PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The LAAT/c Gunship Vehicle From AOTC?

Tycho
11-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the LAAT/c Gunship vehicle from Attack of the Clones).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Low Altitude Assault Transport / Carrier (LAAT/c) Gunship vehicle from Attack of the Clones?

This vehicle is not possible to offer with a simple resculpt of the current Republic Gunship vehicle. Though similar, and probably in "the Star Wars universe's reality," the same size, I would rather see the LAAT/C produced so that it could actually carry the current AT-TE toy if Hasbro is going to bother doing it.

I think the ship should fire missiles from its weapons, maybe 2 or 4 of them, just like our current Republic Gunship toy, and the vehicle be basically very similar.

Do you want this made?

Would you spend $100 for something like this? It's going to have to be bigger than the current Gunship!

How do you think the LAAT/C would sell if produced?

DarkJedi5
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm torn on this one. I would easily buy one that could carry the AT-TE. If it doesn't then I pass cause frankly, what's the point? The problem is that if this could carry the AT-TE then it would be HUGE. The problem there is what little kid is going to be able to carry this thing by itself let alone loaded with the AT-TE? I think kids would like the idea but would be frustrated with it. It would easily weigh more than the BMF when loaded with the walker and I think that might hurt sales. (You know, there's always that cool friend that has the awesome huge toy and you play with it at their house to decide if you want one and I could see kids deciding they didn't really want it after trying to get their hands around it.) Though it was featured prominently in the last episode and has turned up a couple times before. Anyway, like I said, if it fits a walker, I'm in.

pbarnard
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
If it can't carry any of the vehicles, it shouldn't be made. But even if it was made, since I didn't and don't plan on buying an AT-TE, I wouldn't have any need to buy this one.

Tycho
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I forgot to post the picture. So it's now attached. However, I'll weigh in earlier than usual: I don't really need this thing. I did buy 2 AT-TEs but I want mine on the ground lending infantry support.

The LAAT/C looked really cool in the movie and it was great to see how the walkers could be rapidly deployed. However, I want to display them deloyed and I'll show regular gunships offering air support.

Ando
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm in for 2 of them.

I have the LEGO version and LOVE it!

Hasbro would need to make a good strong mechanism to hold the AT-TE (and if they were really smart, they'd make it so it could carry just about anything such as a Turbo Tank, Republic Fighter Tank, and or an AT-AP).

I would pay the $100.00 needed for this toy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd say yes, and hopefully it would turn out well.

Devo
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
If it could actually carry the AT-TE it'd be one big expensive bugger. But as a fan of the geonosis battle I think I'd buy it. Dammit I'd probably feel I had to buy another AT-TE aswell because I wouldn't want my only AT-TE having this giant ship hovering over it.

DarkArtist
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
i would love to see it but think it would prove impossible for Hasbro to do. one it would be larger than the current model Gunship and might even be larger then the BMF if they did it to scale. I mean the sucker would have to carry the AT-TE which is a fairly large size vehicle.

clone157
11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Heck yeah I would buy this ship! I, too, would probably need to buy a second AT-TE to go with it. I have waited for a while for this one. Certain problems do come to mind though. Mainly the shortsightedness of Hasbro would cause them to either use new legs for the AT-TE, or use a simple strap method to hold the beastie. There should be a hole for the cannon to stick through the cockpit area, or some way to store it after removing it from the walker to be more flush with the LAAT/c. The rear end of the walker would probably stick out past the LAAT/c, with the wings over the rear-most legs. The strap would probably be the best option, as it would also work for the Turbo Tank. As far as the Assault Tank, check out the thread in the Clone Wars section for the Republic shuttle for my ideas on their transport. This should use launchers similar to those of the TRU Gunship for the nose and thrusters. If it could be used with other ships as well (turbo tank, please), repaints with new nose art would be welcomed.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
No. Absolutely not. I'd buy Ahsoka Tano vs Hannah Montana sheets for my bed first. Not because I hate the design; it's definitely one of the better prequel designs, and I love that the Gunship comes in many distinct variations, like a real military vehicle. It's just that the current, woefully undersized Gunship sells for about $80. This would have to be a majorly upsized Gunship variant to work with the existing AT-TE, I think more than twice the size of the current one. We're probably talking about $120, at the very (very optimistic) least, for the LAAT/c. Add to that the fact that it's so totally useless without the AT-TE that they should be packed together, and we're probably talking about a vehicle in the $220-$275 range. (I doubt Hasbro would sell the AT-TE for less than $75 in this equation, despite more and more winding up at Ross for half that lately.)

