up the shipping cost. I'm not sure if you are a loose or MIP collector, but if you don't mind them being out of the package, then that might save quite a bit on shipping. But I understand completely if you want them unopened.

Anyways, always happy to do what I can to help out a fellow service member (even if you are in the Navy). :)I'd get it all shipped home to my moms in Michigan. I'm a MIB guy so if they're THAT awkward for someone to ship I could probably buy from eBay or something.

I appreciate the looking out for me (even if you were in the Army.) ;)

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I'd get it all shipped home to my moms in Michigan. I'm a MIB guy so if they're THAT awkward for someone to ship I could probably buy from eBay or something.

I appreciate the looking out for me (even if you were in the Army.) ;)

Well, I did some measuring and you can get one MIB AT-ST and up to 2 MIB Dewbacks into a 15"x16"x16" box (which can be found at Walmart for about $5). A box of that size won't get penalized by the Post Office for being too awkwardly shaped, so then it just become a matter of weight. One AT-ST and one Dewback weighs about 3-4 pounds. So that's not bad either. If you give me an area code, I could probably give you a fairly accurate shipping estimate.

Darkross
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Here's the UPC: 6 53569 43506 8

Thanks JediTricks!

TheDarthVader
11-18-2009, 12:50 AM
I found these at wal mart. The At-St was way too high so I passed. Too much money.

bigbarada
11-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Keep in mind, it's larger, more articulated, and more detailed than the POTF2 version, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to get to $45.

Yeah, considering the price of everything in the line has nearly doubled since 1995, then taking into account that this is an all-new, larger, improved version AND a store exclusive; the price is actually pretty reasonable. It could have easily been in the $50-$60 range.

TheDarthVader
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
But I am not sure what justifies the price being double. The figure price is not quite double. I bought my POTF2 figures for $4.99. Now they are $7.99. That is not quite doubled. My old POTF2 AT-ST was $19.99. So at $43 that is more than doubled.

Old Fossil
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
But I am not sure what justifies the price being double. The figure price is not quite double. I bought my POTF2 figures for $4.99. Now they are $7.99. That is not quite doubled. My old POTF2 AT-ST was $19.99. So at $43 that is more than doubled.

I'm with you on this one, DA. For $43 they can keep the AT-ST.

bigbarada
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Well, the difference being that the 1995 version was just a straight rerelease of the vintage toy. This is a 100% new toy and is an upgrade that, to me, is nearly on the same level as the upgrade from the vintage Millenium Falcon to the BMF (which brought with it a tripling of the price from 1995 to 2008).

Not to mention the 1995 version didn't include a pack-in figure (which would have pushed the price of the 1995 version up to $25, which makes this new version less than double the price).

Also, exclusive vehicles have always cost more.

Either way, I'm just happy this thing was made and didn't even flinch at the price.

DarkJedi5
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
BigB is right on with this one. Like I said, I bought two and have ZERO regrets. This is easily one of the top five vehicles of all time.

TheDarthVader
11-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Well dang it! I guess I will have to buy one now with those comments, BigB and DarkJedi.

Well, maybe not. Hmmmm........still pondering the purchase.

morpheus282
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
At $43 I almost didn't pull the trigger on the AT-ST, even after spending almost two months checking Wal-Mart every other day for it. Ater opening it, I'm glad I did (even if the figure does pull an 7.3/10 on the suck scale).

gba88
11-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey guys... for anyone on the fence about this: i'd definitely pick it up. I had to run around to 3 different walmarts to find it. Here's the thing... local wm had a handful (no endcap)...i passed, they were gone in about 4 days. went to another wm while on a toy hunt....passed on it b/c i thought i'd just pick it up at the last on eon my trip. Well......the last wm had about 30 last week and now they are completely gone. No, they were not moved, they were sold out completely. So then I ended up going BACK to the second wm to get it. Geez.

morpheus282
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I got some of my older stuff out of storage today (dang, I've got a lot of crap) and among the loot was my ooooold AT-ST from 1980 or so. It's now on the shelf with the new AT-ST and my 1997 or so AT-AT. It doesn't look that bad, but it definately looks dated. With a nice repaint it could easily just be a different, single passenger model of AT-ST than the new one.

