PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Jedi?

Titan529
11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I was just wondering what toys(current) there are that are shorter and could be used as jedis. Ive got Evan Piell and Yaddle and Yoda but was wondering if there were ones i dont have or know about.

Thanks very much :D

sebillba
11-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Here's one for ya - Master Tsui Choi. http://www.rebelscum.com/tacOrder66-3.asp

Titan529
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you. thats a good one. Is there more? any toy that isnt a jedi but could be easily madfe into one. I tend to do that a lot like the recent Nikto gunner and a wookie i got anything like them?

clone157
11-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't forget about the Ashla/jempla two pack from EPII or the 2- pack that had Yoda. Also, there is an exclusive 5- pack from Disney theme parks that had, I think, 2 more younglings. There was also a Nikto Jedi from EPII as well.

sebillba
11-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Well, if you want short non-jedi figures, how about the ewoks? There are plenty of those to choose from. Or jawas? Also Watto and the pod racers, they're all pretty short, and could make for a more interesting and varied selection of custom jedi - after all, Tsui Choi is the same species as Ratts Tyerell. Another contender is Kabe from the Cantina.

Slicker
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Definitely some ewok Jedi's. Oh, wait. They're not intelligent enough to be Jedi's. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Ugnaught Jedi. Lucas hasn't put the kibosh on them the way he has Ewok Jedi yet, has he?

Every single podracing figure is short (with no in-film explanation), could do Gasgano, Sebulba, Ody Mandrell, Pit Droids ;), Teemto Pagalies, Dud Bolt, Mars Guo, "At the Races" Padme, and Clegg Holdfast.

Also, is Zutton too big? And how about Baby Boba and the Clone Crew? Salacious Crumb? There's precedent for that in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Dice Ibegon? Could use Kabe from the Cantina. After all, all it takes now to be a Jedi is a cloak and the ability to hold a flashlight.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Lucas's kibosh on Ewok Jedi is the reason he should get kicked in the nads, hard. Implying the Force is accessible to all beings, green-lighting nonsentients who use the Force to hunt, and suddenly saying Ewoks and Wookiees are "too stupid" to use the Force (especially when the Wooks are super-advanced, and Ewoks aren't dumb, just primitive) was a really bad call.

Titan529
11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Thank you all very much. I do have the Dice Ibignon and the Tsui Choi. I was thinking about getting the Mars Guo and Dud bolt and trying to modify them to give them more articulation. Also the Teemto as well. Is it generally very difficult to do?

I was thinkin about simply cutting the arms and glueing ball joints in and doing something similar to the shoulder and maybe the legs.

pbarnard
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Thank you all very much. I do have the Dice Ibignon and the Tsui Choi. I was thinking about getting the Mars Guo and Dud bolt and trying to modify them to give them more articulation. Also the Teemto as well. Is it generally very difficult to do?

I was thinkin about simply cutting the arms and glueing ball joints in and doing something similar to the shoulder and maybe the legs.

Not such a simple modification. It will require wire framing of the joint, and you really would have to go with cut or slit joints ala the Rebel Fleet Troopers.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Lucas's kibosh on Ewok Jedi is the reason he should get kicked in the nads, hard. Implying the Force is accessible to all beings, green-lighting nonsentients who use the Force to hunt, and suddenly saying Ewoks and Wookiees are "too stupid" to use the Force (especially when the Wooks are super-advanced, and Ewoks aren't dumb, just primitive) was a really bad call.It's the hair, too dangerous to have around lightsabers. :p

I don't agree here, I think having EVERYBODY be a friggin' Jedi is getting old, it takes away from who they are as their own people. Ewoks have no interest in the outside world, they are primitive warriors only looking out for their tribe, where would they be drawn into a situation where they'd learn the Force, where they'd be able to wield a saber, where they'd be wizards? Hunting the universe for Force-adept babies is creepy and stupid and unrealistic, they shouldn't have added this to the saga, it is far-fetched and makes the existing Jedi seem even more like an unachievable birthright.

When every race is a Jedi, everybody becomes homogenized, they're all one big group of generic. Tuskens and Jawas shouldn't be Jedi. I don't see you complaining about the lack of Geonosian Jedi. Being a Jedi shouldn't make everybody into a joke, there should be something unique about some types of SW characters. Isn't it bad enough that everybody and his grandmother are Bounty Hunters?

I mean, how is this not the stupidest thing of all time? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:EwokJedi.JPG

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't say every race had to be a Jedi, but saying there are races that absolutely cannot be Jedi undermines the entire mystic "all life contributes to it" nature of the Force as much as the whole midichlorion thing. Every race should have the potential to become Force sensitive. Even Geonosians, though I'd imagine it would work differently due to their having a hive mind. (I would think that, even if a Geonosian were to be found to be Force sensitive post-ROTJ, where there's no war involving them, the collective memory of being on the wrong side of the Clone Wars would keep that Geonosian from signing up.)