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM
No way! What does it do when it's not carrying the AT-TE? Nothing. This is a toy that would serve very little purpose, and it'd cost around $100, and when you put the AT-TE down the legs would pop right off the body anyway. And it'd be heavy, and just no fun at all. Totally unrealistic.

Darth Jax
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
no. i have no need for this ship.

Blue2th
11-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Yup, I would buy it no problem. It would be huge but awesome. They just had a few in the last episode of Clone Wars too.

I would buy it in any scale.

It would have been a cool vehicle to have in scale with the last Action Fleet AT-TE, I would prefer, or in scale with the last Titanium one to put on top of it also.

morpheus282
11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd like to have one, but I don't think Hasbro could make it work, make it look right, and make it affordable. At $70 for the current same old gunship with new doors and guns, I don't see how they could pull this one off for less than $160.

pbarnard
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I see a way for this being possible, but it is more like a "special" AT-TE. Essentially Target or TRU decides they want a premium exclusive (ha!), and the LAAT/c is essentially just an added set of pieces to the existing AT-TE mold which would than retail in the 150-175 neighborhood. Still wouldn't touch it, but probably the way it would have to go to be released.

Snowtrooper
11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
If it would carry and release an AT-TE and cost around $100, than I'd definitely be one. I think they could make two spring loaded arms that grab the center of the AT-TE on each side, missing the center legs of course and would snap open to release the AT-TE at the push of a button. They could also make the arms adjustable to accomodate the Turbo Tank as well. But as mentioned before, the weight becomes a real problem for kids. I could also see alot of busted AT-TE legs if this thing were made.

Tycho
12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
The LAAT/c Republic Gunship (ATTE carrier) won your votes by 9-4 in favor of having Hasbro make this.

morpheus282
12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
I just don't see how they can possibly produce the LAAT/c in a way that would be remotely accurate and financially viable. I'd love to see it made though.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 07:25 AM
I'd echo Morpheus' comments.

People here want this toy made, however.

Darth Metalmute
02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
This vehicle leads the way to the arguement, "If they build this, why not a Star Destroyer?" This vehicle would need to be 4 feet long, reaching a realistic size for a Star Destroyer. There is absolutely no play value for this ship and as Hasbro says, if kids won't buy it, they won't make it.

Can you imagine kids playing with this?

Picture a childs room, 10'X10', with a bed, dresser, and a desk. On the floor are several AAT's and nothing else, as Hasbro hasn't given us the alternative to the AT-TE. On the bed is 2 AT-TE's and the LAAT/c. Now picture that you are the parent, and are downstairs watching the Super Bowl. From upstairs you hear, "Dad! Can you come up here and land my AT-TE's? They're too heavy."

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I guess it's too late for me to vote, but I would have to vote 'no' as well.

I love the idea of the ship and it gives Star Wars that real world military feel; but it's just impossible in this scale. The current Gunship is woefully undersized compared to the AT-TE toy and even that barely fits through doorways with it's wingspan. So there is no way this version of the Gunship would ever see the light of day.

I'd buy it as a model kit or if they were still making Action Fleet, but that's it.

Maradona
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't see Hasbro making this as is directly, but I'd definitely buy more than one. Maybe when Hasbro gets around to updating the Gunship (which many of us, I'm sure, hope they would) they could make the bottom of the ship detachable. With the addition of an attachable clamp to the ceiling of the interior of the ship, it could foreseeably hold the AT-TE, but it would need to have a strong grip. In this way, Hasbro could make the Gunship, which appears so frequently in the CW show, more versatile.

DarkJedi5
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
My vehicles are all packed away at the moment but if some one has access to a gunship and an AT-TE maybe we could see a picture of the gunship over it to get an idea of how much bigger the LAAT would actually have to be to fit the AT-TE.