Old Fossil
11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I got some of my older stuff out of storage today (dang, I've got a lot of crap)

And now you've got more crap!

morpheus282
11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
And now you've got more crap!

Yes, I do. I'm hoping eBay will help me lighten my load a bit.

bigbarada
11-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I got some of my older stuff out of storage today (dang, I've got a lot of crap) and among the loot was my ooooold AT-ST from 1980 or so. It's now on the shelf with the new AT-ST and my 1997 or so AT-AT. It doesn't look that bad, but it definately looks dated. With a nice repaint it could easily just be a different, single passenger model of AT-ST than the new one.

Well, it's not that the vintage Scout Walker is dated, it's just that it's based on a completely different walker design. If you want to get technical about it, this new Legacy AT-ST is not an update of the vintage toy, it's actually the first time that the ROTJ Walker has ever been made as a 3 3/4" scale toy.

What we had previously was just the ESB Scout Walker design passed off as a ROTJ vehicle, even though the ESB Scout Walker never once shows up in ROTJ.

Anyways, I'm probably going to buy a second one here soon.

morpheus282
11-22-2009, 11:15 AM
That was my point exactly. The overall design of the vintage AT-ST mold looks prety good, even next to the new one. The only thing that really dates it in my opinion is the use of stickers instead of paint. The seam down the front of the cockpit also looks a little odd. Now I just need more room to set up my army of walkers.

JediTricks
11-22-2009, 10:48 PM
The vintage one is way too small though, this new one is 75% bigger, can hold 2 figures, has the proper design, and more articulation. The 1980 one is the Hoth design right down to the emblem on the side, but it's also just not that big and very inaccurately detailed.

The idea that this new one isn't somehow the equivalent of 2 "starfighter-price" vehicles eludes me though, it totally is and to me that's a justified $45 pricepoint, especially when it has a figure come with it (albeit a crummy design).

morpheus282
11-22-2009, 11:20 PM
75% bigger? - don't see this. At the hips they're about the same size. The head may be larger in the new one, but I don't see 75% difference. 30% at the most.

Holds 2 figures? - Yes, no arguments at all there.

Has the proper design? - For Endor, yes. For Hoth, not really. I agree with bigbarada that the vintage is more the Hoth design where the wonderous piece of plastic gracing my shelves today is the proper 2-passenger Endor design.

Not that big? - That's a maybe, but it's still a frog. I think the old Hoth design that we saw in the vintage mold is plenty big. I'll need to go back and watch the battle of Hoth again to be sure, but I'm not certain that that AT-ST was a 2-passenger design and I think it's relatively close to the correct size for the 3-3/4" figures. The AT-AT is a different story, and I happen to be very fond of my AT-AT.

Very inaccurately detailed? - Probably. We need a rescuplt of the Hoth AT-ST, but for now I'm happy with the new Endor model.

Now let's all join in a chorus of "Oh Happy Day" for our new AT-ST sculpt and proceed with hounding Hasbro to make a more accurate AT-AT. :D

gba88
11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
75% bigger? - don't see this. At the hips they're about the same size. The head may be larger in the new one, but I don't see 75% difference. 30% at the most.

Holds 2 figures? - Yes, no arguments at all there.

Has the proper design? - For Endor, yes. For Hoth, not really. I agree with bigbarada that the vintage is more the Hoth design where the wonderous piece of plastic gracing my shelves today is the proper 2-passenger Endor design.

Not that big? - That's a maybe, but it's still a frog. I think the old Hoth design that we saw in the vintage mold is plenty big. I'll need to go back and watch the battle of Hoth again to be sure, but I'm not certain that that AT-ST was a 2-passenger design and I think it's relatively close to the correct size for the 3-3/4" figures. The AT-AT is a different story, and I happen to be very fond of my AT-AT.

Very inaccurately detailed? - Probably. We need a rescuplt of the Hoth AT-ST, but for now I'm happy with the new Endor model.

Now let's all join in a chorus of "Oh Happy Day" for our new AT-ST sculpt and proceed with hounding Hasbro to make a more accurate AT-AT. :D

I see all these hoth vs jedi comparisons...could someone be nice enough to do a bulleted list of the major differences? Thanks if someone can :)