Even if Lucasfilm had said what you said, that some races shouldn't be shown as Jedi just to preserve the image of them as a collective race, it'd be fine. But Lucas actually said Wookiees and Ewoks aren't smart enough to use the Force, which is directly in the face of an awful lot of evidence that came before, much of it in the films. (Wookiees are explicitly said to be advanced. Ewoks I've always seen as much like Native American tribes in present-day America back in the 15th-18th centuries. They're in no way inferior, but are less technologically savvy than the invaders, at least initially. But they're still curious and adaptable. As we see in ROTJ, Ewoks can pilot speeder bikes and use blaster pistols by the end of the Endor battle. Kinda like the Native Americans adopting firearms, horses, and other European imports as quickly as they did in most areas. Pocahontas is never remembered as traveling to England, getting married, and basically living as if she was a white British woman for the rest of her days, which she did. And Squanto is always portrayed as a quaint local who teaches the pilgrims to fertilize their crops with fish; most people don't know he actually traveled to Europe and returned to work as a translator some fifteen years prior to the pilgrims even arriving. Much the same with Ewoks. We've seen evidence of off-planet Ewoks in the post-ROTJ galaxy; given the magical nature of Endor's native species, probably due to some sort of Force concentration, an Ewok Jedi in the NJO or Legacy era wouldn't seem too farfetched to me at all.)

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Every race might have the potential, but aren't there now. But by not putting a hard and fast rule on why they can't, you get goofy crap like that Ewok Jedi sneaking in, so every race does end up having to be a Jedi because some EU artist has a fetish for a particular alien race or is bored of using only certain types. A line must be drawn, some SW races need to be selected out for their specific behaviors or else they become just another generic alien (or would you prefer a Yoda-species bounty hunter and a Hutt Jedi?), it's too much of a stretch in the mind of most readers to buy that an Ewok can be disciplined enough and skilled enough to be a Jedi Knight, so when you put it on the page, you end up with something that stands out as silly, distracting, and foolish. Even the trees are part of the Force, do you want to see an Ent Jedi???

Lucas said Ewoks and Tuskens and Dud Bolt's race weren't smart enough, his reasoning for Wookiees was not related to that since he pulled them out of ROTJ for being too smart and too comfortable with technology. Dark Horse is actually the one who said that Lucas said that some races lack the subtlety of thought to learn to use the Force, that seemed to be where the "too stupid" thing on Ewoks came from.

I don't remember any Ewoks using blasters in ROTJ, and they have to ask 3PO how to drive the speederbike, and it's not like that goes all that well, it's not like hardcore evasive maneuvers were revealed in that scene, he went straight then jumped onto a vine.

You can't compare Pocahontas to this, she was still a human being, we are talking about fictional races from the mind of the very person who gave us the edict that some races lack the subtlety of thought to do Jedi training. While these races might be allegorical to human peoples, it's not one you can extend infinitely.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I didn't say Paploo could drive well, but he did catch on quickly. I never got the impression that C-3PO told him anything about the bike. It always seemed to me that the Rebels were discussing how to deal with the guards, Paploo totally took the initiative and mimicked what he'd seen Imperials do, and C-3PO just happened to be the one who saw that he'd snuck away to steal a bike. Regarding the blaster, we don't see an Ewok use one, but we do see one holding it properly. Since it doesn't take a PhD in rocket science to figure out the basics (point at target and squeeze trigger), I've always thought it was implied that at least one Ewok used it, though probably not with very good results. (Going back to the analogy, it's similar to how invaded peoples around the globe adapted to firearms when they got their hands on them--the "primitive" people of Japan even reverse-engineered Portuguese guns and used them to expel all Europeans for a few centuries... or better than the Portuguese and English were using them, it would seem.)

I used the example of Pocahontas and Squanto because, initially, at least, the Ewoks were intended to be analogous to "primitive" natives in the real world, and to show that they could conquer better-equipped invaders under the right circumstances. Prior to Lucas saying Ewoks lacked the mental subtlety to use the Force (despite some pretty strong semi-canonical evidence that they used magic, which, in Star Wars, means the Force) and, therefore, saying some races in Star Wars are inferior, there was no reason to believe they were vastly different from Native Americans, who often adapted better than they're credited with. I was just pointing out that two historical Native Americans who come across as the "quaintest" in modern retellings were far more traveled and "worldly" than most people realize. We know that even the Ewoks of Bright Tree Village had previous encounters with aliens, including humans, before the Imperial occupation. There have been multiple instances of Ewoks traveling off-world in the post-ROTJ EU, including Star Tours, if you consider that canon. If at least some of them are not adverse to traveling offworld, and the race seems to be especially Force-sensitive, a Jedi or two wouldn't seem too farfetched.

You say multiple species as Jedi is a bad idea, but keep in mind we're talking about several tens of thousands of years of history, with many hundreds or thousands of Jedi at any given time. And there's already been a Hutt Jedi, a Jedi very similar to an Ent, and a Tusken Jedi. Okay, that last one got retconned and he was human... which also involved a retcon to specifically say Tuskens weren't barbaric humans in the first place. Then again, like I said, if they just wanted to keep some "mystique" about some races, why not just put them off-limits to become Jedi, say it's to maintain the established image of that race, and not say it requires some previously unmentioned "subtlety of thought." Which, let's be frank, a slave kid on Tatooine wouldn't have, because small kids tend to lack anything resembling subtlety of thought.

Maybe this should get spun into a new thread so this one's not hijacked any further? :D