Ando
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
My vehicles are all packed away at the moment but if some one has access to a gunship and an AT-TE maybe we could see a picture of the gunship over it to get an idea of how much bigger the LAAT would actually have to be to fit the AT-TE.

If you look at the LEGO versions of these three vehicles, you'll be able to tell how big the LAAT/c needs to be and how big it is compared to the standard gunship.

Unfortunately it's not a slightly modified version of the standard LAAT/i, but a completely different ship altogether.

The LAAT/c has a cockpit with seating for 1 and the overall body is longer to accomodate the AT-TE to fit underneath. The wings are also missing the composite laser turrets, as well as the top mounted twin rocket launcher pods.

There's also the clamps that hold the AT-TE in place during transport that also act as rear landing gear (on the LEGO version at least) due to the ship not having anything else to rest on when landed.

I'm sure the LEGO scale isn't that much better than Hasbro's, but it gives a pretty good idea of where everything is in relation to one another.

I still want 1 or 2 of these from Hasbro, even though they'd be insanely big and expensive and REALLY heaving when loaded with an AT-TE.

morpheus282
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't see Hasbro making this as is directly, but I'd definitely buy more than one. Maybe when Hasbro gets around to updating the Gunship (which many of us, I'm sure, hope they would) they could make the bottom of the ship detachable. With the addition of an attachable clamp to the ceiling of the interior of the ship, it could foreseeably hold the AT-TE, but it would need to have a strong grip. In this way, Hasbro could make the Gunship, which appears so frequently in the CW show, more versatile.

With the current (TRU) version of the gunship being $70, I'm hoping they never get around to a full update on it. If they made it much bigger and costlier, I'd have to pass on it. As is I've only got enough room for a single gunship in my collection.

TheDarthVader
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
If I can still vote, I will vote for NO.

Ando
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
With the current (TRU) version of the gunship being $70, I'm hoping they never get around to a full update on it. If they made it much bigger and costlier, I'd have to pass on it. As is I've only got enough room for a single gunship in my collection.

It's up to $79.99 now (at least at the 2 tha I go to).

JEDIpartner
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
There's no way this would work with the current incarnation of the Gunship mould. It is far too small to haul an AT-TE under its frame.

DarkJedi5
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
If you look at the LEGO versions of these three vehicles, you'll be able to tell how big the LAAT/c needs to be and how big it is compared to the standard gunship.

Unfortunately it's not a slightly modified version of the standard LAAT/i, but a completely different ship altogether.

The LAAT/c has a cockpit with seating for 1 and the overall body is longer to accomodate the AT-TE to fit underneath. The wings are also missing the composite laser turrets, as well as the top mounted twin rocket launcher pods.

There's also the clamps that hold the AT-TE in place during transport that also act as rear landing gear (on the LEGO version at least) due to the ship not having anything else to rest on when landed.

I'm sure the LEGO scale isn't that much better than Hasbro's, but it gives a pretty good idea of where everything is in relation to one another.

I still want 1 or 2 of these from Hasbro, even though they'd be insanely big and expensive and REALLY heaving when loaded with an AT-TE.

Well, what I really meant is, how much bigger would the LAAT/c have to be (than the gunship) to carry an AT-TE. The argument was made that the LAAT/i is already as big as it could reasonably get and I wanted to see if it was at all close or if there's no chance we'll see one that can accommodate the AT-TE.

Ando
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, what I really meant is, how much bigger would the LAAT/c have to be (than the gunship) to carry an AT-TE. The argument was made that the LAAT/i is already as big as it could reasonably get and I wanted to see if it was at all close or if there's no chance we'll see one that can accommodate the AT-TE.

Ah, I see...

I think the LAAT/c would have to be at least 1.5 times bigger than the LAAT/i to fully accommodate the AT-TE.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, you guys can continue to vote indefinitely. This is an informal polling (and an interesting discussion). But you can only have a vote counted once, so if you are changing your position, please make it easier on me and specify so.

JediTricks
02-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Drat, I really wanted to vote "no" on this one a second time. :p